GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-11, 01:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

simply put, the gsf (dream right now) and lfa are two completely different things and they shouldn't even be put together in the same talk. real buyers in those simply won't mix the two together.

slr vs sl65/s65 comparison is as valid as it gets if anyone wants to compare the lexus case. lfa is an all around track sport car. gsf is supposed to be a sport sedan. everything is different.

if lexus chain of command has too much ego and say lfa is their precious and thus nothing in the current generation / decade should have more hp than that car, then i can only show my sympathy
Old 08-11-11, 02:03 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
By the time a GS-F comes out , the LFA will be bridge under the water , they made a mistake by pricing the LFA too high , and they should not try to compensate for that mistake by dumbing down the GS-F just to appease the LFA owners , a mere 500 of them or less , who may or may not care too much about hoe much hp the GS-F have , and hp is not everything . they should concentrate on making a credible and competitive GS-F for the market that it is intended to compete in , which is the 500+ hp mid sized sedan segment. the last thingn they should do is to hold back the GS-F just because of the LFA(which is about much more than the engine's hp) , put out a half-assed product, they might as well not build a F variant at all .
I agree with you. The benchmark should be the F10 M5 and the Jag XFR - and that puts it in the 530-570hp range.
Old 08-11-11, 02:34 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would a 500+hp GS-F bother LFA owners? The GS isn't a low production carbon fiber super coupe. I doubt SLS AMG owners are bothered by E63 AMGs.

I do think Lexus won't allow the LFA to be out powered, but I firmly believe that if the GS F doesn't at least bring 500hp to the table they might as well not bother.
Old 08-11-11, 02:48 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
simply put, the gsf (dream right now) and lfa are two completely different things and they shouldn't even be put together in the same talk. real buyers in those simply won't mix the two together.

slr vs sl65/s65 comparison is as valid as it gets if anyone wants to compare the lexus case. lfa is an all around track sport car. gsf is supposed to be a sport sedan. everything is different.

if lexus chain of command has too much ego and say lfa is their precious and thus nothing in the current generation / decade should have more hp than that car, then i can only show my sympathy
Old 08-11-11, 02:56 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Why does the Lexus website advertise it to be "The 2013 GS"....are they skipping 2012?
No Lexus is not skipping 2012. The 2012 GS will be the 3GS. The 2013 GS will be the 4GS...
Old 08-12-11, 12:55 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Trexus
No Lexus is not skipping 2012. The 2012 GS will be the 3GS. The 2013 GS will be the 4GS...
Thank You!!!

The 2012's are arriving right around the corner as the 3GS.. (they will have a shorter run)

The (4GS) 2013's are scheduled to arrive for sale Late Spring / Early Summer 2013, if all goes as planned.

~ Joe Z
Old 08-12-11, 07:06 AM
ISFSPORT10
Driver School Candidate

There are no 2012 GS
Old 08-12-11, 07:16 AM
LexFather

I've seen updates from Lexus for some 2012 models..nothing for the GS yet

Old 08-12-11, 07:16 AM
iggyhop9
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The Lexus chat on the Lexus.com website said the 2012 would be 4GS, totally disputing the fact that the website itself says 2013 4GS. He/she said that the 2011 was the last 3GS model to be offered.
Old 08-12-11, 07:23 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by iggyhop9
The Lexus chat on the Lexus.com website said the 2012 would be 4GS, totally disputing the fact that the website itself says 2013 4GS. He/she said that the 2011 was the last 3GS model to be offered.
They may just skip the 2012 model year. The sales of the 3GS are so anemic it hardly makes sense to have a 2012 to bridge a few months. They'd be lucky if they sold a 100.

Sent from my iPad
Old 08-12-11, 08:31 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
465 hp is weak for a GS-F (especially in a segment where numbers are everything).

What is a potential GS-F supposed to compete with? I think it goes up against the likes of E63 AMG, Jaguar XF-R, Audi RS6, BMW M5 and even the Cadillac CTS-V WAGON.......all of them have more than 500 hp.

In this segment, it's the numbers that matter the most.

Hence, a GS-F for the next generation would need at least 500 hp. If Lexus can't make 500 horses, then they shouldn't bother with the GS-F at all...........and only come back when they feel that they are ready to make a GS-F that is really competitive.
Here is my take on it. I had a Cadillac CTS before my GS (the current generation CTS). Mine was the 3.6 DI loaded. I would have been very interested in stepping up to the V if it had the 400 (plus) V8 that was used in the Pontiac G8 GT and in the current Camaro. The problem with 556hp V is that it gets horrible gas mileage. Cadillac left a huge gap between the 306 hp and the 556 versions. I would have loved the other features of the V.

Point being that the 500+ hp sedans are for bragging rights, but I don't think they are needed, nor do they make sense with $4.00 gas. Lexus and now Hyundai have shown that you can have 400+ hp in a sedan and still get 25mpg on the highway. That makes a lot more sense to me than worrying about the M5 and AMG's.
Old 08-12-11, 08:53 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
Here is my take on it. I had a Cadillac CTS before my GS (the current generation CTS). Mine was the 3.6 DI loaded. I would have been very interested in stepping up to the V if it had the 400 (plus) V8 that was used in the Pontiac G8 GT and in the current Camaro. The problem with 556hp V is that it gets horrible gas mileage. Cadillac left a huge gap between the 306 hp and the 556 versions. I would have loved the other features of the V.

Point being that the 500+ hp sedans are for bragging rights, but I don't think they are needed, nor do they make sense with $4.00 gas. Lexus and now Hyundai have shown that you can have 400+ hp in a sedan and still get 25mpg on the highway. That makes a lot more sense to me than worrying about the M5 and AMG's.
IT IS about bragging rights, and not about making sense or gas mileage at all. Luxury cars in this price range is about excess much more than about making sense.
We don't want a GS-F that makes sense because of gas mileage. They already have a GSh to fill that role, the GS-F needs to fill another role for extreme performance, not a half way between F car that neither has very good gas mileage nor outstanding performance and gets walked over by it's 550 hp+ competition. That can actually be quite damaging to the 4GS and the "F" division of Lexus and they might as well not bother with a GS-F at all.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 08-12-11 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-12-11, 10:14 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
IT IS about bragging rights, and not about making sense or gas mileage at all. Luxury cars in this price range is about excess much more than about making sense.
We don't want a GS-F that makes sense because of gas mileage. They already have a GSh to fill that role, the GS-F needs to fill another role for extreme performance, not a half way between F car that neither has very good gas mileage nor outstanding performance and gets walked over by it's 550 hp+ competition. That can actually be quite damaging to the 4GS and the "F" division of Lexus and they might as well not bother with a GS-F at all.
Amen

GS h - tree huggers, ok fine, with some peformance to it.
GS F - fossil fuel burning, ozone depleting, in your face performance
Old 08-12-11, 10:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix

there is absolute no real need for a 300+hp car either. for what most people do, anything 250hp or lower should be more than enough.

and these cars are about bragging rights. yup they are faster, that's it. and people who can truly afford these cars they are more than capable to afford the gas. anyone sensible about gas won't be looking at these cars at all. i get asked too when i get my m3 when the 335i has so much power already. i have no problem with paying for the gas, and the fact that i get so much more fun driving the m3 over the few 335 (even modded) i have driven, that's enough reason for myself
Old 08-12-11, 10:46 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 468 Likes on 290 Posts

Every generation takes a year off production before the new generation is officially manufactured in mass. That's normal.

Isn't that what happened with the 1GS and 2GS? Even the LS models?

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)