GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-11, 05:41 PM
stefnee
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LEXUS PURSUIT: The all-new GS revealed at Pebble Beach

From an email I got from Lexus regarding the new GS. Just a teaser photo from the front....with LED lights.

On August 18, at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance® [1], Lexus will reveal, for the first time, the amazing all-new GS, which kicks off the bold new design direction for future Lexus vehicles. The driving performance of the GS astonishes—more engaging, more emotional, more connected to the road. And you will be among the first to view this inspirational new Lexus vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)-img1_v3.jpg  
Old 08-08-11, 05:50 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mrweaver7
Haha! Funniest thing I read all day.
+1.

Thank you Batman for cracking me up
Old 08-08-11, 05:55 PM
davidwhang
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nooOOOOOOooO... dont want it to come out cuz it makes my car look older haha
Old 08-08-11, 06:05 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoUnion
Or that some people can't bear to admit that their beloved brand blantly ripped off their competitor's LED DRLs...

It's further proof that some people's egos get hurt when Lexus is accused of something and it's quite obvious.
Baiting.

AutoUnion, please exit this thread.

Everybody else, back on topic of the 4GS please. Keep this discussion polite and mature, even if you don't like the new GS being unveiled.
Old 08-08-11, 09:51 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
I have driven various years 450h many times, you think I am some Honda rice boy that comment on how a car feel without ever driven one?
well, with such a bold response, of course i do! (hey, you set yourself up for that one! ) i kid, i kid!!!

You described power output, yes the 450h feel as strong as a 460, it might even feel stronger. What I meant by "feel" is the linearity of the power delivery, also the smoothness, no V6 is as smooth as a V8, there is nothing you can do to fake it.
well why didn't you say so! i can't read your mind you know!

My guess is the 450h power is maxed out as is, so they detuned the 460 to match it. If they can make the 450h to put out 380 hp, they probably would keep both at 380 hp. That's my feeling.
it would be presumptuous to think that the 450h potential power is maxed out at 340 total system hp. if lexus wanted the GS450h to put out 380 hp, they could engineer and build it. but at what cost?

my guess is that they detuned the GS460 because it is easier and more cost effective to detune an engine from 380 hp to 342 hp, than going the other way (which is bump up GS450h total system hp from 340 hp to 380 hp).

2 points i want to bring out why i think GS450h is not maxed out power wise: first, bumping up hp on the hybrid side of the performance equation should not be impossible. by using bigger or stronger electric motors, higher capacity hybrid traction battery, etc, there should be gains available in this area.

secondly, let's not forget that the GS450h uses a detuned V6 from the GS350 rated at 303 hp. if memory serves me right, the detuned V6 in the 450h runs in the 290 hp range, give or take a few hp.

if you add up all the potential gains from the detuned engine and hybrid powertrain upgrades, it is not out of the question to make the GS450h to come close, meet, or exceed (total system) 380 hp. the question is whether or not it is practical or cost effective for lexus to do so. and i believe you and i know the answer to that question!

Last edited by Stormforge; 08-08-11 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-08-11, 10:14 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Loving what I see so far.
Old 08-08-11, 10:18 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Stormforge, of course the total power output can be any amount they want to make it, but after meeting all design constraints and goals, 340 hp is the max they came up with. Increasing engine power decreases fuel efficiency, higher electric power required bigger size battery to take up more room in the trunk then it already does.....increase total cost of the package......etc.

That's what I mean by it being maxed out. If you are just talking about making power on an engine dyno, then is a whole different story.

So yes you are right, since the 450h power is maxed out under design constraints, it is easier to just detuned the 460 power down
Old 08-08-11, 10:25 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Stormforge, seeing you as a big hybrid fan, don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of Lexus hybrid..........well not so much the 4-banger stuff.....CT/HS But I love the GS450h and especially the LS600hL. In fact, the 600hL is definitely a car I would consider in my future.

I was just talking out loud how I love the feel of pure gas V8 power over a V6 hybrid drive. I love all the benefits of the hybrid drive offer, I love the engine turning off when the throttle shut down. I love being able to idle with the engine off but everything is working......AC, stereo.....etc. I love cruising in EV mode in complete silent......just wish the battery is stronger so it can cruise in higher speed. Well I am sure the next generation will do that

I tried it extensively, the 450h can only get up to 30 mph in pure EV mode, 20 mph in the 5000 lbs 600.......that's a little too slow

Last edited by BNR34; 08-08-11 at 10:28 PM.
Old 08-09-11, 02:54 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I want Lexus to use LED tubes instead of gazzilion LEDs but it is what it is.

There is a subtle difference between Lexus LEDs (on LS and IS) and what everyone else is doing. Lexus LEDs have a glow and create diffuse effect where Audi, Jag have LEDs that look like isolated dots or dashes when lit up.

Who knows maybe 4GS will be just like Audi this time or maybe it will follow the LS and IS route. It doesn't matter anyway.
Old 08-09-11, 02:32 PM
NCGS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
I want Lexus to use LED tubes instead of gazzilion LEDs but it is what it is.

There is a subtle difference between Lexus LEDs (on LS and IS) and what everyone else is doing. Lexus LEDs have a glow and create diffuse effect where Audi, Jag have LEDs that look like isolated dots or dashes when lit up.

Who knows maybe 4GS will be just like Audi this time or maybe it will follow the LS and IS route. It doesn't matter anyway.
Good.

As the owner of a late model GS, one of the things I love about the car it that it does not ape everyone else. I think it's a distinctive and beautiful car. That's one of the main reasons I bought it.
I don't want it to look like other cars (even the LS is too close for me!). That aside, I don't like the Line of Dots LED look (which I do associate with Audi) in general terms.
I love my GS because it's like having a reliable Jaguar that goes like the very clappers of hell.
Obviously style matters are very subjective things.
Old 08-09-11, 04:28 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

GS had LED fogs available in Japan 6 years ago. No one seem to care now that Benz and others cough* copied that....
Old 08-09-11, 05:29 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
GS had LED fogs available in Japan 6 years ago. No one seem to care now that Benz and others cough* copied that....
As cool as that was 6 years ago, they were nothing amazing though........so tiny with so few LEDs. And not many people know about it too. Of course no one would mention it.

Old 08-09-11, 06:11 PM
JBasco20
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i sure hope we get a V8 version because my Warranty is up in 12/13 and i will probably start getting ready to buy me the New GS around 10/13. The hybrid is fast but i love the sound and how silky smooth the V8 is in my 430...
Old 08-09-11, 10:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
As cool as that was 6 years ago, they were nothing amazing though........so tiny with so few LEDs. And not many people know about it too. Of course no one would mention it.

if anything i like the hid part of the foglights more
Old 08-10-11, 08:43 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
if anything i like the hid part of the foglights more
same here.......it looks decent when the HID and LED are both on together, but it just looks like one big HID fogs.

Those LEDs were tiny and not bright at all, nothing cool like the LED DRL on today's Euro's cars.

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)