GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-10 | 10:15 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RXSF
^^ sorry, quad cut outs. Also notice on the GS with the cutouts, there is a tape over where the F badges are usually placed on the front fender, which is not on the hybrid picture
Looks like a sidemarker cutout
Old 10-06-10 | 10:21 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by MR_F1
There simple HAS TO BE a V8 model. It's not all about sales numbers. The V6 version always sell more than the V8. This is nothing new. It's about image, and if they'd just go out of their way to make it a proper sports sedan like it ought to be, sales would be better. I'd be ecstatic if they could make it weigh 3600lbs, but that is what the current IS V6 weighs. Not a chance in hell I'd say. Surprise me Lexus.

I'd go as far as to say that it needs to outperform the M5. And, Yes, it needs to have a similar price. I'd speculate we could look as far as Lotus to see what motor the GS F could potentially use; a forced induction 2UR, ~540hp. Anything less would be unacceptable really.
i totally agree on the v8. it's not about sales volume. to be honest if that's the case, then it's not luxury car. luxury car is about the "extra" and the "image". having v8 is need imho, especially when your biggest competitors they all have it.

regarding performance, to be very honest, if lexus put out a gsf, i am not sure if it will outperform m5. but at the same time, i don't think that's what lexus should truly aim for. bmw m goes for track performance. mb amg goes for brute force. seeing the isf, i think lexus can continue to provide a good blend of everything. i think that would be the best position for them
Old 10-06-10 | 10:22 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

If this isn't a test mule and it's really another facelift... Why? Does the GS REALLY need ANOTHER facelift?
Old 10-06-10 | 10:27 AM
RXSF

Originally Posted by Vladi
Looks like a sidemarker cutout
that doesnt explain why only one of them has it while the "hybrid" doesnt. It cant be just pure coincidence that it happens to be on the one with the quad cut out in the rear bumper
Old 10-06-10 | 01:02 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MR_F1

Autoblog authors usually know jack ****. Either way, the last GS came before the ES, I'd venture to speculate that the GS ought to be here first?

false. the ES follows the camry 5 year cycle. the GS is on a 7 year cycle.
new ES will be 2012 model.
GS will be 2013 model.

Originally Posted by RXSF
the hybrid:

i don't think that's the hybrid mule.

it looks more like an AWD mule based on huge wheel gap in the front.
also, the hybrid has special tail lights with a transparent cover.

Last edited by dunnojack; 10-06-10 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-06-10 | 01:03 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Ok this is why I think that its another facelift and nothing more,

Old 10-06-10 | 01:09 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

I dont think we'll see a redesigned GS in 2012. It looks like another facelift to me.. Ive posted this image in 3GS section, take a look

Also, those cut outs are probably not for quad exhaust, but for something similar to an LS.
Old 10-06-10 | 01:29 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

^ I agree. And I can illustrate that this facelift is fully consistent with what they did to the IS.

Old 10-06-10 | 01:40 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

The spy shot is probably a German GS owner who resorted to duct tape to fix his rattles!
Old 10-06-10 | 02:17 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

A lot of sources said the new GS will feature some common traits with this current model. So nothing is out of the tables just yet. Testing a new bumper and some taped over bits is not going to conclude that were just seeing a refresh. They could just be testing new components ...no one knows
Old 10-06-10 | 02:38 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
I dont think we'll see a redesigned GS in 2012. It looks like another facelift to me.. Ive posted this image in 3GS section, take a look

[IMG]http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/476/gsmule1.jpg[/IMG

Also, those cut outs are probably not for quad exhaust, but for something similar to an LS.

2012 being the final year, I doubt they'll do a facelift or anything at all. They had their chance in 2011, and they chose to keep everything the same as 2008.

i see it as nothing more than an early mule for the 4GS with certain design elements that might show up on the next gen.
I'm guessing the 4GS is going for a more chiseled appearance.
Old 10-06-10 | 03:58 PM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R

There are virtually no differences for it to be a facelift. The headlights, taillights, bumper designs are the same. The only explanation is that Lexus is testing the new GS by using the current GS body. Lexus has done this before on its test mules. Look at the bumpers and you can see that all that tape which is masking the wider bumper to accommodate the increased track of the new platform.
Old 10-06-10 | 04:46 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by rominl
i think this test mule is probably more about internals than external. just my feeling
^^ Seems logical.....

Also, here is a post of a similar IS test mule. Running the same exact plates!!

Looks to me we are at the beginning stages of a MY 2013 IS & GS re-launch, sometime late in 2012.

Millions of dollars are spent on refreshes and I highly doubt we are getting a 1 year refresh on the current 2011 IS that was just released for sale..
or even a possible GS refresh, is just not making sense right now..

According to my sources deep in the mountains of Japan, the GS-F is coming.....

Best Regards,

Joe Z

Originally Posted by MLevinson
Not much to see here, but enough to get me excited

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/06/s...es-the-rounds/

Old 10-06-10 | 05:14 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dunnojack
false. the ES follows the camry 5 year cycle. the GS is on a 7 year cycle.
new ES will be 2012 model.
GS will be 2013 model.
My speculation might be wrong, but the last GS did come out before the ES. Fact.
Old 10-06-10 | 05:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

i think a lot of you are paying way too much attention on the exterior. i am not saying that it can't be a facelift, but after so many years looking at all the spy / prototype / test car pictures, it's nothing more than everyone's guess.

what i can say is, a lot of times, companies started testing internal (meaning engine, drivetrain, etc...) first. they don't necessarily need a new exterior to test that, and in fact doing it on a almost current model looking car is perfect, coz' that won't draw as much attention

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)