GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-11, 10:52 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
IT IS about bragging rights, and not about making sense or gas mileage at all. Luxury cars in this price range is about excess much more than about making sense.
We don't want a GS-F that makes sense because of gas mileage. They already have a GSh to fill that role, the GS-F needs to fill another role for extreme performance, not a half way between F car that neither has very good gas mileage nor outstanding performance and gets walked over by it's 550 hp+ competition. That can actually be quite damaging to the 4GS and the "F" division of Lexus and they might as well not bother with a GS-F at all.
Agree 100%
Old 08-12-11, 12:30 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Amazing to think 500 is the new 300...
Old 08-12-11, 12:38 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike@Vossen
Amazing to think 500 is the new 300...
By the time a GS-F comes out , you may have to change that to 600
Old 08-12-11, 12:41 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

By the time a GS-F comes out , you may have to change that to 600
lol, hilarious....

What if it makes 495hp?
Old 08-12-11, 01:16 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike@Vossen
lol, hilarious....

What if it makes 495hp?
That would be quite dumb right ?
Marketing with hp should be just the opposite of marketing with price tags
Old 08-12-11, 01:27 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by designo
Every generation takes a year off production before the new generation is officially manufactured in mass. That's normal.

Isn't that what happened with the 1GS and 2GS? Even the LS models?
As far as I know... NO, not in the US Market...

I have never seen them skip a year, here in the USA..!!

Here is a pretty good Lexus Model Timeline by "The Lexus Enthusiast" site..

Joe Z
Old 08-12-11, 01:46 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

I got a problem when people quote you and don't read what you even said. Why would Lexus put the same engine from the IS-F in the GS-F and leave it at the same specification? IS WHAT I SAID. What I'm getting at is the IS-F engine already under achieves itself! If you read the rest of my comment you would understand what I was getting at. The engine was TONED DOWN! This has been stated before by Yamaha when the question of high revs was brought up in comparison to the V8 in the M3. They said that longevity was the key, not an 8000rpm redline. But it can be done, with the same engine. I gave the example of the LS460 TMG edition photo that was taken down. 9000rpm redline, exact size of the IS-F engine, producing over 600hp! There's no reason to think it'll be the exact same engine but not have different specifications to it. It's already been done!
Old 08-12-11, 02:56 PM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
The (IS F) engine was TONED DOWN! This has been stated before by Yamaha when the question of high revs was brought up in comparison to the V8 in the M3. They said that longevity was the key, not an 8000rpm redline.
I think there was also a second reason: avoiding the U.S. gas guzzler tax. Although a number of gas-guzzling Toyota and Lexus V8-powered trucks and SUVs avoid the tax because of laws favoring trucks, only two Japanese cars have been subject to the guzzler tax: the 1st-gen Infiniti Q45 and the Lexus LFA.

Lexus' willingness (or lack thereof) to subject a future GS F to the guzzler tax will certainly influence how powerful it is or isn't.
Old 08-12-11, 05:43 PM
designo
Pole Position

Received 468 Likes on 290 Posts

What about the rest of the world? Surely Lexus do not manufacture their vehicles to suit the US market only?

Take the GS460 for example, its rated @ 322hp in the Middle East and 342hp in the US. We do not have gas tax.
Old 08-12-11, 06:38 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

IT IS about bragging rights, and not about making sense or gas mileage at all. Luxury cars in this price range is about excess much more than about making sense.
We don't want a GS-F that makes sense because of gas mileage. They already have a GSh to fill that role, the GS-F needs to fill another role for extreme performance, not a half way between F car that neither has very good gas mileage nor outstanding performance and gets walked over by it's 550 hp+ competition. That can actually be quite damaging to the 4GS and the "F" division of Lexus and they might as well not bother with a GS-F at all.
Let me first say that I do understand your point. But the problem I have is that they are giving up the middle ground. I'd rather have 400 hp that offers reasonable range than 500 that is out of my price range in both purchase price and economy. It would be like BMW or MB offering the M or AMG, but not the 550 versions in between. And they do quite well selling their 550's. That's really all I'm saying - I want the 460 back, but not the neutered 460 they have been offering.

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Amen

GS h - tree huggers, ok fine, with some peformance to it.
GS F - fossil fuel burning, ozone depleting, in your face performance

Again, where is the middle ground? I have zero interest in a hybrid for the simple reason that the math simply doesn't work. The cost does not justify the means, and if they are anything like the current GS hybrid, they totally compromise luggage space.

BTW, I already have a "fossil fuel burning, ozone depleting, in your face performance...". It's a Z06 Corvette with 505 hp. I easily get 26mpg on the highway, and in three years of owning it I am averaging around 21. No, I didn't buy it for gas mileage, but having the economy, range per tank and still having a low 11 second 1/4 mile car isn't such a bad thing!
Originally Posted by rominl
there is absolute no real need for a 300+hp car either. for what most people do, anything 250hp or lower should be more than enough.

and these cars are about bragging rights. yup they are faster, that's it. and people who can truly afford these cars they are more than capable to afford the gas. anyone sensible about gas won't be looking at these cars at all. i get asked too when i get my m3 when the 335i has so much power already. i have no problem with paying for the gas, and the fact that i get so much more fun driving the m3 over the few 335 (even modded) i have driven, that's enough reason for myself
If you think 250 hp is enough good on you. I don't.
Old 08-12-11, 08:41 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

finally saw a covered up GS driving around my neighborhood.

It's got tidy proportions.
Old 08-12-11, 09:20 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Waiting the last 2 weeks is killing me!!! Come on 6 more days!!!!
Old 08-12-11, 10:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
Let me first say that I do understand your point. But the problem I have is that they are giving up the middle ground. I'd rather have 400 hp that offers reasonable range than 500 that is out of my price range in both purchase price and economy. It would be like BMW or MB offering the M or AMG, but not the 550 versions in between. And they do quite well selling their 550's. That's really all I'm saying - I want the 460 back, but not the neutered 460 they have been offering.

Again, where is the middle ground? I have zero interest in a hybrid for the simple reason that the math simply doesn't work. The cost does not justify the means, and if they are anything like the current GS hybrid, they totally compromise luggage space.

BTW, I already have a "fossil fuel burning, ozone depleting, in your face performance...". It's a Z06 Corvette with 505 hp. I easily get 26mpg on the highway, and in three years of owning it I am averaging around 21. No, I didn't buy it for gas mileage, but having the economy, range per tank and still having a low 11 second 1/4 mile car isn't such a bad thing!

If you think 250 hp is enough good on you. I don't.
they need to fill the middle ground, but not with a car having a gsf badge. lexus decides to drop the v8 (or so we heard so far) that's their problem, but that's not an excuse to drag down the gsf goal. they can make the hybrid pushing 380-400hp, that's perfect to fill the "normal v8" gap.
Old 08-13-11, 12:31 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought the GSh is filling the V8s place?

GS350

GSh **Middle ground**

GS-F
Old 08-13-11, 12:48 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by designo
What about the rest of the world? Surely Lexus do not manufacture their vehicles to suit the US market only?

Take the GS460 for example, its rated @ 322hp in the Middle East and 342hp in the US. We do not have gas tax.
EDIT: You are right.
For the GS460, most markets get the 1GR-FSE engine. For markets like ours, we just get the 1GR-FE engine. So yeah, the main difference lies in the presence or absence of Toyota D4-S direct injection

There is a 20 hp difference.

Btw
Lexus has a policy to not sell direct injection engines in certain markets due to fuel quality issues. Markets such as the GCC (Middle East), Philippines, Brunei and Indonesia are among those included.

This is the reason why get the IS 300 which can run even on ****-poor quality fuel.........and that's why we get that instead of the IS250/IS350 that everyone else gets.

Lexus doesn't want to tarnish its reputation if it sells direct injection engines in our markets then craps out when fed with dirty fuel. Lexus does not want to risk that.............hence why our markets don't get direct injection models.

Last edited by Blackraven; 08-13-11 at 01:06 AM.

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)