GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-11, 06:30 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
I admired his persistence too, just refused to agreed regardless of how blindingly true it is

You think he is a lawyer?
When we have better pics from more angles, as well as real world shots and driving footage I'm sure you'll see that the resemblance is only family resemblance. The grill as well as much of the surfaces on the hood and fender are implemented differently. You're not looking at it properly if you think this is merely a CTh front end grafted onto the body of a large sedan. I was among the first to suggest this car was just a sedan with a CT front end back when we only had blurry spy shots but it's clear now that it isn't.

If anything these pics confirm just how close to the concept this car is. We all know how the surfaces on the concept look with professional photography. The changes I can see are the toned down grill and foglights as well as the slightly larger headlights and less pronounced wheel wells, which were all expected.

The surfacing and lines on the side, as well as the hood and fenders are all pretty much in tact, and the proportions haven't changed either considering the concept had the production interior.

The only thing that really bothers me again is the chrome "fangs" around the upper part of the grill. That is a very stupid design decision and they should have just kept it similar to what was on the concept and on the CT. But who knows maybe with the higher trim level models the chrome will actually continue and surround the entire grill.

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 08-16-11 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-16-11, 06:35 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Indeed but I still have hope for the 4GS. I tell myself that it's low res pictures, it's not real, it could be a Chinese knockoff....

P.S
Plus, what we are seeing is an awd model. Perhaps a slightly lower RWD model with 19's, may change a thing or two
LOL but i keep telling myself the same thing
Old 08-16-11, 06:49 PM
ypnadkar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This would look really good as a Camry. At least in these pictures it does not look like a premium sedan. As boring as the A4/A6/A8 are, they look way more upscale than Lexus as do pretty much every other car in that category. Heck even the Kia optima looks more upscale than this. I am hoping press release photo's would make things a bit better but i don't expect much. It is slab sided and it still retains the awful shoulder line that dips towards the rear wheel almost like someone could not draw a straight line. It looks terrible on the concept and looks even worse here. The tail lights are ok, but the front is not so good. The grill on the CT looks way better than this. It looks unfinished here. The interior from the pics so far looks pretty good, but that will not sell the car by itself. The 2nd gen GS was a good looking car, the 3rd gen was actually a very nicely done car except for the slightly thick backend. But it looked like a premium sedan. Conservative but very handsome. This one is neither handsome nor extravagant.

I agree with whoever said it, Lexus needs to get themselves a good designer. Humpries might do well just designing Toyota's but Lexus needs to step up. If this is any indication the next IS, ES and LS are going to look as bad or worse.
Old 08-16-11, 06:49 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

I have to say I'm not too crazy about it. "Boring" is the word that comes to mind. This should've looked like the concept, then we'd have something going. When the 3GS first appeared, I was like "wow!". Not so here.

At least it's not ugly. It just needs to be much more in this segment.

Looking at the rear end, there's 2 Hyundai's that quickly come to mind. Of course they're not identical, but there is that resemblance. Problem here is, I'd take the Hyundai's!

Here's another comparison...

Old 08-16-11, 06:51 PM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Needs a front lip.
Old 08-16-11, 06:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,438 Likes on 1,598 Posts

about these pics, i wonder why the background is all blurred out?

anyway, a bunch of if's... hopefully addressed positively on the 18th.

but now i've had chance to look at them again, if they're accurate, and unless the angles/camera managed to make it look as bad as possible, then this car is not great looking.

if that front wheel gap is going to be 'normal', that is simply unforgivable in a car this expensive.

the 'kink' in the metal on the rear door around the handle is quite odd. why not just make it curve around?

and this, to me, looks TERRIBLE. i know the concept pic looks WORLDS better more narrow top wide bottom and planted, this looks plain, poorly proportioned, and uninspiring.
and those exhaust tip covers - ugh.

anyway, HOPING the reveal on the 18th looks a lot better.
Old 08-16-11, 06:56 PM
Nick2JZ
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

now let try to find interior picture
Old 08-16-11, 06:57 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

The HS actually does not look that bad, now that big brothers start to look more like it
Old 08-16-11, 06:57 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Old 08-16-11, 06:59 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
about these pics, i wonder why the background is all blurred out?
I guess they just don't want to reveal the location where the leak has occurred.
Old 08-16-11, 07:01 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

based on the leaked pics, i'm underwhelmed. if lexus wants me to change my 3GS to 4GS, they are gonna have to do a better job. nothing about the exterior styling screams "i want that now!" imho. maybe if aftermarket jdm manufacturers come out with a really awesome kit that makes the 4GS look real good.... but i reserve the right to change my comments after i've seen the pebble beach high res pics and see the 4GS up close and personal.
Old 08-16-11, 07:04 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Stormforge
based on the leaked pics, i'm underwhelmed. if lexus wants me to change my 3GS to 4GS, they are gonna have to do a better job. nothing about the exterior styling screams "i want that now!" imho. maybe if aftermarket jdm manufacturers come out with a really awesome kit that makes the 4GS look real good.... but i reserve the right to change my comments after i've seen the pebble beach high res pics and see the 4GS up close and personal.
especially if they want to bring some of the german crowd on their side.
Old 08-16-11, 07:05 PM
R1R
Driver

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Like I've said in my post, looking at BMW 5 or MB E Class, the cars just dont look like anything on the road (yet). Even the Infiniti M, it may look like an oversized G, but at least it does not resemble the Hundai lol.
One thing I like about the M, 5-Series, and XF is that their designs look sculpted from front to back, and are very cohesive.

They look like one single designer imagined the design and went all the way with it.

Old 08-16-11, 07:11 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Somebody write me a check for whatever this is going to cost... Or just write me a check for $100k, I'll return the change after I buy this

Old 08-16-11, 07:12 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by DrRick
ummmm....pass
I love it. I'll take it as a GS F variant in Ultra Sonic Blue...

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)