GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-11, 02:29 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
That is a old article before the LFA was even finalized and before the economic crisis, high gas prices, and stricter gov regulations. It is very doubtful the GSf is going to get the LFAs V10. That engine has to be so expensive to produce that it is not going to save them any money also sticking in a GS unless the GSf is going to be priced well over 100K which would ensure it not selling well. The LFA engine would also have to be enlarged and modified to not rev as high and have more torque to be suitable for a heavier 4 door daily driven sedan and that will cost money.

The competition is downsizing to smaller turbo v8s because of federal regulations and that is where Toyota is most likely going with the GSf if they make it. I know it may not be popular but I don't think it will be that bad if it has around 475hp instead of over 500hp. The GSf is most likely going to be lighter then the M5 so it won't need as much hp and they could still find a market for a less expensive more reliable alternative to the M5s and AMGs. I am sure Toyota wants it to be a good deal more fuel efficient then the competition also and that could be selling/bragging point.

As long as it is not too expensive I don't see why anyone would be complaining about a tuned GSf version with 460-495hp that still has over 100hp more then the current GS430 especially since a regular v8 is almost certain to be dropped as a option on the 4th Gen GS.
blah, i cant merge on the hwy without 500hp... it is just not safe.
Old 05-13-11, 03:38 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
blah, i cant merge on the hwy without 500hp... it is just not safe.
sounds like merging on to the NJ turnpike. Its insane. You are supposed to go from full stop to freeway speeds in less that 5 seconds.
Old 05-15-11, 10:15 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
oh don't get me wrong, i will welcome that car with open hands too. however, please don't put the gsf badge on it. it kills the badge / lineup, that's all i am trying to say. if they put the isf engine in it with all the extra, and call it the gs500 or gs f-sport or gs with "sport package", i am totally cool (and happy actually)
I hear you and understand your point.

I just don't think they would put everything in it if it is just a F-sport package, look at the IS F-Sport now.
Old 05-15-11, 10:20 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

in no way am i expecting the gsf (nor isf and lfa for that matter) to set any benchmark at all. sorry to say, but i don't think lexus is there yet. however, i do think the isf offer a very very competitive performance vehicle against where it belongs.
Thank you for saying that.........people hate me for saying the LFA's performance didn't set any benchmark. The 458 with a $240k base price matched the $375k LFA's performance.

The ISF matched the E9X M3 in performance on paper, but not in driving feel.
Old 05-15-11, 11:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Thank you for saying that.........people hate me for saying the LFA's performance didn't set any benchmark. The 458 with a $240k base price matched the $375k LFA's performance.

The ISF matched the E9X M3 in performance on paper, but not in driving feel.
you just don't say it in the lfa forum, i already gave up. outside of the lfa forum you say anything that makes sense and most would agree with you. but at the same time i think that's the nature of some fans in the lfa forum, and i can see where that came from, so i am not too surprised and i am ok with it
Old 05-16-11, 12:09 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

you just don't say it in the lfa forum, i already gave up. outside of the lfa forum you say anything that makes sense and most would agree with you. but at the same time i think that's the nature of some fans in the lfa forum, and i can see where that came from, so i am not too surprised and i am ok with it
I guess that is true in any model specific forum..........that specific model is god's gift

I don't post my opinion in the LFA forum anymore.
Old 05-19-11, 09:45 PM
LexFather

Hearing stronger rumors that the GS in Europe will be two models, the 450h with improvements in MPG/Performance and a new 4 cylinder hybrid GS to battle diesels (the Jag XF for instance will get its first 4 cylinder diesel later this year). As it stands Lexus is going with hybrids in Europe and expect more hybrid drivetrains than just the one per model we get now. For example Europe only gets the LS 600h L now for the LS, the most expensive LS possible. No wonder sales were in a rut!

No idea will we get this model if it is true but I think I did report in the past the GS may gain a 4 cylinder hybrid for better MPG.

With Gazoo racing using the HS drivetrain with the 2.4 liter, I wonder if it is this existing setup or a new one with the new 2.5 I-4 in Toyota's .

Old 05-19-11, 09:47 PM
LexFather

Hearing stronger rumors that the GS in Europe will be two models, the 450h with improvements in MPG/Performance and a new 4 cylinder hybrid GS to battle diesels (the Jag XF for instance will get its first 4 cylinder diesel later this year) and be the sales/volume leader for the GS. As it stands Lexus is going with hybrids in Europe and expect more hybrid drivetrains than just the one per model we get now. For example Europe only gets the LS 600h L now for the LS, the most expensive LS possible. No wonder sales were in a rut! ( I figure a LS 450h is likely coming as well then)

No idea will we get this model if it is true but I think I did report in the past the GS may gain a 4 cylinder hybrid for better MPG.

With Gazoo racing using the HS drivetrain with the 2.4 liter, I wonder if it is this existing setup or a new one with the new 2.5 I-4 in Toyota's .

Old 05-19-11, 10:21 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

There's no way they will make a hybrid 4 cyl GS, unless they make it fwd.

You can mount the engine sideways in RWD GS, and developing a new 4 cylinder with a new hybrid system for the GS just isnt practical.
Old 05-19-11, 10:26 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och
There's no way they will make a hybrid 4 cyl GS, unless they make it fwd.

You can mount the engine sideways in RWD GS, and developing a new 4 cylinder with a new hybrid system for the GS just isnt practical.
With gas prices where they are, with higher MPG requirements and with Lexus hoping to expand greatly in Europe I see it coming, it only makes sense. The Germans sell all sorts of tiny engine 4 cylinder cars in this class, Lexus cannot continue to sell big engine GS vehicles and watch sales suffer. They have to adapt and sell smaller engines there. Lexus seems to have no interest in diesels, the IS 200d is likely on the way out.

Old 05-19-11, 11:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
With gas prices where they are, with higher MPG requirements and with Lexus hoping to expand greatly in Europe I see it coming, it only makes sense. The Germans sell all sorts of tiny engine 4 cylinder cars in this class, Lexus cannot continue to sell big engine GS vehicles and watch sales suffer. They have to adapt and sell smaller engines there. Lexus seems to have no interest in diesels, the IS 200d is likely on the way out.
i am not sure on details, but i think Och meant to say you "can't" mount the engine sideway?
Old 05-19-11, 11:22 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^ Yeah, thats what I meant to say.

All of Toyota/Lexus 4 cylinder hybrids are using transverse mounted engine. The GS uses longitudinal engine configurations. You can't just stuff one of the existing 4 cylinder hybrid engines into it.
Old 05-20-11, 03:58 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
^^^ Yeah, thats what I meant to say.

All of Toyota/Lexus 4 cylinder hybrids are using transverse mounted engine. The GS uses longitudinal engine configurations. You can't just stuff one of the existing 4 cylinder hybrid engines into it.
But you can fit in 2.5 V6. I thnk GS desperatly needs fuel efficient hybrid trim, something like 2.5l 250hp 30mpg combo.
Old 05-20-11, 05:04 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Dont want it, if its gonna be a 4 cylinder cause I'll just look for a used 2009 instead.
Old 05-20-11, 07:25 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 211 Likes on 145 Posts

I just hope they don't screw up the 4GS like the 3GS. There was no reason to come out with the 300 and 430 and then switch to the 350 and 460 a year later. Why not just wait and do it right the first time.

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)