GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-10, 05:29 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
if the IS get hybrid, i would say it's something like IS350h. the overall performance will probably be that of the current is350
That wouldn't make sense because for one it would overlap with the IS350 performance-wise, secondly it would costs a few grand more than the IS350, and lastly efficiency probably wouldn't be that much better than the IS250.

The hybrid IS probably won't be a performance hybrid because it would cost as much as a GS if it were. Also it probably won't be heading to the US. The hybrid IS will probably be the new entry level IS in Europe once the IS220d gets phased out.

Last edited by (Cj); 02-26-10 at 05:38 AM.
Old 02-26-10, 05:32 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Why "should" Lexus follow the competition?

I disagree with such logic. Lexus should only follow the competition if it makes sense for Lexus, not simply follow them for the sake of following them.

Honda refuses to make a production V8, does that mean Toyota should follow Honda too?

If Lexus can make a fuel efficient V10, what is the point of going to a turbocharged V8? If they can't make a fuel efficient V10, then maybe something else will be needed.

All this idle speculation gets us nowhere.

Let's wait and see what Lexus comes up with.
You took what I said out of context a bit. A V10 would be good if Lexus wanted to differentiate itself from the competition, but a V10 also has it's drawbacks (hence why most of the competition is moving to FI V8s).

Also wouldn't it be cheaper for Lexus to strap a supercharger on the IS-F engine then to retune the LFA engine for a GS?
Old 02-26-10, 05:32 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by G Star
I think this thread should be locked and left to die because the title is misleading to many forum followers, they will simply read the title and assume a certain future GS-F will have the LFA v10 and spread that rumor. Then when actual news comes out people will claim Lexus lied and we don't want that now do we?

Thats just what I think from a lot of speculation and rumors going around about Lexus cars that cause bad bad press.
Well the title does have the word "rumored" in

Last edited by (Cj); 02-26-10 at 05:38 AM.
Old 02-26-10, 06:32 AM
LexFather

Maybe merge with the previous big gs thread?

Old 02-26-10, 06:55 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by (Cj)
That wouldn't make sense because for one it would overlap with the IS350 performance-wise, secondly it would costs a few grand more than the IS350, and lastly efficiency probably wouldn't be that much better than the IS250.
But the IS 250 is horribly slow. The power of the 350 with the efficiency of the 250. Sounds like a win to me and the purpose of the first 3 Lexus hybrids.
Old 02-26-10, 08:26 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

The hybrid IS probably won't be a performance hybrid because it would cost as much as a GS if it were. Also it probably won't be heading to the US. The hybrid IS will probably be the new entry level IS in Europe once the IS220d gets phased out.
i don't see v6 is with hybrid. i see 4 cylinder with hybrid on the IS. you can determine the outcome

and don't forget we have gs460 and gs450h. price about the same, gs450h performs better overall. i said about same performance of is350, not the same. key is it can't read anything like the isf, that would be silly on lexus part
Old 02-26-10, 10:40 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Yeah,

My point was that I believe that Lexus could use the CT200h (Prius) powertrain in the IS, by rotating the engine. Lexus already uses CVT's in RWD applications (GSh/LSh) so the transmission shouldn't be a problem, if Lexus were to use that engine.

That's what I'm talking about

Since the hybrid is going to probably replace the IS220d, it'll probably be an IS200h or something like that. It may or may not be sold here in the US though because of the HS, and because an IS200h would probably be too "underpowered" for most.
Like I tried to get through to you before, it is not that simple. Also, For the IS weight and sporting pretensions, I think a slightly bigger engine would be more appropriate.
Old 02-26-10, 11:18 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im thinking Lexus will drop an updated version of the 3GR-FSE into the IS at the redesign, giving it the same 245ish hp that the old GS 300 had. I don't think the 3.5L will require much change since it's already a class leading engine- perhaps valvematic and an updated version of VVT-i. A 7 or 8AT would be nice for gas mileage.

This would leave a great opportunity to pair the existing 2.5L V6 to a hybrid for something like an IS 3XXh, giving good power with great efficiency.

I guess now we should rename this thread to "3IS and 4GS discussion"

Last edited by MPLexus301; 02-26-10 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-26-10, 11:33 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Like I tried to get through to you before, it is not that simple. Also, For the IS weight and sporting pretensions, I think a slightly bigger engine would be more appropriate.
For someone that's so "knowledgeable" about this, you've done very little explaining why. I would honestly like to know.

As far as power, the Prius powerplant would be perfect for the IS in Europe. The BMW 3 series there has petrol engine options as small as 1.8L with only 143hp. The diesel engines start at 1.6L with only 116hp.

In the US as I've said, I doubt we'll even have a hybrid IS. It wouldn't work on the low end because it would be too "underpowered", it wouldn't work in the mid-range because we have the HS, and it wouldn't work on the high end because it would be too pricey.
Old 02-26-10, 11:39 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
i don't see v6 is with hybrid. i see 4 cylinder with hybrid on the IS. you can determine the outcome
With the CT and HS what would be the point of another 4 cylinder hybrid in a car that size. Which makes me think that a hybrid IS is unlikely in the near future. Now if it were a high performance 4 cylinder (200+ HP) that would make sense.

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Im thinking Lexus will drop an updated version of the 3GR-FSE into the IS at the redesign, giving it the same 245ish hp that the old GS 300 had.
THe 3GR would be a great engine to pair with HSD and create a line of 350h's.

Love the news title of this thread BTW
Old 02-26-10, 11:48 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Im thinking Lexus will drop an updated version of the 3GR-FSE into the IS at the redesign, giving it the same 245ish hp that the old GS 300 had. I don't think the 3.5L will require much change since it's already a class leading engine- perhaps valvematic and an updated version of VVT-i. A 7 or 8AT would be nice for gas mileage.

This would leave a great opportunity to pair the existing 2.5L V6 to a hybrid for something like an IS 3XXh, giving good power with great efficiency.

I guess now we should rename this thread to "3IS and 4GS discussion"
Well the Middle East has it. Not sure will it come back here but we all agree it makes a good deal of sense.

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
But the IS 250 is horribly slow. The power of the 350 with the efficiency of the 250. Sounds like a win to me and the purpose of the first 3 Lexus hybrids.
its power is adequte...like most in class...the majority sold in this class are the smaller engine cars.

We also have to remember CAFE standards coming....a Hybrid IS 200/250 only makes sense.

Old 02-26-10, 11:55 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
its power is adequte...like most in class...the majority sold in this class are the smaller engine cars.
Oh, it's power is fine. I didn't say that it wasn't. What boggles my mind is that it is so slow. Even before the 2.0L T A4 had gobs of torque it still accelerated pretty quick. As did the 325i. It does allow me bragging rights at the dinner table with my dad ....course I guess my mom wins with the 400h. Haha. I just don't understand how with 200+ HP the IS isn't in the low 7's. It has a fair amount of torque. I really like Lexus, but I just don't really enjoy driving the 250.
Old 02-26-10, 11:55 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the Middle East has it. Not sure will it come back here but we all agree it makes a good deal of sense.
The version in the Middle East does not have direct injection (due to their lower quality fuels) and I think it produces 228hp. Same block but different engine.

As far as I know, the engine that they used in the '06 GS 300 has simply been put on the shelf, though I think some versions of the Crown may use it in Japan.
Old 02-26-10, 11:57 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Maybe merge with the previous big gs thread?
Good idea. LOL @ new title "GS-F, hybrids, rumors, lies, truth, tatas,goats,torque vectoring)"
Old 02-26-10, 11:58 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

For someone that's so "knowledgeable" about this, you've done very little explaining why. I would honestly like to know.

As far as power, the Prius powerplant would be perfect for the IS in Europe. The BMW 3 series there has petrol engine options as small as 1.8L with only 143hp. The diesel engines start at 1.6L with only 116hp.

In the US as I've said, I doubt we'll even have a hybrid IS. It wouldn't work on the low end because it would be too "underpowered", it wouldn't work in the mid-range because we have the HS, and it wouldn't work on the high end because it would be too pricey.
It has little to do with the engine displacement and a lot to do with the transmission. I think it would take quite a bit of engineering to take the transverse engine and mate it to the longitudinal cvt/motors of the GS. Then you'd have to make changes to the block itself for the mounting points on the engine (which was designed to be mounted transversely). Not saying that it is impossible, not even close. Just that it'd take some engineering to get it done. Probably more than just mating the 2.5 V6 to the GS gearbox/electric motors.

Clear?

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)