GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-11 | 06:08 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rjacket
Interesting ........
They got 4 doors. The Equus has good proportions but looks like some LS 430/460 blend with no aggression at all. Very homely and understated.

Originally Posted by CAK 500
An eagle-eyed Lexus Enthusiast reader spotted this. Nice!!
om/2011/04/15/lexus-lf-gh-equipped-with-night-vision/[/URL]
Wow what a good eye!

Originally Posted by dunnojack
now we know for sure lexus is going after bmw. it's nice for lexus to finally catch up on the tech front.

the new interior does give off a bmw vibe.
B/C it has HUD? Funny when Lexus led with hybrids, a real technology I didn't see hardly anyone say "BMW finally caught up".

lets see HUD vs a hybrid powertrain. Which one is really hard to do? I think the latter.

I'm glad Lexus is offering it but its not that huge of a deal. I do have to say I enjoy the HUD on BMWs and Lexus models today.
Old 04-15-11 | 06:49 PM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by *Batman*
The BMW interior is the benchmark in this class - especially if you order the nappa extended leather.
I dont disagree with BMW having a great job with leather, but damn I would never want to have those seats they are the most uncomfortable seats i've ever sat in.
Old 04-15-11 | 07:40 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigblack06
I dont disagree with BMW having a great job with leather, but damn I would never want to have those seats they are the most uncomfortable seats i've ever sat in.
wait wut? their seat design sucks?

i thought nappa leather was one of the softest leathers you could get
Old 04-15-11 | 07:44 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
B/C it has HUD? Funny when Lexus led with hybrids, a real technology I didn't see hardly anyone say "BMW finally caught up".

lets see HUD vs a hybrid powertrain. Which one is really hard to do? I think the latter.
Obviously this is because a lot of people don't really care about hybrid powertrains.
Old 04-15-11 | 07:50 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

But what would you call this? !!
egh. it's alright. looks sort of like a giant vibrator.

the only thing i like about the 3GS concept are the clean door lines, like bmw has done for a long time.

none of that squiggly stuff like on the Gh.

the short wheelbase of the Gh just makes the rear half of the car look awkward.

the LFS concept looks like it had a longer wheelbase, so its rear doors were nicely shaped.

Attached Thumbnails 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)-comp.jpg  

Last edited by dunnojack; 04-15-11 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-15-11 | 08:13 PM
LexFather

Obviously this is because a lot of people don't really care about hybrid powertrains.
Which means people are complete idiots in regards to technology. There is more technology in a hybrid battery cable than night vision which isn't even a new technology, its just new in cars.

Acura is the worst offender, advertising "technology" and some of their fanbois swearing they are some techno marvels and most still have 5 speeds, the engines have no new tech, the cars just got a cooled seat option and the depend on a navigation system to say its full of tech. A NAV system. No true real technology. Hell they don't have HUD or nightvision or hybrids or anything (outside super awd which others now have). They have less tech than a Ford Focus.

I know the 550 with options is probably the most technologically advanced vehicle in class that isn't a hybrid. A hybrid is the technology leader and its funny to see Infinity try to bash the GS when it comes 6 years late with the technology.

Technology is also creating better leathers (semi-analine), quieter cars, better building process (Tahara is world reknown), recycling technology etc.

Again its the Lexus double standard. When Lexus leads its hardly every pointed out by people or by reviewers. If Lexus follows someone people scream at the top of their lungs "Lexus copies again"
Old 04-15-11 | 09:32 PM
rjacket
Driver

Again its the Lexus double standard. When Lexus leads its hardly every pointed out by people or by reviewers. If Lexus follows someone people scream at the top of their lungs "Lexus copies again"
Life's so unfair
Old 04-16-11 | 05:48 AM
LexFather

Life's so unfair
I'm going to have the million Lexus owner march in Washington next fall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT1LX...eature=related
Old 04-16-11 | 05:54 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by dunnojack
wait wut? their seat design sucks?

i thought nappa leather was one of the softest leathers you could get
Not from my friends BMW X5 I swear those are the hardest seats aside from some Mercedes AMG ones I swear there is a board in their.
Old 04-16-11 | 05:58 AM
bigblack06

Which means people are complete idiots in regards to technology. There is more technology in a hybrid battery cable than night vision which isn't even a new technology, its just new in cars.

Acura is the worst offender, advertising "technology" and some of their fanbois swearing they are some techno marvels and most still have 5 speeds, the engines have no new tech, the cars just got a cooled seat option and the depend on a navigation system to say its full of tech. A NAV system. No true real technology. Hell they don't have HUD or nightvision or hybrids or anything (outside super awd which others now have). They have less tech than a Ford Focus.

I know the 550 with options is probably the most technologically advanced vehicle in class that isn't a hybrid. A hybrid is the technology leader and its funny to see Infinity try to bash the GS when it comes 6 years late with the technology.

Technology is also creating better leathers (semi-analine), quieter cars, better building process (Tahara is world reknown), recycling technology etc.

I totally agree with you on this, and I visited a Infinti dealership with my friend and the guy was trying to explain that a Infinti hybrid is better than a GS hybrid ( he didn't know I drove one) he said only one thing it has more HP 20 more WOW! sorry just had to bring that up, that reminded me when you said infiniti.
Old 04-16-11 | 06:14 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bigblack06
I totally agree with you on this, and I visited a Infinti dealership with my friend and the guy was trying to explain that a Infinti hybrid is better than a GS hybrid ( he didn't know I drove one) he said only one thing it has more HP 20 more WOW! sorry just had to bring that up, that reminded me when you said infiniti.
Some people aren't enthusiasts, they are pathetic. When the GS 450h debuted most people hated on it, said it was stupid and the usual Lexus haters bashed the car to no end. Well 6 years later it looks like genius since the other luxury brands are coming out with their own mid size hybrids Audi has a FWD 4 cylinder A6 hybrid coming as well.

When I took my break I read all over the internet people loving the M35 hybrid and its full of hypocrasy since its 6 years late, has a whooping 20hp more and is of course a Fuga rebadge. To its credit it gets better MPG with the EPA (we will see real word MPG). The GS 450h has always been a limited production vehicle, it never was meant to sell in volume. The same people that bashed the GSh for not selling are now saying "oh the M35 hybrid is not meant to sell, its to raise awareness".

People and reviewers rarely gave the 450h its due. It was by far the most technologically advanced sedan made PERIOD until the 600h L came. Instead of focusing on how it changed the luxury game, all you read is "oh its not sporty as a 5 series". Then no GSs were tested with the optional active sways which make all the difference in the world.

Its just funny to me that outside the E/5 series the GS is by far the best third option since 1993. Where were these other guys in 1993? What about in 1998 when the GS 300/400 came out? All of a sudden I should crap on the GS and bash it and love these other cars that finally got their act together?

Uhh, no.
Old 04-16-11 | 07:25 AM
bigblack06

Some people aren't enthusiasts, they are pathetic. When the GS 450h debuted most people hated on it, said it was stupid and the usual Lexus haters bashed the car to no end. Well 6 years later it looks like genius since the other luxury brands are coming out with their own mid size hybrids Audi has a FWD 4 cylinder A6 hybrid coming as well.

When I took my break I read all over the internet people loving the M35 hybrid and its full of hypocrasy since its 6 years late, has a whooping 20hp more and is of course a Fuga rebadge. To its credit it gets better MPG with the EPA (we will see real word MPG). The GS 450h has always been a limited production vehicle, it never was meant to sell in volume. The same people that bashed the GSh for not selling are now saying "oh the M35 hybrid is not meant to sell, its to raise awareness".

People and reviewers rarely gave the 450h its due. It was by far the most technologically advanced sedan made PERIOD until the 600h L came. Instead of focusing on how it changed the luxury game, all you read is "oh its not sporty as a 5 series". Then no GSs were tested with the optional active sways which make all the difference in the world.

Its just funny to me that outside the E/5 series the GS is by far the best third option since 1993. Where were these other guys in 1993? What about in 1998 when the GS 300/400 came out? All of a sudden I should crap on the GS and bash it and love these other cars that finally got their act together?

Uhh, no.
Yeah agian agree, but its the car industry in terms of Lexus and Toyota, and although Lexus has made the best technology when it comes to Hybrids, including the Prius. I love my car and although when I saw that commericial with the M35 Hybrid, only thing I could do was laugh cause I know that my car is not a slouch and although it has 20HP its not a major difference. But really I'm hoping for the redesign for 2012 GS-h hopefully the leather and wood will blow away everyone and shut them up
Old 04-16-11 | 08:32 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Mike - just because someone doesn't applaud Hybrid technology doesn't make them pathetic.

Personally hybrid tech does nothing for me. I believe performance sedans should be both powerful and light, and since they are sedans not impractical sports cars, they should have full size trunks.

I do think hybrid tech will be excellent as better battery technology becomes available, but in the current form, it makes the car heavy thereby reducing cornering speeds and tossability, while also taking away the practicality of the sedan having a large trunk.

Yes if these things are less important to you then straight line acceleration and gas savings then I can see why hybrid tech would be very exciting.
Old 04-16-11 | 09:15 AM
LexFather

Mike - just because someone doesn't applaud Hybrid technology doesn't make them pathetic.

Personally hybrid tech does nothing for me. I believe performance sedans should be both powerful and light, and since they are sedans not impractical sports cars, they should have full size trunks.

I do think hybrid tech will be excellent as better battery technology becomes available, but in the current form, it makes the car heavy thereby reducing cornering speeds and tossability, while also taking away the practicality of the sedan having a large trunk.

Yes if these things are less important to you then straight line acceleration and gas savings then I can see why hybrid tech would be very exciting.
I can be abrasive sometimes. Wasn't intended for you or anyone here.

My post wasn't to sell hybrid tech as the best thing in the world I am no smug hybrid hippie. I don't believe hybrids are the solution to all cars. My point is that people and reviews did not really applaud and give the kudos and respect to Lexus hybrids and the technology they bring. Even if one dislikes them or are unimpressed by them the fact is, they are the most advanced vehicles on the road in regards to technology. What makes it more amazing is they have been rock solid in reliability as well.

Instead people want to rip why they are not worth the money or they are silly. They are ripped "for not being sporty". And they can rip them but again, you can't take the technology away from them. The point is missed.

HUD and NightVision and Cameras etc are all nice technology to have but pale in comparison to how complicated Lexus Hybrid Drive is. Its not even close.

I started a thread awhile ago that I think it is beyond incredible a 4500 lbs .38 drag luxurious vehicle like the RX 450h can get 30 MPG, which is on par with econo-boxes. That is technology, that is moving engineering forward. That is luxury. Instead of magazines endorsing the 450h and telling everyone how incredible of a feat it is, instead we read its not sporty and it doesn't corner great and its silly or average.

The entire point is missed.

Getting more HP is not really impressive to me. Anyone can do it. Its not hard to get more HP out of a car. Now getting more MPG and HP, now that is something incredible.

That is technology.
Old 04-16-11 | 09:44 AM
LexFather

And Batman I'll even take it to your 460. It had the first and only 8 speed auto until recently in class and I think the only one besides the LS 460. That helps MPG. It also is lighter and has less parts than the old 6 speed. Instead of being applauded, its either ignored or bashed for "too many gears"! Here is Lexus leading and the mags say "oh its too much". Now here come the Germans with 8/9 speeds and guess what, it will be fine.

When it debuted in 2006 in 2005 the GS had huge 4 Pot brakes, the ones the GS 460 have. They are great under fade and have good stopping distances. The M35/45 had small 2 pots. That again isn't really appreciated.

The gauges in the GS are built for anti-eye fatigue. They have always adjusted to conditions (tunnels etc) but this isn't raved about or mentioned as a "technology". And damnit the Titanium finish is beautiful.

Lexus vehicles have DI for years now which helps MPG and performance. Not raved about. BMW has cars failing during comparisons and its glossed over.

I can go on and on.

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)