GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-10, 11:13 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

As I have been reporting for months, the next Gen IS & GS will be a MY 2013

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 10-16-10 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-15-10, 02:07 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Another argument against forced induction solutions.

From Autoblog: Class action suit alleges BMW N54 turbo engine unsafe, causes Unintended Deceleration

The award-winning BMW N54 inline-six has been a hit around the world since it made its debut in the 2006 E90 335i. The twin-turbocharged engine produces around 300 horsepower and 300 pound-feet of torque and many have actually suggested that the Bavarian automaker's power figures have been conservative. When it came out, BMW promised this engine would virtually eliminate turbo lag, increase performance and improve fuel economy at the same time. In fact, it was so confident in its new engine that it spread it around, adding it to its 1, 3 and 5 Series cars, along with its Z4 sports cars and X6 crossovers.

Unfortunately, the N54 has also seen its fair share of owner complaints. Most notably, unhappy BMW drivers allege having two very important issues with the wündermill; the high-pressure fuel pump has a very high failure rate and a defect in the design of the turbochargers requires they be tweaked so as not to run at full capacity. Many BMW owners have officially had it with the N54 engine and a class-action lawsuit has kicked into gear.

The lawsuit, initiated by the legal firm of Kershaw, Cutter and Ratinoff, LLC of California alleges BMW produced an engine that suffers from serious defects. The aforementioned fuel pump is evidently prone to failure, and when they go south, the car loses power and goes into 'limp mode' since it can't drink gasoline. Such failures could have serious safety ramifications depending on when and where the pump packs up. According to Autoblog sister site Daily Finance, this isn't the first lawsuit regarding N54 problems.

According to the law firm, the problem with the turbochargers is that defective examples cannot run at full capacity, resulting in strange noises underhood and noticeable throttle lag. BMW had initiated a software update, which made it so the turbochargers were "fixed," but apparently all they did was stop the turbos from being allowed to run at full tilt. This, in turn, resulted in a loss of power and noticeable lag, one of the very issues the N54's architecture was designed to eliminate.

Among other details, the KC&L class action (official press release below) alleges that BMW knowingly hid these defects not just from customers, but also from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, and the suit is looking to legally compel BMW into a recall.
Old 10-15-10, 08:38 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by batman75
What if they used the 611hp supercharged 5.0 V8 that they are offering Lotus for the Lotus Elite? It's a supercharged ISF engine and could be made available very soon.
Lotus mentioned that Toyota would be offering "custom" powertrain solutions for Lotus vehicles so that means Toyota or Lexus models may not necessarily get the same engines.

For example, Toyota's 2ZZ-GE was offered in a variety of supercharged forms on certain models of the Elise and the Exige as well. No Toyota or Lexus vehicles ever used the supercharged 2ZZ-GE.

I doubt that the GSF would use a supercharged ISF V8, first and foremost for reliability reasons.

Originally Posted by Joe Z
As I have been reporting for months, the next Gen IS & GS will me a MY 2013

Joe Z
The MY 2011 GS has a short life cycle correct? Or does it have a longer life cycle? Would the MY 2012 GS then have a shortened cycle in preparation for the MY 2013 GS debut?

Also would that mean that we won't see new the GS debut until late next year? Any info on when the new GS world premiere would occur?
Old 10-16-10, 04:52 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

would be nice of 4gs shared some of this styling

Old 10-16-10, 06:26 PM
twylie
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't even know what the E63 base msrp is. I don't like Mercedes Benz based on historical experience. I only am interested in BMW and Lexus.

While I don't know what the GSF is like, I automatically asssume it will be inferior to the M5. While you could make a fuss about pre-conceptions, my sense is that most people will view it that way and so they will have to compete on value initially at least. Yes 85k is less than an f10 M5. But when the 550xi does 0-60 in 4.6 seconds, and has an option of 100hp extra for an extra $3000 dinan package, the GSF will need to have a quarter mile time faster than the E60 M5 and a 0-60 close to 4. I have a feeling that is unlikely.

Maybe I will be proven wrong.
performance and value are getting tossed on their ear with comparisons between the M3 and the new Mustang GT for example. Granted the fit and finish as well as interior are likely inferior in the Ford, but you're talking nearly $30k in price difference. It's not like the Mustang is only about numbers; it's getting some great reviews of track performance and driving feel. Even though it's unlikely anyone shopping for an M3 would consider the new Mustang GT, it's amazing that Ford can produce what is on paper a competitor for that vast difference in price. Hopefully Lexus can pull some similar magic on new models.

The 4G GS will debut about the time I'm due for a new company car and I'm looking forward to a high powered or sport version being available.
Old 10-16-10, 07:16 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Default TMC to Use Bio-PET 'Ecological Plastic' in Vehicle Interiors

http://www2.toyota.co.jp/en/news/10/10/1013.html

Originally Posted by Toyota
Toyota City, Japan, October 13, 2010—Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC) announces it plans to make vehicle liner material and other interior surfaces from a new "Ecological Plastic"1 that features the world's first use of bio-PET2. Starting with the luggage-compartment liner in the Lexus "CT200h" due at the beginning of 2011, TMC plans to increase both the number of vehicle series featuring the new material, as well as the amount of vehicle-interior area covered by it, and intends to introduce a vehicle model in 2011 in which Ecological Plastic will cover 80 percent of the vehicle interior.

The epoch-making bio-PET-based Ecological Plastic—developed with Toyota Tsusho Corporation—is characterized by: 1) enhanced performance (heat-resistance, durability performance, shrink resistance) compared to conventional bio-plastics and performance parity with petroleum-based PET, 2) the potential to approach the cost-per-part performance of petroleum-based plastics through volume production and 3) usability in seats and carpeting and other interior components that require a high level of performance unattainable by hitherto Ecological Plastic.
Could this possibly be the new GS, or will this be another model?

Toyota claims this new bio-plastic they have developed performs as well as regular plastic and is superior to existing bio-plastic.
Old 10-19-10, 08:46 PM
LB23
Driver

Originally Posted by Joe Z
As I have been reporting for months, the next Gen IS & GS will be a MY 2013

Joe Z
U know, if you ask me, 2013 MY sounds about right. (7 years after the 3G)
Probably an early 2013 MY thou.
Thats been my thinking all the way.
But thats about it, just my point of view.
Old 10-19-10, 08:49 PM
LB23
Driver

Oh yeah, that would be cool!
Old 10-19-10, 08:50 PM
LB23
Driver

Originally Posted by twylie
performance and value are getting tossed on their ear with comparisons between the M3 and the new Mustang GT for example. Granted the fit and finish as well as interior are likely inferior in the Ford, but you're talking nearly $30k in price difference. It's not like the Mustang is only about numbers; it's getting some great reviews of track performance and driving feel. Even though it's unlikely anyone shopping for an M3 would consider the new Mustang GT, it's amazing that Ford can produce what is on paper a competitor for that vast difference in price. Hopefully Lexus can pull some similar magic on new models.

The 4G GS will debut about the time I'm due for a new company car and I'm looking forward to a high powered or sport version being available.
I love love the new 5.0
Old 10-20-10, 07:16 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Just found this. Probably wont look anything like it, but thought I would post it anyway.
Old 10-20-10, 07:47 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GFerg
Just found this. Probably wont look anything like it, but thought I would post it anyway.
Front end of that reminds me of Toyota Solara
Old 10-21-10, 11:26 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

That definitely doesn't look like a GS, it looks more like a Toyota model. This is possibly a hint of what the next-gen Crown or Camry will look like.
Old 10-22-10, 11:41 PM
Lexzam
Driver

LC 600h, what's that? Successor of SC430? Not much to do with GS, but very interesting.
Old 10-23-10, 04:16 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
oh good. a blurry photoshopped drawing.

looks like the next IS, or toyota crown.
Old 10-23-10, 08:40 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^That image looks like the European Ford sedan, I forget what it's called, but it looks good (the Ford). This for a Toyota Camry would be great, but not a GS. I see styling cues in that picture of the last generation Acura TL. Turn signal behind the front wheel arch going along the beltline.

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)