GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-10, 11:24 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Updated with what I've heard through the grapevine........

-GS 350 name will continue with a bump in HP
-GSh will continue, not sure of power/MPG bump
-GS 460 will not be replaced. The business case for the V-8 was nill since the hybrid will continue to provide V-8 power with better MPG and the V-8 GS never sold well (though this is IMO some of their own doing with the V-8s the 3GS got)
-Interior is amazing, a significant step up i style and quality
-12" screen in the interior with remote touch
-The drive will be significantly sportier and more in tune with the 5 series
-GS F is likely coming but hasn't been given the 100% approval yet
-Exterior a blend of curves with the traditional GS features

I'm expecting we will see some photos soon
Sounds excellent. I hope the GSF comes quickly.
Old 07-21-10, 02:06 PM
LexFather

Got some fresh info today and I will share to protect the CL innocent .....take it for what its worth but I think this is solid info....

-GS 460 will not be replaced. The business case for the V-8 was nill since the hybrid will continue to provide V-8 power with better MPG and the V-8 GS never sold well (though this is IMO some of their own doing with the V-8s the 3GS got)
-Interior is amazing, a significant step up i style and quality, CTish

Old 07-21-10, 02:21 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GS-F is probably going to get produced, If Lexus can make a profit I bet it will. I don't see why not. Plus with the introduction of the LFA, it just makes sense to have more F versions, and the new updates to the IS-F, I think it'll come together. But sounds good from the info you've gave. 12 inch screen! Wow, with touch? Sounds pretty fancy. Is that gonna be in-dash? Probably back up camera as well. I wouldn't doubt it, nav screen too. The sporty drive sounds good, maybe Lexus is finally going the direction Akio wants Toyota to go.
Old 07-21-10, 02:21 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

12" screen in the interior with remote touch
What is "remote touch" ? I know touchscreens... but remote touch?
Old 07-21-10, 02:29 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MrMut
What is "remote touch" ? I know touchscreens... but remote touch?
The system in the HS, RX.

Old 07-21-10, 02:37 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Is it just me or do you guys prefer the touch screen set up over the remote touch. I feel like with the remote touch I am always having to look as to where the arrow is going. With the touch screen I look and press the button. I have lees time where my eyes are not on the road. The remote system looks cool and is innovative but I think its going to take some getting used to
Old 07-21-10, 02:41 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Is it just me or do you guys prefer the touch screen set up over the remote touch. I feel like with the remote touch I am always having to look as to where the arrow is going. With the touch screen I look and press the button. I have lees time where my eyes are not on the road. The remote system looks cool and is innovative but I think its going to take some getting used to
I prefer touch screen. Lexus themselves have said they prefer touch screen. However with seemingly everyone slapping the screens higher and further up the dash Lexus has followed suit in many instances.

To their credit Remote Touch has been hailed as the easiest and most intuitive system.

Old 07-21-10, 02:43 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Got some fresh info today and I will share to protect the CL innocent .....take it for what its worth but I think this is solid info....

-Interior is amazing, a significant step up i style and quality, CTish

Wow, that is laughable and sad. BMW and MB are making TT V8 5 series and E class, and Lexus is dropping the V8 all together?

Acura called, they want their "business strategy" back.
Old 07-21-10, 02:43 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I know the ladies I have lunch with at the office were very impressed when they saw the remote touch system. Its cool because it directly mimics the mice that we use at our desks
Old 07-21-10, 02:49 PM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So which auto show is expected to see the first public unveiling? Paris? (I doubt it). Los Angeles? Detroit?
Old 07-21-10, 02:52 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och
Wow, that is laughable and sad. BMW and MB are making TT V8 5 series and E class, and Lexus is dropping the V8 all together?

Acura called, they want their "business strategy" back.
My gut told me it was gonna happen but this is far from the Acura strategy as the current GS 450h is like a V-8 with the hybrid tech. I do moan the loss of a V-8 GS if this is official and IMO Lexus has no one to blame but itself by starting off the 3GS with the old 4.3 V-8 then using a de-tuned 4.6 with only 2hp more than the 450h.

Amazing how times change. The GS 400 was the fastest automatic sedan on the planet in 1997/1998. Without it many of us would not be here or not as enthusiastic about the brand (Rominl, DaveGS4, bitkahuna, CKspeed, J.P, most of the moderator team had a GS and the founder of CL, Mike Kilty had a GS 400).

Personally though I wouldn't buy a regular 4GS V-8....for me it will either be "h" or "F" until I get to Porsche. So to that extent I wasn't going to buy one anyway. So lets hope a GS-F comes.

Sad though, I agree.

Originally Posted by jruhi4
So which auto show is expected to see the first public unveiling? Paris? (I doubt it). Los Angeles? Detroit?
No idea. You might know that before me

Old 07-21-10, 02:58 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 766 Likes on 535 Posts

Just a thought, but dropping the 460 might be a good thing because it signals the GS-F? Lexus is scant on options compared to the Germans, so I'm not surprised that they wouldn't offer 2 V8s under the same model
Old 07-21-10, 03:00 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Allen K
Just a thought, but dropping the 460 might be a good thing because it signals the GS-F? Lexus is scant on options compared to the Germans, so I'm not surprised that they wouldn't offer 2 V8s under the same model
Well that and cough cough...next SC might be two models...cough cough...big CL fighter and cough cough 4 door coupe CLS figher...cough cough...

Old 07-21-10, 03:01 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My gut told me it was gonna happen but this is far from the Acura strategy as the current GS 450h is like a V-8 with the hybrid tech. I do moan the loss of a V-8 GS if this is official and IMO Lexus has no one to blame but itself by starting off the 3GS with the old 4.3 V-8 then using a de-tuned 4.6 with only 2hp more than the 450h.

Amazing how times change. The GS 400 was the fastest automatic sedan on the planet in 1997/1998. Without it many of us would not be here or not as enthusiastic about the brand (Rominl, DaveGS4, bitkahuna, CKspeed, J.P, most of the moderator team had a GS and the founder of CL, Mike Kilty had a GS 400).

Personally though I wouldn't buy a regular 4GS V-8....for me it will either be "h" or "F" until I get to Porsche. So to that extent I wasn't going to buy one anyway. So lets hope a GS-F comes.
Well, the F or the h are simply not for me. I dont like the punishing ride, carbon fiber, or the low profile tires of the F, and the h is just too unpractical. A plain GS500 loaded with wood, air suspension, and the rest of the goodies would do me wonders.

Lexus has only themselves to blame for the slow sales of the V8 3GS, but by dropping it all together they will just lose interest of even more enthusiasts.

On a bright side, lack of a V8 4GS is a good excuse to buy the new 550
Old 07-21-10, 03:03 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sad that they decided to give up on the V-8 instead of trying to improve the car by NOT castrating the V-8 so that it can actually deliver meaningful performance advantage over the V6 hybrid.

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)