GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-11, 09:53 AM
MichaelPea
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed with your point of view. For better or for worse, most of the automotive press is comprised of journalists that like cars and not engineers. Like you, I marvel at the engineering prowess of the vehicle I drive every day. I also marvel at the engineering prowess on display every day at Disney World when I happen to be there. The journalists are probably correct, the car I drive every day isn't the best handling or fastest car on the road. But for a luxury sedan at the price it's available, it's still one of the best buys on the road. The hybrid, not so much because of the cost of the hybrid technology and the essential ROI calculations that should be factors in purchasing any automobile. But your point is well made, it's all about who is conducting the analysis and reporting on it and most of it should be taken with a grain of salt. If you like the car and can afford it (regardless of the cost analysis), buy it. If not, stay home and nap or find something that is appealing that you can afford.
Old 04-16-11, 10:50 AM
rjacket
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love this thread now. It's getting to the heart of the matter. Different people appreciate different things.

As one of those who have been critical let me clarify that I actually also notice and appreciate many things about the GS and Lexus. Some examples;

Love the simplicity of the interfaces on the 3GS. Virtually perfect.

Love the sound of the stock sound system. Very pure.

Love the fact that I am not fatigued after a long journey.

The 3.5 engine is years ahead of it's time in performance and economy.

Love the ventilation system. Never any fogging, virtually always a clean and comfortable interior environment.

Note that my way of judging is if the result of the engineering delivers something to me. If it does then I can appreciate it, if it does not deliver a tangible benefit then the engineering was pointless.

Hence my issue has been that too many things are not right both with the car and the dealers. While I can certainly appreciate the effort, for me it has not delivered.

I will be soon ending my ownership of my 3GS. I don't yet know what I will be getting. Certainly reliability is a big concern when leaving Lexus. My shortlist is XK, XF, 750, A8, CLS. I will also look at LS460 mainly for comparisons sake. Anybody have any thoughts / suggestions on these or anything else?
Old 04-16-11, 12:20 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MichaelPea
Agreed with your point of view. For better or for worse, most of the automotive press is comprised of journalists that like cars and not engineers. Like you, I marvel at the engineering prowess of the vehicle I drive every day. I also marvel at the engineering prowess on display every day at Disney World when I happen to be there. The journalists are probably correct, the car I drive every day isn't the best handling or fastest car on the road. But for a luxury sedan at the price it's available, it's still one of the best buys on the road. The hybrid, not so much because of the cost of the hybrid technology and the essential ROI calculations that should be factors in purchasing any automobile. But your point is well made, it's all about who is conducting the analysis and reporting on it and most of it should be taken with a grain of salt. If you like the car and can afford it (regardless of the cost analysis), buy it. If not, stay home and nap or find something that is appealing that you can afford.
Great post Except the hybrid part. I'd ban you but we are both named Mike j/k

Always good to hear new and refreshing opinions here.

Originally Posted by rjacket
Love this thread now. It's getting to the heart of the matter. Different people appreciate different things.

As one of those who have been critical let me clarify that I actually also notice and appreciate many things about the GS and Lexus. Some examples;

Love the simplicity of the interfaces on the 3GS. Virtually perfect.

Love the sound of the stock sound system. Very pure.

Love the fact that I am not fatigued after a long journey.

The 3.5 engine is years ahead of it's time in performance and economy.

Love the ventilation system. Never any fogging, virtually always a clean and comfortable interior environment.

Note that my way of judging is if the result of the engineering delivers something to me. If it does then I can appreciate it, if it does not deliver a tangible benefit then the engineering was pointless.

Hence my issue has been that too many things are not right both with the car and the dealers. While I can certainly appreciate the effort, for me it has not delivered.

I will be soon ending my ownership of my 3GS. I don't yet know what I will be getting. Certainly reliability is a big concern when leaving Lexus. My shortlist is XK, XF, 750, A8, CLS. I will also look at LS460 mainly for comparisons sake. Anybody have any thoughts / suggestions on these or anything else?
Another great post. I love all the cars you mentioned, especially the Xk

Its really funny when we think of it. For all the intense hate and bashing and "omg not as sporty as a Ferrarii Scuderia" Lexus gets, Lexus continues to churn out great products, products that sell and are well received (mostly, cough HS cough cough ). It seems the most vocal people would never buy a Lexus anyway or can't buy a Lexus.

I like the fact the GS is built in Tahara (rattles and all). I like the fact its not based on some small sports car or shares with 30 other vehicles. I like the fact it has evolved from its modest 1993 beginnings. I like the fact the GS hasn't changed in 7/8 years and has aged very gracefully instead of changing every 5 years like a Camry or something.

While I don't own a GS 350, it is IMO one of the best all around cars for the dollar. Well built, great features, great looks, F-sport available and pretty much class leading MPG and acceleration with BMW. It should be raved about and applauded. Do you know how hard it is to combine class leading performance and MPG?

The more I write about the GS and think about my ownership experiences over a decade I'm looking forward to this new one.

Or a Panamera Turbo

Old 04-16-11, 04:33 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
And Batman I'll even take it to your 460. It had the first and only 8 speed auto until recently in class and I think the only one besides the LS 460. That helps MPG. It also is lighter and has less parts than the old 6 speed. Instead of being applauded, its either ignored or bashed for "too many gears"! Here is Lexus leading and the mags say "oh its too much". Now here come the Germans with 8/9 speeds and guess what, it will be fine.

When it debuted in 2006 in 2005 the GS had huge 4 Pot brakes, the ones the GS 460 have. They are great under fade and have good stopping distances. The M35/45 had small 2 pots. That again isn't really appreciated.

The gauges in the GS are built for anti-eye fatigue. They have always adjusted to conditions (tunnels etc) but this isn't raved about or mentioned as a "technology". And damnit the Titanium finish is beautiful.

Lexus vehicles have DI for years now which helps MPG and performance. Not raved about. BMW has cars failing during comparisons and its glossed over.

I can go on and on.
I am with you on these points. There is no doubt the 3GS was the best car in its class. The brakes, the engines, the transmissions, the active suspension and the power stabilizer, the interior room, the quality and finish of the materials.

Lexus pulled off with the 3GS what BMW had previously pulled off with the E39 5 series - to build a car which may not have been the sportiest, or the most luxurious, but was by far the best rounded and most complete luxury sports sedan.

I'm optimistic about the new one - save for a niggling concern about the wheelbase. While we haven't heard about the engines, Lexus powertrains have always been among the best.
Old 04-16-11, 04:48 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

lets see HUD vs a hybrid powertrain. Which one is really hard to do? I think the latter.

I'm glad Lexus is offering it but its not that huge of a deal. I do have to say I enjoy the HUD on BMWs and Lexus models today.
off topic, but i will say that i love BOTH the HUD and hybrid powertrain on my RX450h!
Old 04-16-11, 08:16 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stormforge
off topic, but i will say that i love BOTH the HUD and hybrid powertrain on my RX450h!
You lucky bastard.
Old 04-16-11, 08:27 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by *Batman*
You lucky bastard.
Took the words out my mouth Though my mothers loaded HS 250h has HUD as well and I do like it.

Old 04-16-11, 09:46 PM
LexFather

Okay I really have to LMFAO at this. So DJ, seems BMW actually is following Lexus. I wasn't even aware of this and I don't think most anyone here was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_night_vision

This proves my point EXACTLY. Lexus leading and its swept under the rug.

In 2002, Toyota introduced the first production automotive active night vision system or Night View on the Lexus LX 470 and Landcruiser Cygnus

Old 04-17-11, 03:50 AM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by *Batman*
Lexus pulled off with the 3GS what BMW had previously pulled off with the E39 5 series - to build a car which may not have been the sportiest, or the most luxurious, but was by far the best rounded and most complete luxury sports sedan.
I don't know about that man. I'm over in Germany and picked up an E39 as a beater. Granted it's old (1997) and not the top model (523i), I'm not overly impressed with it. I am reluctant to say this, but my 1996 Acura TL 2.5 was faster, more comfortable, and had better fuel economy. The E39 is a great looking car even today and is no dog, but man I was expecting so much more from it due to the hype BMW receives. This is my second BMW, the first was an E30 back when I was a young G.I. in my first tour of Germany and I loved it... but once again it's not like it was 7 feet tall and shot bolts of lightning from its ****. Just felt like a solid little car.

Relating this to your quote, the feeling I got when I looked at and drove the 3GS during comparison shopping was that it was the best all around car between the E60, E-Class, and RL. Matter of fact, the E-Class was a better drive for me than the E60.
Old 04-17-11, 05:00 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Holy crap I never new that, maybe it was never in America as some cars outside the US get better stuff than we do sometimes, like Japan. Thats some cool info. I like to hear that, it shows that Lexus is not a slouch with technology just a perfectionist.
Old 04-17-11, 06:02 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jre002
Relating this to your quote, the feeling I got when I looked at and drove the 3GS during comparison shopping was that it was the best all around car between the E60, E-Class, and RL. Matter of fact, the E-Class was a better drive for me than the E60.
Thatg's what I said - the 3GS is best all round car. I preferred the E60 to the old E Class though. Mercedes drive like GM cars - designed for old men with long throttle lag, loose handling, boring interiors, etc.
Old 04-17-11, 03:14 PM
LB23
Driver

Inspiring posts from 1sicklex, huh?

By the way, I really don`t like the exterior so far, but the interior, so far so good.
Old 04-17-11, 03:28 PM
LB23
Driver

Great post Except the hybrid part. I'd ban you but we are both named Mike j/k

Always good to hear new and refreshing opinions here.

Another great post. I love all the cars you mentioned, especially the Xk

Its really funny when we think of it. For all the intense hate and bashing and "omg not as sporty as a Ferrarii Scuderia" Lexus gets, Lexus continues to churn out great products, products that sell and are well received (mostly, cough HS cough cough ). It seems the most vocal people would never buy a Lexus anyway or can't buy a Lexus.

I like the fact the GS is built in Tahara (rattles and all). I like the fact its not based on some small sports car or shares with 30 other vehicles. I like the fact it has evolved from its modest 1993 beginnings. I like the fact the GS hasn't changed in 7/8 years and has aged very gracefully instead of changing every 5 years like a Camry or something.

While I don't own a GS 350, it is IMO one of the best all around cars for the dollar. Well built, great features, great looks, F-sport available and pretty much class leading MPG and acceleration with BMW. It should be raved about and applauded. Do you know how hard it is to combine class leading performance and MPG?

The more I write about the GS and think about my ownership experiences over a decade I'm looking forward to this new one.

Or a Panamera Turbo

By the way, gotta say BMW has amazing fuel economy in the 535i with the 8 speed auto.....which Lexus will have for sure I bet for the entire lineup of the 4GS.

20 city and 30 hwy for a 4100 pound, 300 horsepower car is pretty darn good. That is class leading indeed.
Old 04-17-11, 04:49 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Okay I really have to LMFAO at this. So DJ, seems BMW actually is following Lexus. I wasn't even aware of this and I don't think most anyone here was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_night_vision

This proves my point EXACTLY. Lexus leading and its swept under the rug.

pretty cool. i didn't know that either.

maybe if toyota bothered to trickle down the tech, more people would know about it.

they didn't even put it in the LS
Old 04-17-11, 05:34 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dunnojack
pretty cool. i didn't know that either.

maybe if toyota bothered to trickle down the tech, more people would know about it.

they didn't even put it in the LS
You have to commercialize the tech broadly to be known for it.

This said the average in-service Lexus vehicle is much better equipped than the average in-service vehicle of any of Lexus' competitors.

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)