GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-10, 11:10 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just faxed my order to the Tahara, Japan plant. I was not able to translate but I swear it said my GSF will arrive on November 1st, 2010 and thank you very much for your order Mike
Old 08-12-10, 08:26 PM
LB23
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
The 3RX is a completely full redesign; yes the exterior is not a radical change, but why should it be? BMW and Audi never make radical changes to their exteriors, yet they are never criticized for it.

I think maybe those comments mean the 4GS will be a full redesign with an evolutionary exterior. I take the comments to mean the exterior will be new, but it won't be a radical change. In other words, it should still definitely look like a GS. Or at least, that's what I hope.
Really? Never?
Did u see the E60? Do you see now the F10?
They are completely different, radical changes in their exteriors.
And yes, they have been criticized.
Old 08-12-10, 08:28 PM
LB23
Driver

Originally Posted by batman75
I found that interview a bit disturbing.

That doesn't sound like an all new model to me.

Seems like this guy is delusional. This grille is neither bold nor distinctive. I could stick a Toyota badge, a Honda badge, a Hyundai badge, a KIA badge - none of those would like out of place on this grille:
I agree.
And now I have to write more so I can post this.
Old 08-12-10, 08:31 PM
LB23
Driver

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Looking at the competition, I think Lexus has an opportunity to capitalize on weaknesses that the new 5 and E have, but as others have said, they need to go big or go home.

The new 5 is a big car, and quite heavy. It's also relatively bland when you consider what people expect from BMW. It's arguably no longer the "ultimate driving machine" at 4400 lbs.

The E has lackluster engines, though those will be updated soon, and an interior and exterior design that is not for everyone.

The M is struggling out of the gate and has it's share of weaknesses - transmission mapping, styling (depening on who you are), and it's no longer an inexpensive car.

Of course we can count on the new A6 looking like an A4 with two more inches of space in every dimension, and I really don't think American's are buying into Audi's sedans. The Q5, A5, Q7, and R8 are hot, but people aren't really going nuts over the new A4 or A8. Even the A7 has barely raised eyebrows.

Considering the competitive field, I see a big void for something dramatically styled, good looking, and sporty - BMW has (believe it or not) abandoned this post in favor of something more mainstream. The 5 design was polarizing before, but has since lost it's touch. The E, IMO, is not aging very well and the M's looks are debatable.

Lexus has a chance to come in with something that really WOWS the general public in terms of performance, design, and execution. If they can create a car as beautiful and original as the 2GS was in its time, beef up the driving dynamics and enthusiast appeal, and pack it full of technology, I think Lexus stands to see huge success with the 4GS. That said, those are some decidedly un-lexus-like characteristics, but I do have hope.

The V6 is already one of the best engines in it's class...with another 30hp and an 8AT it could be a top performer and even more frugal. I think it would be very sad to see them drop the V8 model due to existing demand - the reason that the car hasn't succeeded is that they have treated it like the red headed step child. It's THEIR fault.

I would like to see a ~370hp hybrid capable of at least 30MPG combined. Gas prices and efficiency will be more important in the coming years, IMO.

Also consider...by the time this car comes out the E and 5 will no longer be new, the XF will be old, and the general public won't be able to tell the difference between the A6 and A3 sedan . The stage really will be set for a car to come in and turn this class on it's ear...the problem? That's a tall order, and in the last few years Lexus hasn't exactly been shooting for the sky with every product.

Time will tell...

There you go

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...i-a6.html#more

"Scheduled to arrive late in 2011, our spy photographers have caught the 2012 Audi A6 testing. We're expecting the 2012 A6 to debut with an eight-speed automatic transmission or a seven-speed S-tronic dual-clutch transmission. On the low-end, the US is expected to see a four-cyl model while the 4.0-liter single-turbo direct-injection V8 will sit atop the A6 line. "
Old 08-12-10, 10:37 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LB23
Really? Never?
Did u see the E60? Do you see now the F10?
They are completely different, radical changes in their exteriors.
And yes, they have been criticized.
You're right, I meant almost never.
Old 08-12-10, 11:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

The 3RX is a completely full redesign; yes the exterior is not a radical change, but why should it be? BMW and Audi never make radical changes to their exteriors, yet they are never criticized for it.

I think maybe those comments mean the 4GS will be a full redesign with an evolutionary exterior. I take the comments to mean the exterior will be new, but it won't be a radical change. In other words, it should still definitely look like a GS. Or at least, that's what I hope.
lol for the record i have been criticizing bmw interiors (until the f10), even my m3.

but then again it's more about what you get the car for. i surely don't get bmw for their interior details and design. but on the other hand, if i get lexus i would care very much about the interior, comfort, details, styling
Old 08-14-10, 06:47 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Prediction: the GSF will arrive in 2013 to commemorate 20 years of GS
Old 08-14-10, 01:30 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Prediction: the GSF will arrive in 2013 to commemorate 20 years of GS
I hope that's true, with the 4GS arriving in late 2011 or early 2012. That gives a year gap between the regular GS debut and the GSF.
Old 08-14-10, 04:34 PM
designo
Pole Position

Received 468 Likes on 290 Posts

For all those with a V8 GS, hang on to them cause they are no longer! YES mark my words, no more V8 for 4GS.
Old 08-14-10, 04:40 PM
LexFather

I hope that's true, with the 4GS arriving in late 2011 or early 2012. That gives a year gap between the regular GS debut and the GSF.
A fear is again, the GS debuts with not a huge bang but with a light bang and a year later the GS F debuts. I guess though with the next M5 coming they are waiting (though anybody can figure out what that car will be).

The next A6 should also debut in Geneva this fall.

I can only assume if the V-8 is dropped then I can only assume the next GSh will be even more of a V-8 substitute. We know that the new Cayenne hybrid and M35 hybrid have hp around the 380hp range, on par with many V-8s.

Now having a 2GS V-8 twice and a current GSh and having driven every GS there is outside of the throaty growl (which isn't that pronounced anyway) I prefer the tech of the hybrid. Funny but if I went back to a V-8 it would be something that is specific like a IS F or M3 or a future GS F. I don't really desire a V-8 in a car that is not some sort of sport model anymore. That is just me though and clearly my feelings have changed over the years. It maybe Lexus feels the same.

I really like BMWs approach. 530-230hp or so, 535-300hp, 550-400hp, M5-550hp

Originally Posted by designo
For all those with a V8 GS, hang on to them cause they are no longer! YES mark my words, no more V8 for 4GS.
Post 69 agrees with you

Last edited by LexFather; 08-14-10 at 04:45 PM.

Old 08-14-10, 05:04 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^ I think the difference is that the 550i is a bit of a halo car in itself so they don't need the M5 for a bang. We're already reading the auto magazine articles about the 550i doing 0-60 in 4.9 seconds, and it will be a lot better once the Dinan chip is out.

I think the Audi A6 is going to be a flop. The problem with Audi is they are raising their prices into BMW territory, but they have run out of imagination. You will get a car which looks very similar to the old one for $5-10k more. Where's the appeal in that?

Last edited by *Batman*; 08-14-10 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-15-10, 01:08 PM
LB23
Driver

Since the name BMW has been said a few times here, let`s see what BMW thinks of Lexus:

" Tom Kowaleski, director of communications for BMW USA, told Inside Line"

"If you're wondering, the Lexus RX (and/or anything smaller that Lexus might choose to sell us) is not regarded as a key rival, and Kowaleski notes that Lexus is not seen as a cross-shopping threat for any BMW models."

How about that?
Old 08-15-10, 02:34 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Since the name BMW has been said a few times here, let`s see what BMW thinks of Lexus:

"If you're wondering, the Lexus RX (and/or anything smaller that Lexus might choose to sell us) is not regarded as a key rival, and Kowaleski notes that Lexus is not seen as a cross-shopping threat for any BMW models."

How about that?
I don't think they're right. I came to Lexus after 4 consecutive BMWs and I know a lot of others.

That said it's highly likely I'll be back at BMW next year.
Old 08-15-10, 04:26 PM
LB23
Driver

Originally Posted by batman75
I don't think they're right. I came to Lexus after 4 consecutive BMWs and I know a lot of others.

That said it's highly likely I'll be back at BMW next year.
I don`t think they are right either. I take it you are going to get a 550i?
Nonetheless, I agree with them in the sense that whenever you look for a sport luxury sedan, you think BMW first and foremost, not Lexus.

When I thought of Lexus, it was like , a good comfy luxo barge for old people or just people looking for a relaxed smooth isolated ride.
Instead, for the ride of an enthusiast, for the sporty ride with luxury and technology added as a bonus, BMW comes first when you think about.

At least for me, Lexus was never in my horizon, it is until know that I got this car that Im starting to appreciate what it can do and yes, what it still lacks.
Old 08-15-10, 04:37 PM
LexFather

How about that?
Thats b/c Lexus owners buy their cars and BMW drivers lease them I don't think most would cross shop the X5 or X3 with the RX. What we do know is the RX created the segment they now enjoy (hell they have a X1 now) and the RX outsells all BMW SUVS combined.

Euro press comments are usually egotistical anyway. You know they built the greatest cars in the world and all. (true for the 911 )

I enjoy BMW for being BMW, I like LExus for being Lexus. If Lexus wants to be sporty while still providing Lexus characteristics I'm all for it. Hell BMWs are softer like a Lexus today. They no longer make E30s The new 5 is big, quiet, heavy and comfy. Yes it handles great in sport mode but quite like a Lexus in non sport mode.

All the brands are blurring.

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)