GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-10, 12:06 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still dont' know why they changed the GS so much from that LF-S concept that was supposed to preview it. The LF-S was gorgeous.
Old 04-25-10, 02:34 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by knihc2008
Still dont' know why they changed the GS so much from that LF-S concept that was supposed to preview it. The LF-S was gorgeous.
The details may have changed, but the 3GS has the same overall shape and profile as the LF-S concept.
Old 04-25-10, 05:08 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
The details may have changed, but the 3GS has the same overall shape and profile as the LF-S concept.
By details you mean the entire front and rear end, headlamps, taillamps, grille, trunk, etc. etc. etc...

Yeah the only thing they really kept was the roofline and maybe the belt line if we're being generous.
Old 04-25-10, 05:13 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

By details you mean the entire front and rear end, headlamps, taillamps, grille, trunk, etc. etc. etc...

Yeah the only thing they really kept was the roofline and maybe the belt line if we're being generous.
eh, the LF-S was nice, but I love the 3GS design. If anything the entire LF-S concept should have been brought into production as another car (4 door coupe slotting between GS and LS).
Old 04-25-10, 06:11 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by (Cj)
eh, the LF-S was nice, but I love the 3GS design. If anything the entire LF-S concept should have been brought into production as another car (4 door coupe slotting between GS and LS).
I think the GS needs to be a 4 door....... "Coupe"
Old 04-25-10, 10:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
I think the GS needs to be a 4 door....... "Coupe"
as i mentioned in the other thread, imho that would be terrible fail. they first need to secure the sedan segment, then they can talk about 4-door coupe. you don't see mb doing cls before e, and same with bmw 5 and now the new concept
Old 04-26-10, 12:14 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

The entire sleek "fastback" shape of the LF-S was kept for the most part on the 3GS.
Old 04-26-10, 12:36 AM
djMaru
Lead Lap

I guess we can do is wait n see what happens.
Old 04-26-10, 12:39 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy

The entire sleek "fastback" shape of the LF-S was kept for the most part on the 3GS.

You're right and that's exactly my point. They kept the "fastback" profile/roofline and NOTHING ELSE lol
Old 04-26-10, 01:17 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

You're right and that's exactly my point. They kept the "fastback" profile/roofline and NOTHING ELSE lol
I think we're both in agreement and talking about the same thing .

In terms of the front end, I think Lexus made the right decision with the 3GS, keeping those unique lights at the front. The rear end of the 3GS however is the most disappointing aspect of the exterior IMHO, and in that regard it would have been nice if Lexus had used the LF-S concept rear end on the 3GS.
Old 04-26-10, 07:40 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
as i mentioned in the other thread, imho that would be terrible fail. they first need to secure the sedan segment, then they can talk about 4-door coupe. you don't see mb doing cls before e, and same with bmw 5 and now the new concept
Seeing that imo the GS started it all, i think it'd make sense to continue it. It should be a sport sedan, it should look sleek. I think having the fastback shape would go a long way to improving it's aesthetic verses the 5 and the E, as long as they could figure out how to avoid headroom issues in the back.
I'm not asking for a new model, I think the GS should adapt, as a new model would be absurd in that bracket, especially looking at the GS already dismal sales numbers. Of course I don't believe they have to be best-seller in every category, but c'mon, it has to be worth their while to continue selling it.
Old 04-26-10, 09:30 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Seeing that imo the GS started it all, i think it'd make sense to continue it. It should be a sport sedan, it should look sleek. I think having the fastback shape would go a long way to improving it's aesthetic verses the 5 and the E, as long as they could figure out how to avoid headroom issues in the back.
I'm not asking for a new model, I think the GS should adapt, as a new model would be absurd in that bracket, especially looking at the GS already dismal sales numbers. Of course I don't believe they have to be best-seller in every category, but c'mon, it has to be worth their while to continue selling it.
well, that's why i think the 3gs failed. they failed to create a sedan that competes with e and 5, and that's a car much needed before they think of a 4-door coupe. if they change the gs into a 4-door coupe and call it a day, that would be a terrible decision imho. i am not against the idea of a 4-door coupe with better styling, but not before they have a solid full sedan version
Old 04-26-10, 09:39 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Agreed^^, the 3GS has the worst backseat space/headroom in it's class(not to mention trunkspace), they need to address that first, since a 4-door sedan needs to be practical as an important priority. 4-door coupe is nice but it's a niche vehicle. And lexus needs to address it's need for more proper 2-door coupes in it's line-up way before a 4-door coupe.
Old 04-26-10, 10:06 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I have discussed it several times before so I won't bore you guys again, but I think the failure of the 3GS is attributed to several different factors.

Design - the exterior really did not age that well, IMO. It looked sleek for the first year but quickly became bland when parked next to the competition. The one thing the car had going for it - low and wide with a narrow window line- is what really killed interior space and comfort. The lack if interesting wheel options, a sport package, or an aero kit didn't help either. The interior also looked good in the first year or two, but (like the exterior) was quickly outdone by nearly every competitor. Lexus continues to miss the boat with interior colors and combinations, IMO.

Power - The GS 300's engine was adequate but lackluster, and the debut took place directly in the middle of the luxury segment's horsepower war. Lexus chose not to play and it bit them in the ***, IMO. The car sold well enough in it's first year but I can't help but wonder what it would have been like if they came out of the gate with 342hp V8 and 303hp V6. Still to this day, the GS 460 has the least powerful V8 in it's class and least impressive performance figures.

Dynamics - This is where I could go on for hours but I will keep this short and sweet. 1) AWFUL power steering that they never corrected. 2) The handling and demeanor of the car really never felt capable or sporty. 3) The ES 350 does 8/10ths of what the GS does at 3/4 of the price, for most consumers.

In summary...the 4GS needs to have some PASSION like the 2GS did. Passion in the design, passion in the engineering, and passion in the execution. By all measures I look at the current car as a space-filler. Lexus said, "Hey we need to redesign the GS because we need a midsize RWD sedan. Can you guys come up with something?" The result is plain to see, and completely lacks the zeal or (once again) passion that the car previously had.

Better interior color combinations, more wheel options, and a sport package are MUST-HAVE features this time around, IMO.
Old 04-26-10, 10:40 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I have discussed it several times before so I won't bore you guys again, but I think the failure of the 3GS is attributed to several different factors.

Design - the exterior really did not age that well, IMO. It looked sleek for the first year but quickly became bland when parked next to the competition. The one thing the car had going for it - low and wide with a narrow window line- is what really killed interior space and comfort. The lack if interesting wheel options, a sport package, or an aero kit didn't help either. The interior also looked good in the first year or two, but (like the exterior) was quickly outdone by nearly every competitor. Lexus continues to miss the boat with interior colors and combinations, IMO.

Power - The GS 300's engine was adequate but lackluster, and the debut took place directly in the middle of the luxury segment's horsepower war. Lexus chose not to play and it bit them in the ***, IMO. The car sold well enough in it's first year but I can't help but wonder what it would have been like if they came out of the gate with 342hp V8 and 303hp V6. Still to this day, the GS 460 has the least powerful V8 in it's class and least impressive performance figures.

Dynamics - This is where I could go on for hours but I will keep this short and sweet. 1) AWFUL power steering that they never corrected. 2) The handling and demeanor of the car really never felt capable or sporty. 3) The ES 350 does 8/10ths of what the GS does at 3/4 of the price, for most consumers.

In summary...the 4GS needs to have some PASSION like the 2GS did. Passion in the design, passion in the engineering, and passion in the execution. By all measures I look at the current car as a space-filler. Lexus said, "Hey we need to redesign the GS because we need a midsize RWD sedan. Can you guys come up with something?" The result is plain to see, and completely lacks the zeal or (once again) passion that the car previously had.

Better interior color combinations, more wheel options, and a sport package are MUST-HAVE features this time around, IMO.
IMO the design of the GS is fine and has been copied by a lot of companies, which means Lexus must have done something right with the design

What you're saying about power is a little bit shortsighted. Up until a few months ago the M45 had only 325hp, the BMW 550i had 360hp, etc. The GS has only recently been outmatched for power, and the V6 model is still more than competitive. When the GS came out in 2006 it would have been nice if it came out with new engines, but even then, the old engines were competitive enough (not best in class but far from worst in class).

Only thing I agree with you on is dynamics. The other "problems" you listed weren't really problems. Only reason they're problems now is because all of the competition has just been freshly remodeled.

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)