GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-11, 10:38 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Gotta agree, I love the remote touch (mouse **** thingy). [storm- there is no such thing as remote mouse! Lol... It's touchscreen or remote touch]

It's free moving it normally, but "locks" or "clicks" onto buttons on the screen providing you with tactile feedback. It's awesome.
Old 07-09-11, 10:45 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Gotta agree, I love the remote touch (mouse **** thingy). [storm- there is no such thing as remote mouse! Lol... It's touchscreen or remote touch]

It's free moving it normally, but "locks" or "clicks" onto buttons on the screen providing you with tactile feedback. It's awesome.
lol! my bad, haven't had my coffee yet this morning, had mouse in the brain instead of touch.
Old 07-09-11, 10:56 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

in so many ways, you can say remote touch is a smart move because it now allows for the screen to be moved further away and also to have something a little different in the market.

However, the other side of the coin is that Lexus found a way to keep the existing touch screen software and apply it to some sort of controller. This way, they didnt have to redo the entire nav programming to fit a **** or something. So this was a much more cost effective way of doing it
Old 07-09-11, 11:48 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Inlove remote touch. It took no time at all to get used to it in my RX.
Old 07-09-11, 11:56 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
I still hate this trend of i-drive, remote touch, remote ****.

imagine using the ATM with a **** instead of the touch screen.
why make it more complicated...
You really think the folks at Lexus engineered this to be more complicated than the previous touch screen applications?
Old 07-09-11, 12:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,438 Likes on 1,598 Posts

imagine using the ATM with a **** instead of the touch screen.
not a valid comparison. you don't have to coordinate driving while using an ATM.
Old 07-09-11, 12:34 PM
LexFather

Hoovey and everyone thanks for the info.

I have to say I was opposed to remote touch until using it. Way to easy. On top of that the "Lexus Enform" is genius. To hell with touching or even using remote touch, you press a button, speak to a Lexus rep and they find/download it for you. Took the families HS out of town recently and Lexus Enform is FANTASTIC. Remote Touch is brilliant, my folks who are clearly older have no issues using it and they are not techies by any means.

Old 07-09-11, 12:52 PM
LexFather

2-3 years for a GS F is right on schedule for me

Old 07-09-11, 01:36 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

I have to say I was opposed to remote touch until using it. Way to easy. On top of that the "Lexus Enform" is genius. To hell with touching or even using remote touch, you press a button, speak to a Lexus rep and they find/download it for you. Took the families HS out of town recently and Lexus Enform is FANTASTIC. Remote Touch is brilliant, my folks who are clearly older have no issues using it and they are not techies by any means.
Yeah, Lexus Enform is great. We've taken a couple of long driving vacations lately and use it regularly all while on the go.

I also like eDestination where you can download POI's, hotels, restaurants etc. from the home PC to the car's NAV while planning a trip.
Old 07-09-11, 04:28 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ true that. but we all like to see at least mpg improvements to keep up with the Joneses.

since the V8 doesn't sell much, I'm fine with them holding off on it.
I think the only reason the V8 doesn't sell is because they made it impotent.

If they had launched the 3GS in 2005 with the 380hp 4.6 V8 they unveiled in 2006, the GSV8 car would have quickly become a legend, and brought people from brands like BMW and Audi to Lexus. But they didn't - they launched with a 295hp V8. Then 2 years later when they updated it, they still didn't use the 380hp V8, but they chose to detune it.

So the GS460 doesn't sell because the retards in Lexus marketing think that people wont buy an LS460 if they can get a faster but cramped GS460 for less money.

So the story of the V8 GS is one of failure through incompetence, followed by giving up. A shame because it's a great car.
Old 07-09-11, 06:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

except the subscription fee, not sure if i would pay that kind of money. but the e-destination definitely is nice

and i personally like the remote touch a lot. i hate the idrive on my m3, never get used to it (after 3 yrs), i got used to the remote touch on the rx loaner in about 30 mins
Old 07-09-11, 06:43 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
except the subscription fee, not sure if i would pay that kind of money. but the e-destination definitely is nice

and i personally like the remote touch a lot. i hate the idrive on my m3, never get used to it (after 3 yrs), i got used to the remote touch on the rx loaner in about 30 mins
blah, entune is where it is... with superior bing live routing and poi's.
Telematics is great for SOS but everything else is crap if you have to pay monthly fee.

I think Hyundai is crazy to expect their customers to pay $280 per year for top bluelink package.

:-)
Old 07-09-11, 06:50 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
You really think the folks at Lexus engineered this to be more complicated than the previous touch screen applications?
I'm not talking about rocket-science-complicated.
I can use computers very well, and have no problem with remote controls and mice.

but relative to the touch screen, it requires more steps.

for example, remote touch climate control, blow air at foot-
click click, enter (climate menu).
click click click click click, (glance at screen) enter

in contrast, 3GS touch screen climate control-
push climate button, (glance at screen) touch.
done.

now, we have no choice, because putting the screen so far away requires a stretch by the short people.

This video summed it up best towards the end at 2:55.
touch screen = "see button, push button" = fastest way to do things.

For the new models, it would have been nice if they moved the screen closer, AND provided both options- remote and touch screen, to satisfy everyone's preference. Some of the 2005 GS prototype pics showed a mouse-like control. I think they may have considered having both before.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpavaEylDIc#t=2m55s
Old 07-09-11, 07:03 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

The history repeats itself eh?..... 2005 all over again! So, I'm guessing that in 2012 we'll see a GS350. Then a few years later GS360 / 370 will arrive ? And most likely the same year we'll see a GS-F.
Old 07-09-11, 07:19 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

I'm not talking about rocket-science-complicated.
I can use computers very well, and have no problem with remote controls and mice.

but relative to the touch screen, it requires more steps.

for example, remote touch climate control, blow air at foot-
click click, enter (climate menu).
click click click click click, (glance at screen) enter

in contrast, 3GS touch screen climate control-
push climate button, (glance at screen) touch.
done.

now, we have no choice, because putting the screen so far away requires a stretch by the short people.

This video summed it up best towards the end at 2:55.
touch screen = "see button, push button" = fastest way to do things.

For the new models, it would have been nice if they moved the screen closer, AND provided both options- remote and touch screen, to satisfy everyone's preference. Some of the 2005 GS prototype pics showed a mouse-like control. I think they may have considered having both before.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpavaEylDIc#t=2m55s
that argument would hold ground if they didnt have climate control buttons in RX... so you simply hit mode few times and you are set.

easier than both touch screen and remote touch :-)

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)