GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-10, 06:15 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
From my "understanding" the design will have more flair than the current GS in regards to design and use of environmentally sound materials. A priority has been made in the use of stitching, leather and build quality with use of softer plastics. I have also heard some sort of "trick" gauge cluster whatever that means.

Toyota is debuting something called "intuit" which is their version of Ford sync but supposedly better. I assume the GS will be the first Lexus to also debut some sort of integrated technology piece in regards to phone, GPS, music,Lexus Enform, etc.
I'm interested about those gauges now .

Originally Posted by batman75
Conceptually this sounds great. I hope intuit is based on either Microsoft or Google tech. I am skeptical that Toyota can develop their own voice recognition software and OS and have it be better than Microsoft or Google. Adding features like what KIA did with their version of Sync makes sense.

Also environmentally sound materials sounds worrying too. I interpret that as bio-degradeable, which makes me think the dash will start to weaken over time resulting in noises and visible wear. I remember all the electrical issues Mercedes had back when they used bio-degradeable wiring. The problem is the test mules aren't driven for 5 years so they don't notice these issues till its too late.

Use of more leather, wood, french stitching sounds fantastic. I would hope the whole dash is leather covered like in the LS600 and Jag XF, or at least stitched synthetic leather like the Cadillac CTS.
I think it's possible to have environmentally sound materials without decreasing durability.
Old 10-12-10, 09:11 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where do you get that info from? When did I say they should use a bunch of carbon fiber? They don't have to use CF to save weight. Lighter weight can be used in the chassis with different metals and alloys. The interior could save weight with lighter seats, different materials used, less sound deadening etc. Lighter wheels, lighter body panels, different engine materials... you get the picture.
Old 10-12-10, 10:59 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Don't know exactly where to post this.

But since the CT200h hybrid is having this "mouse-like" feature to navigate through the dash, instead of it being Touch Screen.

Does that mean that we can expect all future models, including the new GS and IS body's to have the same mouse-like feature?
Old 10-12-10, 11:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Incredible
Don't know exactly where to post this.

But since the CT200h hybrid is having this "mouse-like" feature to navigate through the dash, instead of it being Touch Screen.

Does that mean that we can expect all future models, including the new GS and IS body's to have the same mouse-like feature?
rx, hs, and ct are all like that, and yes, that will very likely be the future. especially if it's true that lexus will put a 12" screen, then for sure it's up high and touch screen won't be feasible coz' of distance
Old 10-12-10, 11:43 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
rx, hs, and ct are all like that, and yes, that will very likely be the future. especially if it's true that lexus will put a 12" screen, then for sure it's up high and touch screen won't be feasible coz' of distance
How does the mouse feel? Does it feel natural, or you haven't tried one out yet?

I use a mighty mouse (apple), and I'm hoping that the feel is somewhat similar to what I have, without the multitouch interface.
Old 10-13-10, 07:37 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 211 Likes on 145 Posts

it feels fine...even "clicks" to icons. the problem will be typing in addresses, plus it's just easier/faster to touch the screen to do what you want. which is where I think they're trying to sell their "eDestination" service that must be paid for after the initial trial period.
Old 10-13-10, 09:04 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Incredible
How does the mouse feel? Does it feel natural, or you haven't tried one out yet?

I use a mighty mouse (apple), and I'm hoping that the feel is somewhat similar to what I have, without the multitouch interface.
imho, it feels pretty good and i got used to it pretty quickly. i have no issue with it. but i think you have to really try and see. it's pretty good with the snap on feature and also the motion feedback
Old 10-13-10, 02:34 PM
mikesm
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
I'm not sure that you have to push it up and out of the way to make it fit. If they are redoing the dashboard, it can be placed in a way to make the 12" screen very accessible. But it depends on what your goals are.

If it is a sync variant, it will be a touchscreen system, as sync really depends on that model for the human interface. Android has the same model. Basically anything designed for portable devices these days is touch based.

I haven't heard anything about this "intuit" system - does anyone have any pointers on it?
Old 10-13-10, 03:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

the info says it's going to be 12" wide screen (not 6x4). look at the new 5 series, it has a 10.5" wide screen and you can see how wide it is. the gs is in the same league and if it's going to be 12" wide screen, fitting is down south and i don't see how it's going to fit in the console.
Old 10-13-10, 06:11 PM
LB23
Driver

Toyota to Offer Lexus Rebates to Spur Brand's U.S. Sales
By MIKE RAMSEY

LAS VEGAS—Toyota Motor Corp. plans to offer rebates of up to $3,000 as well as subsidized financing on certain models in its Lexus brand as part of a drive to help the luxury brand goose sales and pass rival Mercedes-Benz by the end of the year, according to two people briefed by the company at a dealer meeting here.

Lexus has been the top-selling luxury make in the U.S. market for more than a decade but has fallen behind Mercedes this year. In the first nine months of 2010, Lexus has sold 162,438 vehicles, just behind Mercedes's total of 165,362.

At a gathering of Lexus dealers from across the country–the first such meeting in two years—company executives said Toyota is prepared to boost incentives in the next few weeks to spur sales, these people said. The incentives will low-interest financing and subsidized leases in addition to rebates, they said.

The meeting included an address by Toyota Chief Executive Akio Toyoda and was designed to fire up dealers after a rough year. Toyota and Lexus suffered sales slumps after quality and safety problems flared up earlier this year that were related to complaints some of their vehicles had a tendency to accelerate suddenly on their own.

Toyota eventually recalled more than eight million vehicles to fix problems with floor mats and gas pedals, and was ordered by U.S. regulators to pay a fine of $16.4 million, the maximum possible, for failing to report safety defects promptly enough.

Lexus's sales have increased just 8.7% so far this year, while the overall market has grown 10.3% and Mercedes's sales have jumped 21.3%.

Lexus is still ringing up strong sales of its RX sport-utility vehicle, but increasing numbers of consumers have come to see the look of some other Lexus models as uninspiring.

In Las Vegas, people briefed by Toyota said, dealers were told Lexus is planning a new advertising spots showing an RX 350 on top of a copy machine spitting out pictures of Mercedes and BMW models–implying competitors are trying to follow Lexus in the luxury SUV segment.

Dealers were also shown a version of the 2013 Lexus GS sedan, which will be redesigned for that model year, these people said.
Toyota's leadership also is intent on appealing to younger buyers and is making a push in that direction. The average Lexus owner is 59 years old. Mercedes-Benz customers are 54 and BMW owners are 52 on average, according to Strategic Vision.

Lexus' efforts to gain more younger buyers can be seen in the new CT 200h, a five-door compact hybrid that will go on sale early next year in the U.S. Lexus also begins delivering its $375,000 carbon-fiber-wrapped LFA in January. The super sports car is a personal project of Mr. Toyoda, who is trying to put more juice in the auto maker's designs and powertrains.
Old 10-13-10, 06:48 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

^^^ We'll see how much juice Mr.Toyoda will put into the 4GS.

I wonder if any dealers secretly snapped a few photos of the new GS ?
Old 10-13-10, 11:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R

given how careful lexus has been, don't think any pics were taken
Old 10-14-10, 01:11 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikesm
I'm not sure that you have to push it up and out of the way to make it fit. If they are redoing the dashboard, it can be placed in a way to make the 12" screen very accessible. But it depends on what your goals are.

If it is a sync variant, it will be a touchscreen system, as sync really depends on that model for the human interface. Android has the same model. Basically anything designed for portable devices these days is touch based.

I haven't heard anything about this "intuit" system - does anyone have any pointers on it?
Having a 12" touch screen would result in some serious glare in the interior during sunny days. That is a lot of screen surface area to pick up glare from. I don't think a 12" touch screen would be very practical. A screen that big would almost necessitate a communication/access device like Remote Touch. Also having the screen recessed would be basically a necessity as well to reduce glare.

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R

He wasn't president when 4GS development started so I don't think he made a huge impact on the 4GS. However, like the ISF and LFA I'm sure he had a lot of involvement with the GSF.
Old 10-14-10, 04:16 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What if they used the 611hp supercharged 5.0 V8 that they are offering Lotus for the Lotus Elite? It's a supercharged ISF engine and could be made available very soon.
Old 10-14-10, 04:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by batman75
What if they used the 611hp supercharged 5.0 V8 that they are offering Lotus for the Lotus Elite? It's a supercharged ISF engine and could be made available very soon.
could be a solution, but i wonder if lexus will put FI in their lineup. i don't mind though

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)