GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-10, 08:46 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The key difference with the iPhone, iPad, and Tablet PC's is that they are handheld devices, and given that your hand is already holding the device, you can just as easily touch the screen. With vehicle touchscreens, your hands are more often on the steering wheel. The conundrum lies in A) positioning the screen close enough that you can touch it easily, tightening the dashboard layout and B) positioning the screen not too far from the windshield to touch, so you do not have to look away from the road. Haptic feedback means nothing for a touchscreen.

Originally Posted by rominl
i personally like the remote touch a lot. i am so used to the mouse, i tried using the remote touch and i found myself doing things just as fast as touch screen overall. and i love the fact that the screen is higher and also inward, that helps to reduce a lot of glare issue on the touch screen, and also the finger print problem of course. the snap into feature makes it easier to use too compare to a "free running" setup
Exactly. The Remote Touch design opens up the cabin, allowing the dash to move forward, and keeping the driver's eye on the road. No need to reach forward, instead it's next to the gear shift. And the haptic feedback makes it less involving...at least in theory and in (many users') experience.

Conceptually, it's much easier to use touchscreen, and I still agree that it's easier to teach and quite simple. But the mouse interface is not going away...at least for the immediate future. Personal computers, such as the iMac, are not going touchscreen, while handhelds are. The original iDrive/COMAND/MMI ***** have simplified things but were criticized in part because they lack free movement, and scrolling is typically required. Remote Touch simplifies yet has free movement. But clearly they are not the only possible solution, with the Audi touchpad interface another possibility (although I'm personally not sure if hand-scrawling letters and having them recognized is better), and a Mercedes-Benz concierge avatar system planned as well.

In any case, I fully expect the 4GS to offer the Remote Touch interface. I'd like to see it backed up with a stronger navigation/infotainment suite, with better iPod integration, navigation graphics (3D etc.) introduced. I think part of the reason why the current Lexus navigation interface looks so spartan is to ease the transition to Remote Touch. By the time the 4GS comes in, I say let it rip with the new tech.
Old 06-05-10, 10:33 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
In any case, I fully expect the 4GS to offer the Remote Touch interface. I'd like to see it backed up with a stronger navigation/infotainment suite, with better iPod integration, navigation graphics (3D etc.) introduced. I think part of the reason why the current Lexus navigation interface looks so spartan is to ease the transition to Remote Touch. By the time the 4GS comes in, I say let it rip with the new tech.
Well this will take away one more reason I had for buying a Lexus over the BMWs I used to have before. Typing using a mouse is just silly. There are only 2 companies which have effectively solved the problem of remote touch:
1) Audi with their handwriting recognition touchpad
2) Lincoln with their effective voice recognition that works with very rare mistakes.

The Lexus solution like the BMW and Mercedes solutions is just more likely to cause an accident. The touchscreen was a much better way of entering addresses, selecting phone numbers, and entering POI names than typing with a mouse.
Old 06-05-10, 10:42 AM
LexFather

Lexus did state they were not going to do a iDrive controller. Now I thought that meant keeping everything touchscreen. However we got Remote Touch which has been lauded as the best/easiest to use system.

I am 50/50 about it, I guess I need to use it more.

The GX did debut without it but the RX/HS has it. So its not a 100% guarantee every new Lexus will have it. That said with seemingly every sedan going with the same basic console with a giant NAV screen on top the dash there is a good chance it will get Remote Touch.

Old 06-05-10, 01:50 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Lexus did state they were not going to do a iDrive controller. Now I thought that meant keeping everything touchscreen. However we got Remote Touch which has been lauded as the best/easiest to use system.

I am 50/50 about it, I guess I need to use it more.

The GX did debut without it but the RX/HS has it. So its not a 100% guarantee every new Lexus will have it. That said with seemingly every sedan going with the same basic console with a giant NAV screen on top the dash there is a good chance it will get Remote Touch.
It seems to me that remote touch is the same basic concept as iDrive just slightly better because there are more dimensions of cursor movement.

I think the issue of having information closer to the windshield is better solved with a HUD.
Old 06-06-10, 02:53 AM
1wacko
Intermediate

Received 186 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Detuned LFA V10 engine for the GS-F in 2013

I thought I share the below article with you.

http://www.thetorquereport.com/2010/..._lfa.html#more
Old 06-06-10, 05:13 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1wacko
I thought I share the below article with you.

http://www.thetorquereport.com/2010/..._lfa.html#more
Yeah we discussed this before and consensus was its unlikely because the LFA engine uses pretty exotic materials. Would effectively be a different V10.

This whole detuning business really irks me. The weight of the GS is the detuning factor in itself.

Plus Lexus should make the best car it can in every line up. Its okay if the GS460 is faster than the LS460. Until they realize that, they are just manufacturing compromised cars, and we put up with it because we have been facing a choice between compromised cars and cars that are expensive to maintain.
Old 06-06-10, 12:12 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

I drove the 2011 550i today. 4 things I really liked which I would like the new top-of-the line Lexus GS to have:
1) Suspension - 4 settings - Comfort, Normal, Sport, Sport+. We effectively have the middle 2 modes normal and sport, and in these modes it felt similar to my GS460. However, in the comfort mode it was very nice over bumpy city streets, and in the top mode it was razor sharp at speed.
2) Navigation system. BMW navigation system is awesome. I love that it had a 3D view with the actual buildings on it. Also it is visually stunning.
3) Cameras. Side and rear view cameras with an around view mode like Infiniti has. Infiniti is a bit better because it also has front view. But still I want more cameras on the next GS.
4. HUD

The interior finish is also fantastic. Huge step up from BMW.

Only problem - it's damn expensive. Starts at 59 just like the GS460, but to equip it to the same level as my GS460 which had a $60k sticker, you end up at 70. To get the goodies I liked you end up at $76k. I can't believe they charge $1000 just for keyless entry.
Old 06-06-10, 01:11 PM
twylie
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by batman75
The interior finish is also fantastic. Huge step up from BMW.
This was one of the deal breakers for me on the current 5 series. Interior materials looked and felt many steps below what the car should carry. On the new ones, a 20+% premium to a comparably priced GS is tough to swallow even though it's a great car.
Old 06-06-10, 05:08 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by twylie
This was one of the deal breakers for me on the current 5 series. Interior materials looked and felt many steps below what the car should carry. On the new ones, a 20+% premium to a comparably priced GS is tough to swallow even though it's a great car.
Agree. Plus BMW 5ers always depreciate faster. They cost more new, but are about the same used.

The fact that they charge for some features we take for granted in the $60k sticker version of the GS460 is ridiculous. Check these out which are all included in the GS460 at the 60k sticker:
1) Ventilated and Heated seats, $1,950
2) Active suspension, $2700
3) Premium Package 2 (premium sound, sat radio, rear view camera, power sunshade, iPod adaptor), $2,800
4) Keyless entry, $1000

Interestingly I did a build-your-own of the BMW 550i on the BMW website, and then did a build-your own LS460 on the Lexus website, and the Lexus LS460 came out less expensive than the BMW550i.

Last edited by *Batman*; 06-06-10 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-08-10, 06:30 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Hey guys - I had a dream about the 4GS and it's the most beautiful car in the world.
Old 06-10-10, 09:42 PM
MIAMIGS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my sales person told today that the 4gs will be available in march 2011 .
Old 06-14-10, 01:56 PM
BLAQ ICE
Driver

Cool

Originally Posted by MIAMIGS3
my sales person told today that the 4gs will be available in march 2011 .
Go back and ask the salesman/woman to provide you with an pre-order form.
Old 06-15-10, 08:59 PM
MIAMIGS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BLAQ ICE
Go back and ask the salesman/woman to provide you with an pre-order form.
for what ? I'm not ordering one if its true , good. if not we will wait .
Old 06-16-10, 03:06 AM
mr3gs300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont know I still think its gonna be atleast 2 years away, going by history GS model usually run like 6yrs, then they switch it up. so maybe 2012 or 2013 but who knows. also the financial market has to play a part in this aswell, there alot of people who would normally have picked up the GS when it comes out that are out of work still
Old 06-16-10, 10:39 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I truly believe the next generation IS will come out before the GS... so you guys can keep talking.

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)