GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-11, 09:15 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns

I actually think it would look better with the blacked out divider, I hope that's what they'll do.
well lets hope they dont tame the grille like they probably will :-)
Old 07-09-11, 09:32 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
well lets hope they dont tame the grille like they probably will :-)
I agree. With the tamed grille, it looks pretty much the same as a 2IS.
Old 07-10-11, 04:56 AM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad news to me. I was not really impressed with the trunk design of the concept. Was really hoping for a sleeker coupish look. The headlights were a little boring to me also. We'll just have to see the finished product, I suppose. I'm a Lexus fanboy, so this is really dissapointing.

It will probably grow on me, but the 2GS and 3GS looked great to me the first time I saw them. Didn't need to grow on me.
Old 07-10-11, 05:12 AM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jre002
Bad news to me. I was not really impressed with the trunk design of the concept. Was really hoping for a sleeker coupish look. The headlights were a little boring to me also. We'll just have to see the finished product, I suppose. I'm a Lexus fanboy, so this is really dissapointing.

It will probably grow on me, but the 2GS and 3GS looked great to me the first time I saw them. Didn't need to grow on me.
Went back and looked at some youtube vids and I guess it's not that bad. I'm just not "excited" about it. I think that the color choice for the concept may be a factor also. To me, silver is boring (no offense to silver GS owners). I think Lexus pearl white or a nice black one would have been more stunning. Definitely need rearview mirrors added and the grille in 2 pieces... It's a Lexus not an Audi. Really my biggest gripe is what I said before and that is the traditional non-sporty looking trunk.

Oh, and I hate shark-fin antennas, but everyone is doing that now so can't really get away from it. But why? I mean with all the technology out there we still need goofy looking shark fins? I know most people like them but I hate those things.
Old 07-10-11, 07:12 AM
ISFSPORT10
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
I think the only reason the V8 doesn't sell is because they made it impotent.

If they had launched the 3GS in 2005 with the 380hp 4.6 V8 they unveiled in 2006, the GSV8 car would have quickly become a legend, and brought people from brands like BMW and Audi to Lexus. But they didn't - they launched with a 295hp V8. Then 2 years later when they updated it, they still didn't use the 380hp V8, but they chose to detune it.

So the GS460 doesn't sell because the retards in Lexus marketing think that people wont buy an LS460 if they can get a faster but cramped GS460 for less money.

So the story of the V8 GS is one of failure through incompetence, followed by giving up. A shame because it's a great car.

My Point exactly.You couldn't have hit the nail on the head more. Lexus needs to hear this from the consumers not the dealers.
Old 07-10-11, 07:29 AM
Allex909
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

،،،،،،،،،،،،،،،،،،،،،،، ،،،،،،،،،،،،،،،،،،،،،،،،،،
Old 07-10-11, 09:49 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 468 Likes on 290 Posts

I think the only reason the V8 doesn't sell is because they made it impotent.

If they had launched the 3GS in 2005 with the 380hp 4.6 V8 they unveiled in 2006, the GSV8 car would have quickly become a legend, and brought people from brands like BMW and Audi to Lexus. But they didn't - they launched with a 295hp V8. Then 2 years later when they updated it, they still didn't use the 380hp V8, but they chose to detune it.

So the GS460 doesn't sell because the retards in Lexus marketing think that people wont buy an LS460 if they can get a faster but cramped GS460 for less money.

So the story of the V8 GS is one of failure through incompetence, followed by giving up. A shame because it's a great car.
Agreed 100%! If BMW can sell a 400hp mid sized sedan, why can't Lexus?
Old 07-10-11, 10:47 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by designo
Agreed 100%! If BMW can sell a 400hp mid sized sedan, why can't Lexus?
Yeah and not just BMW, but more tellingly Infiniti does.

I really think the marketing department screwed up the GS460:
1) Most independent tests place the GS460 at 0-60 around 5.5 seconds (I have not seen a single test validating Lexus claim of 5.4)
2) Most independent tests find the LS460 does 0-60 in 5.8 - 6 seconds (Lexus claims 5.4. I think it is telling that they claim it is faster to 60 than the GS350 when it is not)
3) The GS460 would be around 5.2 if they hadn't detuned it.

It's a pretty clear inference they didn't want the GS460 to outperform the LS. This is just stupid. No other company has this hangup. It tells you the marketing people are more powerful than the engineers. A sign the company was losing it's soul back in the mid 2000s.
Old 07-10-11, 11:02 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Yeah and not just BMW, but more tellingly Infiniti does.

I really think the marketing department screwed up the GS460:
1) Most independent tests place the GS460 at 0-60 around 5.5 seconds (I have not seen a single test validating Lexus claim of 5.4)
2) Most independent tests find the LS460 does 0-60 in 5.8 - 6 seconds (Lexus claims 5.4. I think it is telling that they claim it is faster to 60 than the GS350 when it is not)
3) The GS460 would be around 5.2 if they hadn't detuned it.

It's a pretty clear inference they didn't want the GS460 to outperform the LS. This is just stupid. No other company has this hangup. It tells you the marketing people are more powerful than the engineers. A sign the company was losing it's soul back in the mid 2000s.
what's funnier is that if we look back to 3ls (ls430) and 2gs (gs400/430), gs had the same engine and was easily faster than the ls. both sold just fine
Old 07-10-11, 11:22 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

I don't think having more hp for the V8 when the 3rd Gen first came out would have solved anything. The problem with the 3rd gen GS is that it is numb and not fun to drive. That's one of the main reasons why I got rid of my 07 GS350...even after I dropped it on coilovers and put 20" wheels/summer tires. A little HP boost may help, but if you have a high horsepower barge that is not engaging to drive in the first place...it would still be a fail.
Old 07-10-11, 12:15 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by flipside909
I don't think having more hp for the V8 when the 3rd Gen first came out would have solved anything. The problem with the 3rd gen GS is that it is numb and not fun to drive. That's one of the main reasons why I got rid of my 07 GS350...even after I dropped it on coilovers and put 20" wheels/summer tires. A little HP boost may help, but if you have a high horsepower barge that is not engaging to drive in the first place...it would still be a fail.
I disagree. My GS is a blast to drive and all I have is F-Sport sways on it. I have an 2006 G300, which is considered to be a "slow" model. I also have a 2010 GS350, but I prefer the GS300. Honestly can't figure out why people say these cars are "numb" and not fun to drive. The steering on my car is so precise and it handles every entrance/exit ramp like a champ.

Maybe it's just me.
Old 07-10-11, 01:33 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

I completely disagree. The GS460 equipped with standard AVS, standard VGRS, with optional F-Sport sways and Sport Summer tires is very good to drive, and I would say is the best after the BMW 5 series in this segment. Most of my friends who only drive European cars, are completely shocked by how good the Lexus handles when I give them a shot at the wheel.
- Throttle response is great compared with most brands
- The dynamic electric steering does a great job of increasing weight and feel during high speed cornering, yet remains light for low speed parking maneuvers
- The AVS holds the car reasonably flat in corners, and cars which also have APSS are even more flat. But the basic AVS version already has very little body roll in high speed cornering.

The GS350 comes with soft suspension, junk tires (rated 3 out of 10 by tire rack users), and without the active suspension package, the steering is not variable assist, so this combination of factors makes the base model less driver oriented.
Old 07-10-11, 01:37 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
what's funnier is that if we look back to 3ls (ls430) and 2gs (gs400/430), gs had the same engine and was easily faster than the ls. both sold just fine
If you look at the history of Lexus it began as an engineering led company and that's when V8 GS cars sold well and the GS in general sold well.

When the marketing people gained power, the company began a slippery slope which led to share loss, and in the case of the GS destroyed their strong share of the segment.

Akio Toyoda has been quite clear that he is trying to make the company an engineering driven organization again, driven by people who are passionate about cars. But he still has some way to go.

Clearly this instance, launching a GS, but not providing a V8 competitor, when they already have a powertrain to compete with the 550i and M56, is just dumb. It's not like they have to design a new engine.
Old 07-10-11, 01:57 PM
designo
Pole Position

I disagree as well! I have 3 cars at my disposal at home, an M5, a 997 and the GS. I can't get enough of the GS. It's the complete package without any compromise whatsoever!
Old 07-10-11, 02:00 PM
designo
Pole Position

When the LS400 was released in the early 90's, it was an instant hit here in the Middle East. It looked great, was quiet ( the famous silent engine ) and out performed the BMW's and Mercs and Audi's!

Somewhere down the road, Lexus lost the plot!

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)