GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-11, 07:40 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
I fully endorse all of the content of this post.

**sigh** was Hoping it'd more like 320hp for the V6. Leaving business on the table for Joe?

Agreed, however, if they can maintain a weight advantage the 20-40hp difference might not be that noticeable. The problem is, after the batteries run dry, those ponies are only going to be about 300 or so, and thinking about that makes me depressed that their won't be a real V8.

Mike, how does your 450h run on highway pulls and for how long before you are left without juice?
Is that really how the Lexus hybrid system works? From how I understand it (my own assumption), the electric system helps the engine during acceleration and maintains it throughout. How does the battery run dry? I thought it was regenerative battery system.
Old 08-01-11, 08:06 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mordecai
Is that really how the Lexus hybrid system works? From how I understand it (my own assumption), the electric system helps the engine during acceleration and maintains it throughout. How does the battery run dry? I thought it was regenerative battery system.
There are ways, some straightforward and some a mix of events.
1. You can simply run the battery dry by using it at low speeds in battery power mode only and sap all the power.
2. You can idle and use all the battery power if you sit for a long time
3. Sometimes you might use the battery power flooring it over and over and giving it minimal opportunity for it to recharge.

There are ways.

Old 08-01-11, 08:25 PM
ICEBERGS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looking at the pics and just reading all the news, I can say that Im very disappointed thus far. Lexus really dropped the ball with the GS again....I mean this car was released in 97 "something wicked comes this way" and it shook up the segment, and now it has just faded into the background in my opinion. Lexus should have gone back to the roots of the 2nd generation and took that approach. There seems to be nothing class leading or ground breaking here to me, but I will reserve all my opinions until the car is released in the next few weeks. Right now, if I had to go off what Im seeing I would definitely shop elsewhere because this is too much BMW influence, but not in a good way. Great ideas, changes and additions but not really great in execution... in my opinion the Infiniti M has a nicer interior....but as a true Lexus fan I will reserve all judgements until Pebble Beach......Right now the new 5 series is looking even more attractive!
Old 08-01-11, 09:23 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
I don't see it as a letdown because it's already faster than most of the cars on the road so if they shave off another 0.5 seconds it will not mean anything. But if they leave performance as is and increase city MPG by 3-4MPG that would mean a lot.
I know its gonna be a great performer but its a new generation and they only improved by 7 hp and we dont know if they're going to use the 6 sp or the 8. I know its not all about hp but still.
Old 08-01-11, 11:38 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will this 4GS have a 4WD/AWD version?
Old 08-02-11, 12:35 AM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

The power in the car is just fine, how much power do we really need ? Higher the HP, lower the MPG and there are higher CAFE standards to try to conform to. Gas is not cheap, do you really need to get to 60 in less than 5 secs in a 4 door sedan ? 6 speed auto is fine also....any more, car is simply changing gears non stop.... IMO, the car will be much better if it handles worth a damn, WHen I went to lexus performance academy, the is250 with the fsport mods was the fastest as it could handle so well compared to all the other IS models there (minus isf). It would be sweet if they got significantly better mpg.....
Old 08-02-11, 06:11 AM
Rider
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus needs to realize that there is something called a DCT.
Old 08-02-11, 06:20 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Good question. It's something I've been wondering about. To date, Lexus hasn't said officially said one way or the other, but with all the GS rivals offering AWD, I'd say there's about a 99.9% probability there'll be an AWD GS4.
Old 08-02-11, 07:24 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
A better question is whether they will again limit AWD availability to the V6 model only ...
Old 08-02-11, 08:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Rider
Lexus needs to realize that there is something called a DCT.
dct among normal gs lineup, that's too good of a dream for now
Old 08-02-11, 08:44 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ICEBERGS
looking at the pics and just reading all the news, I can say that Im very disappointed thus far. Lexus really dropped the ball with the GS again....I mean this car was released in 97 "something wicked comes this way" and it shook up the segment, and now it has just faded into the background in my opinion. Lexus should have gone back to the roots of the 2nd generation and took that approach. There seems to be nothing class leading or ground breaking here to me, but I will reserve all my opinions until the car is released in the next few weeks. Right now, if I had to go off what Im seeing I would definitely shop elsewhere because this is too much BMW influence, but not in a good way. Great ideas, changes and additions but not really great in execution... in my opinion the Infiniti M has a nicer interior....but as a true Lexus fan I will reserve all judgements until Pebble Beach......Right now the new 5 series is looking even more attractive!
Being from Greenville, you should know all about BMW influence

I do agree with you. Would be nice if they launched something Wicked.

As is from everything I read this new GS is going to be a superb car but the initial line-up may lack sizzle.
Old 08-02-11, 09:18 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_0T8...&feature=feedu
Old 08-02-11, 11:47 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

that was a great video, he's kinda funny
Old 08-02-11, 01:03 PM
NCGS350
Driver School Candidate

It's the next day and my eyes still burn! GAAAAAAHHHHHH!
Old 08-02-11, 01:09 PM
NCGS350
Driver School Candidate

Sport Plus, huh?

Plus what?

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)