GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-11, 08:16 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns

Never seen this pic of the LF-Gh before...and to be quite honest, it might be the best shot yet. It looks extremely muscular and aggressive here - both things I never really saw in the other photos. Front fenders are huge
Old 07-17-11, 08:24 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the GS wheelbase doesn't increase, so what? Why does Lexus HAVE to increase the wheelbase? Really, why? Because the Germans have done so? The 5 Series is very close to the 7 Series in size. By continually increasing wheelbase and length, the 3 Series will soon be like the 5, the 5 will be as big as a 7, and the 7 Series might as well be called the 9 Series at that point.

Bigger is NOT always better. The GS should remain a midsize, and the IS should remain a compact sedan. There needs to be a clear size differentiation between the IS, GS, and LS yes. But that doesn't mean they all have to keep getting bigger. A bigger wheelbase helps in some situations like road comfort, but it seriously hinders a car in other aspects like handling and agility.

Even if the 4GS has the same wheelbase as the 3GS, first off that doesn't mean it will be the same platform. It could be a new platform or heavily revised platform, and Lexus may have their own reasons for keeping the same wheelbase. Secondly, with more efficient packaging and design, the legroom and headroom in the 4GS could definitely be better than the 3GS even with the same wheelbase.

Last but not least, lets wait for the production 4GS to debut so we can see what the actual wheelbase is before making assumptions.
Old 07-17-11, 09:39 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Never seen this pic of the LF-Gh before...and to be quite honest, it might be the best shot yet. It looks extremely muscular and aggressive here - both things I never really saw in the other photos. Front fenders are huge
Okay I thought it was just me I also never saw that pic b4 and thought "wow looks great".

In regards to weight let me add that I think BMW and everyone is figuring out in regards to luxury cars, 99% of the consumers don't care about weight. They care about other things. ALso cutting weight is very expensive for a car brand. Lets all be honest here, none of the cars in this class is a lightweight. Maybe one or two is relatively speaking but they all mostly weigh over 4000 lbs which is well, tons.
Old 07-17-11, 09:49 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike@Vossen
Okay I thought it was just me I also never saw that pic b4 and thought "wow looks great".
The pic is a screenshot (photoshopped with door handles and mirror) from the LF-Gh video Lexus launched with the concept:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uULLn7TZano

The video also has shots of the car in movement (~5:50), and the car has a lot of presence on the road. I am adamant that if they keep true to the concept the 4GS would be in competition for the best looking car in the segment. Throw in a high tech class leading interior with leather stitched dash (unlike either Audi, Mercedes or BMW), competitive performance, leading quality and customer service and it will be formidable competition. Desirability is the one thing most Lexuses lack, and if that is addressed then the main reason to buy German goes out the window.
Old 07-17-11, 10:24 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I agree. That looks epic!
Old 07-17-11, 11:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
If the GS wheelbase doesn't increase, so what? Why does Lexus HAVE to increase the wheelbase? Really, why? Because the Germans have done so? The 5 Series is very close to the 7 Series in size. By continually increasing wheelbase and length, the 3 Series will soon be like the 5, the 5 will be as big as a 7, and the 7 Series might as well be called the 9 Series at that point.

Bigger is NOT always better. The GS should remain a midsize, and the IS should remain a compact sedan. There needs to be a clear size differentiation between the IS, GS, and LS yes. But that doesn't mean they all have to keep getting bigger. A bigger wheelbase helps in some situations like road comfort, but it seriously hinders a car in other aspects like handling and agility.

Even if the 4GS has the same wheelbase as the 3GS, first off that doesn't mean it will be the same platform. It could be a new platform or heavily revised platform, and Lexus may have their own reasons for keeping the same wheelbase. Secondly, with more efficient packaging and design, the legroom and headroom in the 4GS could definitely be better than the 3GS even with the same wheelbase.

Last but not least, lets wait for the production 4GS to debut so we can see what the actual wheelbase is before making assumptions.
i don't think they HAVE to increase the wheel base, and i don't think anyone says longer wheel base is ALWAYS better. you are right that if they are able to utilize space and be creative with design, current wheel base is fine. car has to look proportional, that's purely cosmetic. it seems like 4gs will once again get longer? so with the same wheel base that means more overhang. not the end of the world, again, if they are able to do the rest of the design right. but from a first shot, and especially how they fail so miserably with the use of space in 3gs, it's definitely a crucial topic.

one thing remains true is that we don't know what the final wheel base is on the 4gs. the concept to me is a reference. very true when the 4gs is out we will know how everything plays out.

and yes, i think from that angel the concept looks good. very bulky, i like that
Old 07-18-11, 01:09 AM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by rominl
i don't think they HAVE to increase the wheel base, and i don't think anyone says longer wheel base is ALWAYS better. you are right that if they are able to utilize space and be creative with design, current wheel base is fine. car has to look proportional, that's purely cosmetic. it seems like 4gs will once again get longer? so with the same wheel base that means more overhang. not the end of the world, again, if they are able to do the rest of the design right. but from a first shot, and especially how they fail so miserably with the use of space in 3gs, it's definitely a crucial topic.

one thing remains true is that we don't know what the final wheel base is on the 4gs. the concept to me is a reference. very true when the 4gs is out we will know how everything plays out.

and yes, i think from that angel the concept looks good. very bulky, i like that
There are ways to increase interior size without increasing wheel base, such as pushing the engine front more, and having and longer front over hang, or pushing the rear more backwards and having more rear overhang.
Old 07-18-11, 06:11 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by xioix
There are ways to increase interior size without increasing wheel base, such as pushing the engine front more, and having and longer front over hang, or pushing the rear more backwards and having more rear overhang.
a lot of wheelbase on F10 went into engine placement behind front axle, and not interior space. Which is good for handling, but then again it is 4000+lbs car.

Lexus definitively has to address rear headroom and trunk space (especially for hybrid) for 2012 model.

I heard Lexus regional rep tell me that for GS450h trunk doesnt matter as it will be used as 2nd car, statement that seemed ridicilous by me (and I told him) and obviously they realized that since they increased the space for 2008 MY, but it was still not good enough.

If you cant have at least 14-16cuft in such large car, you are doing it wrong.
Old 07-18-11, 06:15 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mike@Vossen

In regards to weight let me add that I think BMW and everyone is figuring out in regards to luxury cars, 99% of the consumers don't care about weight. They care about other things. ALso cutting weight is very expensive for a car brand. Lets all be honest here, none of the cars in this class is a lightweight. Maybe one or two is relatively speaking but they all mostly weigh over 4000 lbs which is well, tons.
you can not-care about weight on paper, but you will care about it when you drive the car, your mpg will be worse, your acceleration will be slower and you will notice every pound in the tight curves.

and then you will go into lighter car and notice how much nicer it is... just like everyone says that E60 is a lot sportier drive with much better feel than F10, which has dulled out responses and drive.

I know my GS350 AWD never liked tight curves, and it is 3900lbs car.
Old 07-18-11, 06:44 AM
rocks
Driver

Here's my two cents, Lexus needs to implement a bigger trunk as well as more head room and fold down seats on this model. As have been said these features are a must for a midsize luxury sedan. The weight debate is irrelevant since we are talking about Lexus here. Remember this is not the IS-F....As for BMW, they have made a car that while looks better than the previous one is a fail in terms of driving dynamics. Lexus GS was never coveted for its driving dynamics; however, BMW has now turn the F10 into a Lexus GS which is even more reason for me not to desire owning it. Driving dynamics was probably the only advantage the 5er had over the GS. As it stands now, there really is no advantage in buying the F10 when the 4GS will be cheaper and rides about the same. Now, if you want a nice drivers car in this class you have no other choice but Infiniti, a brand that I never really cared for and as such would never purchase.....
Old 07-18-11, 08:37 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by xioix
agreed. but the 3gs suffered big time on front cabin shoulder / head room, rear cabin space in every dimension, and also the trunk. i guess that pushes things in one direction but then again, the 2gs was not bad at all, very spacious. so i always blame lexus for their wrong use of space in the 3gs.
Old 07-18-11, 01:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,556 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
E60 had two turbos... and it weighted 400lbs less.
mmkay, but isn't e60 quite a bit shorter / narrower / etc. than f10?

i don't disagree with you that lower weight is better! but making things light with so much luxury and features is not only really difficult, it's expensive.

When GS or IS were 100lbs heavier than BMW's, Lexus was called inferior engineering company on these forums...
perhaps someone had that opinion but you know what they say about opinions.

i don't think anyone here have said that the heavy weight on the bmw f10 5 series is a GOOD thing. where did anyone say that? point that out to me please? a lot of people are just saying that lengthened wheel base can be a good thing to make the car look more proportion and probably better ride quality.

if the 4gs comes out very light and produce good results on fuel economy and performance, i will give them credit any day. but if the short wheel base makes the overhang looks funny in the production version, i will make sure i mention about that too.

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Yes but the point here is that if Lexus increased the length of the new GS they should have increased the wheelbase to match. It doesn't mean it would have added more weight, and the argument that if it had a similar wheelbase to the 5er would make the GS porky is not accurate.

The concept car though still looks more RWD than the A6
it does? how so? and i think that a6 is much more elegant, sorry.

Hopefully the production version will be as muscular.
it seems muscular in a dodge charger or e60 way, which are too macho / in your face for me.

you can not-care about weight on paper, but you will care about it when you drive the car, your mpg will be worse, your acceleration will be slower and you will notice every pound in the tight curves.

and then you will go into lighter car and notice how much nicer it is... just like everyone says that E60 is a lot sportier drive with much better feel than F10, which has dulled out responses and drive.
no doubt all true. lighter cars are just way more fun to drive, especially if they're well balanced.

I know my GS350 AWD never liked tight curves, and it is 3900lbs car.
yes well, no disrespect to your car, but the suspension (with big front wheel gap too for some reason) just never seemed tuned for the chassis.

here's to hoping the 4GS looks good, handles good, is quite a bit lighter than the f10, and sells well!
Old 07-18-11, 01:19 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

it does? how so? and i think that a6 is much more elegant, sorry.
It looks more RWD because there is more of a gap between the front door and the axle. As for the A6 being elegant, I disagree. I'm not a fan of the C-pillar area, the integrated spoiler or the style of crease they've chosen to use for the belt line. You either pinch it out like BMW or do a slight bend in the metal like Lexus. The style Audi's chosen (and Mercedes seems fond of as well) looks cheap and ages fast IMO.

it seems muscular in a dodge charger or e60 way, which are too macho / in your face for me.
At least it will have some presence going down the road, something the current one lacks IMO.
Old 07-18-11, 01:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I heard Lexus regional rep tell me that for GS450h trunk doesnt matter as it will be used as 2nd car, statement that seemed ridicilous by me (and I told him) and obviously they realized that since they increased the space for 2008 MY, but it was still not good enough.

can't agree more.

2gs - 14.8 cu.ft.

3gs - 12.7 cu.ft.
w211 - 15.9 cu.ft.
e60 - 14.0 cu.ft.

w212 - 15.9 cu.ft.
f10 - 14.0 cu.ft.

you can see what a huge step back it is on the 3gs.

also, it's more than just numbers on paper. the overall shape is important too.
Old 07-18-11, 01:59 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

can't agree more.

2gs - 14.8 cu.ft.

3gs - 12.7 cu.ft.
w211 - 15.9 cu.ft.
e60 - 14.0 cu.ft.

w212 - 15.9 cu.ft.
f10 - 14.0 cu.ft.

you can see what a huge step back it is on the 3gs.

also, it's more than just numbers on paper. the overall shape is important too.
F10 is bad too i guess... 2007 GS450h i think had 8.x cu. ft. :-)

MB is MB, always had big trunks...

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)