GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-10, 09:28 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by owned3gss
As the guy who started this thread, I was/am motivated to learn what I can about the next gen GS. I remembered that a very close friend's son is an executive with Lexus-USA. We called him last Friday and he called back within 10 minutes telling us that as of May 15, 2010, the 4th gen GSis 18-24 months away.

Gen 1 1992-1997 (6 years)
Gen 2 1998-2005 (8 years)
Gen 3 2006-2010 so far (5 years so far)

As much as I want to see/drive/buy Gen 4, 18-24 months is in line with historical norms.
Actually the Gen 3 was launched in early 2005 as a 2006 model, so Gen 2 really ran 7 years, and Gen 3 is in its 6th year. This is why they are predicting the new car will launch in 1H 2011 as a 2012 model.
Old 06-01-10, 05:04 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fact or Fiction - we'll find out soon enough.

Per a Lexus dealership sales, the monthly meeting between Southern California dealership sales staff and the corporate sales manager will occur tomorrow (Wednesday, June 2). Sales staff anticipates the corporate sales manager will tell the dealerships the date of the press release of the new GS refresh and the date of first availability. Sales staff also anticipates news of a model to replace the SC.

Should the corporate sales manager NOT disclose the (GS) information, news will not be forthcoming until July 7 at the earliest (monthly meetings are held first Wednesday of each month).
Old 06-03-10, 10:54 AM
mikesm
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bushwack
Fact or Fiction - we'll find out soon enough.

Per a Lexus dealership sales, the monthly meeting between Southern California dealership sales staff and the corporate sales manager will occur tomorrow (Wednesday, June 2). Sales staff anticipates the corporate sales manager will tell the dealerships the date of the press release of the new GS refresh and the date of first availability. Sales staff also anticipates news of a model to replace the SC.

Should the corporate sales manager NOT disclose the (GS) information, news will not be forthcoming until July 7 at the earliest (monthly meetings are held first Wednesday of each month).
So, any news from this meeting??? Inquiring minds want to know!
Old 06-03-10, 12:38 PM
LexFather

You could buy a 2005 2GS Lexus in 2004 (you could buy a 1998 GS in fall 97). The 2006 3GS started to be sold Feb 2005.

I prefer long model cycles for luxury brands. Leave the 3/5 year cycles to non luxury brands. I also am happy Lexus doesn't resort to ridiculous styling some generations so when another generation comes out it is obvious your model is old. They also do a great job evolving the vehicles so you can see the lineage.

That is what I like about the Germans, their history and lineage and they proudly show the pics. Lexus has done the same with a gradual evolution. The other Japanese brands have completely struggled with this fairly easy concept.

Old 06-03-10, 06:53 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by owned3gss
As the guy who started this thread, I was/am motivated to learn what I can about the next gen GS. I remembered that a very close friend's son is an executive with Lexus-USA. We called him last Friday and he called back within 10 minutes telling us that as of May 15, 2010, the 4th gen GSis 18-24 months away.

Gen 1 1992-1997 (6 years)
Gen 2 1998-2005 (8 years)
Gen 3 2006-2010 so far (5 years so far)

As much as I want to see/drive/buy Gen 4, 18-24 months is in line with historical norms.
so that would put it in line for a early/mid 2012 release as a 2013 model. I'd be cool with that.
Old 06-03-10, 09:30 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mikesm
So, any news from this meeting??? Inquiring minds want to know!
The Lexus corporate rep didn't show up for the meeting. So...who knows.
Old 06-03-10, 09:41 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Bushwack
The Lexus corporate rep didn't show up for the meeting. So...who knows.
Reguardless, i dont think you should be leaking corporate information from internal meetings... no matter how much the forums want it.
Old 06-03-10, 11:49 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Default Remote touch?

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Not sure if "remote touch" will be in the GS. Lexus put it in the new CT, HS, RX but not the GX. I believe it will make it as an option though.
What the heck is "remote touch?" I tried in context to guess what it does, but I could not figure it out.
Old 06-04-10, 01:46 AM
twylie
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by steverhode
What the heck is "remote touch?" I tried in context to guess what it does, but I could not figure it out.
remote mouse/joystick used to navigate the infonaviclimatainment screen.

I got to try one of for a few days with an RX as a loaner. The screen is sheltered higher up on the dash in a recessed well. It prevented glare washout and keep the screen more in line with sight. Looks gadgety, but seemed to work pretty well. I prefer the simplicity of the direct touch screen, but understand the advantages of the remote touch. Lexus is very good about keeping interior design theme and controls consistent across the vehicle range, so I'd expect to see this on the next gen GS.
Old 06-04-10, 03:40 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am driving a 2010 Lexus HS250h loaner while my GS460 is in for the sways upgrade and 12 month service.

Personally I hate this mouse. I find the whole new infomatics system to pretty poor and disappointing. Not much different to the old one except for the hard drive and the better MP3 capabilities.

Also the HS250h is a terrible car. I keep wearing the battery out, and the car is so noisy. I've never had a GS450h on an extended drive, and I'm sure it's different. But every hybrid I have rented, HS250h, Altima hybrid and RX400h, I have hated.

I certainly won't take one of these as a loaner again! Interestingly they replaced the IS250s completely with HS250h in the loaner fleet which tells me the car is a total flop. They should have just made an IS hybrid instead.
Old 06-04-10, 08:51 AM
mikesm
Rookie

Originally Posted by batman75
I am driving a 2010 Lexus HS250h loaner while my GS460 is in for the sways upgrade and 12 month service.

Personally I hate this mouse. I find the whole new infomatics system to pretty poor and disappointing. Not much different to the old one except for the hard drive and the better MP3 capabilities.

Also the HS250h is a terrible car. I keep wearing the battery out, and the car is so noisy. I've never had a GS450h on an extended drive, and I'm sure it's different. But every hybrid I have rented, HS250h, Altima hybrid and RX400h, I have hated.

I certainly won't take one of these as a loaner again! Interestingly they replaced the IS250s completely with HS250h in the loaner fleet which tells me the car is a total flop. They should have just made an IS hybrid instead.
I agree with you about the mouse. It's much more distracting that being able to use the touchscreen. It's funny that touchscreens and tablets are now all the range in the PC and phone industry (moving away from a keyboard and mouse model), and here lexus is going exactly the other way. Dumb dumb dumb... I guess they think the iPad is sure to be a loser like the iPhone was...
Old 06-04-10, 09:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i personally like the remote touch a lot. i am so used to the mouse, i tried using the remote touch and i found myself doing things just as fast as touch screen overall. and i love the fact that the screen is higher and also inward, that helps to reduce a lot of glare issue on the touch screen, and also the finger print problem of course. the snap into feature makes it easier to use too compare to a "free running" setup
Old 06-04-10, 11:32 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I think the mouse is great for the younger generation, people that use PC's / Mac's daily. On the other hand, a sixty year old person may find it harder to navigate using the mouse.
Old 06-04-10, 01:55 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RTIS250
Reguardless, i dont think you should be leaking corporate information from internal meetings... no matter how much the forums want it.

Listen up, Perry Mason.

If a corporate rep will discuss a new model to a dealership, don't you think there's an underlying reason??? A corporate rep knows just a little bit more information then a dealership's sales staff. What a corporate rep shares with a dealership...he/she has been authorized to do so; knowing word will get down to the buying public. Leaks at this level don't happen by accident.
Old 06-04-10, 11:15 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Thumbs down Bad, BAD idea

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
I think the mouse is great for the younger generation, people that use PC's / Mac's daily. On the other hand, a sixty year old person may find it harder to navigate using the mouse.
I've been using a mouse continuously and daily since 1983, but it is very clear to me that for me as well as the vast majority of the public it is MUCH, MUCH easier to use touch (think iPhone, iPad, etc.) and also a whole lot safer. Putting a mouse in a car has been and continues to be a huge step backwards.

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)