GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-11 | 12:18 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
CVTs arent that bad, at least in my RX. the sound they make...yeah, but in terms of feeling, I dont even notice there arent any gears
Yes like I said, CVTs in Lexus's hybrid are not bad at all, they just feels a little vague, but not bad at all, I would seriously consider owning one in the future.

Now go try the CVTs in econoboxes like a Mitsubishi Lancer, those are nauseating. They call it the motor boating effect, you give it throttle, hear a lot of harsh noises, but no sense of accelerations until like 4 seconds later. And the rate of acceleration have no direct correlation to the rpm going up and down, that's nauseating, like driving a boat.
Old 08-17-11 | 12:19 PM
mikesm
Rookie

I don't think the leaked pics are real. It looks like someone used photoshop on a 2nd Gen GS (which I like - I still drive the 1999 GS400!) with a CT frontend and faked the rear too.

If this is the real 4GS, I will be very disappointed, but I don't think this quackery should be mistaken for the real thing. let's wait for the real thing before jumping on Lexus for making poor design choices.

I think we will be really pleased with what is shown in Pebble Beach.
Old 08-17-11 | 12:33 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 100000

Not sure if it's a good or bad thing but when I see these bad pictures, I'm not that shocked anymore. If Lexus is not going to commit to the GS, just stop making it.

I'm still getting people asking me what year my GS is and whether I want to sell her. Always held out because I'm too tall for the IS and NYC streets is no place to park a 460 or 600h. The GS is my vehicle; we dance together so well. Was disappointed that Lexus got lazy in 2001 and didn't up the hp but the nav and the steering wheel made me overlook that. I couldn't tell the difference between the 3GS and the new ES/IS from a block away anymore and then read about the rattle issues so figured I'd just hold on to my baby even though she was past her prime.

I don't lease so German is out for me. Audi's are gorgeous to look at but there is no justification in the price imo. Been with Hyundai twice and will punch you in the face if you offer me one in person. Infiniti is well, Nissan.

Well Gracie, I guess you and I were made for one another. I turn the corner and see you sitting there proudly, low and wide and you still cause certain feelings in me. Knowing you will start when I ask you, dance as I command you to and fly when you have the opportunity. You don't ask for much of my time but I want to give you more.

You're my baby and I appreciate you for being you.

But if Lexus stop playing around and gets serious again; I'll made sure to find you a good home
Old 08-17-11 | 01:36 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

I was really hoping Lexus would bring it back with the 4GS. Having seen this spy shots, I'm disappointed as well.

The production version lost all of the clean, subtle and sharp lines. It looks bland to me and the front end is just a mess. Lexus should have just kept the crazy polarizing concept front and and at least made some people happy rather than watering it down and disappointing everyone.

Like many of you on the forum, I've always thought the quad headlights and tail lights the signature look of the GS. When Lexus did away with in with the 3GS, I thought it was a mistake.

Look at Mercedes, they kept the quad headlights for the latest E-class redesign.
Old 08-17-11 | 02:52 PM
Rash
hmm

Those Asian spy pictures (I'm saying Asian because not sure what language is that in the copyright, is it Chinese?) always makes it look ugly. I remember the 2011 IS had the same quality of pictures from the same source, and everyone said it looked ugly, and look at now.
Old 08-17-11 | 02:57 PM
jjbenzo
Advanced

You can add me to the list of people who are disapointed with the looks of the new GS. I really had my hopes up a new beginning of great looking cars from Lexus. Wrong again. This new GS is so bland. It seems better suited as the next gen. ES. I guess I dont understand how Lexus thinks this is some bold design. It has no originality to it, and nothing says "bold." It looks like a lazy cross between LS and IS. It would have been great to see an evolution of the 2nd gen GS show up. I wish Lexus and Toyota would get their act together. Their products have gone down the tubes over the past 10 years. The new Yaris is awful, the new Tacoma looks the same as the outgoing Tacoma (minus a new bumper and grille), and the new Camry loooks way too similar to the current model. So be it. I will always love the looks of my 2nd gen. GS430 and my Supra, but this is it for me and Toyota (looking forward to seeing the freshened Land Cruiser still though). Next vehicles will end up being another automaker I'm sure. I think the freshened 2012 Jaguar XFR is looking pretty good.

Last edited by jjbenzo; 08-17-11 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-17-11 | 02:57 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bruce van
I was really hoping Lexus would bring it back with the 4GS. Having seen this spy shots, I'm disappointed as well.

The production version lost all of the clean, subtle and sharp lines. It looks bland to me and the front end is just a mess. Lexus should have just kept the crazy polarizing concept front and and at least made some people happy rather than watering it down and disappointing everyone.

Like many of you on the forum, I've always thought the quad headlights and tail lights the signature look of the GS. When Lexus did away with in with the 3GS, I thought it was a mistake.

Look at Mercedes, they kept the quad headlights for the latest E-class redesign.
I feel you on the Quad light set up on the GS cars. I think it worked well with their design. I'm not sure that I'd say that they went away from it on the 3 GS though. Even the tails have the quad set up, just differently executed.

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
I don't lease so German is out for me. Audi's are gorgeous to look at but there is no justification in the price imo.
As an Audi fan, I too think they they need to adjust their pricing/packaging for the U.S. I realize that in Europe they are held in the same regard as BMW and MB but here in the states they have just gotten there over the past decade. And are still fighting for their share of the market. For the most part price wise it's MB then BMW then Audi followed by Lexus and quite honestly I think they should be priced along side Lexus if not slightly less. It would only help them IMO. Especially if they are serious about their conquest of the luxe car market. There is absolutely no reason for the A5 to be priced the way it is. Great looking car inside and out but the pricing is a bit ambitious for what's offered.

Been with Hyundai twice and will punch you in the face if you offer me one in person. Infiniti is well, Nissan.
LMAO So I take you're not the least bit interested in their renaissance and latest offerings. Was ownership that bad?....As for Infiniti, they truly need a flagship car. It's sad what happened to the Q, The G has been a great product for them and I thought more of that would carry over to their M class. I just think their marketing department needs to be fired as they are not getting the job done.

I really hope the next GS improves on what the current GS set out to do. It is a damn good looking car that somehow got lost along the way. I'm not exactly sure why either. I think most 2GS owners, such as yourself just didn't connect with the current body style. And 5 series fans don't see enough performance to make the jump to Lexus, in addition to them being some of the most loyal core of owners. It's like a cult over in those GS forums. If it doesn't have the blue and white roundel it simply doesn't count and that even goes for the other German executive class cars.
Old 08-17-11 | 02:59 PM
RXSF

I think the quad look will and always be remembered as an E class thing, and the GS has always been seen as a copy cat. That may be why they want to leave that design behind
Old 08-17-11 | 03:06 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

I've seen enough now to know that this design is not what I was hoping for. We may not be able to see all the detailing yet but we do know what the overall shape and silhouette is. And that's where it breaks down for me. I really like the stretched, long, low profile of the 3GS and that's all gone here in favor of a tall, blocky shape that almost looks old BMW.
Old 08-17-11 | 03:13 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

I think the quad look will and always be remembered as an E class thing, and the GS has always been seen as a copy cat. That may be why they want to leave that design behind
You make a good point. I could see that as being a possible reason. It raises the question now of why did they go away from the rectangular quad set up on the GS, that MB is now using in their current E, which obviously debuted almost 5 years later. The bubble eye look evolved to the angular headlamps in both competitors with Lexus doing it first and now dropping it.
Old 08-17-11 | 03:18 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

the E class is far from being the first car with quad headlights, we have had a discussion about this here a long time ago ......
Old 08-17-11 | 04:16 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
the E class is far from being the first car with quad headlights, we have had a discussion about this here a long time ago ......
Dude the E-class copied the Sonata.
Old 08-17-11 | 04:21 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Not sure if it's a good or bad thing but when I see these bad pictures, I'm not that shocked anymore. If Lexus is not going to commit to the GS, just stop making it.

I'm still getting people asking me what year my GS is and whether I want to sell her. Always held out because I'm too tall for the IS and NYC streets is no place to park a 460 or 600h. The GS is my vehicle; we dance together so well. Was disappointed that Lexus got lazy in 2001 and didn't up the hp but the nav and the steering wheel made me overlook that. I couldn't tell the difference between the 3GS and the new ES/IS from a block away anymore and then read about the rattle issues so figured I'd just hold on to my baby even though she was past her prime.

I don't lease so German is out for me. Audi's are gorgeous to look at but there is no justification in the price imo. Been with Hyundai twice and will punch you in the face if you offer me one in person. Infiniti is well, Nissan.

Well Gracie, I guess you and I were made for one another. I turn the corner and see you sitting there proudly, low and wide and you still cause certain feelings in me. Knowing you will start when I ask you, dance as I command you to and fly when you have the opportunity. You don't ask for much of my time but I want to give you more.

You're my baby and I appreciate you for being you.

But if Lexus stop playing around and gets serious again; I'll made sure to find you a good home

But, Papi, I'm never trading mine in. I'm going to drive it 'til it drops. When I get my next car (hoping Lexus, likely M3 first, then BACK to Lexus), my 2001 black cherry 2GS will just be my 'beater'. I'm married to my 2GS until she's all driven out... :
Old 08-17-11 | 04:40 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by rominl
by comparison, i would rather have gears than cvt. i still can't get over the funny feeling driving the 450h and 600hl
spend enough time in a hybrid, you'll get used to it (eventually)
Old 08-17-11 | 04:47 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Dude the E-class copied the Sonata.
it was the celica that started it. bentley continental gt copied the celica 15 years later.

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)