GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-11, 04:38 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

I like it with the photoshop, I want the second one with the IS-F grill.
Old 04-20-11, 05:25 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
I like it with the photoshop, I want the second one with the IS-F grill.
But if you like that look, you could pretty much just buy an ISF now.
Old 04-20-11, 05:46 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by *Batman*
But if you like that look, you could pretty much just buy an ISF now.
yeah but I'm like a puppy, I like to run free in my car with the space
Old 04-20-11, 05:49 AM
gsexy300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tepid applause from the crowd.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdqOlrhpgm4

I think the 'design experts' sounded like "Well, they paid us a lot to speak, (or we're going to get a lot of free publicity for being on this panel) so we'll come up with abstract, artsy, high-minded nonsense that won't damage our reputation yet will keep Lexus happy."
Old 04-20-11, 06:52 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

what I found amazing was how different those tricks looked in real-life (read video). The most homely looking chick in the photo on the Lexus website actually looked the best in the video....and vice versa for the other two tricks.

glad they were able to pull in the kitchen appliance expert to build the next great Lexus.
Old 04-20-11, 08:50 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gsexy300
Tepid applause from the crowd.

I think the 'design experts' sounded like "Well, they paid us a lot to speak, (or we're going to get a lot of free publicity for being on this panel) so we'll come up with abstract, artsy, high-minded nonsense that won't damage our reputation yet will keep Lexus happy."

The unveiling was a private event so "the crowd" was not huge to begin with. Can't really have a big applause without a big crowd.
Old 04-20-11, 09:22 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Arrow

Big Thanks to Kevin over at "The Lexus Enthusiast" site for the Online coverage...

Lexus LF-Gh Official Reveal Video

Originally Posted by krew

I was lucky enough to attend the reveal, and there’s no question that the concept has plenty of production-ready polish. In my mind, there’s only a few short steps between the LF-Gh and the next-generation GS, and those steps are likely to focus exclusively on the more elaborate elements of the front & rear of the vehicle.

From Mark Templin’s comments during the introduction, it sounds like the front grille will be carried through to production in some modified toned-down form — the IS-F’ish mesh grille will likely be used in a future F-Sport variant down the line, but I think we can expect something much less divisive for the standard production model.

All in all, an exciting reveal to lead into tomorrow’s NY Auto Show, which I’ll be covering live throughout the day. Stay tuned!
Lexus LF-Gh Caravan Photos

Originally Posted by krew

As part of the build up to the official reveal of the LF-Gh co*cept tonight, Lexus brought out four wrapped vehicles that illustrate the process behind creating a new vehicle — here they are:

Pencil

Marker

CAD

Black Cover

This is a really cool idea — it goes from the pencil sketch of the initial designer to a more stylized rendering, then it’s recreated and revised in CAD, until it’s finally ready to have the black cover pulled off. The wraps were impressive in their detail, creating an “unreal” look that was especially striking at a distance.

With the caravan wrapped up, it’s time for the real thing — the LF-Gh will have its big launch tonight, which will be available for online viewing later on in the evening. Details to follow.

Enjoy,

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 04-20-11 at 09:37 AM.
Old 04-20-11, 12:41 PM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
What I really like about the grill is the way mercedes angled the wire behind it where it looks like its all merging into the emblem. Superb detailing. Its hard to tell up front but from the side you can..

AS for the GS...
Word is the grill is to shock...won't make production, it will get a grill like the DJ or knic PS like below...

Also seems the intent was for sides that didn't have 1,000 creases like how everyone else is doing today. The Lexus design team feels that trend is very played out already.

I think the first PS'd pic would look nice, but instead of circle fog lights, possibly a downward strip of LEDs in the vent

That big grill didn't do it for me. I know it may be the trend, but I still don't like it. Need something else to break up the void a little...
Old 04-20-11, 04:08 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kcook700
I think the first PS'd pic would look nice, but instead of circle fog lights, possibly a downward strip of LEDs in the vent
I think that if you take the Lexus logo off that first PS'd pic, it could be any Japanese car. I could easily see that photoshop wearing a Honda badge, Subaru badge, Toyota, etc. It just doesn't look like a luxury car to me. It looks like a faceless appliance.

Last edited by *Batman*; 04-20-11 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-21-11, 05:09 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Everyone thinks their own baby is the most beautiful. But I wonder if the Lexus/Toyota execs in New York saw this and recognized their shortcomings as a design committee.

Old 04-21-11, 06:40 PM
bigblack06

Holy crap, I want that now too. that looks angry and ready for speed.
Old 04-21-11, 08:01 PM
LexFather

The GS was shown 34 months BEFORE the XJ debuted. Ian Callum knows what influenced him..here is some reading....

Yup. Ian Callum, Jags' head designer who did the XF and did the past Astons loves the GS. He has openly praised it and has been interviewed about the GS/XF similarity before.

http://books.google.com/books?id=sfk...s%20gs&f=false

Funny people bash the hell out of Lexus for copying but not Jaguar. Another lame double standard against Lexus.

http://www.carmiddleeast.com/getPrintDetails-2-567

One final question on the XF. What do you say to criticisms it looks like the Lexus GS?

Nobody was more surprised than we were. I like the GS. I think the proportions of that car are better than many other exec cars. I'm not wild about the detailing though. But they went through the same process we’ve gone through. That car came out nine months before our car – but our design was finished when the GS was launched. Nobody was more surprised to see that similarity (if there is any) than we were. There’s no plagiarism there, it’s just coincidence. But, hey, they did a good job.

Old 04-21-11, 09:23 PM
rjacket
Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The GS was shown 34 months BEFORE the XJ debuted. Ian Callum knows what influenced him..here is some reading....

Yup. Ian Callum, Jags' head designer who did the XF and did the past Astons loves the GS. He has openly praised it and has been interviewed about the GS/XF similarity before.

http://books.google.com/books?id=sfk...s%20gs&f=false

Funny people bash the hell out of Lexus for copying but not Jaguar. Another lame double standard against Lexus.

http://www.carmiddleeast.com/getPrintDetails-2-567
But I think the execution of the XF is so much better than the GS and that's all that matters. Plus he said his design was finished before the GS came out.

On both counts, that's why nobody is going to bash them. Also, Jaguar are known for their car designs (apart from the Ford era ones), it is a core competency, just the way that many other things are the core competency of Lexus. So it's going to be a very unusual day when Jaguar, a car maker with a heritage of timeless design (I cannot believe how old the XK8 design is), gets bashed for coincidentally looking just a tiny bit like a Lexus when that similarity is such a minor, maybe unfortunate, feature of an overall stunning design.

I went to see one in person wondering whether it would remind me of my GS, and it didn't. Interesting how Callum says he didn't like the GS detailing and he's of course so right. The proportions might be similar but that's where the similarity ends. It's as much as a coincidence as a Japanese SUV being a similar size to a American SUV, yet somehow, with the same proportions, look at the wizardry of Callum and Jaguar compared to the Lexus design.
Old 04-21-11, 09:30 PM
rjacket
Driver

Also, what has the XJ got to do with the GS? It's the XF we're talking about.

And the XK came out years ago and if you see an XF next to the XK, the two definitely look related, so it's clear the design is the vision he had for Jaguar:

"We’ll have three cars out there [XK, XF, XJ] that for me completely nail what Jaguar is about. That was my vision when I started 10 years ago. I take some satisfaction from that. We’ve had better results than I would have anticipated 10 years ago."

The article was April 2009 so he started all this design direction in 1999!
Old 04-22-11, 01:29 AM
aLexGS350
Lead Lap

After watching that video..the front of that concept looks kinda wierd...its soooo big just like how the audi's grill extends down to its bumper.

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)