GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-11, 11:44 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by mordecai

GS350 seats: different color backs? Also, different stitching patterns in driver and passenger seats.

GS450h seats: leather wraps all the way around?

Consider the rolling test mules in US & Europe as NON-Finalized prototypes.

Joe Z
Old 07-26-11, 12:45 PM
Iqraam
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/automo...tion-news.html

Take a look at this, not sure if its a repost as there is 100+ pages but just in case it is, sorry.
Old 07-26-11, 12:50 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
They are not correct, that is their opinion. Lexus has been #1 in sales for 11 years here, it took some recalls, old product and an EARTHQUAKE to knock them off that perch. Sales are up 41% in Europe this year.
I have to agree with him there. I think with the current crop of vehicles Lexus lost its sheen a bit. These cars were less stellar compared to the competition than their predecessors. Sales have also been sliding for a while, not just from the earthquake.

For example both the LS and GS came out and sold very well in their first year. After that it was a steady but consistent sales decline, some years significantly so, up until today.

The Lexus philosophy from the start seemed to have been about beating the German competition in all measurable areas (acceleration, handling, quietness, interior room, content) combined with top of the class reliability, materials and build quality all at a lower price. I think they began to ignore this a bit with the current crop of cars, which while good are not noticeably superior to the competition. Throw in sterile expressionless design and the cars lose out big time on the desirability factor, leaving only quality as a the real attraction in segments where people largely lease and ditch when the warranty is up anyway.

Will this new GS turn that around? We have to wait and see. But it seems like they've returned to that philosophy more so with this car than any of the cars in the lineup today. If this car will out handle, out accelerate, and out quiet the Germans while offering a more premium interior inside, more reliable mechanics under the skin, and have it all screwed together with the tightest panel gaps/tolerances in the segment remains to be seen. But that's what it will take or I suspect the decline will continue.
Old 07-26-11, 01:40 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
I have to agree with him there. I think with the current crop of vehicles Lexus lost its sheen a bit. These cars were less stellar compared to the competition than their predecessors. Sales have also been sliding for a while, not just from the earthquake.

For example both the LS and GS came out and sold very well in their first year. After that it was a steady but consistent sales decline, some years significantly so, up until today.

The Lexus philosophy from the start seemed to have been about beating the German competition in all measurable areas (acceleration, handling, quietness, interior room, content) combined with top of the class reliability, materials and build quality all at a lower price. I think they began to ignore this a bit with the current crop of cars, which while good are not noticeably superior to the competition. Throw in sterile expressionless design and the cars lose out big time on the desirability factor, leaving only quality as a the real attraction in segments where people largely lease and ditch when the warranty is up anyway.

Will this new GS turn that around? We have to wait and see. But it seems like they've returned to that philosophy more so with this car than any of the cars in the lineup today. If this car will out handle, out accelerate, and out quiet the Germans while offering a more premium interior inside, more reliable mechanics under the skin, and have it all screwed together with the tightest panel gaps/tolerances in the segment remains to be seen. But that's what it will take or I suspect the decline will continue.
You are spot on, 100% agreed

Lexus's quality and design engineering in general have declined with the current generation, all models came out after 2006 are not outstanding like the previous generations.

And while Lexus is sliding down, all other competitions had improved significantly, all the latest MB, BMW, Audi, Jaguar and even Lincoln and Cadillac products are much better then the previous generations. Not to mention the very impressive effort from Hyundai with the Genesis sedan and Equus that offer tremendous value.

Lexus is being challenge from both directions, they are losing market share and they can feel the pressure.
Old 07-26-11, 01:55 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do current GS owners think of the new interior as compared with the GS you are driving now? While I see this car taking a definite swing at BMW sportiness the interior lacks the inviting warmth of the current GS.

To their magnificent credit Lexus is making the clear statement that this is a performance machine.
Old 07-26-11, 02:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
What do current GS owners think of the new interior as compared with the GS you are driving now? While I see this car taking a definite swing at BMW sportiness the interior lacks the inviting warmth of the current GS.

To their magnificent credit Lexus is making the clear statement that this is a performance machine.
i never think the bmw interior style design is bad. in fact i see quite a few good things about it. so with that said i am pretty ok with the 4gs interior. i don't like the analog clock (if that is) and also the radio / climate control face, looks a bit out of place and too vertical. position of cup holders also questionable. i like the dash, elegant and clear, i am glad they moved away from 2gs/3gs design. steering wheel is ok. love the location of the nav and the size of screen. i am not sure about the seats yet, they look ok but i was hoping for a bit more "volume"
Old 07-26-11, 02:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

spwolf, 2nd official warning, exit the thread
Old 07-26-11, 03:15 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Wood

I think that once the tape is uncovered & the wood shows, the car will look more warm - unless that tape is covering metal accents.

So far, I prefer the 3gs interior ... it has subtle design ques that I like, including the dropdown button box that a lot of people seem not be fond of.
Old 07-26-11, 03:40 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by GS69
I think that once the tape is uncovered & the wood shows, the car will look more warm - unless that tape is covering metal accents.

So far, I prefer the 3gs interior ... it has subtle design ques that I like, including the dropdown button box that a lot of people seem not be fond of.

You mean like this ???

2013 GS 450h Prototype in Europe with F-Sport upgrade

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 07-29-11 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-26-11, 03:57 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never had an issue with the design of Lexus interiors and I much like the 3GS interior. The issue was the switch to a harder plastic, which has aged magnificently over 7/8 years, it still looks fresh. It was more prone to rattles though and felt less high in quality than other models.

I love the sweeping wood, doors and the minimilistic interior in regards to a bunch of random colors and hues or squiggly lines or hard edges all over the place. I like the titanium gauges.

As I stated before, I am worried that this is a dramatic departure to something more Euro influenced with Japanese touches. No other Lexus interior has looked so Euro, not even the CT. It might worry Lexus purists but I don't think most anyone will care, they will see "OMG 12" screen" and buy it.

To me, I wish they would have went with a RX interior for the GS. That is a one of a kind interior that is only in a Lexus and can't be confused with anything else.

Old 07-26-11, 04:04 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never had an issue with the recent lexus interiors, gs\ls etc all seemed very plush and pleasing to the eye.

Will wait to see what the finish product looks like but not sure I am sold on the euro look.
Old 07-26-11, 04:15 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mike@vossen
i never had an issue with the design of lexus interiors and i much like the 3gs interior. The issue was the switch to a harder plastic, which has aged magnificently over 7/8 years, it still looks fresh. It was more prone to rattles though and felt less high in quality than other models.

I love the sweeping wood, doors and the minimilistic interior in regards to a bunch of random colors and hues or squiggly lines or hard edges all over the place. I like the titanium gauges.

As i stated before, i am worried that this is a dramatic departure to something more euro influenced with japanese touches. No other lexus interior has looked so euro, not even the ct. It might worry lexus purists but i don't think most anyone will care, they will see "omg 12" screen" and buy it.

to me, i wish they would have went with a rx interior for the gs. That is a one of a kind interior that is only in a lexus and can't be confused with anything else.

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)-2012-bmw-6-series-coupe.jpg
Old 07-26-11, 04:35 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can see the Lexus influence on the BMW, it's not Lexus copying the BMW, it's the opposite. Look at the little 'swoosh' from the right flowing downward-left. That's RX before the new BMW 6. Toyota has had that design element for it's cars for this generation. The main difference is that it flows further down and connects and has a different color to it. While the RX may not look as 'new' or as 'flashy' it IMO looks like a better flow. The dash looks like it belongs together, but the 6 series has a gap between the screen and the guage cluster. It doesn't 'flow' as well as the RX interior. The material looks better though in the 6. But in the new GS I think it's even a step above in finish and luxury 'feel'.
Old 07-26-11, 04:39 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
You mean like this ???

2013 GS 450h Prototype in Europe

Joe Z
Not really. Those are either basic trim inserts or they are just replacement panels for the prototype so they don't have to mask it.

Old 07-26-11, 05:11 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Vladi
Not really. Those are either basic trim inserts or they are just replacement panels for the prototype so they don't have to mask it.

^^ The "red interior" your posting is the LF-Gh concept interior...

The Eurospec GS450 h is showing off a lot more uncovered interior..
Yes, there is tape, but it is minimal... Clock, steering wheel, dash & upper door panels..

The US mules have a ton more tape... !!!

Basic GS 350 interior - USA Prototype

GS 350 inteior with F-Sport Pkg - USA Prototype

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 07-26-11 at 05:16 PM.

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)