GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-10, 11:11 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by (Cj)
Yes it does, but I believe that the 528i model is going to be discontinued for the next generation.
No it will not. The 528 will still be around & will be powered by a 240hp N/A inline 6.
Old 04-27-10, 11:38 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I think the biggest problem 3GS has is the design. It just not as appealing as 2GS was (& yes I still bought it). Quality, not so much. Lexus just needs an eye catching design for the 4GS, especially if they are planning on building the GS-F. I personally find the 3GS design a bit boring, I can't even imagine a GS-F in a 3GS body. But I'm sure the lesson has been learned < I hope :P~ >
Old 04-27-10, 11:50 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
No it will not. The 528 will still be around & will be powered by a 240hp N/A inline 6.
Oh thanks for that info, I didn't know that...

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
I think the biggest problem 3GS has is the design. It just not as appealing as 2GS was (& yes I still bought it). Quality, not so much. Lexus just needs an eye catching design for the 4GS, especially if they are planning on building the GS-F. I personally find the 3GS design a bit boring, I can't even imagine a GS-F in a 3GS body. But I'm sure the lesson has been learned < I hope :P~ >

You guys just amaze me. No the 3GS wasn't a ground breaking design, but that's a good thing. It was a nice evolution of the 2GS design that I feel was interpreted excellently with the new L-Finesse design language.

This is what radical design gives us:

DO YOU WANT THAT FROM LEXUS???

I don't. Also compared to the rest of the class at the time the GS was FAR FROM BLAND. It may not have been jaw dropping, but it didn't look bad next to the E and M of the time.
Old 04-27-10, 12:18 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I would like to see...

3.5L V6 with 320hp and 2-3mpg increase, mated to the 8AT.

3.5L V6 hybrid with 350hp and 32-33MPG combined.

5.0L V8 with 400-420hp mated to the 8AT or Direct Sport Shift 8AT from the ISF

TT V8 GSF with 520-550hp

However, more than an increase in power, I would like to see a focus on reducing weight. Cars have gotten insanely obese in recent years and Lexus hasn't been too bad but I think there is more to be gained in reducing weight than increasing HP.
Old 04-27-10, 12:25 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301

TT V8 GSF with 520-550hp

However, more than an increase in power, I would like to see a focus on reducing weight. Cars have gotten insanely obese in recent years and Lexus hasn't been too bad but I think there is more to be gained in reducing weight than increasing HP.
Does anybody make those kinds of powertrains?

320hp can be had with a V6 (see BMW and Infiniti), but gas mileage suffers.
350hp V6 hybrid not yet made (Lexus can pull off about 330hp). Newer/future Lexus technology can do it.
400+ V8 can honestly be done easily.
TT V8? Can be done. But Toyota/Lexus has not been keen with turbos...
Old 04-27-10, 12:29 PM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

You guys just amaze me. No the 3GS wasn't a ground breaking design, but that's a good thing. It was a nice evolution of the 2GS design that I feel was interpreted excellently with the new L-Finesse design language.
I'm with (Cj). I think the Lexus GS evolved nicely, naturally and progressively from the original Giugiaro-designed GS1 to GS2 to GS3.
Old 04-27-10, 12:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Yes it does, but I believe that the 528i model is going to be discontinued for the next generation.

@all

You guys are really *****ing on the GS

From personal experience, when I got mine there wasn't really much else out there. The 5 series was ugly and slow, the E class was way too expensive, and the M never appealed to me.

In my price range I was looking at the 528ix, and that felt very underpowered. The M35 at the time had 280hp I believe, and it felt much slower than the GS350. The M handled better no doubt, but it sucked more gas than the GS, and the styling was more staid at least in my opinion. I never tested the A6 so I can't comment on that.

The GS350 was great for me since I rarely carry people in the back seat, and I liked the acceleration of the car.

As far as all the styling comments none of the class looked all that great a few years ago. The first sexy head turner IMO was the XF. The 5 was ugly, the E looked classy but plain, the M was bland, and the A6 was nice but nothing special in my eyes. The GS has a nice sleek side profile, and I love the front end style especially on the 08-10 models.
that's pretty much why we got our gs350 too. i was aware of most of the problems when we bought it, so nothing was a surprise.

but i always try to be critical and point out all the problems on what i owe, that's how to give honest feedback to companies imho anyway (much more useful than fanboy comments). all the cars i have owned, obviously i bought them with preferred reasons, but i can still point out stuff about the cars that could use improvements.
Old 04-27-10, 12:47 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

TT V8 GSF with 520-550hp

This is exactly what I hope for and all of that is realistic IMO.

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

350hp V6 hybrid not yet made (Lexus can pull off about 330hp). Newer/future Lexus technology can do it.
The MPG numbers MPLexus301 was talking about might not all be attainable with the power increases, but maybe Lexus will wow us? Having an 8AT would definitely give it a bump in fuel efficiency and performance!

The current GSh has 340hp so if the V6 engine were to get a 10-20hp power bump I would think that could translate to a combined output in the hybrid model of 350 or so horsepower.

For the GS-F I would think the twin turbo approach would be cheaper and more feasible than a V10....

Originally Posted by jruhi4
I'm with (Cj). I think the Lexus GS evolved nicely, naturally and progressively from the original Giugiaro-designed GS1 to GS2 to GS3.
Thanks for backing me up lol!
Old 04-27-10, 12:48 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
that's pretty much why we got our gs350 too. i was aware of most of the problems when we bought it, so nothing was a surprise.

but i always try to be critical and point out all the problems on what i owe, that's how to give honest feedback to companies imho anyway (much more useful than fanboy comments). all the cars i have owned, obviously i bought them with preferred reasons, but i can still point out stuff about the cars that could use improvements.
Fair enough, and I agree the GS350 is FAR from perfect
Old 04-27-10, 01:42 PM
Des@Cerritos
Former Sponsor

Oh thanks for that info, I didn't know that...

This is what radical design gives us:

DO YOU WANT THAT FROM LEXUS???

I don't. Also compared to the rest of the class at the time the GS was FAR FROM BLAND. It may not have been jaw dropping, but it didn't look bad next to the E and M of the time.
Co-sign.
Acura has lost their minds and their identities with their latest offerings.

Can't stop laughing at your avatar lol
Old 04-27-10, 01:47 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Des@Cerritos
Co-sign.
Acura has lost their minds and their identities with their latest offerings.

Can't stop laughing at your avatar lol
Completely agreed. The avatar is right on.

Lol, it seems that the Acura TL can be the whipping boy for any thread.
Old 04-27-10, 03:21 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

Some of the estimates that I have read regarding valvematic mention that it adds about a 10% increase in power and a 12-15% increase in fuel economy. If that is true and Lexus adds this tech to the engine, then those numbers should be achieved easily. Gearing of the 8AT should help too.

The GS 450h right now makes 340hp but gets MPG averages in the mid 20s. If they use a cleaner version of the 3.5L V6 and the latest in hybrid tech, I think 350hp and 30+ mpg should be doable.
Old 04-27-10, 03:33 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Some of the estimates that I have read regarding valvematic mention that it adds about a 10% increase in power and a 12-15% increase in fuel economy. If that is true and Lexus adds this tech to the engine, then those numbers should be achieved easily. Gearing of the 8AT should help too.

The GS 450h right now makes 340hp but gets MPG averages in the mid 20s. If they use a cleaner version of the 3.5L V6 and the latest in hybrid tech, I think 350hp and 30+ mpg should be doable.
The main thing I'd like to see from the hybrid model is a lower price. The RXh's price premium has shrunk in recent years and it's now only $5K more plus it's over 30% more full efficient than the regular RX.

The GSh should only costs $50K IMO, and at that price it would be a lot more popular and more within reach of a lot of buyers.
Old 04-27-10, 03:34 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by des@cerritos
can't stop laughing at your avatar lol
Originally Posted by jwong77
completely agreed. The avatar is right on.

Last edited by (Cj); 04-27-10 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-27-10, 10:35 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

TT V8 GSF with 520-550hp

Toyota has the technology to make a 3.5L V6 with 330-340HP and a 2-3 mpg increase for both city and highway economy, and that is possible when being only mated to the 6-speed auto. Mated to the 8AT, Toyota has the technology to achieve 3-4 mpg increase for both city and highway.

The next-gen GS hybrid should be able to achieve a minimum of 360 HP and 28-32 mpg combined. Toyota has enough technology and know-how to easily achieve that.

4.6L or 5.0L V8 with 400 HP minimum mated to the 8AT is an absolute minimum for the next-gen V8 GS model. Anything less than that and Lexus might as well not even bother making a V8 GS. Using the technology Toyota has, a V8 with 420-440 HP and 2-3 mpg increase in both city and highway should be easily achievable.

Absolute minimum for GSF is slightly over 500 HP. Anything less than that, and again they shouldn't even bother. Toyota needs to take full advantage of its know-how and knowledge of what they learned with the LFA and apply it to a GSF model. This includes what they learned about carbon fiber, suspension design and tuning, engine technology, weight-savings, body rigidity, high-speed stability, and handling.

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)