GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-11, 11:25 PM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
How is it remotely ergonomic to have the armrest so high but the drive select **** is in such an awkward place?
I'm guessing the armrest might slide backwards to help with the ergonomics.
Old 07-27-11, 02:36 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Whats up with the ugly seat design??? 3GS seats look far better even.
Seats are more or less the same as 3GS design wise. I do like chrome accent on current seats but these new seats feature driver oriented seating position, are far more supporting and ... and finally more adjustable than forever standard 10way setup. They finally came to their senses when it comes to seats 101 in luxury cars that are not flagships.

Overall not too pleased that Lexus ripped off the 5 series interior. IMO the 5 Series is still nicer inside because its more driver focused (dash tilted to driver's side), has way better seats, and offers more options. I will miss the unique gauges used by Lexus in the 2GS and 3GS.
We don't know what options will have new GS have so there is no comparison. What if it turns out that GS has far better seating position than new 5? And from pictures it looks like it. Tilted dashes are something that I will not go into because I believe that only driver's instruments should be tilted to the driver and not the whole console that features adjustments for the passenger as well.

Don't worry about the gauges they will look fine, from what we read they probably use some gimmick effect like on 2GS/3GS but we can't see that on pictures yet. And I will go to say that 2GS/3GS gauges were cool but they were unrefined. 3GS maybe has the finest gauge effect I've ever seen on any car, just to be ruined by wrong font selection, thick lines and lack of details. 4GS are the finest gauges ever fitted on a GS.

Kind of surprised that lots of people on the forum seem to be OK with Lexus using the old V6 engine and a dated 6 Speed Auto. This is the same BS that happened with 3GS intro. I'm not quite sure how Lexus expects to get respected for having a legitimate sport sedan with Zero improvements to the powertrain and no V8 option?????
The V8s do sell at least in NYC......I see plenty of 550i, E63s(more than E550), and Panameras etc. So that excuse is complete garbage. Plus Lexus still needs a V8 for the LS, so why not spread the cost and put one in the GS also.
Yes its the same as 3GS launch but at the same time its really not. Back then it was a different time. From my perspective 3.5 is still one of the best top tier NA sixes on the marked, it's still competitive and it's more than enough when it comes to performance. I think we are close to reaching the peak when it comes to a performance demands from V6 trims, now it's efficiency's time to shine. I would really want them to squeeze out at least 4MPG more in a city than increase 0-60 time. We will have to wait for final EPA numbers to see if 3.5 is a disappointment or not. 6 speed is something that will probably change within a model year or two once GS is released, there is no excuse for it to be a part of the car.

To tell you the truth I would rather get GS250 than GS350 if they could be comparably equipped and if 2.5 offers 15% greater fuel economy for a 20% performance sacrifice.

Last edited by Vladi; 07-27-11 at 02:40 AM.
Old 07-27-11, 05:14 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post Hope that This Isn't a RePost

Lexus has already handed out engineering samples of the 2012/2013 Lexus GS 350 to select portions of the automotive press, we've spied it on several occasions, and we know it's coming to Pebble Beach in just under a month's time. But now Lexus of Europe has joined in the pre-party with driving footage of a disguised GS.

The video is a brief minute-and-a-half of soundless cruising over mostly wet roads, revealing almost nothing new, but it at least gives some idea as to the car's demeanor in action. It also gives us a decent look at the front and rear lighting, though it's veiled in a sheet of plastic. It looks like the LF-Gh-inspired bodywork is staying largely intact, just as we expected.

At any rate, catch the video below, and catch up on more of the upcoming GS's specs and features here.

Old 07-27-11, 07:22 AM
MelYW
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
i think what lexus did here will help to grab back the hearts of some driving enthusiasts. that's important because this is a sports sedan, and for the longest time lexus has been criticized for not having enough sporty feel in the gs (and arguably so). whether those people would be from acura/infiniti or bmw, that's hard to say. first of all acura, honestly if i were to consider the gs, the tl/rl wouldn't even be on my radar period. the infiniti m, very possible.

for bmw, i think it really depends on which "groups" you are talking about. there are a big group who love driving and want something fun, however they aren't fan of bmw potential reliability problem. i consider myself on that list. for those, the 4gs, if it's as good as the reviews claim, will be great alternative and i think that group will consider the 4gs.

another group of bmw owners are what we called pure fanboys and they want nothing but bmw. not even mb will get a blink from them. those are hopeless and you can make the 4gs like lfa and they will still say it's just a lexus.

i can't agree on the copy cat comment. what's to copy here? i mean, when we are in the sports sedan segment, the goals are simple: sporty, fun to drive, fast. if achieving those goals mean "copy cat", then i think all cars out there are just copying each other one way or another.
Good thoughts...in terms of copy cat...I look at this new interior (at least what is unmasked) and cant think anything else but BMW. Instrument cluster, center console, TV screen, and circular **** near the stickshift.

Cars are an extension of our personality. If I wanted BMW, I would have bought BMW. Qualitative features are where you differentiate yourself. Performance features are (mostly) quantitive and are either met or not met. (Yes I know how a car "feels" on the road can be qualitative...that is why I say MOSTLY)

Performance features are expected to be copied...when you copy/rip off the personality, you start to lose the soul/self identity....and as BMW has proven, (a differentiated) identity is hugely critical in this segment.
Old 07-27-11, 07:51 AM
Alucard
Pole Position

I know I'm very much in the minority here, but I would prefer Lexus to stay the luxury route and not follow the performance path ala BMW.

I'd prefer Lexus to always be the standard bearer for luxury and quality. Impressive performance numbers should come secondary, but can still wow in their own way (like how the 2nd gen LS could hang with a Porsche Boxster).
Old 07-27-11, 08:00 AM
@lpher
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf

The left and right seats look different....
Old 07-27-11, 08:08 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by @lpher
The left and right seats look different....
That would be the adjustable lumbar support for the drivers seat.
Old 07-27-11, 08:21 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

If the interior of the production model is going to look like BMW + Lexus. If it is going to drive like a BMW and be reliable like Lexus, then I'm sorry, but I do not see anything wrong with that equation
Old 07-27-11, 08:23 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexuslvr91
That would be the adjustable lumbar support for the drivers seat.
Also thigh support extension of the bottom leading edge of the seat. I also wonder about that F sport version driver's seat having adjustable side bolsters too as I think that was mentioned.
Old 07-27-11, 08:24 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Alucard
I know I'm very much in the minority here, but I would prefer Lexus to stay the luxury route and not follow the performance path ala BMW.

I'd prefer Lexus to always be the standard bearer for luxury and quality. Impressive performance numbers should come secondary, but can still wow in their own way (like how the 2nd gen LS could hang with a Porsche Boxster).
Really ?

The GS has a similar size ES to satisfy luxury(ride I assume) and quality needs, the new GS NEEDS to be very sporty to differentiate itself enough from the ES.
Old 07-27-11, 08:25 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Not sure if the 3GS addressed the issue, probably did in the IS F, but I hope the seats have more lateral support.

Originally Posted by MelYW
Cars are an extension of our personality. If I wanted BMW, I would have bought BMW.
I know huh

If I wanted a bmw, I should get a bmw also and not the S class which is a bmw wannabe also.
Talk about no innovation right?

Old 07-27-11, 08:36 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree but believe Lexus can make a car that is both luxurious and provides sporting fun on demand.

Besides, we have the ES and LS for pure luxury. The GS can be sporty to satisfy the sport sedan crowd.
Old 07-27-11, 08:37 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

You guys are missing the point here. All the car makers are placing the navi screen at the top today, and by doing so they are forced to move the vents down. You'll have to get used to the fact that all new interiors will look like BMW It's the industry standard now. Having the nav screen in the middle is so 90's. If Lexus wanted to get creative and maybe unique they would have placed the nav screen in *cough* glove compartment, but that would not be too useful I bet....
Old 07-27-11, 08:41 AM
Alucard
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Really ?

The GS has a similar size ES to satisfy luxury(ride I assume) and quality needs, the new GS NEEDS to be very sporty to differentiate itself enough from the ES.
The 2nd gen LS was as fast (or a bit faster) than the 1st gen Porsche Boxster as far as 0-60.
Old 07-27-11, 08:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but is it a split screen? ie: screen showing 2 different data? because it looks like the left side of the screen is showing the navi, and right side of the screen is showing the hybrid regeneration system.

if true, the split screen (imho) is a step up from what we have now in the 3GS.
yes, split screen design just like euros. this can be done because of the wide screen design. it's great because it gives the drivers more information

Originally Posted by RXSF
its just a super wide screen that has the capability of showing two different pages.

I dont think it will have what the S class has which is one screen that shows two different things to the driver and passenger
i know, that would be awesome!!!!!

Originally Posted by Mike@Vossen
This just hit me. The LFA/CT and now GS have these new dashes and they are built with lower seating and a lower center of gravity. I am now thinkng that is part of the method to the new dash design. Notice they seem less tall than the "waterfall" design of past Lexus.

GS69 only in 2006 did Lexus attempt to make hybrids aluminum only. Since then wood is pretty common in them.

I wonder will bamboo be available?
lol i was about to ask, for the hybrid they should do bamboo again!!!

Originally Posted by MelYW
Good thoughts...in terms of copy cat...I look at this new interior (at least what is unmasked) and cant think anything else but BMW. Instrument cluster, center console, TV screen, and circular **** near the stickshift.

Cars are an extension of our personality. If I wanted BMW, I would have bought BMW. Qualitative features are where you differentiate yourself. Performance features are (mostly) quantitive and are either met or not met. (Yes I know how a car "feels" on the road can be qualitative...that is why I say MOSTLY)

Performance features are expected to be copied...when you copy/rip off the personality, you start to lose the soul/self identity....and as BMW has proven, (a differentiated) identity is hugely critical in this segment.
i see your point now. the way i see it, if a design direction is good, it's not a bad thing to copy over. for example lcd dash display, it's good, over the years we see companies moving that direction. use of led lights, etc... same thing.

now on the interior cluster / dash design, yes i absolutely see "bmw", but i think that's because the placement is right. if you fix the screen area and such, then the rest kind of go this way

that's called ES. GS is sport sedan.

2ls hang with boxster? that's kind of hard to believe. but still, ability of the car is one thing, what the car feeds back to the driver that's another. lexus vehicles have all been very capable on handling, but there can be a lot of roll and that takes away confidence from drivers. fact is, most of the time the drivers are the limiting factor in driving, if they feel more comfortable, they feel better to have more fun

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)