GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-10, 02:17 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by (Cj)
I know that, but wasn't the diesel IS220d's power train also initially only for the FWD Avensis before they added it to the IS line? All they would have to do is mount the 1.8L engine longitudinally instead of transversally in order to have an entry level IS200h.
a hybrid powertrain is not a diesel engine and transmission.
Old 02-25-10, 03:21 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Among these rumors is a claim that the CTh gets li-ion batteries but the leaked brochure says otherwise.
Old 02-25-10, 03:28 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MR_F1
a hybrid powertrain is not a diesel engine and transmission.
Even so I think if they wanted to they could do it. I'm not a mechanic so I'm not going to claim to know exactly how it would be done, but Toyota/Lexus currently uses a lot of their engines on both FWD and RWD platforms.

Anyway if the purported hybrid is going to replace the IS220d in Europe it's going to probably be an I4 hybrid.
Old 02-25-10, 03:32 PM
LexFather

Remember Lexus hybrids use a CVT and the IS 220d uses a manual.

In lamens terms, the Lexus CVTs were worlds firsts b/c they can be used with power from the engine, electric motors or both. Its very complicated to explain.

BMW uses it now in their active hybrid X6 and they don't even talk to the press about it b/c they realize its just too complicated to explain

Diesels are not in the Lexus strategy. As we know the IS will likely get bigger and batteries are getting smaller.

Imagine an IS 200 or 250 that gets 35 MPG city AND highway if not better next go round. That is enticing!

Old 02-25-10, 04:47 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I for one would be very interested in an IS hybrid, one that gets much better fuel efficiency and more power than the 350 does now.
Old 02-25-10, 05:01 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TorontoIS
I for one would be very interested in an IS hybrid, one that gets much better fuel efficiency and more power than the 350 does now.
...IS450h
Old 02-25-10, 05:27 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Bring it on baby.
Old 02-25-10, 06:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

if the IS get hybrid, i would say it's something like IS350h. the overall performance will probably be that of the current is350
Old 02-25-10, 06:40 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
unless you are a real buyer in that segment (m5, e63, rs6), of course it won't make sense. it's just like camry owners come and say their cars are powerful enough for most use, what's the point of gs350 with 303hp.

my m3 with 400hp, that's quite a bit of power, and at times, i actually use them all.
I would love to see more power. All I'm saying is what's the talk about 450HP not being enough. Especially if the car were better engineered for the power and performance. Put 450 HP in a GS that has reduced weight, better handling and stability and a tranny that more efficiently tranfers the power to the wheels and it would be better able to compete in the performance market. Even a better performance engineered GS350 would compete better. It's not just about adding power. Even 500 HP on the current GS without performance type engineering is just a luxo-cruizer with more power....which doesn't guarantee a more enjoyable driving car.
Old 02-25-10, 06:57 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by (Cj)
Yeah.

As I said in another posts. Most of the competition don't even use V10s for their high performance models anymore. The M5 is moving to a forced induction V8, the E class AMG is a large displacement V8, the next gen RS6 will be a forced induction V8, and the Jaguar XFR is a supercharged V8.

If Lexus were to make a V10 GS it'd be one of the only ones left in the class. That might be a good thing, it might be a bad thing. A good thing because that would help them be differentiated compared to the class, a bad thing because the V10 likely wouldn't be as fuel efficient as the turbo competition and the V10 would be pricer for Lexus to make.

At this point Lexus should follow the competition and make a forced induction V8. Toyota has a lot of experience with supercharging and turbocharging, and a high performance GS would be a great place to show off that expertise.
Why "should" Lexus follow the competition?

I disagree with such logic. Lexus should only follow the competition if it makes sense for Lexus, not simply follow them for the sake of following them.

Honda refuses to make a production V8, does that mean Toyota should follow Honda too?

If Lexus can make a fuel efficient V10, what is the point of going to a turbocharged V8? If they can't make a fuel efficient V10, then maybe something else will be needed.

All this idle speculation gets us nowhere.

Let's wait and see what Lexus comes up with.
Old 02-25-10, 07:18 PM
RED95sc
Pole Position

if they use the V10, lexus would not be able to sell a GS, cuz a GS would then cost over 100K, what they might do is use the IS-F 5.0 V8 to keep the GS-f below 100k..they already have a GS460, (4.6 from the LS460)but its a limited amount. thats the motor thats in the IS-F, but yamaha tricked it out, made it more powerful, from 4.6-5.0,
380hp-416hp...and i know there is a lotta room to make more power with that motor, no need for boost.

Last edited by RED95sc; 02-25-10 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-25-10, 08:41 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I think this thread should be locked and left to die because the title is misleading to many forum followers, they will simply read the title and assume a certain future GS-F will have the LFA v10 and spread that rumor. Then when actual news comes out people will claim Lexus lied and we don't want that now do we?

Thats just what I think from a lot of speculation and rumors going around about Lexus cars that cause bad bad press.
Old 02-25-10, 08:53 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by G Star
I think this thread should be locked and left to die because the title is misleading to many forum followers, they will simply read the title and assume a certain future GS-F will have the LFA v10 and spread that rumor. Then when actual news comes out people will claim Lexus lied and we don't want that now do we?

Thats just what I think from a lot of speculation and rumors going around about Lexus cars that cause bad bad press.
I agree, there have already been similar threads as this one. The misinformation and misleading rumors about future Toyota and Lexus products are bad enough on the internet, no need to add to it.
Old 02-26-10, 01:18 AM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I think Lexus should take the IS-F engine and add either a supercharger or turbocharger. Is the IS-F engine direct injection? It seems many manufacturers these days are taking advantage of the added horsepower and increased fuel economy benefits from direct injection. The new M5 will have a twin-turbo V8 derived from the X5/X6 M, heck, even their new 7 series. I think Lexus should follow suit.
Old 02-26-10, 05:22 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Remember Lexus hybrids use a CVT and the IS 220d uses a manual.
Yeah,

My point was that I believe that Lexus could use the CT200h (Prius) powertrain in the IS, by rotating the engine. Lexus already uses CVT's in RWD applications (GSh/LSh) so the transmission shouldn't be a problem, if Lexus were to use that engine.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Imagine an IS 200 or 250 that gets 35 MPG city AND highway if not better next go round. That is enticing!
That's what I'm talking about

Since the hybrid is going to probably replace the IS220d, it'll probably be an IS200h or something like that. It may or may not be sold here in the US though because of the HS, and because an IS200h would probably be too "underpowered" for most.

Last edited by (Cj); 02-26-10 at 05:37 AM.

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)