GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-11, 10:32 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
I think its going to be

GS350: 330hp
GS460: the full 381
GS-F: hopefully the 5.0 can put out at least 480
I agree as well.

GS 350: 325hp
GS 460: 380hp

GS 450h: 350hp

GS F : hopefull close to 500hp or more

Last edited by Trexus; 05-12-11 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-12-11, 10:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Just kidding man.

It's a great car....I just spend too much time on the BMW boards hearing it.

This.

There is absolutely no question that Lexus is capable.

What is in question is if they choose to actually make a firm commitment to offering true performance variants.

I hope you're right.

I just don't see how it would not, at the very least, badly damage the F brand. The IS F has progressed faster and further than many could have imagined. The LF A is still brand new, but it has demonstrated that Lexus can do things that other manufacturers aren't even willing to try (cough..cough...BMW).

As someone who is seriously considering a full size, performance sedan for our next vehicle, I can safely say that the GS F won't even get a look when compared to the F10 M5 or Pan 4S/TT.

I maybe wasn't clear in my previous post. I actually know that you're right Mike, in that some people will gravitate towards a certain geographic brand. I still think it's wrong and people with blinders on are missing out.

Commonly thought that they're underrated like the GT R...and most Porsches for that matter. How else can you explain the ridiculous numbers the Pan TT puts down?

Regular TT is holding it's value pretty well.

Decent one is still in the $125-130K range. Still, simply, not enough of them on the road to see them dump yet.
lol even i feel painful to spend more time on bmw boards, you nuts?

although to me the 3gs has been quite a let down, i am really interested to see how lexus respond with the 4gs, given how well the mb e and the bmw 5 are. lexus has just so many areas to compete on, from size/space to technologies, from fit and finishes to quality, and then there is the drivetrain / performance. that's really exciting
Old 05-12-11, 11:39 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
How is it an epic fail?

As we all know from the LFA, high HP figures is not the be all-end all of performance cars. We may very well see some lighter weight applications, and focus on driver feeling, comfort, control and overall balance and attention to the details than just a straight line super acceleration and HP #'s.
It's an epic fail because it's going to have the same number of HP as the ISF! That mean's it's going to be slow!

I don't care how much carbon fiber stuff they use, they're not going to get it light enough to compete against the Germans!

The ISF goes 0-60 in 4.6 seconds, and it weighs 3,780 lbs. The Current GS450h weighs 4,134 lbs, and goes 0-60 in 5.2 seconds with just 340hp.

You know, maybe the GSF will be able to get a quick time, but it's competing against super saloons that have 500+hp! It's going to have a 100hp less than it's competitors, and it's not going to look good in marketing.

I just want Lexus to succeed in this division like it did with the ISF, the engine needs more power, at least 450+
Old 05-13-11, 01:59 AM
Vietboi2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 gs-f lfa powered?

http://www.motortrend.com/auto_news/...s_f/index.html

Render http://image.motortrend.com/f/948288...+rendering.jpg

Take the 500-plus-horsepower, Formula 1-inspired sub-5.0-liter V-10 slated for the 2010 Lexus LF-A supercar, drop it in the body of the all-new 2011 GS sedan, and what've you got? The 2012 Lexus GS-F. Watch out, BMW M5, Audi RS6, Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG, and 2009 Cadillac CTS-v!

Details are sketchy, but engineers are said to be protecting the next-generation GS to be able to package the supercar's V-10. The GS-F apparently hasn't been approved for production. It would be a good idea, though, and not just for enthusiasts. It would cut engine costs through higher volume than by building it just for the exclusive supercar.
This also is official (kind of) notice that a V-10 has emerged as the engine Lexus will use in its supercar. Lexus hasn't announced the engine, or even made the supercar official, but Toyota was said to be considering either the V-10 or a twin-turbo version of the LS sedan's V-8. The new V-10 was to be Toyota Formula 1-based, but that series now uses a V-8, and the street engine has been developed with diminished connection to the racing engine.
The GS-F, if approved, would hit the streets about a year after an all-new GS scheduled for the 2011 model year. Expect visual mods similar to those of the forthcoming V-8-powered IS-F. Transmission is likely to be the eight-speed automatic from the LS 460, modified to allow full manual mode via paddles and ultrafast shifts.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/auto_news/...#ixzz1MDmIuPAj
Old 05-13-11, 02:42 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Incredible
It's an epic fail because it's going to have the same number of HP as the ISF! That mean's it's going to be slow!

I don't care how much carbon fiber stuff they use, they're not going to get it light enough to compete against the Germans!

The ISF goes 0-60 in 4.6 seconds, and it weighs 3,780 lbs. The Current GS450h weighs 4,134 lbs, and goes 0-60 in 5.2 seconds with just 340hp.

You know, maybe the GSF will be able to get a quick time, but it's competing against super saloons that have 500+hp! It's going to have a 100hp less than it's competitors, and it's not going to look good in marketing.

I just want Lexus to succeed in this division like it did with the ISF, the engine needs more power, at least 450+
Who said the GS-F was only going to carry 416hp? Lexus is not dense, they're not going to give the GS-F the same amount of horsepower as a almost 4 year old car. Given how competitive the auto market is, it is most idiotic to assume details by this logic.

You want at least 450hp. What is 450 minus 416? At the very least, how hard is it to squeeze 34hp out of a 5.0L v8?

Don't take everything so literally.
Old 05-13-11, 04:52 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Hybrid

500hp seems to be the magical # people are leaning towards for the GS-F, so how do people feel if Lexus achieves that using a hybrid system? W/ all the new regulations, I can see it happening.

Should that just be left to the GS-H? Just curious ...
Old 05-13-11, 07:10 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
I agree as well.

GS 350: 325hp
GS 460: 380hp

GS 450h: 350hp

GS F : hopefull close to 500hp or more

I would rather have V6 and two hybrids, one very fuel efficient and other follow up of 450h. I would trade V8 for one more hybrid trim.

GS-F is another story and entirely different concept so I agree with it.
Old 05-13-11, 08:32 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by GS69
500hp seems to be the magical # people are leaning towards for the GS-F, so how do people feel if Lexus achieves that using a hybrid system? W/ all the new regulations, I can see it happening.

Should that just be left to the GS-H? Just curious ...
so it will be heavier though
Old 05-13-11, 08:43 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi-rev v10 sedan with lexus reliability for say, 20-30k less than a panamera, I am listening..............
Old 05-13-11, 09:18 AM
LexFather

Sources tell me GS F is definitely a go but I could not get a peep out on the engine for it nor any GS. Lexus spirits internally are very high for the 4GS, they feel it will be a knock-out. This is very different to how they felt about the HS and even the CT (though the latter is selling well).

Old 05-13-11, 09:32 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Sources tell me GS F is definitely a go but I could not get a peep out on the engine for it nor any GS. Lexus spirits internally are very high for the 4GS, they feel it will be a knock-out. This is very different to how they felt about the HS and even the CT (though the latter is selling well).
thats no surprise as it has been probably developed for NA market... unlike CTh for instance, which was a stretch for average american.
Old 05-13-11, 10:58 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
good to know.. i hope the 4GS has looks to kill
Old 05-13-11, 11:06 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing is (and I know I've said this before):
Like what a few others have said, the Lexus GS F needs 500 horses at bare minimum.

It's 500 hp or more...........or bust. Otherwise, don't make a GS-F at all and spend the money elsewhere.

Thing is though, I think Lexus is capable of doing it. They did it with the IS F (at least 400 horses which is in-line with its competitors). They just need to apply the something similar for the GS F (i.e. they can use the 1LR-GUE engine then just detune it......or use the ISF engine then just add some power-enhancing stuff like turbocharging or whatever methods/techniques)

So like I said, 500 hp or more for the GSF.

Otherwise, if Lexus can't do that, then maybe they should do the LS approach by creating a GS Hybrid as their flagship for the GS Line (maybe something like GS500h maybe)

Two cents......
Old 05-13-11, 12:07 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Vietboi2
http://www.motortrend.com/auto_news/...s_f/index.html

Render http://image.motortrend.com/f/948288...+rendering.jpg

Take the 500-plus-horsepower, Formula 1-inspired sub-5.0-liter V-10 slated for the 2010 Lexus LF-A supercar, drop it in the body of the all-new 2011 GS sedan, and what've you got? The 2012 Lexus GS-F. Watch out, BMW M5, Audi RS6, Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG, and 2009 Cadillac CTS-v!

Details are sketchy, but engineers are said to be protecting the next-generation GS to be able to package the supercar's V-10. The GS-F apparently hasn't been approved for production. It would be a good idea, though, and not just for enthusiasts. It would cut engine costs through higher volume than by building it just for the exclusive supercar.
This also is official (kind of) notice that a V-10 has emerged as the engine Lexus will use in its supercar. Lexus hasn't announced the engine, or even made the supercar official, but Toyota was said to be considering either the V-10 or a twin-turbo version of the LS sedan's V-8. The new V-10 was to be Toyota Formula 1-based, but that series now uses a V-8, and the street engine has been developed with diminished connection to the racing engine.
The GS-F, if approved, would hit the streets about a year after an all-new GS scheduled for the 2011 model year. Expect visual mods similar to those of the forthcoming V-8-powered IS-F. Transmission is likely to be the eight-speed automatic from the LS 460, modified to allow full manual mode via paddles and ultrafast shifts.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/auto_news/...#ixzz1MDmIuPAj
That is a old article before the LFA was even finalized and before the economic crisis, high gas prices, and stricter gov regulations. It is very doubtful the GSf is going to get the LFAs V10. That engine has to be so expensive to produce that it is not going to save them any money also sticking in a GS unless the GSf is going to be priced well over 100K which would ensure it not selling well. The LFA engine would also have to be enlarged and modified to not rev as high and have more torque to be suitable for a heavier 4 door daily driven sedan and that will cost money.

The competition is downsizing to smaller turbo v8s because of federal regulations and that is where Toyota is most likely going with the GSf if they make it. I know it may not be popular but I don't think it will be that bad if it has around 475hp instead of over 500hp. The GSf is most likely going to be lighter then the M5 so it won't need as much hp and they could still find a market for a less expensive more reliable alternative to the M5s and AMGs. I am sure Toyota wants it to be a good deal more fuel efficient then the competition also and that could be selling/bragging point.

As long as it is not too expensive I don't see why anyone would be complaining about a tuned GSf version with 460-495hp that still has over 100hp more then the current GS430 especially since a regular v8 is almost certain to be dropped as a option on the 4th Gen GS.
Old 05-13-11, 02:18 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

500hp. no problem with supercharger.
Attached Thumbnails 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)-gs.jpg  

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)