GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-11, 03:22 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be very surprised if the new GS hybrid actually gets 380hp, assuming that the new GS hybrid maintains the same 3.5L displacement AND switches to an Atkinson-cycle engine to optimize for fuel economy, which the current GS hybrid is criticized for. I personally predict 360hp just like the M35 Hybrid, which the increase coming mostly from a more powerful electric motor.
Old 08-01-11, 03:47 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
i think 80-85k starting price would be good, that's still lower than competitors.

i still say if they don't have anything 500+hp, don't call it gsf. it would be funny when isf has 415hp and gsf more or less the same figure.
I fully endorse all of the content of this post.

Originally Posted by SRTGS300
According to Motor Trend (Looking in the Sept issue), the 3.5's hp is bumped to 310/280 and the Hybrid will have a combined 380hp.
**sigh** was Hoping it'd more like 320hp for the V6. Leaving business on the table for Joe?

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I'd like to see the hybrid closer to 400hp since their isn't a V8 car, and the 550i and E550 are in that realm.

Omission of the 8AT is becoming more and more depressing
Agreed, however, if they can maintain a weight advantage the 20-40hp difference might not be that noticeable. The problem is, after the batteries run dry, those ponies are only going to be about 300 or so, and thinking about that makes me depressed that their won't be a real V8.

Mike, how does your 450h run on highway pulls and for how long before you are left without juice?
Old 08-01-11, 04:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
hp # isn't everything. how it gets to the ground matters, where the torque peak is, and of course, fuel economy.
when you think a 2gs300 had what, 225hp?
and that car is very slow!
Old 08-01-11, 04:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

regarding the v6, 310 and i am ok. in fact even the current 303/306 i am fine too. it's plenty of power for that engine and that group of buyers. buyers in that group don't look very closely at speed. but of course, i still point out on the 6 speed, that's a bummer.

if the 4gs doesn't have v8, then i think it's good if they can boost the hybrid to the 380hp mark. they probably need to, although not 400hp, but at least get close and compete. otherwise it will be lost like that easily.

true that with the hybrid, if the batter runs dry it's back to a very heavy v6. but it's not very easy to run it dry imho. if you run it on the track, i can imagine. but for highway driving and occasional punch it should be all good. keep in mind, on normal highway it's all gas engine, only when you punch it it kicks in the electric
Old 08-01-11, 04:56 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah its kind of a let down but we just have to see how it performs.
Old 08-01-11, 05:02 PM
lostnspace
Rookie

regarding the v6, 310 and i am ok. in fact even the current 303/306 i am fine too. it's plenty of power for that engine and that group of buyers. buyers in that group don't look very closely at speed. but of course, i still point out on the 6 speed, that's a bummer.

if the 4gs doesn't have v8, then i think it's good if they can boost the hybrid to the 380hp mark. they probably need to, although not 400hp, but at least get close and compete. otherwise it will be lost like that easily.

true that with the hybrid, if the batter runs dry it's back to a very heavy v6. but it's not very easy to run it dry imho. if you run it on the track, i can imagine. but for highway driving and occasional punch it should be all good. keep in mind, on normal highway it's all gas engine, only when you punch it it kicks in the electric
I'm still miffed at the fact Lexus engineers had all these years to bump up to a 7 or 8 speed automatic (and V8) but still want to stick around with the 6 speed, to me its seems quite lazy and not forward thinking. Lexus says they want to compete but to slowly roll out the big guns and important updates to GS, is insane to say the least. I think the days of incremental updates in a luxury Lexus cannot afford right now. In some aspects, I think Lexus is still out of touch with what the consumer really wants. Or maybe I'm just the vocal minority
Old 08-01-11, 05:06 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

I'm telling you they'll probably do a update the second year the 4GS is out.
Old 08-01-11, 05:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by lostnspace
I'm still miffed at the fact Lexus engineers had all these years to bump up to a 7 or 8 speed automatic (and V8) but still want to stick around with the 6 speed, to me its seems quite lazy and not forward thinking. Lexus says they want to compete but to slowly roll out the big guns and important updates to GS, is insane to say the least. I think the days of incremental updates in a luxury Lexus cannot afford right now. In some aspects, I think Lexus is still out of touch with what the consumer really wants. Or maybe I'm just the vocal minority
no you are not alone, i think lexus can definitely reach out more to hear what the market and generations want. mb is spending a lot of money to hear what specific group of people / buyers want in the future cars, years ahead of production. same with bmw from what i know. lexus has something similar, but from my understanding the scale is quite small. unless they are reaching out to a completely different group that i am aware of.

we will see how lexus plays this game. but with the drivetain having minimum touches, they will need to make up somewhere else
Old 08-01-11, 05:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

lol i still remember how a lot of 06 gs300 owners #*&%#(*3 about the gs350 updates when it was announced
Old 08-01-11, 05:11 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

And that's how its most likely going to be with this generation. I wouldn't be surprised.
Old 08-01-11, 05:21 PM
lostnspace
Rookie

lol i still remember how a lot of 06 gs300 owners #*&%#(*3 about the gs350 updates when it was announced
That's just it, does Lexus really have the "luxury" to do this again? How many times can Lexus alienate its dwindling consumer market. Also with sales declining and the earthquake/tsunami further hurting sales...shouldn't Lexus be fighting like a fat kid over the last piece of cake rather being the kid thats willing to settle for crumbs
Old 08-01-11, 05:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,635 Posts

That's just it, does Lexus really have the "luxury" to do this again?
sure... when you're selling hardly any anyway, you have lots of options, lol.

Also with sales declining and the earthquake/tsunami further hurting sales...shouldn't Lexus be fighting like a fat kid over the last piece of cake rather being the kid thats willing to settle for crumbs
not really, the gs, while a style direction for lexus, has never been a huge seller. it is still likely to be only 10-20% of rx sales i'd bet, even if a 'home run'.
Old 08-01-11, 05:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

And that's how its most likely going to be with this generation. I wouldn't be surprised.
That's just it, does Lexus really have the "luxury" to do this again? How many times can Lexus alienate its dwindling consumer market. Also with sales declining and the earthquake/tsunami further hurting sales...shouldn't Lexus be fighting like a fat kid over the last piece of cake rather being the kid thats willing to settle for crumbs
in lexus defense though, the gs300 was a huge disaster because the engine was so underpowered (not even funny). i think it was 240hp or so, which was very bad. on top, back in japan home court, lexus came out with gs350 the very first year already (don't ask me why), indicating that the 350 was coming for sure very soon. all those news masked out a lot about what the 3gs had to offer.

looking at the 4gs, the engine and hp numbers are pretty respectable already, so that's why i think it's "ok". the tranny, that's another story.
Old 08-01-11, 07:07 PM
LexFather

I also would like to see the 8 speed but again, when the LS debuted the 8 speed many people were saying its silly. Its funny how things change.

One great thing about that 6 speed is its rock solid and it has paddles in the IS so having paddles in the GS should be great. At least we can say while the tranny is carryover at least they really seemed to do their H.W and take it to another level with sport, the interior and options.

Also note (I think someone mentioned it) the GS will be lightest in class so while it may be short on the HP rating, it should more than hold its own.

Old 08-01-11, 07:18 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah its kind of a let down but we just have to see how it performs.
I don't see it as a letdown because it's already faster than most of the cars on the road so if they shave off another 0.5 seconds it will not mean anything. But if they leave performance as is and increase city MPG by 3-4MPG that would mean a lot.

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)