GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-11, 01:11 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 468 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
EDIT: You are right.
For the GS460, most markets get the 1GR-FSE engine. For markets like ours, we just get the 1GR-FE engine. So yeah, the main difference lies in the presence or absence of Toyota D4-S direct injection

There is a 20 hp difference.

Btw
Lexus has a policy to not sell direct injection engines in certain markets due to fuel quality issues. Markets such as the GCC (Middle East), Philippines, Brunei and Indonesia are among those included.

This is the reason why get the IS 300 which can run even on ****-poor quality fuel.........and that's why we get that instead of the IS250/IS350 that everyone else gets.

Lexus doesn't want to tarnish its reputation if it sells direct injection engines in our markets then craps out when fed with dirty fuel. Lexus does not want to risk that.............hence why our markets don't get direct injection models.

Exactly. So not to worry about power restrictions due to tax, you folks get all the HP's anyone has to offer! LOL

PS: Regarding the GS460, Middle East and ROW engine are the same! One has been detuned for marketing purposes.

Yes, the LS460 is the culprit in all this mess! Due to the DFI engines whereby the Middler East LS460's had to be detuned to cope with the sulfur content gas. Because of that, Lexus could not afford to have a GS that out performs it's flagship model.

All GS460's engines are EFI! Not DFI!
Old 08-13-11, 01:17 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by designo
Exactly. So not to worry about power restrictions due to tax, you folks get all the HP's anyone has to offer! LOL
Exactly.

Btw, I've driven my very first Lexus last month (IS300 with MMC facelift) and my god, it is fast. 0-120 km/h in mere seconds and even on a sharp downhill, the car stayed in contact with the road. That's what six cylinders does to you.

Sure, it's no IS350 (with its 300 horses and beyond) but this IS300 with around 220 horsepower is fast.....for a six-cylinder car that has NO DIRECT INJECTION.

Btw, the hierarchy is still the same in terms of power and performance output:
IS350>IS300>IS250

For Middle East markets and some Asian countries, our IS300 is still faster than the IS250 (even if the latter has direct injection).

It's still a good deal that we are getting so no worries at all

P.S.
I'm shocked that some of your neighboring markets (like Oman and Qatar) still sell the GS430. I.e. they are not selling the GS460 at all.

I wonder why is that.

I guess those markets are just a dumping ground for the last of the GS430 models.

Last edited by Blackraven; 08-13-11 at 01:22 AM.
Old 08-13-11, 01:59 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
I thought the GSh is filling the V8s place?

GS350

GSh **Middle ground**

GS-F
I can't answer the question, but it would be interesting to see how the Infiniti M hybrid is doing. Typically these cars are overpriced.

I have a hard time agreeing that Lexus needs a 500 hp halo sedan. But if ya'll are interested I certainly don't blame you nor would I blame Lexus for building it - and I'm okay with a 400hp version not being an F if it offers a sport suspension.

Maybe I missed it - but how many of you are seriously interested in buying an F? And keep in mind that if it has the 500 + hp engine ya'll want to compete with BMW and M-B, it's going to be a $90,000 car.
Old 08-13-11, 05:00 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
Waiting the last 2 weeks is killing me!!! Come on 6 more days!!!!
It's killing me too...just 5 more days...next generation GS should be awesome...
Old 08-13-11, 06:04 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
I have a hard time agreeing that Lexus needs a 500 hp halo sedan. But if ya'll are interested I certainly don't blame you nor would I blame Lexus for building it - and I'm okay with a 400hp version not being an F if it offers a sport suspension.
The upcoming GS-F should be exactly what you are looking for........a bigger IS-F with decent gas mileage.

Maybe I missed it - but how many of you are seriously interested in buying an F? And keep in mind that if it has the 500 + hp engine ya'll want to compete with BMW and M-B, it's going to be a $90,000 car.
A GS-F or LS-F could very likely be my future car that can replace my LS430.

Someone is always complaining about something. My prediction is Lexus will make a 465 hp GS-F for $80k, then they will say the HP is too low. When/if Lexus make a 500+ hp GS-F with a $100k+ MSRP and average 13 MPG just like the German's offerings, those same people that keep saying they wish Lexus do that would complain about it being too expensive with too low of MPG.

BMW corporate have said, folks in the U.S. keep saying they want a manual tranny car, and when they offer it, very few people buy one
Old 08-13-11, 06:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

I can't answer the question, but it would be interesting to see how the Infiniti M hybrid is doing. Typically these cars are overpriced.

it depends on how good they make it. i have a m3, i considered the isf but it's not the car for me. however i love that lexus got in the segment.

i do want to get the new m5, but i also want to see what lexus has to offer
Old 08-13-11, 06:55 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
it depends on how good they make it. i have a m3, i considered the isf but it's not the car for me. however i love that lexus got in the segment.

i do want to get the new m5, but i also want to see what lexus has to offer
Yeah, and imho, it will serve as a performance benchmark or showcase for the Lexus brand (in the sport/performance aspect).
Old 08-13-11, 07:35 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Lexus will surprise everyone with the GS-F, if they make it.
Old 08-14-11, 10:20 AM
iggyhop9
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm seriously interested in buying an F. The 4GSh and 350 mean nothing to me really. I'm only interested in an F model. If there is no GS-F, I'll look at the next gen IS-F. If it isn't offered or I'm not feeling it, I'll look forward to the Audi S7. I really would prefer a Lexus product though. Also not related, but I'm eagerly waiting for that Toyota FT-86, which should spawn a Lexus model. Anyway I look at it, I'm looking to get two new vehicles out of this whole ordeal.

Last edited by iggyhop9; 08-14-11 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-14-11, 10:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
I think Lexus will surprise everyone with the GS-F, if they make it.
well since you think this i guess not 'everyone' will be surprised then.

we keep talking about F models, and lexus has had only ONE that was an internal skunkworks project (not in lexus roadmap until a small group made one). yes there's now an LFA but that's in a different league entirely (and while i LOVE the LFA, i still think it was a giant mistake and waste of time for Lexus to do).

lexus has to get the 4GS on the market, and hybrid, get the kinks worked out, and making/engineering a 4GS-F will be time-consuming and expen$ive with only a marketing halo benefit (it will likely sell in tiny numbers and lose money).

if we see a GS-F, i woudn't be surprised if it's not available until mid-2013 at least.
Old 08-14-11, 11:04 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone else notice how similar the fog lights are to the ones on the LX?

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)-tyt5y.jpg
Old 08-14-11, 11:12 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
lexus has to get the 4GS on the market, and hybrid, get the kinks worked out, and making/engineering a 4GS-F will be time-consuming and expen$ive with only a marketing halo benefit (it will likely sell in tiny numbers and lose money).
It won't be time-consuming or expensive since everything will be carry over from the IS-F, they just have to make some new body panels. Same engine, tranny, diffs, brakes, suspension, same same same........etc. Just like how most mechanical components are interchangable between the IS350 and GS350, it will be the same with the IS-F and GS-F.

That's why I firmly believe it will be nothing new or different from the IS-F, because they are not gonna to spend time or money on any brand new bits on a low volume seller.

Just look at the AMG C/E/S 63.........same identical mechanical shared.

You guys who lives in fantasy land that won't believe the GS-F will have the same engine as the IS-F.................wait til the LS-F comes out.......guess what, same engine again.....LOL.

Last edited by BNR34; 08-14-11 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-14-11, 12:03 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

I'd **** bricks if Lexus ever made an LS-F Hybrid.

It's like the current LS600hL MINUS that fugly-*** hybrid front grille and they just transplant the body kits and parts from the LS Vertex Edition.

Holy **** man
Old 08-14-11, 12:09 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is they do decide to do a LS-F, I hope its not gonna be a Hybrid.
Old 08-14-11, 02:49 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
well since you think this i guess not 'everyone' will be surprised then.

we keep talking about F models, and lexus has had only ONE that was an internal skunkworks project (not in lexus roadmap until a small group made one). yes there's now an LFA but that's in a different league entirely (and while i LOVE the LFA, i still think it was a giant mistake and waste of time for Lexus to do).

if we see a GS-F, i woudn't be surprised if it's not available until mid-2013 at least.
I agree with you. Lexus would have got far more mileage out of the investment if they had made a 911 competitor at an LS price point. The LFA is an amazing car which does little for Lexus brand equity except among enthusiasts.

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)