GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-11, 01:28 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus, pleeeeeeez make a GS wagon
Old 07-11-11, 03:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
At this point I'm more interested to know if the new GS hybrid can beat the M35h in terms of power and fuel economy, as the M35h has surpassed the GS450h in both areas, particularly fuel economy, where M35h eclipses the GS450h by 26%. The GS450h does still beat the M35h in official 0-60mph acceleration times though. If the 21% fuel economy jump we've seen from the rumored new Camry Hybrid specs is true and the new GS hybrid can switch to Li-ion batteries like the M35h (and the Prius alpha and the Prius Plug-in), I think it is possible for the new GS hybrid to beat the M35h; otherwise let's hope it at least beats it in trunk space.
lion batteries dont add mpg... they remove 20lbs of weight and thats it.
M35h has poor trunk, like Sonata Hybrid... both also seem to be slower than HSD hybrids, so this usage of AT transmission is definitively hurting performance.

i wonder whats the real mpg for M35h, nobody is posting anything yet... GS450h was not optimized for new EPA tests, just like Camry, so many people do better than EPA in both Camry and GS. Heck, in all tests Camry gets as good or even better mpg than Fusion Hybrid for instance that should be 20% better.
Old 07-11-11, 03:17 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
lion batteries dont add mpg... they remove 20lbs of weight and thats it.
Either that, or a Li-ion battery can store more energy with the same weight so that the car has better chance of running the electric motors longer and harder, thereby helping mpg.
M35h has poor trunk, like Sonata Hybrid... both also seem to be slower than HSD hybrids, so this usage of AT transmission is definitively hurting performance.
Agreed. There's a definite advantage in always being on the optimal RPMs and not losing time shifting with e-CVT.
i wonder whats the real mpg for M35h, nobody is posting anything yet... GS450h was not optimized for new EPA tests, just like Camry, so many people do better than EPA in both Camry and GS. Heck, in all tests Camry gets as good or even better mpg than Fusion Hybrid for instance that should be 20% better.
Right, but the fact the V6 in the GS450h is not on Atkinson cycle also hurts its fuel economy quite a bit, so I expect the new GS hybrid to do better just by switching to an Atkinson cycle engine.

Last edited by ydooby; 07-11-11 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-11-11, 03:58 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Either that, or a Li-ion battery can store more energy with the same weight so that the car has better chance of running the electric motors longer and harder, thereby helping mpg.Agreed. There's a definite advantage in always being on the optimal RPMs and not losing time shifting with e-CVT.Right, but the fact the V6 in the GS450h is not on Atkinson cycle also hurts its fuel economy quite a bit, so I expect the new GS hybrid to do better just by switching to an Atkinson cycle engine.
putting larger batteries is not question of weight (20lbs saving is insignificant) but of $$$ :-).

As to the performance, i wonder if it is because system is simply not as integrated. PSD in HSD is power split device,not real CVT... it allows for smooth integration of different powertrains. Generally CVT cars are not any faster than other transmissions.
Old 07-11-11, 04:44 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by replica
Lexus, pleeeeeeez make a GS wagon
If they did, they'd sell two in the US.

Me, and you.
Old 07-11-11, 05:07 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

putting larger batteries is not question of weight (20lbs saving is insignificant) but of $$$ :-).
True that.
As to the performance, i wonder if it is because system is simply not as integrated. PSD in HSD is power split device,not real CVT... it allows for smooth integration of different powertrains. Generally CVT cars are not any faster than other transmissions.
Theorically CVT should be faster, but I can't find consistent performance stats on cars that have equipped both AT and CVT throughout its model cycle (e.g. the last-gen Maxima) to support that theory. If being always on the power band and not having to shift are not enough reasons why Toyoat's HSD is faster, then maybe it's because HSD's PSD doesn't have a torque converter that sacks away power like the conventional AT does.

Last edited by ydooby; 07-11-11 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-11-11, 05:10 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexuslvr91
Has anyone seen this chop?
GS-F Wagon would be nice but will never happen

It sucks that many people wouldn't like a wagon. Guess people will stick to their CUV / SUV.
Old 07-11-11, 05:23 PM
scgt652
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JessePS
GS-F Wagon would be nice but will never happen

It sucks that many people wouldn't like a wagon. Guess people will stick to their CUV / SUV.
This wagon brings back memories of the LF-X concept:

http://www.insideline.com/lexus/lf-x...exus-lf-x.html
Old 07-11-11, 05:35 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

True that.Theorically CVT should be faster, but I can't find consistent performance stats on cars that have equipped both AT and CVT throughout its model cycle (e.g. the last-gen Maxima) to support that theory. If being always on the power band and not having to shift are not enough reasons why Toyoat's HSD is faster, then maybe it's because HSD's PSD doesn't have a torque converter that sacks away power like the conventional AT does.
my opinion is that it is due to the fact they are not integrated as well... electric motor is like an addon in that system.

new AT's dont have problems with sapping power since they lock-up torque convertor...

Hybrid Sonata at 9.2s 0-60 is pretty slow with 209hp, compared to Camry Hybrid with 187hp and 8.3s...

I just read on chinese site that new Camry will be a little bit lighter so thats great for performance... even if it is 30kg like new Yaris.
Old 07-11-11, 06:32 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by jre002
I think your expectations may be unrealistic. I mean what is it that you want from your GS? You can say that you feel that it is uninspiring, but maybe you are expecting Porsche 911-like handling from a luxury sedan.
I honestly think the 2nd Gen GS had better steering feel than the 3rd generation (even with the L-Tuned steering ECU...which later became a standard for 430 models). Even the steering wheel was thicker in diameter than the current GS. The materials in the 2nd Gen GS felt a lot more substantial than 3rd Gen. Dash rattle, trim rattle, windshield and back glass clicking...those are 3rd Gen GS attributes...that's unheard of in the 2nd gen.

They still haven't figured out the right formula for GS from the start. Gen 1 GS was cool but it had an awkward rear end...and a weak engine. They made noise with 2nd Generation because they offered the 1UZ-FE V8 with 300hp. Bringing on a VVT-i version of the same engine was okay but really wasn't the reason why many desired a GS. Unfortunately with 2nd Gen, they dragged their feet 8 yrs too long. With 3rd Gen...they screwed up the engine choices and carried over an old engine (the 3UZ-FE 4.3L V8).

My expectations are not unrealistic because Lexus took a step backward in their focus with 3rd generation as the midsize "sports sedan" performer. 2nd Gen GS400 when it was introduced in 97 as a 1998 model was exciting...and desirable. For 3rd Gen, L-Finesse was more important than anything on the whole car. I bought my GS 350 because I wanted something bigger than the 04 IS300 I had traded it in for. But after owning the GS 350 after 15 months and modding it in just 5 months of ownership, it left me looking for more. The 3rd gen GS is probably one of the best looking GS to date, but again looks are subjective...not everyone will agree. In reality, the 3rd gen GS has a pretty weak trunk capacity and crappy opening (I can fit more in my IS F), not so great leg room in the rear, and so-so seating comfort in the front. Blame that on the poorly designed, short seatback height and non-adjustable seat cushion for those with longer legs.

Lets hope 4th generation improves on this.

Originally Posted by jtrue28
AWD folks beg to differ.
All my references were to GS 350 RWD. AWD versions are a very small percentage of GS 350 sales nationwide anyway.

Last edited by flipside909; 07-11-11 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-11-11, 07:53 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

my opinion is that it is due to the fact they are not integrated as well... electric motor is like an addon in that system.

new AT's dont have problems with sapping power since they lock-up torque convertor...

Hybrid Sonata at 9.2s 0-60 is pretty slow with 209hp, compared to Camry Hybrid with 187hp and 8.3s...

I just read on chinese site that new Camry will be a little bit lighter so thats great for performance... even if it is 30kg like new Yaris.
new yaris is 30kg lighter? All comparable trims?
Old 07-11-11, 08:16 PM
mikesm
Rookie

Originally Posted by flipside909
I honestly think the 2nd Gen GS had better steering feel than the 3rd generation (even with the L-Tuned steering ECU...which later became a standard for 430 models). Even the steering wheel was thicker in diameter than the current GS. The materials in the 2nd Gen GS felt a lot more substantial than 3rd Gen. Dash rattle, trim rattle, windshield and back glass clicking...those are 3rd Gen GS attributes...that's unheard of in the 2nd gen.

They still haven't figured out the right formula for GS from the start. Gen 1 GS was cool but it had an awkward rear end...and a weak engine. They made noise with 2nd Generation because they offered the 1UZ-FE V8 with 300hp. Bringing on a VVT-i version of the same engine was okay but really wasn't the reason why many desired a GS. Unfortunately with 2nd Gen, they dragged their feet 8 yrs too long. With 3rd Gen...they screwed up the engine choices and carried over an old engine (the 3UZ-FE 4.3L V8).

My expectations are not unrealistic because Lexus took a step backward in their focus with 3rd generation as the midsize "sports sedan" performer. 2nd Gen GS400 when it was introduced in 97 as a 1998 model was exciting...and desirable. For 3rd Gen, L-Finesse was more important than anything on the whole car. I bought my GS 350 because I wanted something bigger than the 04 IS300 I had traded it in for. But after owning the GS 350 after 15 months and modding it in just 5 months of ownership, it left me looking for more. The 3rd gen GS is probably one of the best looking GS to date, but again looks are subjective...not everyone will agree. In reality, the 3rd gen GS has a pretty weak trunk capacity and crappy opening (I can fit more in my IS F), not so great leg room in the rear, and so-so seating comfort in the front. Blame that on the poorly designed, short seatback height and non-adjustable seat cushion for those with longer legs.

Lets hope 4th generation improves on this.
I totally agree. I still have my 99 GS400 - the engine performance and drivability, coupled with the advanced GPS of it's day is what caused me to purchase it. I like the looks of the 3GS, but for some reason it's performance never compelled me to upgrade.
Old 07-11-11, 10:50 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MR_F1
new yaris is 30kg lighter? All comparable trims?
well, i dont think it is comparable trims... since now it has more equipment at every level, and still 30kg lighter.
Old 07-12-11, 01:06 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Lexus should just release the 4GS already ...
Old 07-12-11, 07:10 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Lexus should just release the 4GS already ...

Or re-release the 2nd Gen as a special edition with 400+hp

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)