GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-11, 06:56 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So with all the speculation and falsehoods that Lexus salesmen have said about the GS the past 12-18 months,...are we any closer - is there confirmation from a legitimate source as to when the 4GS will appear?
Old 04-27-11, 08:43 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

It seems that there wont be a new GS for 2012, it simply is too late in the game to not have debuted the new GS yet....
Old 04-27-11, 09:56 PM
mikesm
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
It seems that there wont be a new GS for 2012, it simply is too late in the game to not have debuted the new GS yet....
I am beginning to think that too. Too bad, because sales figures make it clear it needs a big refresh.
Old 04-28-11, 08:32 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 211 Likes on 145 Posts

if they're on a 7 year refresh....2013 MY would likely be the new GS...probably released late spring of 2012.
Old 04-28-11, 11:14 AM
LexFather

As an owner, let them take their sweet time . I hate when luxury brands change cars often like its a Kia or something.

Old 04-29-11, 06:23 AM
gsexy300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
And again Lexus gets bashed all the time for "copying" no matter how legitimate the accusation or not. Here is an obvious example of Lexus being copied and its swept under the rug or every excuse in the book is made for it.

The XF isn't really stunning to me, it simply is bigger, longer GS. It is not original though it is beautiful.
Yep, the biggest sin the GS3 committed was having the wrong badge on the grill. Auto journalists decided long ago that if it doesn't have a blue and white propeller, it just won't fly. blah blah, i'm beating a dead horse.
Old 04-29-11, 10:02 AM
ChuH
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Was at the dealership today and spoke to the sales manager. He showd me a document stating that the new GS will be release in January '12 with the hybrid in April '12. Redesign IS will not be release until August '13. Document only shows note of model year scheduled major changes, facelift and refresh. No details on specs.
Old 04-29-11, 09:15 PM
mikesm
Rookie

Originally Posted by ChuH
Was at the dealership today and spoke to the sales manager. He showd me a document stating that the new GS will be release in January '12 with the hybrid in April '12. Redesign IS will not be release until August '13. Document only shows note of model year scheduled major changes, facelift and refresh. No details on specs.
Interesting. If true, it must mean the LF-Gh concept isn't related to the new GS, which is a good thing probably.

If it really is a Jan 2012 date, that means we will be seeing more news about it pretty soon.

Can any of the other dealers here verify this?

Thx
Mike
Old 04-29-11, 09:40 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikesm
Interesting. If true, it must mean the LF-Gh concept isn't related to the new GS, which is a good thing probably.

If it really is a Jan 2012 date, that means we will be seeing more news about it pretty soon.

Thx
Mike
These launch dates don't excite me given that Lexus has not shared any powertrain thinking with dealers. New car with old engines means the real new car won't be available for another year.
Old 04-29-11, 10:24 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mikesm

Thx
Mike
Sounds about right..Thanks for the info ChuH

Batman, I agree about the powertrains and I hope they really have something new and special.

Old 04-30-11, 06:00 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

new IS in late 2013 ?! ahah, that's hard to believe.
it would be funny if it were true. That would make it a full 8 year run.
Old 04-30-11, 10:50 PM
rjacket
Driver

Default Delay may be a good thing

I really get the sense that Lexus know that they did not achieve what they should have with the 3GS and others in the current generation models.

The delay may well mean that something special is on it's way. As much as I am underwhelmed by the exterior of the new concept, the interior looked great and they are at least talking about a bold new direction. When the original LS came out, they knew they had to make it special if they were to establish themselves. I am optimistically hoping that they want to reclaim their position with something special.

Last edited by rjacket; 04-30-11 at 10:54 PM.
Old 05-03-11, 07:28 AM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm hoping that Toyota/Lexus is really focusing on the design on the car. IMO, I feel that that is where they're falling behind the competition. They know how to make reliable cars with good value but they can't seem to get the design of the cars correct. Hate my comment all you want but it's true. Their designs are very tame and conservative. Now I'm not saying that they need to go radical but they do need to create designs where people actually say "dang, I have to have that car!" The LFA is one step in that direction but then again, it's also out of reach for 99% of the people. It's basically a showcase car for everybody except that 1%.

Toyota/Lexus needs to start "copying" BMW and Mercedes' philosophy. What I mean by this is creating cars that people "want" and not cars that people "need." BMW creates the 3 series and adds a "legitamate" sports package and then introduces an "is" package with more sport features such as the 7 speed double clutch tranny. Toyota/Lexus has the money to R&D these things. Why don't they start actually competing with the products that they claim are their competition.

I love Lexus/Toyota but they need to start offering products that I want.

What ever happened to the supposed return of the Supra. I would get that in a heartbeat if they brought that back. Toyota could have the Supra version say with a newly design 3L Inline 6 twin turbo while Lexus has the sister version with a newly updated v-8 to be sued in the upcoming IS-F. Now that would be sweet but the design needs to be sportier and basically create a sense of I want that car because the design is just hot.
Old 05-03-11, 10:24 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bam
Their designs are very tame and conservative.
not that there's anything wrong with that. Audi looks the most conservative, in my view. and they're a hit worldwide.

the problem is that certain lexus design elements just look awkward from certain angles. I'm able to overlook them in exchange for better reliability though.
Old 05-03-11, 10:36 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Audi the most conservative?

Last edited by Sal Collaziano; 05-03-11 at 10:44 AM.

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)