GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-10, 08:49 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

If Lexus decides to dumb down the base GS, wouldn't the ES be a better buy?
Old 10-05-10, 08:51 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Its just going to be a 2006 all over again. No one will buy the 450hp GS-F. GS-F is suppose to be something special, like BMW's M. Based on this report, I don't see anything special about it, especially when Infiniti's V8 M56 is capable of producing 420hp. They might as well kill the GS line and focus on IS and ES
Old 10-05-10, 08:58 AM
LexFather

I think by now its crystal clear Lexus and no Japanese brand can match the 5/E class in regards to sales and engine choices. The GS has been a distant 3rd in sales most years.

A 2.5 GSh would be great, imagine a 34MPG GS! The 3.5 should see a bump in HP. Then a newer GS 450h. Then the mighty GS F with a V-8. We have seen Lotus tune this engine for more power so it is very possible.

That would be a lineup similar to the CTS, which offers a V-8 but only in CTS-V guise.

We have recently heard talk of a turbo 2.0 coming to the CT so maybe Lexus is working on more turbos?

Old 10-05-10, 09:22 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 731 Likes on 503 Posts

I don't think a 2.5 in the GS would be a good idea. It's supposed to be the midsized sports sedan and there is nothing sporty about that engine. Save the 250h for the ES
Old 10-05-10, 09:27 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me get this straight. Lotus is getting the IS-F engine, yet they can make it turn out over 600 hp.

Lexus with the same engine, only 450 hp. Someone tell me whats wrong with that picture.

Last edited by JessePS; 10-05-10 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-05-10, 09:29 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

^^^ that's the current model. Minus the wheels, not sure where they got those
Old 10-05-10, 09:38 AM
LexFather

Jesse, Lotus added FI and hybrid power to it

Originally Posted by Allen K
I don't think a 2.5 in the GS would be a good idea. It's supposed to be the midsized sports sedan and there is nothing sporty about that engine. Save the 250h for the ES
Bottom line I want to see two things.
1. It better look good
2. There better be a GS F

I'm interested in hybrid versions but for me, its about a GS F.

Old 10-05-10, 09:53 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

I'm hoping lexus will have some sort of research survey so we can give our input
well, not sure if it matters much since they always sway from the concept

Originally Posted by Och
^^^^

Bleh, this is just pathetic.

BMW already offers twin turbo V8 and MB will soon too, and Lexus is reducing the displacement of the V6 as an answer? It seems to me like they are trying to kill the GS on purpose.

If they want to make a model below GS350, thats fine. But they still need to have a regular V8 GS to compete, perhaps with the 5.0 from the IS-F, and tuned for better low end torque.

If they make a GS-F with current IS-F engine, it wont be able to keep up with BMW 550 and wont hold a candle to the upcoming M5. Combined with stiff suspension and low profile tires, and probably an obnoxious price tag, its destined to be an epic fail. If they want it to compete it needs a boosted, highly tuned 5.0 V8.
I agree with Och
Old 10-05-10, 09:57 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 731 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Bottom line I want to see two things.
1. It better look good
2. There better be a GS F

I'm interested in hybrid versions but for me, its about a GS F.
I'm more interested in the new GSh My commute sucks and I'm a bit lukewarm on the CT. Of course I'd need more money first...
Old 10-05-10, 10:17 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
Let me get this straight. Lotus is getting the IS-F engine, yet they can make it turn out over 600 hp.

Lexus with the same engine, only 450 hp. Someone tell me whats wrong with that picture.
let me try two answers:
a. Lotus is awesome and knows much more about engines than Lexus.
b. They supercharged IS-F engine, most likely with help from Toyota engineers )))).
Old 10-05-10, 10:18 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
^^^^

Bleh, this is just pathetic.

BMW already offers twin turbo V8 and MB will soon too, and Lexus is reducing the displacement of the V6 as an answer? It seems to me like they are trying to kill the GS on purpose.

If they want to make a model below GS350, thats fine. But they still need to have a regular V8 GS to compete, perhaps with the 5.0 from the IS-F, and tuned for better low end torque.

If they make a GS-F with current IS-F engine, it wont be able to keep up with BMW 550 and wont hold a candle to the upcoming M5. Combined with stiff suspension and low profile tires, and probably an obnoxious price tag, its destined to be an epic fail. If they want it to compete it needs a boosted, highly tuned 5.0 V8.
lol... uhm 4cly S class anyone? besides, as if they knew what they are talking about anyway.
Old 10-05-10, 10:49 AM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

My impression from the article above sounds like Lexus will change the GS variants to:

GS 250/250 awd
GS 350/350 awd
GS 450h
GS F

Hopefully Lexus can revamp the GS line and make it a hit...

I'd like Lexus to keep the existing GS variants and improve on them and bring in the GS F:

GS 350/350 awd
GS 460/460 awd
GS 450h
GS F

I'm sure Lexus doesn't want to have two GS V8 variants; GS 460 and GS F or keep the GS 460 and make the GS F a V10 monster...

Last edited by Trexus; 10-05-10 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-05-10, 10:53 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i think it's silly to just look at "how much power can be squeezed out of the isf engine" and say lexus is doing a stupid job. there are a lot of things that go into the car design. if we want to talk about power, long long time ago, the celica engine, toyota race engineers already used them on the supra and pushing 600hp. does that mean we need to use that setup everywhere?

answer is no. when you put something in a car, especially a luxury car, a lot of things have to be considered. reliability, driving conditions, smoothness, quietness, cost, etc... all have to be factored.

yes, looking at the isf v8, i am more than sure doing 600hp is no problem on that engine. but it might not be as smooth, it might be too loud, it might not last as long. have you considered all that?

on the other hand, i am not giving lexus excuse. putting 450hp (if) on the gsf would be a dumb decision imho.

250 on the gs, i don't condone, but bmw is doing that on their 528, and if that helps the car sell, guess it's not my problem. i just don't pay attention to that
Old 10-05-10, 10:55 AM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
My impression from the article about sounds like Lexus will change the GS variants to:

GS 250
GS 350
GS 450h
GS F

Hopefully Lexus can revamp the GS line and make it a hit...
The article says the hybrid will likely be based around the entry-level V6, so it'll probably be a GS350h or GS300h, with the GS450h getting scraped. Unsurprising, because the GS450h really isn't much faster than the GS350, at least on paper, so they might as well downsize the hybrid and focus on fuel economy.

Last edited by Mister Two; 10-05-10 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-05-10, 11:04 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Spy Photos: 2012 Lexus GS Tests in Germany

The current Lexus GS 350, 460 and 450h have faded into the background of the midsize luxury sedan segment, but development of a succesor is well underway. This week spy photographers caught up with a prototype of the next-generation 2012 Lexus GS in Germany.

Don't get too hung up on the similarity of the grille on this mule to the current car's -- at this stage of the game, it's basically camo. Lexus officials have already said they intend to take more risks (although we use "risks" loosely when talking about Lexus) with the sedan's styling this time around in hopes of reinventing its wallflower image.

Instead, take a look at the fenders on this prototype: The track is obviously wider than the current GS 350's, and if you click through the jump, you'll see that this impression holds around back as well. The wheelbase also appears to be longer, which should open up plenty of rear legroom in the 2012 GS -- important in this class now that the dominant players, the BMW 5 Series and Mercedes-Benz E-Class, are downright huge.

Read more...

There's nothing to SEE but there's stuff to talk about. Like the fact that it's growing, for example...

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)