GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-10, 07:51 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Sorry, but if the GS F is anywhere close to the 500 hp mark, it will be the underpowered step-child of this class.

The E63 already has 518, the upcoming F10 M5 is rumored to be somewhere between 550 and 580 hp and the RS6 already has 580 hp (we can get it up here ). Unfortunately, I just don't see the GS F as making up the handling deficiency, in addition to a power one.

The hybrid is a great option and the 350 can comfortably compete with their German counterparts, but the lack of a V8 and an weak (potential) GS F is not a good sign for the future of Lexus if they want to shed their "lack of performance" image.
Well the LFA doesn't really outpower anything so I don't expect the GS F to do so either. Take your IS F for instance it could make more power but Lexus wants it to be reliable. An acceptable trade-off IMO.

Lexus is very much about emissions and MPG. Maybe the GS F gets a hybrid V-8 combo to help, I am not sure.

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I think it's sad to see them drop the V8 if it happens that way. Like you said Mike, they shot themselves in BOTH feet: weak 4.3 at launch, detuned 4.6 later, while the competition became stronger and more powerful. There is no market for a V8 GS because Lexus makes it readily apparent that they don't even take the car seriously

The other stuff sounds good...it needs Sports packages, F sport models, and more compelling wheel choices next time around.

I was kinda looking forward to a ~400HP V8 GS

However, if they can get a 0-60 of 5.0 seconds or less, 30+MPG and curb weight of less than 3,900lbs with a hybrid V6, then I am all for it
Yeah Mike, I agree with you. Looking forward to the next GSh and I agree the GS needs sport packages out the box.

Old 07-21-10, 07:53 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

12 inch screen ? Kinda big, unless I'm reading it wrong
Old 07-21-10, 08:07 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well the LFA doesn't really outpower anything so I don't expect the GS F to do so either. Take your IS F for instance it could make more power but Lexus wants it to be reliable. An acceptable trade-off IMO.
Mike, I don't disagree with you regarding the LFA, as it appears that it outhandles it's competitors without requiring excessive power (using existing track times as reference). It does a great job of everything....which allows it to compete.

The IS F doesn't need to make more power as it sits between the M3 and C63 in terms of power. As much as I love my F, the M3 handles better, with it being essentially on par with the C63. I agree that the F is more reliable than the BMW and MB....and cheaper to boot!

What I disagree with is that an underpowered GS F will compete with the E63, M5 and RS6 when it will lack handling in comparison. Reliability will not make up the difference at this level of car and this price point.

Don't get me wrong....I want the GS F to be able to compete with the Germans....but this latest info doesn't appear that way.
Old 07-21-10, 08:24 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If they aren't going to take the GS seriously, they should just outright kill it. Its well on the way to becoming the next RL.

This is a tough tough market and currently MB and BMW seem to be the only players who are able to compete. Lexus used to complete with the GS, but fell out of the game, Infiniti was competing with the M, but the new one is a disaster. Audi was never really able to compete, and I don't see it changing much.

I think right now Hyundai has a better chance taking that 3rd spot with the Genesis than either Infiniti or Lexus.
Old 07-21-10, 08:35 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
If they aren't going to take the GS seriously, they should just outright kill it. Its well on the way to becoming the next RL.

This is a tough tough market and currently MB and BMW seem to be the only players who are able to compete. Lexus used to complete with the GS, but fell out of the game, Infiniti was competing with the M, but the new one is a disaster. Audi was never really able to compete, and I don't see it changing much.
I think right now Hyundai has a better chance taking that 3rd spot with the Genesis than either Infiniti or Lexus.
How do you possibly figure that the A6 doesn't compete in this category???

They have 4 different models, plus a special edition, plus the RS6 that offer everything from tech, to luxury to performance.

The only true players in this class are the MB, BMW and Audi. Everyone else is not only playing catch up, but trying to take a huge leap.
Old 07-21-10, 08:36 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

How do you possibly figure that the A6 doesn't compete in this category???

They have 4 different models, plus a special edition, plus the RS6 that offer everything from tech, to luxury to performance.

The only true players in this class are the MB, BMW and Audi. Everyone else is not only playing catch up, but trying to take a huge leap.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but at least in the US the A6 doesn't sell.
Old 07-21-10, 08:42 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
Correct me if I'm wrong, but at least in the US the A6 doesn't sell.
Och, I'm not sure of the US sales data....but go drive one. Audi still continues to struggle in the US, but I think that's more to do with the media and all the bs they dealt with over the "false acceleration" issues. Have a peek at worldwide sales numbers and there is a reason that the rest of the world comfortably considers Audi a true Tier 1 marque.

Audi is showing the strongest growth in the NA market of any luxury brand and there is a reason for it.
Old 07-21-10, 08:50 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Och, I'm not sure of the US sales data....but go drive one. Audi still continues to struggle in the US, but I think that's more to do with the media and all the bs they dealt with over the "false acceleration" issues. Have a peek at worldwide sales numbers and there is a reason that the rest of the world comfortably considers Audi a true Tier 1 marque.

Audi is showing the strongest growth in the NA market of any luxury brand and there is a reason for it.
Well, my Audi experience is very limited, so I can't really comment, but I don't doubt your opinion, and I don't mind the underdog, it may very well be an excellent car. My statement was simply refering to the sales numbers, it simply fails to attract customers in the US.
Old 07-21-10, 09:00 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
Well, my Audi experience is very limited, so I can't really comment, but I don't doubt your opinion, and I don't mind the underdog, it may very well be an excellent car. My statement was simply refering to the sales numbers, it simply fails to attract customers in the US.
In fairness...and in reference to another current thread...it could also be the horrific dealership experience that is helping to suppress Audi's sales numbers.

I was looking at the A6 before deciding on our last SUV and spoke to a friend of mine. He's currently in an RS4 and Q7, having previously owned a couple A4's and an A6. He stated he loved the cars, but had not ever had a good experience with the dealerships whether it be sales or service.

The brutal dealership experience that I experienced was a large part of why I went back to looking at Lexus/BMW/MB.
Old 07-21-10, 09:03 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bah v8 this 550hp that.. I don't think Lexus want's to go that route. Just gimme a souped up lexus version of the Tesla S and I'll be happy. It doesn't have to play the same game as the Germans to be a winner.
Old 07-21-10, 09:11 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

In fairness...and in reference to another current thread...it could also be the horrific dealership experience that is helping to suppress Audi's sales numbers.

I was looking at the A6 before deciding on our last SUV and spoke to a friend of mine. He's currently in an RS4 and Q7, having previously owned a couple A4's and an A6. He stated he loved the cars, but had not ever had a good experience with the dealerships whether it be sales or service.

The brutal dealership experience that I experienced was a large part of why I went back to looking at Lexus/BMW/MB.
Well, another factor may be that the previous A6 model was pretty lacking compared to the competition. A friend of mine owns a 2000 A6, 2.7T, and its unimpressive to say the least. Perhaps the current A6 is haunted by the reputation of the old model.
Old 07-21-10, 09:14 PM
LexFather

Mike, I don't disagree with you regarding the LFA, as it appears that it outhandles it's competitors without requiring excessive power (using existing track times as reference). It does a great job of everything....which allows it to compete.

The IS F doesn't need to make more power as it sits between the M3 and C63 in terms of power. As much as I love my F, the M3 handles better, with it being essentially on par with the C63. I agree that the F is more reliable than the BMW and MB....and cheaper to boot!

What I disagree with is that an underpowered GS F will compete with the E63, M5 and RS6 when it will lack handling in comparison. Reliability will not make up the difference at this level of car and this price point.

Don't get me wrong....I want the GS F to be able to compete with the Germans....but this latest info doesn't appear that way.
Well I mean at some point though what can we expect. I mean we have a CTS-V for 65k which has 550hp which outpowers all the Germans for thousands less. Tens of thousands. I would like to see LExus compete here but they probably don't see much reason too (Sadly).

I think we both can agree the IS F proves people want a higher performance sedan from Lexus. A GS F is a no brainer here they HAVE to expand the F brand.

Don't get me wrong, it is disappointing. I have no idea what powerplant a GS F would even have at this point.

Originally Posted by Och

Hey man lets see the 4GS debut first before killing it Lexus should still offer a V-8 in the GS I agree.

Old 07-21-10, 11:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Why does everyone think that Lexus has to "up the power" and "increase performance" to be as "good as" the Germans? Maybe Lexus never did and doesn't plan on being German. Maybe they're just happy being Japanese?

Not everyone is a Capt. Kirk freak "I NEED MORE POWER SCOTTY !!!!" Lexus should concentrate on comfort, reliability, material quality, and just being a super nice car to own. You want power, go buy BMW/MB/Audi then... ugh.
look at the isf and you know lexus has no choice if they want to be in the game. ask yourself why the isf is being such a heavy car with a large displacement v8 with 400hp, conveniently close to the m3?

if they make the gsf, it's not going to be in the same market like the lfa. lfa is a halo project car, there are less boundaries and it's more about showing what they got.

but when you look at the market of m5, e63, and rs6, sorry to say but a lot of buyers in that segment, they look at the numbers on paper. as mentioned, upcoming m5 will have 550hp or more. mb already talks about their upcoming amg engine for the e class to have similar output. and if there comes a gsf at around 500hp, it's just going to be another very hard sell.

on the other hand, i also have to say, i see more e550 and 550i on the road compared to gs430/460. like mike said, lexus THEMSELVES killed their gs v8 line by the silly gs430 debut and then the detuned gs460
Old 07-22-10, 12:16 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Got some fresh info today and I will share to protect the CL innocent .....take it for what its worth but I think this is solid info....

Updated with what I've heard through the grapevine........

-GS 350 name will continue with a bump in HP
-GSh will continue, not sure of power/MPG bump
-GS 460 will not be replaced. The business case for the V-8 was nill since the hybrid will continue to provide V-8 power with better MPG and the V-8 GS never sold well (though this is IMO some of their own doing with the V-8s the 3GS got)
-Interior is amazing, a significant step up i style and quality, CTish
-12" screen in the interior with remote touch
-The drive will be significantly sportier and more in tune with the 5 series
-GS F is likely coming but hasn't been given the 100% approval yet
-Exterior a blend of curves with the traditional GS features

I'm expecting we will see some photos soon
How soon is soon?

Damn, I can't wait to see what a next gen GS-F looks like.
Old 07-22-10, 01:08 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they make a GS-F, the IS-F is gone, it is just too small for me. (My wife doesn't mind it though.)

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)