GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-10, 04:05 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to other publications, the Hybrid is going to take the place of the V8 model since the sales of it weren't that stellar. So if this is true then they only need to fill the void of the sporty version, which would be the F version. I think they'll undercut the M5 E63 and maybe CTS-V and price it around 70K, maybe 75K. I see the Hybrid version producing more power, and it being around 400HP in total calling it the 400H, while the 350 will have the 3.5 or maybe 350HP, and the F version around 500HP but maybe some carbon fiber bits, interior maybe to make it a bit lighter than it was, motortrend says it'll be around 3500-3600lbs! If this is true that makes it a contender, because the CTS-V the E63 and the M5 will all be around 3900-4100lbs.
Old 10-05-10, 07:55 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Some side by side comparisons of the mule and the current model to see if we can spot the differences.

Old 10-05-10, 08:43 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

TL,DR

but i read that Lexus wants to take a few more risks with the design of the 4GS.

hopefully that means more aggressive, but they can't really overdo it because the 5 and the E are relatively bland now.

and lexus could definitely use a model at the $41000 price point.
The ES starts at $35000, and the GS350 starts at $46000.
Definitely needs something midpoint.
But it can be tricky because then the ES350 would have more raw power than a GS300.

I'm interested what design direction Lexus takes for the next ES and GS coming out in the next 2 years.
Very crucial.
Old 10-05-10, 09:37 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

why would lexus need anything in the 41K point when neither benz nor bmw has that? the fact that the IS and ES and HS can reach up to 46-48K means that the GS should start around there too.
Old 10-05-10, 10:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i think this test mule is probably more about internals than external. just my feeling
Old 10-05-10, 10:20 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

I don't really care about peak horsepower output. If the GS-F has performance similar to the new M5, that's all that matters. If they achieve that with lower power (but lower weight), then great.

I'm not going to speculate on what engine Lexus will use for the GS-F or what have you. The fact is, if it doesn't perform as well as the new M5 (and costs roughly the same) it's going to be a flop. Let's be real here, that's simply the fact. The M3 was the benchmark, the ISF put up performance figures identical to the M3; hence, the ISF was a success as a first attempt. I would expect standards no less for the GS-F. It has to perform identically to the M5; otherwise, it's going to be a flop.

If it performs not as well as the new M5 but also costs significantly less, then maybe it will be considered a "bargain M5," but I doubt that buyers in this class are in real need of a "bargain" once you're talking $80K+ cars.
Old 10-05-10, 10:47 PM
RXSF

According to lexusenthusiast, autoblog has more pictures, supposedly of the F variant. It has quad exhausts.

The original pictures, I noticed that they are of the hybrid seeing as how the rear fenders are boxed off, so that its more aerodynamic

the hybrid:

versus the F

Old 10-06-10, 01:09 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

The Autoblog article also states it's a "restyle." I hope they meant redesign.

So which is coming first, the new ES or new GS? I have yet to see a new ES mule.
Old 10-06-10, 04:15 AM
CAK 500
Advanced

I have a feeling you're right, Henry. The body hacks don't look like they have anything to do with styling at all.

Good post Batman. I was gonna do that too. The only difference I can see is the tail lights.
Old 10-06-10, 06:05 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
According to other publications, the Hybrid is going to take the place of the V8 model since the sales of it weren't that stellar. So if this is true then they only need to fill the void of the sporty version, which would be the F version. I think they'll undercut the M5 E63 and maybe CTS-V and price it around 70K, maybe 75K. I see the Hybrid version producing more power, and it being around 400HP in total calling it the 400H, while the 350 will have the 3.5 or maybe 350HP, and the F version around 500HP but maybe some carbon fiber bits, interior maybe to make it a bit lighter than it was, motortrend says it'll be around 3500-3600lbs! If this is true that makes it a contender, because the CTS-V the E63 and the M5 will all be around 3900-4100lbs.
There simple HAS TO BE a V8 model. It's not all about sales numbers. The V6 version always sell more than the V8. This is nothing new. It's about image, and if they'd just go out of their way to make it a proper sports sedan like it ought to be, sales would be better. I'd be ecstatic if they could make it weigh 3600lbs, but that is what the current IS V6 weighs. Not a chance in hell I'd say. Surprise me Lexus.

Originally Posted by carLx
I don't really care about peak horsepower output. If the GS-F has performance similar to the new M5, that's all that matters. If they achieve that with lower power (but lower weight), then great.

I'm not going to speculate on what engine Lexus will use for the GS-F or what have you. The fact is, if it doesn't perform as well as the new M5 (and costs roughly the same) it's going to be a flop. Let's be real here, that's simply the fact. The M3 was the benchmark, the ISF put up performance figures identical to the M3; hence, the ISF was a success as a first attempt. I would expect standards no less for the GS-F. It has to perform identically to the M5; otherwise, it's going to be a flop.

If it performs not as well as the new M5 but also costs significantly less, then maybe it will be considered a "bargain M5," but I doubt that buyers in this class are in real need of a "bargain" once you're talking $80K+ cars.
I'd go as far as to say that it needs to outperform the M5. And, Yes, it needs to have a similar price. I'd speculate we could look as far as Lotus to see what motor the GS F could potentially use; a forced induction 2UR, ~540hp. Anything less would be unacceptable really.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The Autoblog article also states it's a "restyle." I hope they meant redesign.

So which is coming first, the new ES or new GS? I have yet to see a new ES mule.
Autoblog authors usually know jack ****. Either way, the last GS came before the ES, I'd venture to speculate that the GS ought to be here first?

Originally Posted by RXSF
According to lexusenthusiast, autoblog has more pictures, supposedly of the F variant. It has quad exhausts.

The original pictures, I noticed that they are of the hybrid seeing as how the rear fenders are boxed off, so that its more aerodynamic
I don't see any quad exhausts
Old 10-06-10, 06:51 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

According to the wall street journal dealers were shown pictures of the new 2013 Lexus GS in a recent meeting in Las Vegas.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...le+Feedfetcher

That would suggest a 2012 release, and might lead you to think that the picture we just saw is a facelift for the early release of a 2012 update.
Old 10-06-10, 07:32 AM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Blah...those aren't 'spy' photos when it's just a minor face lift.
Old 10-06-10, 07:35 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Take a closer look at the front bumper on page 14, the sides are duct taped but you can clearly see the lines which are not on 2006 - 2010 models. Also, the exhaust ? it seems like those openings are made for something similar to what LS has. The more I look at it, the more I think its just another facelift. Plus, do you all remember this thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...n-changes.html ? They are saying that in 2012 GS is getting front end changes.....
Old 10-06-10, 07:49 AM
sprintz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TWong1200
Blah...those aren't 'spy' photos when it's just a minor face lift.
I agree... I think it was a stretch to come up with conclusions about "longer wheel base", "wider track", etc. based on those photos. Looks like a tweaked 3GS to me. BUT, I've never seen pix of previous mule facades Lexus has used. Did 3GS mule(s) look much like a tweaked recent model 2GS with intentions of misleading the spies?
Old 10-06-10, 10:10 AM
RXSF

^^ sorry, quad cut outs. Also notice on the GS with the cutouts, there is a tape over where the F badges are usually placed on the front fender, which is not on the hybrid picture

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)