GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-10, 07:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I just hope they do not kill the regular V8 GS in favor of GS-F. I would never want a car like GS-F - with low profile tires and stiff suspension they are just too punishing and not practical.
I totally agree there. The IS-F I reviewed was (arguably), along with the Mitsubishi Evo, the most stiffly-sprung 4-door sedan I've ever driven...though the BMW M3 wasn't that far behind. If they do the GS-F chassis like that, you are probably, as you yourself note, not going to like it. Even auto enthusiast magazines complain about the IS-F's harsh ride (which, for them, is a rarity, as they generally like sport suspensions). But, perhaps, the GS-F, with its longer wheelbase and heavier weight (which tend to smooth things out a bit) will be a little more civil on a rough road than the IS-F was.....we'll wait and see.
Old 02-18-10, 07:38 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I totally agree there. The IS-F I reviewed was (arguably), along with the Mitsubishi Evo, the most stiffly-sprung 4-door sedan I've ever driven...though the BMW M3 wasn't that far behind. If they do the GS-F chassis like that, you are probably, as you yourself note, not going to like it. Even auto enthusiast magazines complain about the IS-F's harsh ride (which, for them, is a rarity, as they generally like sport suspensions). But, perhaps, the GS-F, with its longer wheelbase and heavier weight (which tend to smooth things out a bit) will be a little more civil on a rough road than the IS-F was.....we'll wait and see.
What concerns me even more than stiff suspension is the ultra low profile tires that cars like IS-F and M3 are equipped with. They are completely unacceptable to be driving on NYC roads.
Old 02-18-10, 07:41 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not going to get my hopes up.

What has Lexus done for the V-8 (GS) since 1998 to make us believe there's something 'magical' coming down the pipe?

Same engine for 3 years. (GS400 98-00)
Increase torque in 01 but same horsepower - oh joy (GS430)
Same engine/hp for 7 years (3UZ 01-07) - oh joy
Same exact body style for 8 years (2nd Gen 98-05)
Another 42 hp in 08 (GS460) - finally
Same body style three years and counting (3rd Gen) - oh friggin joy

(don't quote me on the stats, I'm not doing research, just making a point)

If there has been a forgotten stepchild of the company it's been the GS4xx. Which is amazing considering the level of HP wars that was occurring around this time with the other car companies.
Old 02-18-10, 08:28 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
They basically are recycling the same news. They know nothing and then present a NEW photoshop which is OLD.

That article says the exact OPPOSITE of their heading.
This is the craptastic journalism that is plaguing magazines that people read.

More of a chance of a GS-F than any V-8 Acura
Another absolutely horrible article from R&T with totally false information .

G Sports has very little to do with the Lexus F performance division. "G Sports" is very likely to be Japan-only, so it amazes me that websites keep reporting that "G Sports" is coming to North America, that Lexus F cars are part of the "G Sports" program, etc.
Old 02-18-10, 08:52 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Would you actually spring for a GS-F if it is put it into production? That's going to be a pretty fair number of $$$$$$$. My rough guess is probably 65 or 70K........perhaps more.
70k? you gotta be kidding me. isf msrp is already at around 63k. gsf, if it comes, will be around 80k or more. it will definitely be a car i consider. it's just about the market people are shopping in
Old 02-18-10, 10:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
70k? you gotta be kidding me. isf msrp is already at around 63k. gsf, if it comes, will be around 80k or more. it will definitely be a car i consider. it's just about the market people are shopping in
That's why I said 70K or more in that post, Henry. Regular GS460's run (roughly) in the mid-high 50's, depending on options......sometimes reaching 60K or more (the Lexus web site has the GS460 starting at just over 54K). Given that the IS-F stars at 58K, I figured the GS-F would run roughly some 15K or so more...high 60s to low 70s. But, if Lexus sees enough projected demand for it, 80K, as you note, may not be out of the question...and that would still probably keep it less expensive than its M5 competition.
Old 02-18-10, 11:03 AM
MI350_55
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Next M5 will be TT V8
I bet our Lemon attorney will create a special website just for this vehicle like the 335i problem w/ its HPFP.
Old 02-18-10, 12:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

That's why I said 70K or more in that post, Henry. Regular GS460's run (roughly) in the mid-high 50's, depending on options......sometimes reaching 60K or more (the Lexus web site has the GS460 starting at just over 54K). Given that the IS-F stars at 58K, I figured the GS-F would run roughly some 15K or so more...high 60s to low 70s. But, if Lexus sees enough projected demand for it, 80K, as you note, may not be out of the question...and that would still probably keep it less expensive than its M5 competition.
i am sure we all would agree that starting price is as pointless as it can get these days anyway. if there is a 70k gsf, it's either so barebone it doesn't make sense, or lexus is smoking something good. m5 and e63 reasonably optioned are all in the 95-100k range, i don't see similar equipped gsf to be less than 80k. just like the isf vs m3 and c63. m3 and c63 are usually around mid 60s. isf, you see it right around 60
Old 02-18-10, 12:48 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I agree, I think that the lowest a supposed GS-F model would start at would be roughly 80K. There is a small chance it might be high-70K range, but even at 80K, this is thousands cheaper than what an M5 or E63 AMG start at.

Even the Audi S6 starts at 76K, and that is not even a true AMG/M competitor.

The reason being is quite simple. The GS is a bigger car than the IS, so compared to an IS-F, the GS-F would need bigger brakes, stronger suspension, a stronger transmission, and more powerful engine due to the fact the car is bigger and heavier. If Lexus were to use any carbon fiber in a supposed GS-F, that would increase the price even more.
Old 02-18-10, 03:11 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So no real news, too bad.
Old 02-18-10, 07:17 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS-SV
So no real news, too bad.
lol basically......

Considering prices continue to climb I expect the next V-8 and hybrid GS to hit 70k with options/loaded. You can load up a RX to 60k now!

Off topic but the CTS-V is such a bargain its really mind boggling.

Old 02-24-10, 07:00 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Default Lexus GS-F rumored to get LFA V10 power (+ hybrid IS?)

Lexus GS-F to get LFA V10 power

Lexus is planning to take on the BMW M5 with a super-saloon version of the GS, powered by the LFA’s V10, and will follow up that car with a new SC aimed at the likes of the Mercedes SL.

The new SC will be unveiled in mid-2014, although the current car is due to finish production this July, leaving a four-year gap between the two cars. However, the next model will be a hybrid, powered by a 5.0-litre V8 and an electric motor driving the rear wheels only.

Lexus engineers are working on reducing the engine’s capacity by around 200cc to 4.6 litres and power to 450bhp. The idea is to improve low-range torque, although even with the reduced power output the GS-F will become the most powerful road-going Japanese saloon ever built.

The GS-F will be fitted with Toyota’s first torque vectoring differential. Similar to the diff used on BMW’s M cars and the likes of the X6 SUV, the ‘torque split unit’ actively apportions drive between the rear wheels to aid handling. A similar system is also expected to be fitted to the new SC.

Before the new SC and GS-F arrive, Lexus will unveil its first hatchback at next month’s Geneva motor show.

The CT200h is a hybrid five-door and will go on sale in 2011. It’s based on the Prius platform but has been modified to provide a more sophisticated ride and handling; the Prius’s torsion beam rear suspension has been replaced by a double wishbone layout.

The powertrain electrics have been designed specifically for the Lexus, ensuring punchier power delivery from the electric motor. And the CT200h will have lithium ion batteries, making it the first Toyota product to do so.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...aspx?AR=247739
Old 02-24-10, 07:12 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

If they want to increase torque, why would they DECREASE displacement? Also, 450hp isn't going to cut it in that market segment, no way no how. Any less than 500hp, srsly, don't bother. even at that power level, I doubt it'd ring in close to the 3500lb mark.

I like what I keep hearing about the torque vectoring diff though.
Old 02-24-10, 07:17 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MR_F1
If they want to increase torque, why would they DECREASE displacement? Also, 450hp isn't going to cut it in that market segment, no way no how. Any less than 500hp, srsly, don't bother. even at that power level, I doubt it'd ring in close to the 3500lb mark.

I like what I keep hearing about the torque vectoring diff though.
Consider the porsche panamera s at 100k, maybe Lexus can pull it off with 450hp with that sick v10
Old 02-24-10, 09:16 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MR_F1
I agree. Although it is great news that Lexus decided to contend with the M5, they have to compete using similar power levels and/or reduce the weight of the car to raise the power to weight ratio.

All of its competitors have at least 500 hp: The E63 has 525 hp, the new M5 is supposed to have at least 550, the CTS-V has 556, the Jag XFR has 510, and the Audi RS6 has 580.

If Lexus wants to get serious about contending with these super-sedans they've got to provide an engine with at least 500 hp. However, I think Lexus should innovate and put in the 450 hp engine but reduce the car's weight by 500 pounds.

On a side note, I wonder what suspension and brake modifications they have planned.

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)