GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-10, 12:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Dema
I am not sure it is fair. I did shopping for a new car this summer and although I did test most of new models of competitors, GS was my finalist. It was a dealer fault that I ended by a different car.
well in the end it's most definitely subjective when it comes to car shopping. if anything, i would say it's not "fair" coz' the new 4gs is somewhat around the corner. by then it would be a more level playing ground

however if i were to shop for one today? the 3gs will be considered but honestly not that high up on the list
Old 09-28-10, 05:19 PM
LB23
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"The halo car marketing campaign will end sometime next year, company officials tell us -- just in time for Lexus to shift the focus to the redesigned GS. Perhaps, that sounds a bit odd, seeing as how the Lexus GS is the invisible midsize luxury sedan, but we're told the next car will have quite a bit more edge to it, at least in the styling and powertrain departments."

Source: InsideLine.
Old 09-28-10, 06:49 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 214 Likes on 146 Posts

From LexusEnthusiast.com

"◦GS: The next-generation GS will arrive in the spring of next year on a new shared platform and a longer wheelbase, while retaining the V6/V8/Hybrid powertrains. A GS-F has been prototype, but is not expected to make it to production. As for the styling, Automotive News says the “design of the GS will feature a long dash-to-axle ratio and a reprise of its signature stubby trunk, while the roofline will be a constant-radius swoop.”

◦IS: 2013 will see the debut of the third generation IS, which will be built on a shortened version of the GS’ shared platform.

◦LS: A redesign for the 2013 model year is expected, with a focus on reducing the weight generated by all the technology & safety features.

◦ES: Due to be redesigned as a 2012 model, the next-gen ES will be getting “more angular and active styling”, and may be offered in a hybrid.

◦HSh: Should the Prius receive a lithium battery pack in 2012, the HSh should follow.

◦SC: The next-generation SC will not be offered as a convertible.

◦LFA: A roadster version of the Lexus supercar could appear in 2014.

Most of these predictions summarize current rumors, with a few twists: No GS-F would be a disappointment, but the on-off nature of this V10 super-sedan means there’s no way to know for sure, just as there’s no way to guess if a LFA roadster will ever make it into production.

Also mentioned is the possibility of a brand new model:
VX: A seven-seat, car-based large crossover above the RX 350 is possible. Owners have told Lexus that towing is not as important as driveability and seating capacity. Lexus is studying a competitor to the BMW X6 crossover based on the next generation of the GS/IS platform.
With the RX straddling the line between small & large crossover classes, it’s hard to predict which side of the equation a new model would come up on. A large 7-seater may very well be in the works, but what about a smaller version of the RX instead?"
Old 09-28-10, 11:31 PM
Dema
Pole Position

GS is really invisible. I just read some review about new 5 series and Benz E350 and Lexus ES350!? were stated as competing vehicles.
Old 10-01-10, 02:49 PM
BLAQ ICE
Driver

Cool

Originally Posted by jtrue28
From LexusEnthusiast.com

"◦GS: The next-generation GS will arrive in the spring of next year on a new shared platform and a longer wheelbase, while retaining the V6/V8/Hybrid powertrains. A GS-F has been prototype, but is not expected to make it to production. As for the styling, Automotive News says the “design of the GS will feature a long dash-to-axle ratio and a reprise of its signature stubby trunk, while the roofline will be a constant-radius swoop.”

◦IS: 2013 will see the debut of the third generation IS, which will be built on a shortened version of the GS’ shared platform.

◦LS: A redesign for the 2013 model year is expected, with a focus on reducing the weight generated by all the technology & safety features.

◦ES: Due to be redesigned as a 2012 model, the next-gen ES will be getting “more angular and active styling”, and may be offered in a hybrid.

◦HSh: Should the Prius receive a lithium battery pack in 2012, the HSh should follow.

◦SC: The next-generation SC will not be offered as a convertible.

◦LFA: A roadster version of the Lexus supercar could appear in 2014.

Most of these predictions summarize current rumors, with a few twists: No GS-F would be a disappointment, but the on-off nature of this V10 super-sedan means there’s no way to know for sure, just as there’s no way to guess if a LFA roadster will ever make it into production.

Also mentioned is the possibility of a brand new model:
VX: A seven-seat, car-based large crossover above the RX 350 is possible. Owners have told Lexus that towing is not as important as driveability and seating capacity. Lexus is studying a competitor to the BMW X6 crossover based on the next generation of the GS/IS platform.
With the RX straddling the line between small & large crossover classes, it’s hard to predict which side of the equation a new model would come up on. A large 7-seater may very well be in the works, but what about a smaller version of the RX instead?"
"Constant Radius Swoop" roofline, seems Lexus is taking one from the Porsche Panamera. I see a lot of European cars adopting this look where they also have a hatch back trunk. Will be interesting.....
Old 10-05-10, 05:42 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow Test Mule

The current Lexus GS luxury sedan has been on the market since the 2006 model year so it’s not surprising the 1st development test-mules for the next-generation model, due late next year, have been spotted. And the new car can’t come soon enough given the recent launch of the new Mercedes-Benz E-Class and BMW 5-Series, and the next-generation Audi A6 is just around the corner.

Hidden under the sheet metal of the current GS seen in these latest spy shots is a brand new platform, expected to be sportier and more efficient. Overall length is expected to shrink slightly, although the wheelbase should remain at 112.2 inches. The modified wheel arches seen here also suggest that a slightly wider track will be present on the new Lexus GS.

Fuel efficiency will be the name of the game for the 2012 Lexus GS, with a downsized V-6 engine expected to replace the current 3.5-liter mill as the entry-level option and the 3.5-liter engine going on to replace the current 4.6-liter V-8. A hybrid model will also return, most likely based around the entry-level V-6 engine.

Performance fans shouldn’t be too saddened over plans to scrap the regular V-8 model as a high-performance GS-F model will be offered for the 1st time. This car won’t pick up the high-revving 4.8-liter V-10 of the LFA supercar as previously reported, however.

Instead, it would pick up an uprated version of the 5.0-liter V-8 from the IS-F, developing around 450 horsepower and set to go on sale in 2013. Special features would include a torque vectoring differential on the rear axle and plenty of carbon-fiber to reduce weight.
Old 10-05-10, 06:11 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

^^^^ i guess Lexus did not learn the lesson. Oh well....
Old 10-05-10, 06:20 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^^

Bleh, this is just pathetic.

BMW already offers twin turbo V8 and MB will soon too, and Lexus is reducing the displacement of the V6 as an answer? It seems to me like they are trying to kill the GS on purpose.

If they want to make a model below GS350, thats fine. But they still need to have a regular V8 GS to compete, perhaps with the 5.0 from the IS-F, and tuned for better low end torque.

If they make a GS-F with current IS-F engine, it wont be able to keep up with BMW 550 and wont hold a candle to the upcoming M5. Combined with stiff suspension and low profile tires, and probably an obnoxious price tag, its destined to be an epic fail. If they want it to compete it needs a boosted, highly tuned 5.0 V8.
Old 10-05-10, 06:33 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's not get our panties in a bunch until we get more concrete details...this is just speculation for now but THANK GOD a mule has finally been spotted!
Old 10-05-10, 06:36 AM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

^Disappointing so far. And this is supposed to the first of Lexus's next-gen line-up. Let's just hope they at least improve the biggest weakness of the current GS--the poor interior room and cargo space. If they can at least do that they'll at least get the basic sales numbers covered, although they'll be still embarrassing themselves with top-end models so uncompetitive like what's rumored above.
Old 10-05-10, 06:38 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
If they make a GS-F with current IS-F engine, it wont be able to keep up with BMW 550 and wont hold a candle to the upcoming M5. Combined with stiff suspension and low profile tires, and probably an obnoxious price tag, its destined to be an epic fail. If they want it to compete it needs a boosted, highly tuned 5.0 V8.
Yo Debbie Downer...why the doom and gloom?

I don't see any reason why a 5.0L V8 GS wouldn't be able to keep up with the 550i? How do we know it's going to have stiff suspension, low profile tires, and an epic price tag?

Lot's of this:

...going on here
Old 10-05-10, 07:06 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Yo Debbie Downer...why the doom and gloom?

I don't see any reason why a 5.0L V8 GS wouldn't be able to keep up with the 550i? How do we know it's going to have stiff suspension, low profile tires, and an epic price tag?
Twin turbo torque monster vs the 5.0 that is already known for a lack of low end torque? Combined with a heavier, bigger car, it wont keep up.

Stiff suspension, low profile tires, and epic price tags all apply to IS-F, M3, C63, M5, E63, etc. What makes you think GS-F will be an exception?
Old 10-05-10, 07:17 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

^ Mostly because there is no way that they would expect a 416hp V8 to compete with a 550hp TTV8.

Also, since when is the 5.0 known to lack low end torque? Maybe in comparison to the TT V8s from BMW, but that engine is pretty stout on the low end, IMO.

I am expecting to see a de/retuned 5.0L V8 as the E550/550i competitor, and then a blown version in the GSF. At this point it will require the ISF engine to be competitive with BMW's standard V8, as noted above.

That said, I keep hearing from more than one source that the V8 has been dropped all together, so I do truly hope that isn't the case. In that recent interview, Simon Humphries mentioned a more sport-oriented focus so I am hoping that these "V8 is dead" rumors are...just rumors.
Old 10-05-10, 08:10 AM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

lol how can it possibly get any smaller? Why would they report such a thing.
Old 10-05-10, 08:43 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
lol how can it possibly get any smaller? Why would they report such a thing.
well, overall size getting smaller i have no issue, but use of space is another. the 3gs is just as inefficient as it can get

i surely hope the report is wrong on 450hp for the gsf, i don't even know what to think of that car.

we will see

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)