GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-11, 06:18 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by J.P.
I keep begging for it but doubt it will happen. I would take a detuned, 450hp, 8000rpm v10 in a heart beat..... not even the same engine as the lfa, just trickle down some of that tech to a lower cost v10...
Excellent idea, I would buy one too. Just like the S6 had a detuned version of the Gallardo's V10. It will remain a dream though. I think the LS can have the 5.0L V12 from the Century also

Originally Posted by J.P.
but you look at what audi did with the S6 and looking at the v10 M5, they did not last long so either it kills profit or the market did not want to support the v10.....
Both the M5 and S6 failed for various reasons not relating to their V10, both of those motor are fabulous.

M5 was the Bangle styling that few people like and the SMG was an epic failed.

S6, I think 450 hp is too low from a 5.2L V10, the car is too expensive and not enough content.
Old 07-20-11, 06:34 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
no sane person should ever do that. s4/5 has always been against 335, s6 has always been against the 550. m3 and m5 would crush those
I have seen quite a few magazine comparo, online website comparo pitting the S4 against the C63 and M3, it always make me so mad because it is so wrong. I understand their reason, they do it when the RS4 is not offer in the U.S., so they just take the highest S4 to represent Audi. I think it is wrong, just leave Audi out of it then. If Audi don't want to play, then leave them out!

it could be all marketing, "s-line" does sound better than say another a4/a5/a6. but it's way too confusing and i don't think that's necessary. that kind of diminish the value of the rs line.
I have a theory why, is because Audi is always much more expensive then their competitors, like how the S4 is the same price as the M3 and RS4 is way out there. The RS6 is $160k+ for god's sake! When the M5 and E63 are both around $100k. So few people buy the RS models in the U.S. and they just have the S model. Then everyone think the S model is the performance model when the RS don't exist here and the S cost the same as the M and AMG. It does diminish the value of the RS line but Audi rarely want to sell the RS line in the U.S. anyway, so they probably don't care.

for lexus, i would rather have to deal with just the f-line.
Me too.

f-sport parts as packages to the "normal" lineup that's fine though, and i like that idea
I don't like that idea personally, I think it dilute the performance models. The F should just go on the F model, and the regular model should just have a sport package. Like I hate the current Corvette line, where you can buy a Grand Sport that is almost a Z06 and they look identical. Then there is a carbon package Z06 that is almost a ZR1. I like models to be much more distinctive where you can tell what model it is from miles away, like how they originally had it, a narrow body Vette, wide body Z06 and crazy ZR1. Now they all look the same The same with a 335i M-Sport that almost looks like a M3, thank god they didn't put the M3's wider fender on it, I would go crazy.

But everyone has it (AMG package, M-Sport, S-line), so Lexus gonna have it.
Old 07-20-11, 06:35 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just can't see Lexus getting 500hp unless they go F/I......As we can see all the Germans are F/I now, the Panamera Turbo is F/I etc etc. Jaguar...

Thats what makes the 911 4.0 RS amazing, 500hp from a 4.0 flat 6!
Old 07-20-11, 07:38 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

I hope the GSh specs are good!
Old 07-20-11, 10:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike@Vossen
I just can't see Lexus getting 500hp unless they go F/I......As we can see all the Germans are F/I now, the Panamera Turbo is F/I etc etc. Jaguar...

Thats what makes the 911 4.0 RS amazing, 500hp from a 4.0 flat 6!
forget about porsche, they are in the extreme

i actually don't mind seeing FI in lexus for the f line
Old 07-21-11, 01:11 AM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Does anyone else wish those flush door handles stay for the production version? You just push it in and there's a slot in the bottom to grab onto. It's quite pretty and ingenious.

Maybe we'll see it on the next generation LS.

Last edited by mordecai; 07-21-11 at 01:14 AM.
Old 07-21-11, 05:45 AM
rocks
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By the same token, forget about BMW, this company has gone soft and as such they have lost their true essence. Therefore, lexus needs to do their own thing, no need to compete with the M5 which isn't a true M car anyway. Turbos do not belong in an M car, nor does SUV's deserves an M badge. BMW M division is a failure, the day I sell my E46 will be my final encounter with this brand.
Old 07-21-11, 06:12 AM
rocks
Driver

Yet Lexus is making cars getting better MPG's without the use of turbos...It's cheaper to build the turbo motors yet they cost more than their NA counterpart. Take the F10 M5 VS the E60 M5, how can you justify why it would cost more than the E60 M5...I have been a hardcore BMW fanatic for the longest while so it saddens me to see the company go down this path...Never in a lifetime would I envision considering a Lexus; however, the time has come and I'm slowly becoming a convert....ISF is now as good as an M3 if not better overall, heck the only disadvantage is the lack of a manual but then it offers superb gas mileage...It's truly pathetic when a Jeep SRT8 is a better performer than an X5M and then you ask yourself why....so yes the M division is a failure...the days of the ultimate driving machines are over...There really is no compelling reason to buy any future M car over any of the other competitors in this segment...
Old 07-21-11, 06:27 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike@Vossen
Don't forget about that rumor from a while back, I think started by someone who worked at a test track, that Toyota's F1 team was working with Yamaha on a TT V8 for Lexus. If I recall, as an employee of the facility, the guy was there watching all the testing happen and mentioned that they finally finished that phase and moved elsewhere.

Last edited by MPLexus301; 07-21-11 at 06:31 AM.
Old 07-21-11, 06:30 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AutoUnion
Honestly, I hope Lexus has at least even 1 FI engine in the new GS, not just the F. I saw this because both Audi and BMW have gone completely FI and Mercedes' upper end V8 is FI and all of these cars are putting out some ridiculous power numbers. For example, the Audi A6 3.0T is putting out numbers close to those of the 550i and completely trouncing the 535i, which is crazy. Some people might look at pure 0-60 times, etc and notice how the Germans are much faster.

Anyways, anyone know how light the new GS is going to be? The F10 5er is not the handler it used to be. That crown is now owned by the Audi A6. If Lexus doesn't go FI, then hopefully this car will be light enough so it matches performance numbers of the Germans.
For what it's worth, the A6 3.0T is really no faster than the N/A GS350. I am not trash talking forced induction since there is more than one way to get big power from an engine, but don't count naturally aspirated engines or Lexus out just yet. The 2GR-FSE, IMO, is still the best 6 cylinder engine in this segment and the smoothness, refinement, power numbers, performance and gas mileage all speak well to that notion. With the horsepower war becoming more and more of an arms race, I'd be surprised if Lexus didn't go FI at some point here soon, but if they continue to engineer naturally aspirated engines that can meet and beat the competition in key performance areas, then I am completely for it
Old 07-21-11, 06:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,438 Likes on 1,598 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoUnion
Honestly, I hope Lexus has at least even 1 FI engine in the new GS, not just the F
i'd put the chances of that about the same as tiger woods re-marrying his ex-wife.
Old 07-21-11, 06:38 AM
lostnspace
Rookie

Originally Posted by mordecai
Does anyone else wish those flush door handles stay for the production version? You just push it in and there's a slot in the bottom to grab onto. It's quite pretty and ingenious.

Maybe we'll see it on the next generation LS.
I would definitely like to see that in the production version. The less stuff protruding out...the sleeker the car looks.
Old 07-21-11, 07:13 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Don't forget about that rumor from a while back, I think started by someone who worked at a test track, that Toyota's F1 team was working with Yamaha on a TT V8 for Lexus. If I recall, as an employee of the facility, the guy was there watching all the testing happen and mentioned that they finally finished that phase and moved elsewhere.
I don't recall hearing that. Any links? Quite interesting that rumor though, seeing as some pics turned up recently with a tuned LS at Toyota's Motorsport facility in Germany, with a spec sheet touting a 5.0L engine and 650hp.

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
For what it's worth, the A6 3.0T is really no faster than the N/A GS350. I am not trash talking forced induction since there is more than one way to get big power from an engine, but don't count naturally aspirated engines or Lexus out just yet. The 2GR-FSE, IMO, is still the best 6 cylinder engine in this segment and the smoothness, refinement, power numbers, performance and gas mileage all speak well to that notion. With the horsepower war becoming more and more of an arms race, I'd be surprised if Lexus didn't go FI at some point here soon, but if they continue to engineer naturally aspirated engines that can meet and beat the competition in key performance areas, then I am completely for it
Agreed.
Old 07-21-11, 09:09 AM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

The "hook" door handles serve a good purpose, led by Saab a long time ago. It allows emergency crews to pull open the door instead of cutting.
Old 07-21-11, 09:52 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6529985-post1099.html

don't want to repost everything (big post), so i just do the link

Looks like this "test mule" is still running around with an un-finalized rear bumper..
The muffler has turn down exits..

The exhaust tips / diffusers should look pretty close to the concept LF-Gh version.

I can't see Lexus still utilizing the slip-on Chrome Tips for MY 2013..

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 07-21-11 at 10:00 AM.

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)