GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-10, 12:27 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
This topic has been kicked around a few times already, and Lexus even directly said that the V10 engine is bespoke to the LFA. I think I also remember hearing that the engine is about 1/3 the cost of the entire car, so I can't see this being feasible for something like a GSF unless they price it into the atmosphere or take a loss on each one.

Plus, as much as I would love to see this engine in something more accessible, like a GSF, I think they will have more luck getting a competitive horsepower/torque number with a forced induction V8.
Yup

If and only if a GS F is really in the works Lexus will probably just make a forced induction V8. If they were to go the V10 root they'd probably develop one from scratch that can be mass produced.

Either way the engine has to produce over 500hp but at the same time probably less than the 552hp the LFA has since the LFA is the current F flagship.

Anyway such an engine could be shared with an SC F and LS F, so it would be somewhat economical since the costs could be spread over the 3 model lines.

Oh and one more thing. Very few of the competition is even V10 anymore. I think right now only the RS6 is a V10 and that will soon also be a turbo V8 like the M5 and XFR. So right now would be a good time for a turbo V8.
Old 02-24-10, 12:28 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
you can not trust anything that UK mags write, so probably not accurate at all ;-)
Haha

I was actually thinking about the fact that the CT has nickel batteries, when I was reading the article. It's probably all wrong.
Old 02-24-10, 12:44 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Enter Rumormill: Rear-drive Hybrid Lexus IS, V10-powered GS F on the way?

Rumormill: Rear-drive Hybrid Lexus IS, V10-powered GS F on the way?

It looks like Lexus is planning to go to both extremes on the green-performance continuum. When the next-generation IS appears in a couple of years, it will likely add a hybrid powertrain option. Such a move would be in keeping with Toyota's oft-stated commitment to having hybrid drive available in almost all of its platforms by the end of the decade. The IS hybrid may also spawn a new rear-drive hybrid sports car around the same time. If these IS based hybrids are consistent with the current GS450h they will definitely be biased more towards performance than efficiency, using the hybrid drive to enhance acceleration without consuming more gas. Meanwhile, the GS – as rumored previously – could be setting its sites on the new BMW M5 and Cadillac CTS-V. Even though only 500 LF-As will be built, the 4.8-liter V10 may find its way into a much-rumored new GS-F model. The GS-F won't arrive until 2013 so it should be based on the next generation sedan. In the LF-A, the V10 has the power to compete with the German and American models but falls short of the Cadillac's torque. If the new M5 gets the uprated 4.4-liter twin-turbo V8 from the X5/X6 M, it would also be way ahead of the Lexus. Unless the Lexus engine gets boosted or the GS looses a lot of weight, this could be the only high-revving sports sedan of the pack left.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/24/r...gs-f-on-the-w/

I can believe the IS hybrid rumor, but I'm still having a problem believing a V10 will find it's way into the GS-F.

Last edited by Hoovey689; 02-24-10 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-24-10, 12:47 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

every time I turn on CNN they are making it look more and more grim
Old 02-24-10, 12:48 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

is this mean GSF will cost 150k?
Old 02-24-10, 01:00 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
every time I turn on CNN they are making it look more and more grim
whatdya mean?
Old 02-24-10, 02:05 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

This article is bogus. There is NO WAY the GS-F gets the same V10 as the LFA. It might get a new V10 using related technologies, but the LFA V10 is far too expensive for the GS-F.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It is not getting the LFA V10. It will get the trick diff.

The next m5 will gave the tt v8 used in the suv m things.
Is only the GS-F getting the trick diff, or will the regular GS get it as well?
Old 02-24-10, 02:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

if it's gsf related, continue, otherwise any OT posts will be removed
Old 02-24-10, 02:22 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah for some reason, I highly doubt the GS-F would get the LF-A V10. If anything, it would be some super tuned V8 Hybrid or something of that sorts... Remember, Lexus still cares a lot more about luxury/technology over pure speed/muscle. I don't think they will stray too far just to keep up with the niche market that BMW's M and MB's AMG has, at least not yet anyways.
Old 02-24-10, 02:28 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Moderator note: threads merged

Hoovey2411's post on the Autoblog story which is also about the LFA V10 for GS-F is now part of this thread. Please help us stay on topic, thanks.
Old 02-24-10, 04:28 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
This article is bogus. There is NO WAY the GS-F gets the same V10 as the LFA. It might get a new V10 using related technologies, but the LFA V10 is far too expensive for the GS-F.

Is only the GS-F getting the trick diff, or will the regular GS get it as well?
From my "understanding" it will be available on other models.

The media is all doing the same thing. Not reading and then assuming b/c the LFA has a V-10 it will go in other cars b/c that is what Audi did. They completely forget the LFA V-10 is another animal. I mean the SOUND was made just for the LFA for goodness sakes.

If there is a GS-F I can't see it having 450hp. 500hp is pretty much the average bar in class. Not sure what the next S6 will have.

S6-450hp
E63-500hp+
XFR-500hp+
M5-500hp+
CTS-V-550hp+

The ONLY other approach is Lexus offers F-models with less hp then maybe F "R" models with more power or/and lighter weight. But hell I don't believe what I just wrote.

My bet....who knows maybe the GS-F will get F1. Maybe it will be a hybrid? Maybe it will have lower weight (this class has gotten so much heavier its ridiculous). As of now the 5.0 in the IS-F in the GS-F would need a substantial bump. Maybe bored and stroked to 5.5 liters?

Finally don't forget those other cars get awful MPG and gas guzzler taxes. Lexus WILL NOT go that route.

Old 02-24-10, 04:32 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the info .
Old 02-24-10, 04:59 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by J.P.
Consider the porsche panamera s at 100k, maybe Lexus can pull it off with 450hp with that sick v10
Granted. But the panamera does not exactly compete with the M5/E3/RS6 IMO, not to mention the Porsche badge costs more than most average family sedans.

Originally Posted by STIG
I'd get one if that V10 remotely sounds like the LFA's V10. I could care less about M5 having 20 billion horsepowers.
Fair enough; It'd suck to have all that nice sound and not go anywhere though. Consider that the IS-F already makes about 417hp.

C'mon Lexus. 3600lbs, 515hp with an orgasmic exhaust note. Rakish, aggressive, sexy looks (in and out), torque vectoring rwd sports car like handling and rock solid build quality & reliability. $85k. You can do it.

Set the bar for the next IS-F to weigh <3400lbs!
Old 02-24-10, 05:32 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

I hope the GS-F wont be more expensive than an M5 or RS6.

I can't wait for the SC
Old 02-24-10, 05:37 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll believe in this GS-F when I see it. I certainly doubt the engine will be a detuned LFA motor.
What's all this talk about 450 hp not being enough?
The current GS350 has 300 hp and it seems plenty to me. If the GS350 had better suspension, weight balance and tranny it would be a really cool ride. Power is not the end-all-do-all in performance. You guys act like you're gonna track a GS. Please.

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)