GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-11, 06:18 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

Those wheels are terrible.
Old 08-17-11, 06:28 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have mixed feelings. The overall appearance in the photos looks good to me except for two things: the interior and the front.

The interior is "too edgy and sporty" and in my opinion totally not in character with the rather elegant and tame GS. That cabin design would suit an LF-A better than a GS. The current GS cabin is conservative, yet elegant and also somewhat futuristic. This cockpit is, well, "hardcore". I've already said that it looks too edgy and sporty, two traits which the GS wasn't known for, especially the "edgy" aspect. The design of the cabin is to "loud". I miss the simplicity and elegance of the current GS cabin.

The front of the car is probably the biggest external design 'weakness' because there are some strong similarities to the CT200h. The CT200h is a good-looking car, but I don't feel that its front fascia translates well on this design. In short: it looks out of place on this car.

But maybe the car will look better in person.
Old 08-17-11, 06:35 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Lexuslvr91
I would however bet on the refreshed Sonata to utilize the Korean spec Sonata tail lights. Those feature LED details:
7903273223_1102421972_1301066_6133299_n.jpg[/IMG]
Good for them. This thread is about a Lexus mid-size luxury sport sedan. I'm not buying a Sonata. Ever

Originally Posted by Pitman
Damn, that's an ugly car. The E-Class & the F10 still reign in the mid level luxury category.
Really, so unoriginal, familiar and square with squiggly lines rule style? Now in regards to sales, they will always rain supreme.

Originally Posted by Pitman
So if you think the 4GS is unattractive, which it clearly is, you’re being senseless. But if you have some positive comments about this monstrosity, you’re being unbiased, and intelligent. Oh

The reason why people salivate over the 5-series isn't because of German fanboy-ism, it’s because BMW delivered a gorgeous machine. Yes they stepped out of the box with the E60, and they were vilified. The design team heard our cries (yes I was one of them) and went back to the design that A) works & B) everyone loves. The F10 is simple, but in most cases simple is effective. Maybe Lexus should take note of this.

Yes, this is ClubLexus so the favoritism towards all things Lexus is expected. What's not expected is the board elitist (Ha board elitist, that made me chuckle) crying because the general census of this car is unfavorable.
Nice personal attack.

No, that is not the summary. The summary is people on the "jump to conclusions matt" looking at some grainy high riding white AWD GS and going bonkers. This is sadly another response I find dull and only trying to incite flames and bait people (me in particular) and I'm not biting. I mean no offense but in your sig you drive a car that knocked off the GS styling but looks far worse so you should maybe relax.

Did you even state the points where I agree and said where the GS needs work? Nope. Instead its another post that is not balanced and only made to disagree and incite flames on a Lexus forum.

In regards to the 5 series did it ever occur to you that maybe, just maybe it also sells on other merits? Its obvious no matter what it looks like, from Bangle to Bland, it sells. People love it and rightfully so, it is IMO the standard in class.

The GS has its work cut out for it since the M37/56 is now the new Q45, a complete flop and Acura debuted the RL before both the GS and M and it still is the old bodystyle. Contrarily the A6 might be best in class according to some and the E/5 are dominating sales. It doesn't help the GS that the other 2 Japanese sedan are flops.

Originally Posted by MR_F1
People are crying because judgment is being passed on grainy, low res distorted pics.
How this huge detail is missed is amazing to me.

Last edited by LexFather; 08-17-11 at 06:38 AM.

Old 08-17-11, 07:09 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
Oh my GOD. You guys all got fooled by this Chinese SH*@%#^t. This is NOT the real 4GS. It is photoshopped people.

One more day and hopefully this site won't crash......
I'm with you buddy.. I don't think Lexus wants to copy Honda... LOL
Old 08-17-11, 07:17 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

how about waiting for the debut tomorrow instead of everyone jumping on the conclusions mat
Old 08-17-11, 07:25 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing that concerns me, and hopefully just it's the lightinging, LQ pic, and color of the car, but I don't see the muscular fender flares that the LF-Gh had. Looking at the front 3/4 pic below, I unfortunately see little definition over the rear wheels and that is quite concerning to me.

There is hope, I think. From these pictures of the test mules, I feel like I might see more pronounced fender flares over the wheels even through the camo, but I cannot tell if that's just the camo/shadow/sunlight or the car.

Though camoflaged, the lines in the front end do look a little more muscular here:

All in all, I thought the LF-Gh was a pretty weak effort for a concept car: nice clean lines, conservative but handsome side flanks, good proportions, tidy and well done rear end, and then that garish front end. Aside from the front end, I thought it was a very logical, safe progression for the next gen Lexus sedan. Why is that a problem? Well, Lexus really built the LF-Gh up by saying that it was the first car to bare the second generation L-Finesse design, a glimpse of things to come, etc and I think many of us unfortunately thought, "Oh..well...ok...hmm..." when the car was actually revealed. It was nice, but not what many of us were expecting for the "game-changing", future pointing concept sedan that Lexus hinted at.

The one redeeming quality in the LF-Gh (IMO) was the very pronounced, muscular wheel arches that gave the otherwise very simple design some much needed aggression. I was thinking that for production 4GS, a similarly clean body with those sculpted fender flares could turn out nice as long as the other details - wheels, front end, rear end - had some personality and aggression. Not exactly what I would have wanted to see for the 4GS, but I tried to look at the LF-Gh, draw some rational conclusions, and hope for the best.

As mentioned before...I'll wait to see the press reveal pics before giving final judgement.
Old 08-17-11, 08:33 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Of all the things people are praising/complaining about, I just have one ONE single niggle about the design: I miss the quad headlights.
Old 08-17-11, 08:39 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,358 Posts

So who from our membership is actually going to the launch in person?

I'd like to feature some 'live reporting' in our new 4GS forum if you have mobile access there on your observations.
Old 08-17-11, 08:44 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Design is disappointing.
Especially the wheels and front design.
Old 08-17-11, 08:46 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Of all the things people are praising/complaining about, I just have one ONE single niggle about the design: I miss the quad headlights.
I agree, that's an excellent way to distinguish the GS from the IS/ES/LS sedans even if they want to share the same design language among their sedans, bad move by Lexus ......
Old 08-17-11, 08:59 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Indeed but I still have hope for the 4GS. I tell myself that it's low res pictures, it's not real, it could be a Chinese knockoff....
Yes it is all in your head, I am just making myself think that the F10 M5 is actually a GS-F that cost nothing, reliable and long lasting like a LS400, that would be just about perfect
Old 08-17-11, 09:00 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I agree, that's an excellent way to distinguish the GS from the IS/ES/LS sedans even if they want to share the same design language among their sedans, bad move by Lexus ......
+1. I was actually hoping that they would pay homage to it in the actual design of the light itself if not actual quads, you know, maybe LS600h style, just with 2 per headlamp instead of 3 to make it in essence quad headlamps. No such luck
Old 08-17-11, 09:05 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
When we have better pics from more angles, as well as real world shots and driving footage I'm sure you'll see that the resemblance is only family resemblance. The grill as well as much of the surfaces on the hood and fender are implemented differently. You're not looking at it properly if you think this is merely a CTh front end grafted onto the body of a large sedan. I was among the first to suggest this car was just a sedan with a CT front end back when we only had blurry spy shots but it's clear now that it isn't.

If anything these pics confirm just how close to the concept this car is. We all know how the surfaces on the concept look with professional photography. The changes I can see are the toned down grill and foglights as well as the slightly larger headlights and less pronounced wheel wells, which were all expected.

The surfacing and lines on the side, as well as the hood and fenders are all pretty much in tact, and the proportions haven't changed either considering the concept had the production interior.
I appreciate your optimism, boy we sure do need more thinking like yours.
Old 08-17-11, 09:08 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I also think that quad headlights is what made the GS sort of unique in a way. Now it's just going to look like the rest of the lineup..... I'm not saying it's a bad thing, the time will tell. It's just, there was always a significant difference between ES and GS. Yes, we have not seen the ES yet, but something tells me that it will look like the rest of the lineup as well. I just don't want the GS to get lost in the middle, between the ES and LS again
Old 08-17-11, 09:10 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
with lights on

Nice PS job! The full front is the only angle so far that I find "acceptable" (and Lexus marketing was smart (or self-aware enough?) to show off this angle in the teaser pic). The rest are just saddening, especially that Hyundai rear end that manages to look worse than a real Hyundai (IMO). The concept car's rear at least had some interesting details that helped set it apart from the Hyundai; the production car has none of these details. Am only hoping the official pics will look a lot better now....

Last edited by ydooby; 08-17-11 at 09:46 AM.

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)