GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-11, 01:08 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are what, 6 days away from the unveiling?
Old 08-10-11, 01:09 PM
JBasco20
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id be very happy with the 5.0L V8 with a few more ponies than the ISF matched with the 8Speed...
Old 08-10-11, 01:18 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
We are what, 6 days away from the unveiling?
8 days .....
Old 08-10-11, 01:36 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really hope the new GS will impress... can't wait!
Old 08-10-11, 01:49 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JBasco20
Id be very happy with the 5.0L V8 with a few more ponies than the ISF matched with the 8Speed...
That's exactly what the GS-F will have.

Most folks are not happy with that though for the F.
Old 08-10-11, 01:51 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by *Batman*
Me too. But I prefer a supercharged engine. Supercharged 5.0 V8 GS
I prefer gas driven over belt driven
Old 08-10-11, 01:53 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I don't think TT or SC is going to happen...journalists would have noticed/heard either during testing last month.
I don't think so either............we are all just dreaming because of that one obscured rumor of someone know Lexus developed a twin turbo V8.
Old 08-10-11, 01:55 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
lexus already has the nice FP ticking noise
I hate that noise, sounds like a diesel, but at least it doesn't break down.
Old 08-10-11, 04:20 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Stormforge, seeing you as a big hybrid fan, don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of Lexus hybrid..........well not so much the 4-banger stuff.....CT/HS But I love the GS450h and especially the LS600hL. In fact, the 600hL is definitely a car I would consider in my future.

I was just talking out loud how I love the feel of pure gas V8 power over a V6 hybrid drive. I love all the benefits of the hybrid drive offer, I love the engine turning off when the throttle shut down. I love being able to idle with the engine off but everything is working......AC, stereo.....etc. I love cruising in EV mode in complete silent......just wish the battery is stronger so it can cruise in higher speed. Well I am sure the next generation will do that

I tried it extensively, the 450h can only get up to 30 mph in pure EV mode, 20 mph in the 5000 lbs 600.......that's a little too slow
yup, love my GS450h! it was love at first drive actually. test drove the GS350, and i was like meh. then i drove the GS450h, and i was like woah, i like this!

yes i understand your comment now, and i agree. sometimes when reading someone's post online, you don't always understand what that person is trying to say.

while i agree with you that the constraints of the 3GS design limits the addition of hybrid power, a part of me also believes that you could squeeze out more hybrid power somehow. i just have a gut feeling that 340 hp from the GS450h is not the maximum lexus can engineer based on 3GS design constraints. but this is moot, as you can't change history.
Old 08-10-11, 04:32 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stormforge
yup, love my GS450h! it was love at first drive actually. test drove the GS350, and i was like meh. then i drove the GS450h, and i was like woah, i like this!

yes i understand your comment now, and i agree. sometimes when reading someone's post online, you don't always understand what that person is trying to say.

while i agree with you that the constraints of the 3GS design limits the addition of hybrid power, a part of me also believes that you could squeeze out more hybrid power somehow. i just have a gut feeling that 340 hp from the GS450h is not the maximum lexus can engineer based on 3GS design constraints. but this is moot, as you can't change history.
Glad you understand my opinions now

Sure you can always squeeze out more power, but you are always giving up something when you gain something.........reliability, longevity, fuel efficiency......to name a few. Those are all parts of the design constraints
Old 08-10-11, 04:46 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Glad you understand my opinions now

Sure you can always squeeze out more power, but you are always giving up something when you gain something.........reliability, longevity, fuel efficiency......to name a few. Those are all parts of the design constraints
ok sure. but let's talk about 4GSh then. what do you realistically see as being the 4GSh power output? i'm guessing at least in the range of 360-380 hp (as infiniti M hybrid has 360 hp, so i'm hoping it should be more than competition)?
Old 08-10-11, 04:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
ok sure. but let's talk about 4GSh then. what do you realistically see as being the 4GSh power output? i'm guessing at least in the range of 360-380 hp (as infiniti M hybrid has 360 hp, so i'm hoping it should be more than competition)?
sorry but to me i need hybrid to go against v8 otherwise lexus has a hole that they can't fill.

550i - 400hp
e550 - 382hp (upcoming engine will be 435hp)
m56 - 420hp

so i don't know what the hybrid should be in order to be in the ball park. 380-390? infiniti m has the hybrid, but keep in mind they also have a v8 so the hybrid can gear more towards efficiency. 4gs doesn't sound like it will have v8 so far
Old 08-10-11, 05:14 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

sorry but to me i need hybrid to go against v8 otherwise lexus has a hole that they can't fill.

550i - 400hp
e550 - 382hp (upcoming engine will be 435hp)
m56 - 420hp

so i don't know what the hybrid should be in order to be in the ball park. 380-390? infiniti m has the hybrid, but keep in mind they also have a v8 so the hybrid can gear more towards efficiency. 4gs doesn't sound like it will have v8 so far
Stormforge, let me reply you along with rominl since they are on the same topic.

From what we heard so far, the 4GS will be:

1, 350 V6 that will be a direct carry over from the 3GS, so 303 hp.

2, V6 Hybrid that will replace the 460 V8.

3, GS-F with IS-F's 5.0L V8 crank up a bit to 465 hp.

So the current 450h got 340 hp, the 4GSh must at least match the Infiniti M Hybrid's 360 hp. And then it is replacing the role of the last V8 460. Lately Lexus is being conservative though, so my guess is the 4GSh will just match the M's 360 hp, 380 hp will match today's 4.6L V8's output. So somewhere between 360~380, maybe 370 hp just to one up Infiniti?

Yeah the German's all got 400 hp+ now, Infiniti always give you a little more power with more aggressive everything, one inch bigger wheels for example. I feel is their ways to attract people, or to compensate for their lower build quality or lower NVH. That's why the M56 got 420 hp, like how the G37 got 330 hp while the IS350 stay at 300 hp.

Infiniti attract people with higher power and sportyness. Lexus attract people with quality.

That's how I feel.

Last edited by BNR34; 08-10-11 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-10-11, 05:44 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As I posted previously. According to Motortrend, the 350 with have 310hp and the same torque. The h will have 380hp.
Old 08-10-11, 08:51 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry but i can't. i owned the gs400 and now the gs350, i know very well how the spacing is. from this picture it's pretty hard to say it, we don't even know how tall the guy is. if he's 5'7", big problem. if he's 6'4", that's very positive. i have seen my dad sitting in the back of my gs350 and depending on his seating position and the front seat position, things can look so different.

just knowing the car has increased in dimensions here and there doesn't mean much. usable space is the key. looking at pure numbers the 3gs rear rooms aren't that bad compared to 5 and e, but in reality, i still remember my parent getting in the back and they asked why i sold my gs400.

i am not knocking on the space (why would i, it looks good so far), but i am just saying i can't determine from all these pics yet. the trunk on the other hand is very clear with the look and the sample luggage, which is relatively standard in size
Multiple preview articles have mentioned headroom is increased, as has thigh room and the seats themselves sit a bit lower for improved interior space. This to me is as "usable" as it gets. Also look closely at the pictures, in the rear you can see "grooves" molded into the headliner where the rear passenger's heads would be, for improved headroom. Again, that seems very usable to me.

Originally Posted by flipside909
Well said. Everyone thought the 3rd gen GS was larger than the 2nd Gen GS when pictures of the car surfaced. In reality the 3rd gen is a bit tighter and cramped in certain areas (mainly headroom and trunk space). These were my biggest gripes about my GS 350 when I had it. With my IS F, the trunk space is much better and headroom overall much better (thanks to the lower seat cushion height in the front and rear).

The internet picture experts are surfacing again. LOL
4GS has lower seat cushion height compared to 3GS, according to several preview drives so far. 4GS also has increased headroom space than 3GS according to the same preview drives. Finally, pictures show us "grooves" molded into the headliner in the rear for additional headroom, something the 3GS doesn't have.

Originally Posted by flipside909
Do you realize the guy is not sitting straight in the seat and his head is tilted to look at the camera? Rear headroom looks to be pretty tight...very similar to 3rd Gen GS. Look how close his head is to the headliner. Also we don't know if that front seat pushed up or if the guy has a long torso and short legs to really qualify the increased space.
I hope you also realize there is lens distortion in the picture, and that there is still several inches of headroom space between his head and the headliner.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/WheelsNews/1255548.html

There is a lot more room in the new GS as well. While the exterior is 0.8-inches wider, there is an additional two inches of width inside thanks to the new rear suspension. There is an additional 1.2" of headroom in front and the buckets are another area where the team spent considerable effort. They are simply great with numerous adjustable bolsters for butt and back.

Things are better in the back too thanks to the additional width and 0.8" more headroom. With no strut towers, the trunk is also wider, has a flat floor and with a taller lid — 25 per cent more space.
I'll stick to the facts, no armchair analysis here. The facts tell me 4GS rear seating room has improved compared to 3GS rear seating room. Is it best-in-class? No, but the key is that it has improved while the overall size of the 4GS has remained about the SAME. It's not as big as the new E-Class or 5 Series, nor is it as heavy. The improved space comes from much improved interior and mechanical packaging, something Lexus must be commended for.

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)