GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-11 | 06:36 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Interesting to hear what all the Genesis fans here has to say about the new GS
Old 07-26-11 | 07:14 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Gotta love Automobile. Lexus is damned if they do and damned if they don't.

The comment about the supercar, and then "...and we all know how that turned out," uh...what does that mean?
Old 07-26-11 | 07:29 AM
MelYW
Pole Position

I wonder how much the "Lexus Dynamic Handling System" option will cost. This will determine what % of drivers actually have access to this upgraded ride/feel.

Without this, will it feel just like what we have today....slight enhancement?

How will AWD change the feel of the LDHS?

Competing in this class has got to be tough. Would like to see the data but it seems the 5 Series dominates. Three questions remain:

A. Will this keep and/or reinvigorate Lexus' base?
B. For those on the fence and are open to BMW or Lexus, will this push them Lexus way?
C. For the BMW enthusiasts, will this give them a reason to second guess their loyalty?

My thoughts:

A. Possible
B. Might steal more from Infiniti or Acura before BMW.
C. NO. Why go with a copy cat when you can get the real deal? Seems as if this group places a higher importance weight on style, brand, and performance than reliability (I think Lexus' lone differentiator).
Old 07-26-11 | 08:30 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
I hope the GS crushes the competition especially from Germany. Does that help?
Old 07-26-11 | 08:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Gotta love Automobile. Lexus is damned if they do and damned if they don't.

The comment about the supercar, and then "...and we all know how that turned out," uh...what does that mean?
not saying i agree with that article, but sales of lfa definitely hasn't been what lexus first claimed because of the choices they made. but i think that's a moot point already since it's so long ago. and i think it's stupid to apply what they did to a supercar to a mass production vehicle, totally different strategy
Old 07-26-11 | 09:36 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Arrow

Originally Posted by SRTGS300
Is that the Hybrid model? Look at the left gauge.
Yes, as stated earlier..

Europe seems to be showing 3 working Test Mules of the prototype 2013 GS's.

1st - is indeed a GS450 h, with some different interior details and 3 projector hybrid headlights for sure
Running on 19" wheels & tires and different grills. (F-Sport Pkg)
It also seems to share the "Glowing Red Gauge Light" when Sport Drive Mode is selected.
Might as well include that it has the same dark blue "Power Button" for the engine start/stop.

Just like the current CT200 h

2013 GS 450h Prototype in Europe - F-Sport

2011 CT 200 h - Gauges & Power Button (RHD shown below)

2nd - looks to be another GS Hybrid with again different interior details and different wheels. (base model)

3rd - could be another GS250 or maybe GS Diesel.

There is only one pic showing 3 covered test mules.. Only two are visible with different wheels.

USA - is only showing two working test mules at the moment.

1st - is a Basic GS350

2nd - is a GS350 with what will be a factory built / upgraded F-Sport package*

(*Which is NOT the same or even related to the USA F-Sport accessory parts program for the current IS & GS Models, distributed by TRD)

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 07-29-11 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-26-11 | 10:01 AM
rocks
Driver

Originally Posted by MelYW
I wonder how much the "Lexus Dynamic Handling System" option will cost. This will determine what % of drivers actually have access to this upgraded ride/feel.

Without this, will it feel just like what we have today....slight enhancement?

How will AWD change the feel of the LDHS?

Competing in this class has got to be tough. Would like to see the data but it seems the 5 Series dominates. Three questions remain:

B. For those on the fence and are open to BMW or Lexus, will this push them Lexus way?
C. For the BMW enthusiasts, will this give them a reason to second guess their loyalty?

My thoughts:

A. Possible
C. NO. Why go with a copy cat when you can get the real deal? Seems as if this group places a higher importance weight on style, brand, and performance than reliability (I think Lexus' lone differentiator).

I can't speak for all but as a long time BMW enthusiast, I am ecstatic about this car (ie GS-F if they make it or GS-F Sport) and as such it is very high on my priority list. It seems much more exciting than an F10 since it is more improved than its predecessor. The F10 improve in aesthetics over the E60 but actually degrades in handling capability. Lexus somehow managed to improve both aspects which is phenomenal. I don't think this Lexus will cause a great exodus of BMW loyalists to sway because the majority I know would never consider anything else kinda like how the Lexus guys are here. Consequently, both camps are guilty of speculating why someone would commit to either brand which I find hilarious.
BMW does have an advantage though since its been around longer thus have a larger fan base and probably always will. So just like how some people here would never consider a BMW no matter how great it is, the same holds true for BMW enthusiasts. This is phenomenal when you realize that Lexus most notable advantage is reliability and probably the single most important criterion for people who are contemplating this brand. BMW on the other hand is below Lexus in reliability yet still manages to sustain a larger fan base. Just goes to show that not everybody wants or have the same priorities as you in an automobile.
Old 07-26-11 | 10:05 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Yes, as stated earlier..

Europe seems to be showing 3 working Test Mules of the prototype 2013 GS.

1st - is indeed a GS450 h, with some different interior details and 3 projector hybrid headlights for sure
Running on 19" wheels & tires and different grills.
It also seems to share the "Glowing Red Guage Light" when a Sportd rive mode is selected. Might as well include that it has a dark blueish "Power" button for the engine start/stop.
Like the current CT200 h

CT200 h - Gauges (RHD shown below)

USA - is only showing two working test mules at the moment.

1st - is a Basic GS350

2nd - is a GS350 with what will be a factory built / upgraded F-Sport package*

(*Which is NOT the same or even related to the USA F-Sport accessory parts program for the current IS & GS Models, distributed by TRD)

~ Joe Z
Thanks for the correction.
Old 07-26-11 | 10:06 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

I think Style is debatable, as BMW cars have been de-evolving into ugly on wheels in the last few generations. Performance, arguable again, because on Paper, since the GS pretty much started the HP arms race, Lexus' cars have always been comparable performance wise on paper. The dynamic feel is the differentiating factor, and Lexus in most cases has done it better than Mercedes had for decades. BMW was the clear leader in this aspect. Lexus has reliability and quality, and it would be hard to argue that when it comes to coddling it's occupants, Lexus cars that were designed to do so are at the top of their respective classes. So in effect, it has nothing to do with "copy cats" (Hi, Lexus called, they want their premium leather, 8 speed transmissions and hybrid drives back ), but rather the badge on the hood. So when it comes down to it, I think Lexus could possibly win over real enthusiasts, but you are somewhat right, they might not be able to get the BRAND enthusiasts... for now anyway.
Old 07-26-11 | 10:22 AM
Alucard
Pole Position

I wonder what the final exterior color choices will be.

I hope there is a new and improved green!
Old 07-26-11 | 10:23 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

My thoughts:

A. Possible
i think what lexus did here will help to grab back the hearts of some driving enthusiasts. that's important because this is a sports sedan, and for the longest time lexus has been criticized for not having enough sporty feel in the gs (and arguably so). whether those people would be from acura/infiniti or bmw, that's hard to say. first of all acura, honestly if i were to consider the gs, the tl/rl wouldn't even be on my radar period. the infiniti m, very possible.

for bmw, i think it really depends on which "groups" you are talking about. there are a big group who love driving and want something fun, however they aren't fan of bmw potential reliability problem. i consider myself on that list. for those, the 4gs, if it's as good as the reviews claim, will be great alternative and i think that group will consider the 4gs.

another group of bmw owners are what we called pure fanboys and they want nothing but bmw. not even mb will get a blink from them. those are hopeless and you can make the 4gs like lfa and they will still say it's just a lexus.

i can't agree on the copy cat comment. what's to copy here? i mean, when we are in the sports sedan segment, the goals are simple: sporty, fun to drive, fast. if achieving those goals mean "copy cat", then i think all cars out there are just copying each other one way or another.

Last edited by rominl; 07-26-11 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-26-11 | 10:29 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
i think what lexus did here will help to grab back the hearts of some driving enthusiasts. that's important because this is a sports sedan, and for the longest time lexus has been criticized for not having enough sporty feel in the gs (and arguably so). whether those people would be from acura/infiniti or bmw, that's hard to say. first of all acura, honestly if i were to consider the gs, the tl/rl wouldn't even be on my radar period. the infiniti m, very possible.

for bmw, i think it really depends on which "group" you are talking about. there are a big group who loves driving and want something fun, however they aren't fan of bmw potential reliability problem. i consider myself on that list. for those, the 4gs, if it's as good as the reviews claim, will be great alternatives and i think that group will consider the 4gs.

another group of bmw owners are what we called pure fanboys and they want nothing but bmw. not even mb will get a blink from them. those are hopeless and you can make the 4gs like lfa and they will still say it's just a lexus.

i can't agree on the copy cat comment. what's to copy here? i mean, when we are in the sports sedan segment, the goal is simple, sporty, fun to drive, fast. if achieving those goals mean "copy cat", then i think all cars out there are just copying each other one way or another.

Well put.

Last edited by rominl; 07-26-11 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-26-11 | 11:05 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by AutoUnion
AutoMobile is correct though. Lexus has been going down the wrong path and now is turning it around.

It's been wasting time these past couple years with no new notable product (ignoring the LFA since a normal Lexus can't buyer can't afford to drop that coin on it)
They are not correct, that is their opinion. Lexus has been #1 in sales for 11 years here, it took some recalls, old product and an EARTHQUAKE to knock them off that perch. Sales are up 41% in Europe this year.

I mean its it ironic that Lexus has a car that Audi/BMW/Benz cannot beat or at least matches in the LFA? At least Audi/Benz compete, BMW has NOTHING in that realm. It goes both sides. Lets not only select negative things.

Originally Posted by AutoUnion
Nope. Doubt it. Just as the Lexus bunch are quite hardcore, the German bunch is just as much. BMW knows their new electric steering blows, and I doubt they're going to let their customers down when its due to be fixed.

It's absolutely hilarious how much Lexus seems to have benchmarked BMW because all these years Lexus spent all this time saying they were different, but I guess they realized its either copy or die.

However, the F10 seems to be a step forward in interiors, design, but a step back in dynamics. Let's see what BMW has instore for the LCI
The facts are people LEASE BMWs they don't buy them. Then they don't drive them hard. Most are not sport equipped and not driven anywhere but to work and the mall. So lets stop acting like BMW buyers are a bunch of people that knows what country Le Mans is held. BMW figured this out as they continue to get softer, bigger, heavier and have pretty much raped the "M" brand for sales.

What about the hilarity that BMW came out with the car based SUV after Lexus? That BMW came with hybrids after Lexus? Lets not go there. Both brands copy and both lead in different areas.

This is not some thread to hold a BMW/Lexus or German/Japan pissing match. In 2011/2012 they all build incredible vehicles. This could not be said ten years ago when Audi was a complete joke and afterthought in America.

Originally Posted by rocks
I can't speak for all but as a long time BMW enthusiast, I am ecstatic about this car (ie GS-F if they make it or GS-F Sport) and as such it is very high on my priority list. It seems much more exciting than an F10 since it is more improved than its predecessor. The F10 improve in aesthetics over the E60 but actually degrades in handling capability. Lexus somehow managed to improve both aspects which is phenomenal. I don't think this Lexus will cause a great exodus of BMW loyalists to sway because the majority I know would never consider anything else kinda like how the Lexus guys are here. Consequently, both camps are guilty of speculating why someone would commit to either brand which I find hilarious.
BMW does have an advantage though since its been around longer thus have a larger fan base and probably always will. So just like how some people here would never consider a BMW no matter how great it is, the same holds true for BMW enthusiasts. This is phenomenal when you realize that Lexus most notable advantage is reliability and probably the single most important criterion for people who are contemplating this brand. BMW on the other hand is below Lexus in reliability yet still manages to sustain a larger fan base. Just goes to show that not everybody wants or have the same priorities as you in an automobile.
Great post. A lot of us said if Lexus can really get sportier or offer a better driving experience while keeping Lexus qualities, they can have an incredible lineup. This is what we are seeing.

Originally Posted by rominl

for bmw, i think it really depends on which "groups" you are talking about. there are a big group who love driving and want something fun, however they aren't fan of bmw potential reliability problem. i consider myself on that list. for those, the 4gs, if it's as good as the reviews claim, will be great alternative and i think that group will consider the 4gs.

i can't agree on the copy cat comment. what's to copy here? i mean, when we are in the sports sedan segment, the goals are simple: sporty, fun to drive, fast. if achieving those goals mean "copy cat", then i think all cars out there are just copying each other one way or another.
Great post.
Old 07-26-11 | 11:21 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
I am a big Genesis fan because they offer excellent value, this is my opinion.

Genesis sedan has been and probably will always be a lower cost alternative to the Lexus GS, it is way cheaper but offer less refinements, features and images.

Let's see: Genesis 3.8 330 hp $38k, 4.6 385 hp $43k, R-spec 429 hp $47k

GS350 305 hp $50k, GS460 342 hp ~$62k, GS-F ~465hp ~$75k

Again, the Genesis is way cheaper BUT it is a slightly lesser car in every ways

Genesis would be my choice if I am tight on money, if money is not an issue, no way I am buying a Genesis over a GS.

But then you can buy an Equus for the price of a V8 GS, that would be a whole different consideration, depends on what size car you want I guess.

Last edited by BNR34; 07-26-11 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-26-11 | 11:30 AM
mordecai
Lead Lap

GS350 seats: different color backs? Also, different stitching patterns in driver and passenger seats.

GS450h seats: leather wraps all the way around?

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)