GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-10, 04:59 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually think BMW does have Lexus on their minds. They were thinking of Lexus when they decided to go for Electric steering, they were the first to follow Lexus to an 8 speed transmission. They have the GS350 present at the BMW 5 test drive event in Miami. They say they don't compete with Lexus, but they talk about Lexus quite often.
Old 08-17-10, 01:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i am more than sure mb, lexus, bmw they all look at each other when they make changes / designs, etc... as much as they deny it or anything. they are all just good references when they try to work on future products.
Old 08-17-10, 01:46 PM
designo
Pole Position

Received 470 Likes on 292 Posts

I was shocked when I first saw the new 7 series..... how it resembled the Lexus LS.
Old 08-17-10, 03:39 PM
G2GS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you think that BMW builds a luxury car...you are mad.

A performance sedan, yes. But a luxury sedan...not even close.

I remember reading a quote in a Euro mag where the head of BMW development said that, and I paraphrase, "BMW builds drivers cars, we leave the luxury to others."

The designs and materials used in all BMW interiors would not make it into any Lexus.
Old 08-17-10, 05:18 PM
designo
Pole Position

Received 470 Likes on 292 Posts

Marketing gimmicks and talks!

When I pay for and invest in a product, I will call it anything I feel like calling it!
Old 08-17-10, 05:41 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by G2GS
If you think that BMW builds a luxury car...you are mad.

A performance sedan, yes. But a luxury sedan...not even close.

I remember reading a quote in a Euro mag where the head of BMW development said that, and I paraphrase, "BMW builds drivers cars, we leave the luxury to others."

The designs and materials used in all BMW interiors would not make it into any Lexus.
I don't agree. A 5 series fully equipped is much more luxurious than a Lexus. For instance:
1) In comfort mode the 5 series can deliver a softer ride than the GS and better insulate you from rough roads. We don't have a comfort mode.
2) 5 series has a leather dash option whereas on the GS we are stuck with a hard plastic dash which feels cheaper than the stuff they use in the new Taurus.
3) 5 series has a heated steering wheel option where GS does not
4) 5 series has more luxurious wood finishes like anthracite, 2 headliner options, more leather color variations.
5) 5 series uses less plastic throughout the interior
6) 5 series doesn't make sounds of things being loose when going over bumps. e.g. sunroof thump we have over potholes, or chassis flexing when hitting a joint on a ramp.
7) 5 series has a larger 10" display, with HD, and a Head up display to make navigation more convenient.

In fact the only luxury I can find in the GS that isn't on the 5 series is the wooden steering wheel. And I think a heated wheel is a better luxury than a wooden one.

I challenge you to find any luxury Lexus has that BMW doesn't other than the wooden wheel in this class.
Old 08-17-10, 05:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by designo
I was shocked when I first saw the new 7 series..... how it resembled the Lexus LS.
when the ls came out, same thing some people say it somewhat resembled the 7 series (which i somewhat agreed)
Old 08-18-10, 07:01 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by batman75
I don't agree. A 5 series fully equipped is much more luxurious than a Lexus. For instance:
1) In comfort mode the 5 series can deliver a softer ride than the GS and better insulate you from rough roads. We don't have a comfort mode.
2) 5 series has a leather dash option whereas on the GS we are stuck with a hard plastic dash which feels cheaper than the stuff they use in the new Taurus.
3) 5 series has a heated steering wheel option where GS does not
4) 5 series has more luxurious wood finishes like anthracite, 2 headliner options, more leather color variations.
5) 5 series uses less plastic throughout the interior
6) 5 series doesn't make sounds of things being loose when going over bumps. e.g. sunroof thump we have over potholes, or chassis flexing when hitting a joint on a ramp.
7) 5 series has a larger 10" display, with HD, and a Head up display to make navigation more convenient.

In fact the only luxury I can find in the GS that isn't on the 5 series is the wooden steering wheel. And I think a heated wheel is a better luxury than a wooden one.

I challenge you to find any luxury Lexus has that BMW doesn't other than the wooden wheel in this class.

I suspect they have corrected this shortcoming on the new 2011, but getting ventilated seats on a 5 series was virtually impossible. That is a big deal to me in Houston.
Old 08-18-10, 09:50 PM
LexFather

Well to be fair the 5 is a newer vehicle by what 5-6 years now. There still is no 5 series hybrid. I completely agree though BMW will simply offer more options and to many people that is a great thing.

Old 08-19-10, 08:18 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Lexus, when they have been successful, made better equipped more luxurious cars than it's German rivals. This was true of every LS model, the first 2 GS models, and the RX.

It is in contrast to the Hyundai Genesis which is 90% of the car at 60% of the price. Their goal is to be cheaper and better value, but not to be better.

I think this new GS will be a moment of truth for Lexus. We will see whether they aim to be better, or aim also to be 90%. I really hope they take the high road.
Old 08-19-10, 10:59 AM
LB23
Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Thats b/c Lexus owners buy their cars and BMW drivers lease them I don't think most would cross shop the X5 or X3 with the RX. What we do know is the RX created the segment they now enjoy (hell they have a X1 now) and the RX outsells all BMW SUVS combined.

Euro press comments are usually egotistical anyway. You know they built the greatest cars in the world and all. (true for the 911 )

I enjoy BMW for being BMW, I like LExus for being Lexus. If Lexus wants to be sporty while still providing Lexus characteristics I'm all for it. Hell BMWs are softer like a Lexus today. They no longer make E30s The new 5 is big, quiet, heavy and comfy. Yes it handles great in sport mode but quite like a Lexus in non sport mode.

All the brands are blurring.
Yeah 1sicklex, I agree.
I`ve just finished reading the august 2010 Car n Driver comparo in which the 535i finished last, and the Audi A6 won, and they said exactly that of the new 5.
They talked about how the new EPS lacks steering feel, it is now uncommunicative and also got heavier, which tanked the fun to drive ranking.
Also how the car "felt larger, more solid, as if BMW were withdrawing some of the "sport" half of the equation in favor of full execuliner status."
They also talked about BMW cachet and all that, what impressed me was the EPA ratings, 20 city/ 29 hwy. Wow, thats fuel efficient!!! Probably best in class.
And yes, I like what BMW and what Lexus can bring to the table.
Lets have fun eating!!
Old 09-01-10, 07:09 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

the most important "thing" the next GS needs better Design, it's all about the sheet metal and driving dynamics. Next IMO is good marketing/advertising. But Lexus will focus on Technology and maybe HP, which I don't think customer care for too much in this segment, since most opt for V6's, as long as the Tech and HP is comparable to the competition. I believe the following will be offered for 4th gen GS.

Exterior:
Quad Headlights
Led intergraded Headlights
Slightly sportier exterior, but not "Huge Change" like the Lexus Reps are trying to imply. Comparable to 2RX to 3RX changes, notthing radical! Maybe the overall interior design might look more radical.

Interior:
Remote Touch
12" Navi Display w/ Spilt Screen for DVD's Playback
Recessed Display like HS
3D/Birdview redenering Navi (3D for Metro Areas)
Lane Keep Assist
Lane Departure Warning
Intelligent Cruise Control
Heads-up Display with touch-sensitive steering-wheel control status
LCD Instrument Cluster (LF-A style)
Paddle Shifter (LF-A style)
Maybe more radical shift gate design
Blind Spot Warning
Night Vision
Remote Start
Cameras in Side Mirror

I think these are a given, lets see what new things they come up with!!!
Old 09-01-10, 07:56 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 211 Likes on 145 Posts

I fail to understand how you keep the "GS design" by going the route of moving the navi screen way up into the dash and incorporating a mouse. The way the GS has always been is for easy touch screen access. This is like someone trying to convince me that driving a manual tranny is easier than an automatic. (you're an idiot, if you think this).

My wife has the new RX and I can't stand the remote touch. Now if Lexus is just trying to deter from manually typing in the address (which is easy on a touch screen) so that you'll use their pay for use destination uplink...whatever.
Old 09-08-10, 11:55 PM
Dema
Pole Position

Indeed losing touch screen is a big deal, however it doesn't work in motion anyway. So other makers just put accent on voice entry, which is near of perfect for Lexus. So to catch up with Europeans, lifting screen on top of dash is not bad idea making voice control as main input for it.
Old 09-09-10, 12:04 AM
Dema
Pole Position

For those who argue that F10 BMW can be better than GS, do not forget that fully loaded 535i with head up display and all these electronics gizmos has MSRP $68K when fully equipped GS350 is just $52K. I can take LS460 for $68K with extra smooth V8 and it will be much better car than 535i.

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)