GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-11, 10:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
lol, paul ftw

i was waiting for dunnojack with his ps job again
i don't have his skills, but here you go
Attached Thumbnails 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)-overhangcompare.jpg  
Old 07-16-11, 10:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,635 Posts

whole thing is hard to tell because that pic i just posted makes the gs wheelbase look a lot longer than the m5!
Old 07-16-11, 10:25 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scale to wheel size
Old 07-16-11, 10:28 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
whole thing is hard to tell because that pic i just posted makes the gs wheelbase look a lot longer than the m5!
well, how much photoshop works is required to show us the difference also tells us how important it is... once again, vs 400lbs difference in weight... lol.
Old 07-16-11, 11:13 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
That's because the GS is at a slight angle compared to the BMW. The overhangs are never going to be BMW small, but as is I think it looks fine.

Does anyone know for sure if this car is based on the same platform and with the same wheelbase as the current model? If so it indicates that the next IS won't see big changes either since it's based on the GS.
Old 07-16-11, 11:42 AM
DFGeneer
Rookie

One should not judge overhangs by comparing pictures taken from different angles and different perspectives.
That being said, I guess the overhang of the GS might be little longer than the 5er, but that is compensated by the nice smooth looking profile instead of the horrid BMW "sniffing" nose that points upwards.

LF-Gh concept looks stunning.
Old 07-16-11, 11:44 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
That's because the GS is at a slight angle compared to the BMW. The overhangs are never going to be BMW small, but as is I think it looks fine.

Does anyone know for sure if this car is based on the same platform and with the same wheelbase as the current model? If so it indicates that the next IS won't see big changes either since it's based on the GS.
what does wheelbase have to do with platform? Prius V has different wheelbase but is based on as same platform as Prius. And it didnt cost them arm and leg. Just because Toyota doesnt feel like their cars should be growing longer and heavier with every new release, doesnt mean that it didnt do any changes.

i hope 4GS wont be 4000lb car like F10.
Old 07-16-11, 11:44 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Scale to wheel size
apparently 450h will have bigger wheels than M5 :-)
Old 07-16-11, 11:47 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
what does wheelbase have to do with platform? Prius V has different wheelbase but is based on as same platform as Prius. And it didnt cost them arm and leg. Just because Toyota doesnt feel like their cars should be growing longer and heavier with every new release, doesnt mean that it didnt do any changes.

i hope 4GS wont be 4000lb car like F10.
They are increasing the length, you'd think they'd increase the wheelbase to match it. It doesn't necessarily mean the car will end up heavy - that will depend on how and with what it's built.

My question though was two questions, is it the same platform and is it the same wheelbase as the current model.
Old 07-16-11, 02:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
well, how much photoshop works is required to show us the difference also tells us how important it is... once again, vs 400lbs difference in weight... lol.
if you have to say longer wheel base means 400lb heavier, you got it. i asked the question but i still have to hear concrete answer that longer wheel base means substantial increase in weight. otherwise, you making yourself look pretty funny too
Old 07-16-11, 02:14 PM
Compass
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Cars sold in Europe require LED when they get redone, its a big safety item there. Since Lexus is sold in Europe they are adding them when possible. So its not copying Audi, its the law. Though Audi was the first to come with LEDs with Porsche.

I don't see anyone saying how the Europeans copied Lexus when lexus was first or one of the first with LEDs inside the car and on the license plate .
Europe specifically requires the row of LEDs at the bottom of the light housing? Or they require LEDs to be incorporated into the headlights in some fashion. If it's the former I guess Lexus and other copycats get a pass. If it's the latter, then they're just being lazy and ripping off a telltale design cue from a competitor because they thought it looked good (which it does).
Old 07-16-11, 03:59 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
if you have to say longer wheel base means 400lb heavier, you got it. i asked the question but i still have to hear concrete answer that longer wheel base means substantial increase in weight. otherwise, you making yourself look pretty funny too
so why does the F10 weight 4000lbs, 600lbs up from previous car?
Because of longer plastic bumpers and aluminium hood? Old car was not safe enough? It wasnt sound proof enough?
Old 07-16-11, 04:00 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
They are increasing the length, you'd think they'd increase the wheelbase to match it. It doesn't necessarily mean the car will end up heavy - that will depend on how and with what it's built.

My question though was two questions, is it the same platform and is it the same wheelbase as the current model.
lexus is going to say it is new platform regardless of what it is.
Old 07-16-11, 04:15 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Everybody all hung up over the length of the car is so ridiculous.

5 series is not the be all end all of premium cars and certainly is not a 'benchmark' for Lexus to beat, they do what they do and can care less how the GS overhang contrasts to the 5 series.
Old 07-16-11, 04:43 PM
rocks
Driver

What is the benchmark? I'm pretty sure it's the Germans, believe it or not, your beloved Lexus might not even had existed if it weren't for the Germans. You'd think since you're a Lexus fanatic you'd know the history of the brand and what was the motivation behind its inception.

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)