GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-10, 09:18 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
If they want to increase torque, why would they DECREASE displacement? Also, 450hp isn't going to cut it in that market segment, no way no how. Any less than 500hp, srsly, don't bother. even at that power level, I doubt it'd ring in close to the 3500lb mark.

I like what I keep hearing about the torque vectoring diff though.
I'd get one if that V10 remotely sounds like the LFA's V10. I could care less about M5 having 20 billion horsepowers.
Old 02-24-10, 09:20 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Seriously doubt that the GSF will get the V10. Didnt a European Lexus PR dude say that will never happen a month or so ago? Im also sure that engine cost an arm and a leg.
Old 02-24-10, 09:22 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex

Lexus GS-F to get LFA V10 power

Lexus is planning to take on the BMW M5 with a super-saloon version of the GS, powered by the LFA’s V10, and will follow up that car with a new SC aimed at the likes of the Mercedes SL.

The new SC will be unveiled in mid-2014, although the current car is due to finish production this July, leaving a four-year gap between the two cars. However, the next model will be a hybrid, powered by a 5.0-litre V8 and an electric motor driving the rear wheels only.

Lexus engineers are working on reducing the engine’s capacity by around 200cc to 4.6 litres and power to 450bhp. The idea is to improve low-range torque, although even with the reduced power output the GS-F will become the most powerful road-going Japanese saloon ever built.

The GS-F will be fitted with Toyota’s first torque vectoring differential. Similar to the diff used on BMW’s M cars and the likes of the X6 SUV, the ‘torque split unit’ actively apportions drive between the rear wheels to aid handling. A similar system is also expected to be fitted to the new SC.

Before the new SC and GS-F arrive, Lexus will unveil its first hatchback at next month’s Geneva motor show.

The CT200h is a hybrid five-door and will go on sale in 2011. It’s based on the Prius platform but has been modified to provide a more sophisticated ride and handling; the Prius’s torsion beam rear suspension has been replaced by a double wishbone layout.

The powertrain electrics have been designed specifically for the Lexus, ensuring punchier power delivery from the electric motor. And the CT200h will have lithium ion batteries, making it the first Toyota product to do so.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...aspx?AR=247739
I thought that we just learned that the CT200h will have nickel metal hydride batteries? How accurate is this article?
Old 02-24-10, 09:24 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GFerg
Seriously doubt that the GSF will get the V10. Didnt a European Lexus PR dude say that will never happen a month or so ago? Im also sure that engine cost an arm and a leg.
Yea, I remember that too. He said the LFA V10 is bespoke for the LFA.

That's why I said, if I can get that motor in sub 100k car, I am there. All the way.
Old 02-24-10, 09:25 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This topic has been kicked around a few times already, and Lexus even directly said that the V10 engine is bespoke to the LFA. I think I also remember hearing that the engine is about 1/3 the cost of the entire car, so I can't see this being feasible for something like a GSF unless they price it into the atmosphere or take a loss on each one.

Plus, as much as I would love to see this engine in something more accessible, like a GSF, I think they will have more luck getting a competitive horsepower/torque number with a forced induction V8.
Old 02-24-10, 09:28 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i doubt the GS-F will get the LFA engine, the price would be huge.
Old 02-24-10, 09:33 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

Where are the people who said the V10 is only exclusive for the LFA thus commanding the $400k price tag?

Honestly, everything about the LFA is out of this world that I am really disappointed that its engine will be shared with other Lexus cars even in the detuned version. It's a very good news for the GS fans but very BAD news for LF-A owners. I would be really pissed if I ordered one and received this news.

Unless the future GS looses some fat, 450hp is not enough to compete.
Old 02-24-10, 10:00 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too am receptive of a performance variant of the next-gen GS. However, as mentioned, when most of your competitors are 500 horses and up, it's hard to keep up.

So yeah, unless the GSF gets a huge diet, having power rating below 500 horses will leave you in the dust.
Old 02-24-10, 10:06 AM
LexFather

It is not getting the LFA V10. It will get the trick diff.

The next m5 will gave the tt v8 used in the suv m things.

Old 02-24-10, 10:11 AM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Sounds like the return of a proper SC.

Let's hope there's a true coupe version, and none of this heavy folding hardtop nonsense.
Old 02-24-10, 10:26 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

500 HP or bust in that segment I think or it needs to weigh significantly less. Even then the average consumer may want their additional 60-100 horses the others offer.
Old 02-24-10, 11:09 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have been saying that it makes more sense for Toyota to detune the LFA motor and drop in into as many platforms as it can to make up some of the loss on R&D
Old 02-24-10, 11:25 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

a lot of things in this articles doesn't add up well. people from both sides can and will continue to fight over the topic until the end. a v10 with even less displacement and looking for more tq, that doesn't sound logical. i would think if they want to increase overall tq, they would increase the displacement.

and as people mentioned, lexus europe already said the v10 is only for lfa. and also someone pointed out before already that the lfa v10 design is not really suitable for other street cars under the lexus belt.

if they push out 450hp, it's going to be a really tough sell on the car. a v10 in the gsf, the price probably won't be south of 90k. for much less, you can get the c63 with the same power. for about the same price (a bit more), m5 and e63 will both offer north of 500hp. it's going to be very very tough for lexus to market the car. this is not like lfa where people look more from performance. in the m5 / e63 market, seriously, a lot of owners are about bragging rights. gsf with 450hp can hardly cut it.

from a performance point of view, if they even want the gsf to work with 450hp and able to hang with m5 and e63, the car has to be like what, 3500lb. looking at the isf, that's unlikely. a 4000lb machine with 450hp, i don't know...

i also hope the new sc will come sooner. a 4 yr wait (complete vacuum) is a big gap...

but then again, overall, toyota has a lot of other problems they have to deal with right now
Old 02-24-10, 12:04 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by TorontoIS
I thought that we just learned that the CT200h will have nickel metal hydride batteries? How accurate is this article?
you can not trust anything that UK mags write, so probably not accurate at all ;-)
Old 02-24-10, 12:21 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It is not getting the LFA V10. It will get the trick diff.

The next m5 will gave the tt v8 used in the suv m things.

I'm inclined to give 1SICKLEX more credence here.He's been right about a lot of this stuff as far as Lexus is concerned. But I had to post the article just for discussion's sake.

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)