GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-11, 02:13 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
agreed. but the 3gs suffered big time on front cabin shoulder / head room, rear cabin space in every dimension, and also the trunk. i guess that pushes things in one direction but then again, the 2gs was not bad at all, very spacious. so i always blame lexus for their wrong use of space in the 3gs.
The very tight spaces inside the 3GS is due to the L-finesse styling, you can see it on the outside how spaces are sacrificed by the styling, is because of the low and fast curvy coupe like roof line and how the upper portion of the body is curved-in. Stylish = no space, boxy = spacious. This is why I drive the most boxy of all Lexus......LS430

The 4GS looks like is a little bigger in dimensions, but the overall shape is pretty much the same as the 3GS, so the interior space will be similarly tight. Increasing the wheelbase only give you more leg room, the problem here required rising the roof up and making the upper portion of the body wider, which would make it look like a box.

Most stylish sedans came out after 2006 suffer the same issue, sacrificing interior space for coupe styling. The ones on top of my head are: Infiniti M-series, Jaguar XJ, MB CLS-class......etc.
Old 07-18-11, 02:25 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i don't disagree with you that lower weight is better! but making things light with so much luxury and features is not only really difficult, it's expensive.
It is not difficult, just very expensive. It just means everything have to be made out of carbon fiber, the technology existed for 20 years now, Gordon Murray invented it and introduced it on the Mclaren F1 in 1992.

The only difficult part is to figure out how to lower the cost.

Look at the LFA, it got every features and luxuries every Lexus have and it is lightweight. Every major car companies is working on how to make a main stream mass produced production car out of carbon fiber inexpensively right now. Lexus today can make a GS460 the same way as a LFA and the GS460 can weight 3000 lbs, but the MSRP would be $200k.

It is coming slowly but surely. 20 years ago, an all carbon fiber Mclaren F1 was $1 million. 10 years ago, the all carbon Ferrari Enzo was $650k. Now a 2011 MP4-12C is made in a similar way and cost only $250k. Give it 10~20 more years, an all carbon 3000 lbs BMW M3 will be available for $80k.

This is a main focus of Gordon Murray constantly, is how to lower the cost of carbon fiber manufacturing.

Last edited by BNR34; 07-18-11 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-18-11, 02:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
The very tight spaces inside the 3GS is due to the L-finesse styling, you can see it on the outside how spaces are sacrificed by the styling, is because of the low and fast curvy coupe like roof line and how the upper portion of the body is curved-in. Stylish = no space, boxy = spacious. This is why I drive the most boxy of all Lexus......LS430

The 4GS looks like is a little bigger in dimensions, but the overall shape is pretty much the same as the 3GS, so the interior space will be similarly tight. Increasing the wheelbase only give you more leg room, the problem here required rising the roof up and making the upper portion of the body wider, which would make it look like a box.

Most stylish sedans came out after 2006 suffer the same issue, sacrificing interior space for coupe styling. The ones on top of my head are: Infiniti M-series, Jaguar XJ, MB CLS-class......etc.
yup, i also think the 3gs went too much with style (which i don't really like that much anyway) and lost all the space. to be honest on the 4gs, one of the biggest things i look into is space
Old 07-18-11, 02:49 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

yup, i also think the 3gs went too much with style (which i don't really like that much anyway) and lost all the space. to be honest on the 4gs, one of the biggest things i look into is space
you can see 3GS owners think-alike :-).

I would have purchased hybrid, then my cousin sent me pic of sheet of A4 paper in the trunk of GS450h, and it seemed like it filled it up :P
Old 07-18-11, 02:53 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

You are right, it is true that weight is a huge enermy of every aspect of a car's performance. I am not saying weight is irrelevant, it is one of the most important factor on a car, but right now the technology is not there to make a huge car with tons of features light weight inexpensively yet, it will come eventually.

Originally Posted by spwolf
you can not-care about weight on paper, but you will care about it when you drive the car, your mpg will be worse, your acceleration will be slower and you will notice every pound in the tight curves.
Acceleration can be compensated by more power. And bad handling is just due to suspension tuning, the 3850 lbs Nissan GTR is one of the best handling car in the world right now, go drive one, it feels like it is 2000 lbs, very light on it's feet.

and then you will go into lighter car and notice how much nicer it is... just like everyone says that E60 is a lot sportier drive with much better feel than F10, which has dulled out responses and drive.
The F10 got more sluggish handling then the E60/E39 is due to BMW changing their suspension tuning style, not because the car is heavier. Every latest BMW model's suspension have been made softer to dulled out responses. It is a big mystery as to why BMW would do that, as excellent handling is always been the trade mark of BMW. Maybe some marketing research is telling BMW more comfort would sell more cars.

I know my GS350 AWD never liked tight curves, and it is 3900lbs car.
Again, it is not the weight, is the suspension. The Nissan GTR weight the same as your GS350, it smoked just about every cars around a corner

Last edited by BNR34; 07-18-11 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-18-11, 02:53 PM
Alucard
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone think the audio system will be different/better than what's currently in the GS?

Wasn't it the 2nd Gen GS that got the Levinson stuff first?
Old 07-18-11, 03:01 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

The 4GS looks a little more boxy, but not much........and the roof is still coupe like, I am guessing the interior space won't improve much from the 3GS.
Old 07-18-11, 03:13 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

F10 is bad too i guess... 2007 GS450h i think had 8.x cu. ft. :-)

MB is MB, always had big trunks...
That's why they're so useful as taxi's, I had first hand experience from being picked up @ European airports by them, and I am quite impressed ......
Old 07-18-11, 03:18 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Alucard
Anyone think the audio system will be different/better than what's currently in the GS?

Wasn't it the 2nd Gen GS that got the Levinson stuff first?
Audio always improved in every generation..........as electronic improved in an insane rate.

Yes Levinson came out on 2GS, but it wasn't that great then, the 3GS sounds A LOT better. I am sure the 4GS will have improvement in that area.
Old 07-18-11, 03:19 PM
JohnyUtah
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow the new GS is ugly. Especially that huge front grill.
Old 07-18-11, 03:37 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
It is not difficult, just very expensive. It just means everything have to be made out of carbon fiber, the technology existed for 20 years now, Gordon Murray invented it and introduced it on the Mclaren F1 in 1992.

The only difficult part is to figure out how to lower the cost.
Gordon Murray most certainly did not invent CFRP, and the problem is not only the cost, but how to mass produce CFRP forms effectively and quickly. You cant just stamp CFRP panels as you would steel or aluminum and that IMHO is a bigger issue than the cost.
Old 07-18-11, 04:57 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Gordon Murray most certainly did not invent CFRP,
I should have been more specific, I didn't mean Gordon Murray invented CFRP, but he was the 1st person who apply CFRP to automotive application. He did it on a F1 racer 1st back in the early 80s, then apply it to the Mclaren F1 road car in the 90s.

Originally Posted by MR_F1
and the problem is not only the cost, but how to mass produce CFRP forms effectively and quickly. You cant just stamp CFRP panels as you would steel or aluminum and that IMHO is a bigger issue than the cost.
You just described the cost issue

They know how to make an entire car out of CFRP at a high cost, as seen by Mclaren F1/MP4-12C, Enzo and Carrera GT, they just don't know how to mass produce it to make it cheaply for a car under $200k.

Curing cancer is not a cost issue, they just don't know how to do it regardless of cost.

Last edited by BNR34; 07-18-11 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-18-11, 05:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,556 Posts

F10 is bad too i guess...
because it has 14cu. ft.? it is also offered with optional rear folding seats however, a HUGE win!

don't you already have a swagger wagon in addition to the gs anyway?
Old 07-18-11, 06:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

because it has 14cu. ft.? it is also offered with optional rear folding seats however, a HUGE win!

14 isn't bad at all. not even 13, that's bad. and yes, fold down seat, that fixes tons of problems

lol, swagger wagon? nooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Old 07-18-11, 06:18 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

sorry - for some reason there is an difference in US vs European boot/trunk measurements that i did not know about... so 14cu.ft. in F10 translates to 500l of boot space, which is just good enough for large sedan.

there is some weird difference between euro and us measurements... for instance there is 8% difference between e-class and f10. But in US, it is double, even though I am sure trunks are exactly the same as in europe.

so maybe us ratings require it being more practical or something, have no idea :-)

edit: i looked at trunks of both, and yeah, E-class has very usable space, while BMW in Europe probably counts little cubbies on the sides where you cant really put large items in.

So I would consider 14cu.ft. good enough for Lexus but hope for practical trunk...

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)