GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-10, 08:37 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

^^^ ah yeah, since its a 'remote touch', then most likely it will be up there. Which is not that bad
Old 07-24-10, 09:44 AM
DaBeast
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From a Lexus insider I got a little scoop as to what is going on w/ the GS. The 350 and the 450 (Hybrid) will be carried over. Possibly with new number badges but in essence the same cars. There is a GS "fast" car being designed but they are keeping it hush hush and it is under a code name. Keep in mind they have already come out w/ F Sport parts for the GS so Lexus does see the market for a high performance sedan to try and compete with the M5. But they know they need to be real competition in order to be taken seriously. I know it just adds to the rumor mills but this is from a good source.
Old 07-24-10, 01:07 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DaBeast
From a Lexus insider I got a little scoop as to what is going on w/ the GS. The 350 and the 450 (Hybrid) will be carried over. Possibly with new number badges but in essence the same cars. There is a GS "fast" car being designed but they are keeping it hush hush and it is under a code name. Keep in mind they have already come out w/ F Sport parts for the GS so Lexus does see the market for a high performance sedan to try and compete with the M5. But they know they need to be real competition in order to be taken seriously. I know it just adds to the rumor mills but this is from a good source.
Sounds like they won't have a competitor to the BMW 550i at launch. GS450h would be too slow (won't have a sub 5 second 0-60 time), and the fast car won't be available till later.

Don't really want an M5 competitor. Just want something that is like the new BMW 550i - super fast, and with well separated comfort and sport modes that do as the name describes.
Old 07-24-10, 01:37 PM
DaBeast
Driver

Originally Posted by batman75
Sounds like they won't have a competitor to the BMW 550i at launch. GS450h would be too slow (won't have a sub 5 second 0-60 time), and the fast car won't be available till later.

Don't really want an M5 competitor. Just want something that is like the new BMW 550i - super fast, and with well separated comfort and sport modes that do as the name describes.
Well the 350 will have a carry over I hope that they make the motor right from the get go and it should be a great car.
Old 07-26-10, 09:25 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

they think the gs fsport is enough? umm... can't say i agree at all, i have driven the fsport and it's nothing really that exciting as when i drive the m5/e63.

if they simply just carry over the 350 and 450h drivetrain without any changes / bump in performance, to be honest, it will be 2006 all over again...
Old 07-26-10, 11:09 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
they think the gs fsport is enough? umm... can't say i agree at all, i have driven the fsport and it's nothing really that exciting as when i drive the m5/e63.

if they simply just carry over the 350 and 450h drivetrain without any changes / bump in performance, to be honest, it will be 2006 all over again...
I agree. It will be a weak start for the new model. They won't increase market share with the same powertrains. They will just stop the bleeding.

Plus I think given competitor moves, it is likely the new car will be a little larger - to improve the rear leg room. bigger car with same engines is not a good recipe.

They need to launch the car with new engines. I think a 330hp V6, a 380hp Hybrid, and a 400hp+ V8.
Old 07-26-10, 11:54 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by batman75
I agree. It will be a weak start for the new model. They won't increase market share with the same powertrains. They will just stop the bleeding.

Plus I think given competitor moves, it is likely the new car will be a little larger - to improve the rear leg room. bigger car with same engines is not a good recipe.

They need to launch the car with new engines. I think a 330hp V6, a 380hp Hybrid, and a 400hp+ V8.
they started out so bad (overall) with the 3gs, underpowered gs300 and gs430, back in 2006, imho causing the 3gs to never really get as much traction and haven't been as successful as the 2is and 4ls. if they repeat the mistake again with the 4gs, i don't know what to say. by comparison, i would rather have them delay the car until newer, more powerful and efficient engines come out.
Old 07-26-10, 08:32 PM
DaBeast
Driver

I think if they do a GS-F it has to have over 500bhp. They can't fall far from that mark if they want to have any shot of making an impact.
Old 07-26-10, 08:35 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

I think if they do a GS-F it has to have over 500bhp. They can't fall far from that mark if they want to have any shot of making an impact.
Agree. Otherwise it's just a V8 model not a uber-sedan.
Old 07-28-10, 10:31 AM
mikesm
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Updated with what I've heard through the grapevine........

-GS 350 name will continue with a bump in HP
-GSh will continue, not sure of power/MPG bump
-GS 460 will not be replaced. The business case for the V-8 was nill since the hybrid will continue to provide V-8 power with better MPG and the V-8 GS never sold well (though this is IMO some of their own doing with the V-8s the 3GS got)
-Interior is amazing, a significant step up i style and quality
-12" screen in the interior with remote touch
-The drive will be significantly sportier and more in tune with the 5 series
-GS F is likely coming but hasn't been given the 100% approval yet
-Exterior a blend of curves with the traditional GS features

I'm expecting we will see some photos soon
Interesting info. What do you mean a 12" screen with "remote touch"? I've never heard the term remote touch before. Is this like an ipad or something?

Is this supposed to debut in 2012 or earlier?
Old 07-28-10, 10:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by mikesm
Interesting info. What do you mean a 12" screen with "remote touch"? I've never heard the term remote touch before. Is this like an ipad or something?

Is this supposed to debut in 2012 or earlier?
look at the navigation system on the rx, that "mouse" thing is remote touch
Old 07-28-10, 12:35 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Larger screen can fit better with remote touch, as the screen can be pushed forward, keeping interior room up. I'd like to see also an even more luxurious cabin, with Ultra-Luxe pkg type features, to further justify the price hike over the ES (and if it encroaches on LS territory, so be it--a more sport style can differentiate somewhat). Heck, maybe the LS Sport interior could provide a hint.

They *should* have updated nav, systems etc to take advantage of a 12" screen; Denso just signed a deal with Microsoft (i.e. Sync) which may be for future systems. A HUD could be a likely option, with $$$, given that HS and RX have it.

Now for engines, definitely from the enthusiast POV it was unappetizing to have carry-over powerplants. One notes however that the E350 has a carry-over engine which hasn't hurt its sales at all (but then again, it's MB and they also have only 1 main mid-size sedan class). I fully expect the GS 350 to continue, question simply is whether the engine is a total carry-over or whether it will be retuned for more oomph. For the hybrid I expect a more thorough revision. No V8 for now by the rumors, save GS-F.
Old 07-28-10, 12:50 PM
mikesm
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
look at the navigation system on the rx, that "mouse" thing is remote touch
Ugh, a mouse. What kind of stupid name is remote touch for a mouse? Does the touchscreen still work and you can use the mouse too, or is the screen not touchable at all any more?

Sync is designed to support a touchscreen, so I can't image it working for this. I'd love to see the ford sync system in a lexus though. Programmability is huge.
Old 07-28-10, 12:55 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikesm
Ugh, a mouse. What kind of stupid name is remote touch for a mouse? Does the touchscreen still work and you can use the mouse too, or is the screen not touchable at all any more?

Sync is designed to support a touchscreen, so I can't image it working for this. I'd love to see the ford sync system in a lexus though. Programmability is huge.
It's called remote touch because there is force feedback, you can 'feel' the screen buttons as your hand uses the mouse. The Remote Touch system is used on the HS, RX, LFA, while touchscreen on the GX...the screen is set far ahead, recessed usually, not touchable.
Old 07-28-10, 01:04 PM
mikesm
Rookie

Originally Posted by encore888
It's called remote touch because there is force feedback, you can 'feel' the screen buttons as your hand uses the mouse. The Remote Touch system is used on the HS, RX, LFA, while touchscreen on the GX...the screen is set far ahead, recessed usually, not touchable.
Sigh... The computer industry has been using mice and screens for a long time, but now touchscreens are all the rage. Why is lexus going backward? Is it that hard to put a large screen in the dash in a way that is easy to access?

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)