GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-10 | 01:59 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by STIG
GS400, and IS350 came to my mind.
Exactly.....Not sure why anyone is still quoting Infiniti HP figures as they never equate to better performance. The 340hp Q45 was no faster/slower than the 290hp LS. The 306hp IS is faster than the 330hp or so G37s. The 300hp GS 430 was faster than the M45 in 2004.

Higher HP figures mean nothing if they do not produce better results to those with a clue. To those that are fooled by advertisements, its all a go.

Whats also odd is beating up Lexus for not having higher HP but then telling us its okay for Acura to only offer V-6s.

STIG your M3 has less power than the IS-F, RS4, C63 yet beats the snot out of them in every review on every track. We just saw it beat the CTS-V in the Lutz challenge by an amatur driver. The CTS-V has what 140 or more so HP?

HP is NOT everything!!
Old 01-01-10 | 04:59 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 25,000

You sure about that? All of the data I have come across in the past shows the M45 handing the GS430 its $%^&* pretty easily. Newer model for newer model, did not find anything on old articles. Did not search long admittingly.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._handling.html

Same for the IS350 losing to the g35/37, newer variants.

I believe the masses are looking for a slightly larger GS with a 400hp V8 and great handling with out of the box styling. Most here would not knock such a car.
Old 01-01-10 | 07:31 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
You sure about that? All of the data I have come across in the past shows the M45 handing the GS430 its $%^&* pretty easily. Newer model for newer model, did not find anything on old articles. Did not search long admittingly.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._handling.html

Same for the IS350 losing to the g35/37, newer variants.

I believe the masses are looking for a slightly larger GS with a 400hp V8 and great handling with out of the box styling. Most here would not knock such a car.
2004 model, not 2005 model. I believe they changed the gearing for the 2005 model, thus the same engine got better results but it also got dismal MPG and a buzzy high RPM status on freeway driving over 70 MPH.

We are not talking comparos, we are talking HP vs acceleration. IS 350 still trumps the G37 and was clearly faster than the G35.

I honestly don't think the GS main problem is a V-8 model as they sell in small amounts. As I've said before this is not 1998, the GS is not going to shake up the world again unless it offers 500hp for 55 grand. Not going to happen. Everyone has high HP cars now, hell even the Genesis makes 385hp now.

I think people would like more space as you have stated and I think Lexus needs to do a much better job marketing the car. The 3GS market was horrid compared to the much more focused 2GS. For example the GS 350 offers best MPG/Acceleration with the 535 but no one hardly knows that. The GS shape is no longer original as its been knocked off 100 times now so I hope they can someone "stand out" in design again without going ugly.

I would like to see a coupe GS, a sport option like the LS from the factory as F-sport seems to be a tough/confused sell again. I would like to see the lineup expand and maybe bring back the GS 300 as an entry level model to battle the 528. No need for a wagon but a HUGE need for a GS-F.

I don't think Lexus can use a 400hp V-8 GS anymore as a halo. It would be great to see them offer a V-8 as u stated and have the GS-F provide the halo for the brand. It will also make the GS stand apart from the M37/56 since they have a nice new V-8 and will offer a hybrid.
Old 01-02-10 | 06:00 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I honestly don't think the GS main problem is a V-8 model as they sell in small amounts. As I've said before this is not 1998, the GS is not going to shake up the world again unless it offers 500hp for 55 grand. Not going to happen. Everyone has high HP cars now, hell even the Genesis makes 385hp now.

I think people would like more space as you have stated and I think Lexus needs to do a much better job marketing the car. The 3GS market was horrid compared to the much more focused 2GS. For example the GS 350 offers best MPG/Acceleration with the 535 but no one hardly knows that. The GS shape is no longer original as its been knocked off 100 times now so I hope they can someone "stand out" in design again without going ugly.

I would like to see a coupe GS, a sport option like the LS from the factory as F-sport seems to be a tough/confused sell again. I would like to see the lineup expand and maybe bring back the GS 300 as an entry level model to battle the 528. No need for a wagon but a HUGE need for a GS-F.

I don't think Lexus can use a 400hp V-8 GS anymore as a halo. It would be great to see them offer a V-8 as u stated and have the GS-F provide the halo for the brand. It will also make the GS stand apart from the M37/56 since they have a nice new V-8 and will offer a hybrid.
I agree.

What I expect is a refreshed 3.5L engine, LS V8 engine, high powered hybrid (the 400hp Supra concept hybrid powerplant), and a FI GS F.

I've said it numerous times on the pages before, FI is the most likely alternative for the GS F, and Lexus likely won't stray much from the current formula of the GS.

Lexus Europe via twitter indirectly confirmed a GS F is in the works, by posting that it won't use the LFA engine. Why talk about a vehicle's rumored engine, if said vehicle isn't real?
Old 01-03-10 | 04:07 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by (Cj)
I agree.

What I expect is a refreshed 3.5L engine, LS V8 engine, high powered hybrid (the 400hp Supra concept hybrid powerplant), and a FI GS F.

I've said it numerous times on the pages before, FI is the most likely alternative for the GS F, and Lexus likely won't stray much from the current formula of the GS.

Lexus Europe via twitter indirectly confirmed a GS F is in the works, by posting that it won't use the LFA engine. Why talk about a vehicle's rumored engine, if said vehicle isn't real?
Yup

I don't see the GS-F out powering the class, similar to the IS-F. Lexus is fine with offering the vehicles as people want the ultimate sport Lexus and will sacrifice some 10/10ths feel for quality/reliability. Lexus also will avoid the gas guzzler tax on the GS-F, as the IS-F is the only model to do so.

Not sure about FI though, I can see maybe the 5.0 engine jumping to 5.5 liters or so.
Old 01-03-10 | 05:41 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yup

I don't see the GS-F out powering the class, similar to the IS-F. Lexus is fine with offering the vehicles as people want the ultimate sport Lexus and will sacrifice some 10/10ths feel for quality/reliability. Lexus also will avoid the gas guzzler tax on the GS-F, as the IS-F is the only model to do so.

Not sure about FI though, I can see maybe the 5.0 engine jumping to 5.5 liters or so.
FI would probably be the only way Lexus could get 500hp AND avoid the gas tax. I've said it here before, but I'll mention it again. The 330hp Audi S4 has a supercharged 3.0L engine with AWD and gets better gas mileage than the naturally aspirated 3.5L FWD ES. There is a reason why a lot of the Germans are moving to forced induction and it's not just for marketing. FI when done right is in general more efficient than a NA car of similar power.

As far as reliability of FI is concerned I think Toyota could really outshine the competition. Toyota's TRD branch has supercharged nearly every Toyota engine that exist and you can get TRD supercharged cars under-warranty at the dealership. Also Toyota/Lexus have sold FI cars in various other auto markets for years, and I haven't heard of any mass reliability complaints or outcries.
Old 01-03-10 | 07:43 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

FI is noisy (noisier than the same NA engine alone at least) though. I think that's the single biggest concern for a Lexus.
Old 01-03-10 | 08:36 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Complexity? Cost? Non-involving transmission? Weight?
Meh, Subaru did it. They were just too small of a company at the time to put it to production. Since Toyota has purchased more of them rumor has it that something is back on the table. Part of the rumor was confirmed with their hybrid concept that debuted this fall. Specs call for a 2.0L DI Turbo in conjunction with 2 electric motors.
Old 01-03-10 | 09:40 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I am still waiting for a refreshed version of the 3.5 L engine with more power and similar mpg. Infiniti did it and Acura even stepped up. Lexus needs to step up like they did with the 2IS back in the day.The IS at risk of showing its age. They dont need a redesign but a hp boost would be great. Also wider stock tires front and rear would be great
Old 01-03-10 | 11:26 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mister Two
FI is noisy (noisier than the same NA engine alone at least) though. I think that's the single biggest concern for a Lexus.
I wanted to mention that as well. I drove an E55 a few years ago, and I remember the rather very annoying whining noise produced by its FI system. No wonder AMG abandoned FI in favor of larger displacement in their current lineup.
Old 01-03-10 | 11:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by Och
I wanted to mention that as well. I drove an E55 a few years ago, and I remember the rather very annoying whining noise produced by its FI system. No wonder AMG abandoned FI in favor of larger displacement in their current lineup.
was that the main reason they changed from supercharger to NA though? i believe i read that they weren't very impressed with the superchargers. they are with NA now but will move to turbo next?

i agree noise on FI can be a concern, but i thought say on the e55, the exhaust tone kind of hide the charger whine pretty well?
Old 01-04-10 | 12:36 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
was that the main reason they changed from supercharger to NA though? i believe i read that they weren't very impressed with the superchargers. they are with NA now but will move to turbo next?

i agree noise on FI can be a concern, but i thought say on the e55, the exhaust tone kind of hide the charger whine pretty well?
Well, AMG does use turbo chargers on the 65 models currently (the 6 liter twin turbo V12's). I remember seeing a video by Jeremy Clarkson where he compared a 65 series AMG mercedes to either a 55 or a 600 series models, and the 65 series model wasn't any faster because it couldn't get any grip and the TC was cutting the throttle off.

I have no idea if they plan to turbo charge their 63 models, and if they do, all I can say is "hold on for your liiiiiiiife", lol. It will be an absolute insanity to the point that it may just destoy the driveability of the car.

So on the topic of GS-F, I'd much rather see a reasonably powered large v8 instead of an insane turbo charged monster.
Old 01-04-10 | 05:23 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I would be very surprise if the next GS have FI. Lexus knows what is its bread and butter. It is reliability and quietness. If they were to do a production FI engine, they would probably try it on a Toyota first.
Old 01-04-10 | 05:53 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I am still waiting for a refreshed version of the 3.5 L engine with more power and similar mpg. Infiniti did it and Acura even stepped up. Lexus needs to step up like they did with the 2IS back in the day.The IS at risk of showing its age. They dont need a redesign but a hp boost would be great. Also wider stock tires front and rear would be great
What? The Lexus 3.5 offers best MPG, better acceleration, better smoothness. Sounds like Acura and INfiniti need to step it up. Bigger displacement does not equate to better engines.

Did you forget this "hp boost"?

Old 01-04-10 | 06:06 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I for one am glad that Lexus is not getting too involved in the HP war like the other manufacturers. We are talking about a luxury sedan here, how many HP do we really need? And what do we give up for that extra HP, reliability, refinement or comfort. 300 HP is plenty for any average size sport sedan, car manufacturers should really concentrate in other areas that can improve on. I for one will not buy one sedan over another just because it has a few more HP.

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)