GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-11, 10:28 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Aristo8
I'm truly only waiting on the GS F myself, but Lexus is giving no signs whatsoever that there will even be a GS F and to make matters worse they've abolished the V8? If they decided not to release a GS F I would atLEAST like to get a fully loaded GS550?
I've taken the position that the GSF is a few years away and so there is plenty of time to drive something else and come back to the GSF in the next purchase cycle.
Old 07-31-11, 11:26 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Geesh how are you guys jumping to conclusions when the car didnt even release yet? Just wait.
Old 07-31-11, 11:38 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
I'm hoping the GS-F will be in the 70s. Hybrid in the 60s, and since there isnt a V8 GS, a fully loaded GS350 takes V8's spot.
The current GS450h starts at just under $60k, the 550i starts at $60k. The GS cannot be priced higher than the Germans so I expect pricing will remain very similar to the current model.
Old 07-31-11, 09:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,635 Posts

am i the only one who is disappointed if they use the current 3.5 and same 6 speed auto? reminds me of the launching of the 3GS300.

maybe the 3.5 will be retuned or something, but i think an 8 speed auto would have been a big win.
Old 07-31-11, 10:03 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
am i the only one who is disappointed if they use the current 3.5 and same 6 speed auto? reminds me of the launching of the 3GS300.

maybe the 3.5 will be retuned or something, but i think an 8 speed auto would have been a big win.
Perhaps a 8 speed in the near future. They'll probably do what they did in 06.
Old 08-01-11, 08:07 AM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoUnion
But that just screws over the early adopters. Is Lexus really that lazy to give us new power trains when the car comes out?
Or that the new power trains are not ready yet
Old 08-01-11, 08:11 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AutoUnion
But that just screws over the early adopters. Is Lexus really that lazy to give us new power trains when the car comes out?
Yeah maybe what xioix said. I don't see why Lexus wouldn't release a 8 Speed in the future. I highly doubt they're gonna update it after the release but who knows.
Old 08-01-11, 08:32 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

i am with you
Old 08-01-11, 08:35 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SRTGS300
Yeah maybe what xioix said. I don't see why Lexus wouldn't release a 8 Speed in the future. I highly doubt they're gonna update it after the release but who knows.
As the original inventors of the 8-speed gear box, you would think they would have had enough time to calibrate it to the V6 engine by now. They had a head start of at least 2 years over everyone else.
Old 08-01-11, 10:24 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah. That's my main gripe. The 3.5 is perfectly fine, it still has far more left in it, it's only really been around for 1 generation. The lack of an 8 speed is inexcusable though, especially since it's supposed to be lighter than the 6 speed that it replaced in the LS and considering they pioneered it.

Funny though, how everyone thought 8 speeds was too much when it debuted on the LS. The # of gears to me is only a factor for on paper competitiveness. The weight factor is what bugs me... but only slightly, as they seemed to have done an impressive job on that front.
Old 08-01-11, 11:00 AM
LexFather

The Lexus 3.5 V-6 with VVti and DI is still with the BMW best in MPG and acceleration. So why would they change it? The engine is perfectly fine. The V-6 isn't the issue with the GS, it was always the V-8. If you prefer bragging about a peak HP figure, be my guest.

Now the 4.3 carryover into the 2006 model was not a great move b/c it was very old at that point (based off the 1992 4.0) and was no longer leading in MPG or acceleration like the 1998 model. It was a terrible idea to carry it over.

So not all carryover engines/parts are bad. This is an example of carrying over something good.

If anything why is there no applause this is an all new platform and not a modification of an existing one or one that came from the LS or one that shares with 50 other vehicles? Lexus clearly spent some serious coin on the platform, which the IS will likely be spun off of. This should be commended.

This class now
M37-56-FM platform from 370Z to SUVs
A6 platform-FWD with AWD slapped in
5 series-7 series platform based
E-class-own platform (E class coupe uses C class platform)
XF-(not entirely sure)

Looking at that above, the GS platform should win the internet arguments the next few years

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Yeah. That's my main gripe. The 3.5 is perfectly fine, it still has far more left in it, it's only really been around for 1 generation. The lack of an 8 speed is inexcusable though, especially since it's supposed to be lighter than the 6 speed that it replaced in the LS and considering they pioneered it.

Funny though, how everyone thought 8 speeds was too much when it debuted on the LS. The # of gears to me is only a factor for on paper competitiveness. The weight factor is what bugs me... but only slightly, as they seemed to have done an impressive job on that front.
B/C its the Lexus double standard so many hold it too. The same people complaining that the Lexus 8 speed was too much back in 2006/07 are now saying the Lexus GS should have it b/c the Germans finally added their 8 speeds.

Its hilarious to read over Amaretto

It seems the new A6 is now sportiest in class but its AWD only or its FWD. I think the GS has a really good chance to meet/beat the A6. Not everyone wants AWD and surely most don't want to pay above 50 grand for a FWD A6.

Originally Posted by J.P.
If their going to do a half hearted v8 GS like last time then yeah I do not care, let it be a higher powered V6 and do the v8 RIGHT in the GS-F

At this point I am only interested in the GS-F.........

And if they fail, the TT CLS 550 is looking wonderful inside and out
I was 100% only interested in the GS F but these reviews and the interior pics have me curious about the next GSh as well, something I could not say before these reviews/pics.

As for pricing, no way it will be 70k (unless Lexus really wants to penetrate the market, but they did NOT take that strategy with the IS F. A base IS F is more than an M3 I think but the IS F is loaded while the M3 needs thousands in options). A loaded M56 is 70k, a CTS-V is 70k and the IS F is now 60k to start. Expect it to be around 75-80k

Last edited by LexFather; 08-01-11 at 11:07 AM.

Old 08-01-11, 11:19 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Question GSF Hybrid

It’s been a while since we’ve seen or heard anything about the roadster variant of the Lexus LFA supercar. After teasing us with a stunning concept version back in 2008, Lexus went quiet on the matter and never really brought it up again.

Now, an all-encompassing report about Lexus’ future lineup suggests that the LFA Roadster is on track for a debut sometime in mid-2014.

According to Automotive News, Lexus will complete production of all 500 planned LFAs around the middle of 2013 upon which it will wait 1 year before launching the LFA Roadster.

The model will be the headline act of a raft of new or updated models Lexus is planning to debut over the coming years to help it regain its sales title as the top selling automotive luxury brand in the U.S. Currently, Lexus is behind key rivals BMW and Mercedes-Benz, due mostly to the recent Japanese earthquake disaster and its own recall problems.

In time, we can expect to see Lexus’ models significantly updated--either new sheet metal or powertrains--every 3 years or so, similar to what BMW currently does with its lineup.

The 1st new model off the blocks will be a redesigned GS due in showrooms at the end of the year. It will be followed by a new IS range built on a shortened version of the new rear-wheel drive platform developed for the GS.

According to the report, a high-performance GS-F model is being discussed, but with a hybrid drivetrain fitted instead of a conventional V-8.

Also due next year will be a facelifted HS 250h, which will stick with the current model’s nickel-metal hydride batteries, as well as a redesigned ES.

Moving on, only 1 model is expected for 2013, a completely redesigned LS flagship sedan.

Finally, 2014 will reportedly see the introduction of the LFA Roadster, as well as a redesigned RX crossover.

Unfortunately, there’s been no mention of the long-rumored 7-seater crossover that we reported on earlier this year.
Old 08-01-11, 11:22 AM
LexFather

The LFA chief engineer said he and the team were basically tired having spent 10 years on the car.....they said they would love to do a roadster so this rumor isn't really new and its still credible.

GS F being a hybrid? Maybe a V-8 one? Lexus also supposedly is working on a high powered hybrid coupe.

I think this is all mixed in one way or the other.

The big news clearly is the HS facelift

Old 08-01-11, 11:41 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for pricing, no way it will be 70k (unless Lexus really wants to penetrate the market, but they did NOT take that strategy with the IS F. A base IS F is more than an M3 I think but the IS F is loaded while the M3 needs thousands in options). A loaded M56 is 70k, a CTS-V is 70k and the IS F is now 60k to start. Expect it to be around 75-80k
I was thinking 80k and I am happy with that, if they give it what it needs it will not cost any less.

Again its a little diff, but I really love the new CLS 550 and thats an 80k \ 400HP car. Lexus should not have an issue bringing in a 400hp+ Gs-F that looks, preforms and sounds amazing for 80k
Old 08-01-11, 11:46 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I was 100% only interested in the GS F but these reviews and the interior pics have me curious about the next GSh as well, something I could not say before these reviews/pics.

gsh won't come close to touching the m and amg, it might be better than the current gsh but still it won't be the same level.

and yes, if they make a gsf, it should be higher than 70k. i don't see it anything less. isf price is the same as m3 (figure wise), and m5/e63 are both touching 100k

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)