GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-10, 11:48 PM
LexFather

Well I've heard it will drive "Revolutionary" whatever that means Again RWD torque vectoring is a strong possibility.

Old 08-11-10, 01:17 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well I've heard it will drive "Revolutionary" whatever that means Again RWD torque vectoring is a strong possibility.
Given what Toyota has learned with the LFA and ISF, I would certainly hope so . Anticipation is quite high for the 4GS, so I hope Lexus delivers.
Old 08-11-10, 05:41 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I would like to see a ~370hp hybrid capable of at least 30MPG combined. Gas prices and efficiency will be more important in the coming years, IMO.
I don't think gas prices are something that the people in this tier of buying power are worried about. I did not look at MPGs 1 second before buying my GS. If you're wanting 30mpg...you're in the wrong class of car. People want power, and with the weight of these "sport" sedans, you have to sacrifice something.
Old 08-11-10, 05:51 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ I would venture to disagree with you. No, I don't think luxury buyers are as sensitive to fuel costs as say, someone shopping for a Toyota, but it IS an important consideration.

Throughout my years working in dealerships, I was witness to several conversations regarding gas mileage, fuel grades, and ways to increase efficiency. People really do care, IMO. Nobody gets well-off or wealthy by wasting money, plus, ~$40-50K for a new car really isn't that expensive or out of range for people.

If you had your choices narrowed down to the E350 which got 18/26, or a GS 3?0 which could do 22/30...would that not be a determining factor?

Last edited by MPLexus301; 08-11-10 at 06:00 AM.
Old 08-11-10, 06:52 AM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I too dont believe mpg is a huge cocnern among sport sedan buyers. With that being said, I would not buy one that only gets 15-16 mpg at it's best, but where the Lexus GS sits currently with mph, it is of no concern to me personally.

Yes I agree the anticipation on the 4th gen. GS is high. Lexus really needs to put out an outstanding model that not only brings them up to the same standards as found on their competition, but surpasses them by a measurable amount in most catagories in order to stand out as the clear choice.

Upgrading the transmissions to 8-speeds seems like a logical choice to help out with efficiency. Upgrading the traditional gas V8 north of 400 hp, while gaining mpg is necissary as well. Loosing the V8 in THIS class is a big no no. I for one won't buy a vehicle in the middle and upper sport sedan class with anything but a V8. The key is to loose weight. Lexus should incorporate heavy use of carbon fiber and alluminum into the whole structure of the car, not just a few body panels here and there.

As far as styling goes, Lexus really has to step up their game and come out with a GS that is absolutely stunning to look at, much like the 2nd gen. GS was for it's time.

As it sits right now, I would choose a 2011 BMW 550 with the real MANUAL transmission. This is hard for me to say as I am not a big BMW fan due to their negative persona they have (much like what is given to Hummer drivers), but I see it as the best car in it's class in terms of styling, V8 power, transmission choice and luxury content. The only thing it lacks is a light weight body.

More than anything I want to love the new GS. So hopefully Lexus will get it right.
Old 08-11-10, 10:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

there are two types of buyers in this segment. one is about having the car for its size, image, etc... those are more "sensible" owners, and a lot of times they go with the v6 version. for those buyers, gas mileage is a factor, and probably on the heavier side

the other type of buyers, they care more about being top in the game, they want power and performance. i can assure you most of them don't really care that much about gas mileage. they consider that as part of the game "pay to play". i am not saying gas mileage isn't a factor, if they can get good power and performance, and at the same time they see good mileage, superb. but when consider getting the car, they hardly look at the gas mileage and say wow this is not my car.

think of it the "extreme" as m owners. do they really care about gas mileage? true owners, they don't. if there is a gsf with 550hp and able to get avg 20mpg, is that good? of course. but that'd be one of the last spec they look at
Old 08-11-10, 11:28 AM
LexFather

Some next GS hints....

Originally Posted by speedflex
https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...Humphries.html

I hope this isn't a repost.

Changes coming
Lexus’ head of global design tells us what’s next on the Lexus look-and-feel front.

By Brian Gill and Doug Knox

It’s about five weeks before the first 2011 Lexus models start arriving at Lexus dealerships, so we thought this would be the perfect time to catch up with Lexus’ head of global design, Simon Humphries, to see what’s coming down the pike:

Lexus: First of all, now that we know that the 2011 IS will have body changes, are there any big design updates coming for other 2011 models?

HUMPHRIES: At this point I can say only that there will also be a change in the front-end design of the GS, most likely arriving in 2012. Both the IS and future GS updates are dramatic changes—they’re much more distinctive, much more unique. In our minds, these aren't complete black to white sort of changes, but they are an evolution.

Okay, how about the larger picture. We’ve heard more and more that Lexus vehicles will be changing, but what are the specifics there, at least from your perspective?

I think our biggest change we’ve been working on comes down to one issue, and that’s that Lexus is now heavily focused on being a driver’s vehicle. In other words, in the luxury market, I think that all manufacturers have got to decide whether they’re going to produce formal ride-in-the-back-type prestige cars or vehicles that are meant to be thrilling to drive. Lexus is definitely now heavily emphasizing, and will continue to do so, a driving-oriented ideology—cars that are completely driver focused. The LFA is, of course, a symbol of that change in many ways.

How does this translate to your world, vehicle design? We’ve noticed that the shapes and angles of Lexus vehicles are getting somewhat sharper and edgier.

Yes, that’s been a very conscious decision. With the focus on a fun driving experience, we’ll eventually be taking the entire line in a much bolder design direction, which isn’t just about the car as a whole. Like I said, you’ll soon see that in the identity of the front-ends, like the IS and GS for 2011. But if you want to see what I’m talking about right now, take a look at the face of the CT 200h; the grille design is bold, very distinctive. That is something we intend to take through the whole line, so you can look forward to that, perhaps, in each model’s next generation.

Looking out a few years, what do you see as the main challenge for automobile designers?

Well, the relationship between human and machine is obviously becoming a very, very heavy connection. We saw this years ago, and even devised a design philosophy that takes advantage of it, a notion of “anticipation.” In other words, we decided to design vehicles that are “aware” of what the driver needs before he or she does, and to make the connection a pleasant, intuitive experience.

Can you give us a real example of a Lexus design solution here?

The Remote Touch system is a good example. Here you have a technology that makes it easier to control other technologies. We deliberately placed the device near the driver, so you can see it. It’s almost a seating-control situation, so everything is together: the driver in the seat, the device right next to the seat, and the screen in the same panel as the device. Through design, there is a natural connection between the human and the technology. It's, of course, already in the RX and HS 250h, and will be in the CT 200h as well.

Finally, how do you see other forms of power affecting automotive design?

Personally, I think there needs to be more investigation, and perhaps more open-mindedness in the industry, as to what actually defines a car. As we move further into the electric era, it will be impossible to make cars in the same ways we do now, which Lexus already knows. And it won’t be as simple as switching from gasoline to electrically powered vehicles. Some types of automobiles will be made for certain energies, and others will be ideal for other energy types. So this is also going to create a lot of change and variety in automotive design packaging. It will be a very interesting time, I think.

Old 08-11-10, 01:53 PM
jjbenzo
Advanced

So are they saying we will see just a "new face" for 2012, or a new face on a completely new GS?
Old 08-11-10, 02:17 PM
BLAQ ICE
Driver

Default Check the RX

Originally Posted by jjbenzo
So are they saying we will see just a "new face" for 2012, or a new face on a completely new GS?

The 4th Gen could be redesigned like the RX. The Current model RX doesn't look too different from the previous Gen RX. The inside is entirely different, so maybe Lexus changes the 4th Gen GS interior entirely but curves the outside a little and changes the head/tail lights.
Old 08-11-10, 03:22 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

The 3RX is a completely full redesign; yes the exterior is not a radical change, but why should it be? BMW and Audi never make radical changes to their exteriors, yet they are never criticized for it.

I think maybe those comments mean the 4GS will be a full redesign with an evolutionary exterior. I take the comments to mean the exterior will be new, but it won't be a radical change. In other words, it should still definitely look like a GS. Or at least, that's what I hope.
Old 08-11-10, 04:15 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I found that interview a bit disturbing.
HUMPHRIES: At this point I can say only that there will also be a change in the front-end design of the GS, most likely arriving in 2012.
That doesn't sound like an all new model to me.

HUMPHRIES: Both the IS and future GS updates are dramatic changes—they’re much more distinctive, much more unique... But if you want to see what I’m talking about right now, take a look at the face of the CT 200h; the grille design is bold, very distinctive.
Seems like this guy is delusional. This grille is neither bold nor distinctive. I could stick a Toyota badge, a Honda badge, a Hyundai badge, a KIA badge - none of those would like out of place on this grille:

Last edited by *Batman*; 08-11-10 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-11-10, 06:29 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
the other type of buyers, they care more about being top in the game, they want power and performance. i can assure you most of them don't really care that much about gas mileage. they consider that as part of the game "pay to play". i am not saying gas mileage isn't a factor, if they can get good power and performance, and at the same time they see good mileage, superb. but when consider getting the car, they hardly look at the gas mileage and say wow this is not my car.

think of it the "extreme" as m owners. do they really care about gas mileage? true owners, they don't. if there is a gsf with 550hp and able to get avg 20mpg, is that good? of course. but that'd be one of the last spec they look at
This is me. I get < 15 MPG, but by God, the power is there when I want it. I didn't "splurge" for the V8 because there wasn't enough HP increase to justify the extra $6K. GSF better have the engine, otherwise, game over.

Also...WiTF are they thinking designing all the front ends like the CTH, and putting remote touch in. Shoot me now.
Old 08-12-10, 07:38 AM
jjbenzo
Advanced

I agree, the remote touch is a step back. People expect touch-screen. I love the touch-screen in our GS430. It is simple to use and much more appealing to me than a mouse.
Old 08-12-10, 10:46 AM
Lexzam
Driver

Originally Posted by jjbenzo
I was wondering the same. Having read it again, I nevertheless think that a 'big design update' can only be a new generation with new design clues after the 'Lexus finesse' generation. Such clues would be repeated in some form in other new generation models to follow.
Old 08-12-10, 11:07 AM
LexFather

I dunno. Like batman and others the "CT grille" comment really leaves me underwhelmed.

I don't want it to gain 300-500 lbs.

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)