GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-11, 06:12 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ugh.

...and still no idea when the 4GS will come.
Old 04-19-11, 06:12 PM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

So it seems that the grill and body will make it to production, and I'm still lovin it, mostly the LEDs but th rear I'm going to have to grow on.

Edit: Yeah I agree I'm still lost as to what exactly the 4GS will really look like and when it will come out.
Old 04-19-11, 06:18 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
So it seems that the grill and body will make it to production, and I'm still lovin it, mostly the LEDs but th rear I'm going to have to grow on.

Edit: Yeah I agree I'm still lost as to what exactly the 4GS will really look like and when it will come out.
I think the 4GS will look almost exactly like this car. The headlights may change a little bit, there will be door handles. Grille will likely be same shape if not same finish.

This concept is pretty close to a production car. There is nothing about the shape that cannot be mass produced. It also doesn't make stylistic trade-offs that some concepts have - e.g. low roofline which compromises space.

This tells me the car is pretty much the 4GS.

As an analogy - the last LF-h production concept we saw was the LF-Sh which was the preview of the LS. That car looked like this.

Old 04-19-11, 06:29 PM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by *Batman*
I think the 4GS will look almost exactly like this car. The headlights may change a little bit, there will be door handles. Grille will likely be same shape if not same finish.

This concept is pretty close to a production car. There is nothing about the shape that cannot be mass produced. It also doesn't make stylistic trade-offs that some concepts have - e.g. low roofline which compromises space.

This tells me the car is pretty much the 4GS.

As an analogy - the last LF-h production concept we saw was the LF-Sh which was the preview of the LS. That car looked like this.

Wow thats funny, forgot all about that, the light are exactly the same so we have no idea if they will keep the simple three headed lights or finally change them.
Old 04-19-11, 06:51 PM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, I am disappointed. This car does nothing for me. Put more conservative bumpers on the car and it looks like a next gen ES. There is nothing evolutionary about this design. I use to love all of the Lexus models up till the current generation debuts of each model, I was hoping for Lexus to get back to cars that made more of a statment. I too will miss the quad headlights, among other things. My money will go to a new Mercedes E550 or Audi A6 unless the production model looks drastically different.
Old 04-19-11, 06:54 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Video plays now.....pure artsy BS starting at 8:30 secs LOL, BTW what are those people supposed to say when Lexus hires them to talk about their product ?

Last edited by EyeKutr; 04-19-11 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-19-11, 07:08 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
Video plays now.....pure artsy BS starting at 8:30 secs LOL

hahahah. That's what I thought too.

we didn't need to hear all that abstract commentary from those 4 people.
if you break down their words, they pretty much said nothing.

video was a letdown because I was somewhat expecting the "experts" to say something more substantial than "oh, i like the curves. oh, i like how it's curvy and aggressive at the same time."

Based on what the Lexus VP said, it sounds like lexus might actually put this gaping hourglass grille on future cars.......
oh god. I fear that will have disastrous consequences..... like the acura Beak.
Old 04-19-11, 07:17 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dunnojack
hahahah. That's what I thought too.

we didn't need to hear all that abstract commentary from those 4 people.
if you break down their words, they pretty much said nothing.

video was a letdown because I was somewhat expecting the "experts" to say something more substantial than "oh, i like the curves. oh, i like how it's curvy and aggressive at the same time."

Based on what the Lexus VP said, it sounds like lexus might actually put this gaping hourglass grille on future cars.......
oh god. I fear that will have disastrous consequences..... like the acura Beak.
This is no Acura beak. I think the big grille concept has been popularized by Audi and Cadillac, and the Lexus rendition is better than Audis. I like that it is 3 dimensional, not flat like Audi's. and the pattern of the grille is exquisite.

The issue is not the grille, but that the lack of harmony in the design. It doesn't flow. The back is very sleek and elegant, the front is just in your face.

Listening to the design experts, and paying attention to their tone of voice and what they didn't say, I'm not sure they actually like the car.
Old 04-19-11, 07:25 PM
bigblack06

Thos bumps where the most annoying part of the video, not sure why they needed to be in it, feel like 4MINs of my life was wasted! I'm pretty sure the car will grown on people, wait tell it hits show rooms. I dont think everyone will dis-own it
Old 04-19-11, 08:26 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
This is no Acura beak. I think the big grille concept has been popularized by Audi and Cadillac, and the Lexus rendition is better than Audis.

you're right. there just is no harmonious way to incorporate the grille.

audi and caddy and mitsu and nissan have done it.
So this seems like a "me too" grille design.

only audi has a true full faced grille. Caddy has a big grille, but it's split in the middle by the bumper. As ghastly as it is, it's in line with the rest of its edgy appearance.

Old 04-19-11, 08:34 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

The best looking front end design we've seen in NY has to be the Benz A-Class. The grille is beautiful, and I like the sculpted hood. By contrast the simple double crease on the Lexus hood looks plain.

Old 04-19-11, 09:17 PM
LexFather

What I really like about the grill is the way mercedes angled the wire behind it where it looks like its all merging into the emblem. Superb detailing. Its hard to tell up front but from the side you can..

AS for the GS...
Word is the grill is to shock...won't make production, it will get a grill like the DJ or knic PS like below...

Also seems the intent was for sides that didn't have 1,000 creases like how everyone else is doing today. The Lexus design team feels that trend is very played out already.

Last edited by LexFather; 04-19-11 at 09:36 PM.

Old 04-19-11, 09:35 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
AS for the GS...
Word is the grill is to shock...won't make production, it will get a grill like the DJ or knic PS like below...

Also seems the intent was for sides that didn't have 1,000 creases like how everyone else is doing today. The Lexus design team feels that trend is very played out already.

If the grill is like the one in this photo then to quote Jalopnik "it's beige". Seriously if Lexus goes for a low profile look like this then they are dead to me. The Ford Taurus has a better grille than this photoshop. It makes it look like a cheap Vauxhall or Fiat. I don't see how it looks any different than the current IS (which looks **** compared with the 3GS).

Here's an angled shot which shows what 1sicklex is saying regarding the sculpted concave shape of the Mercedes mesh grille.

Last edited by *Batman*; 04-19-11 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-20-11, 12:46 AM
aLexGS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I kinda like the car with the 700 BYI plates..!!
Old 04-20-11, 01:00 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rjacket
Interesting ........
Do you work for Hyundai?

Originally Posted by rjacket

Am I the only one seeing this!!!!
Yes, yes you are. Given a choice, I would easily take the LF-Gh design over the LF-S design. The GS is a SPORT luxury sedan, not a full-size luxury sedan. Therefore, it should look like a SPORT luxury sedan. The LF-S rear is much too high, and the overall profile of the car is too much like a blob. The 4LS took some LF-S styling cues, which is fine. The 3GS also took some LF-S styling cues, but the problem is the 3GS while looking great from some angles, overall looks awkward and oddly proportioned. The LF-Gh has VERY good proportions, and it looks like a SPORT luxury sedan. The GS needs to be suitably differentiated from the ES and LS, and the LF-Gh design achieves this.

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)